Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that sometimes LE advises immediate family to not participate in searches, for various reasons.
Let's not forget, LE didn't let BM's Fire buddies help in the search originally.
I can understand why someone related might not want to be out in the field, attracting attention to the small search group, etc. But appearing at the headquarters where groups are congregating, well-meaning, non searcher people are stopping by, I could see myself at a table or booth with photos of my loved one, a guest book to sign, just for moral support. For myself and for caring strangers.

It was said that Jeff was a sub, so he would require insurance as well. If not, this would be the first time that Barry hired him as a worker. I’m going down the rabbithole 0f 1099s and worker’s comp and hold harmless agreements. This job was not simply planting shrubs in someone’s backyard. Barry would be stupid to not have the proper coverage and contracts in place. Def would have need a COI or they would have closed it down.
Agreed.

I must have missed where it was said Jeff was a sub? My impression was that he was hired for labor only.

I can understand why someone related might not want to be out in the field, attracting attention to the small search group, etc. But appearing at the headquarters where groups are congregating, well-meaning, non searcher people are stopping by, I could see myself at a table or booth with photos of my loved one, a guest book to sign, just for moral support. For me and for caring strangers.
I would honestly need to be out there looking, but that's just me.
But I would not want my children out there looking for their loved one. That could just be too devastating if they came across anything.
I like your idea about being at the headquarters tho. That's a great idea and they would feel like they were contributing in some way to help find their mom.

It was kind of weird how they made it sound like some seedy roach motel in the DM article. Holida Inn Express is pretty standard decent hotel as far as I'm concerned.

I agree! Please allow me to rant for a minute... It is my family’s vacation hotel because they are 4 star rated, clean, modern, in good, safe locations, affordable and you get a good bang for your buck with the included breakfast that isn’t your standard watered-down Continental breakfast. It’s a hearty, all-you-can-eat buffet style breakfast. Add to it all the other amenities like pool, gym, etc. and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find a comparable hotel for the price.

Trust me, I researched hotels and settled on HI Express many years ago, in particular for the reasons listed above. Plus, you can find one near almost every major US entertainment attraction, convention center or airport. My large family vacations several times every summer and we have always been satisfied with our choice. We are reward club members and everything!

I know I sound like a spokeperson or something, LOL, but HI Express is a huge part of our vacation plans every year and always gives us a fuzzy, warm feeling when we drive by one because of the memories.

That’s why I was surprised the “cheap motel” referred to in the DM article was a HI Express! Far from it. Even more surprising is how many US citizens don’t seem to know of them. It may not be the 4 Seasons, but I wonder what hotels the majority are staying at that they’ve never heard of or stayed at a HI Express?

Agreed.

I must have missed where it was said Jeff was a sub? My impression was that he was hired for labor only.
IIRC at the beginning of the NG podcast yesterday, JP was described as a subcontractor that Barry had hired for the job. Later it morphed, by Barry, into being no more than a hired hand he had given help to out of the kindness of his heart or something.

Last edited:
I agree! Please allow me to rant for a minute... It is my family’s vacation hotel because they are 4 star rated, clean, modern, in good, safe locations, affordable and you get a good bang for your buck with the included breakfast that isn’t your standard watered-down Continental breakfast. It’s a hearty, all-you-can-eat buffet style breakfast. Add to it all the other amenities like pool, gym, etc. and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to find a comparable hotel for the price.

Trust me, I researched hotels and settled on HI Express many years ago, in particular for the reasons listed above. Plus, you can find one near almost every major US entertainment attraction, convention center or airport. My large family vacations several times every summer and we have always been satisfied with our choice. We are reward club members and everything!

I know I sound like a spokeperson or something, LOL, but HI Express is a huge part of our vacation plans every year and always gives us a fuzzy, warm feeling when we drive by one because of the memories.

That’s why I was surprised the “cheap motel” referred to in the DM article was a HI Express! Far from it. Even more surprising is how many US citizens don’t seem to know of them. It may not be the 4 Seasons, but I wonder what hotels the majority are staying at that they’ve never heard of or stayed at a HI Express?
I’ve stayed in some “cheap motels,” the kind where I feel compelled to peak out the window periodically to make sure no one is breaking into my car.

That HH Express is the equivalent of the Ritz, compared to those places. That was done to sensationalize.

Chris & Mike from PE did say on the CourtTv interview that the search would be coordinated with deputies. I'm hoping LE at least gives them some good geographic ideas.

Also, I haven't seen much of Vinnie Politan in forever. If Beth Karas shows up anytime soon, I'm going to think I'm living a deja vu!

I was a CourtTV junkie in the old days!

It was kind of weird how they made it sound like some seedy roach motel in the DM article. Holida Inn Express is pretty standard decent hotel as far as I'm concerned.

I was looking at a site development plan for the hotel and while scrolling, ended up seeing the dumpster area. I wonder where Barry was parked while at the hotel, and if he ended up using that dumpster.

It will be interesting if LE is giving any assistance in SM brothers private search. If they are, what would that look like? I don't believe they have confirmed however, even though a news outlet said they are, IIRC.

I can almost bet they are concerned about the safety of the searchers, especially in that terrain and if they get the numbers they are asking for. Perhaps they think they should offer some sort of assistance. I would be floored if they gave them specifics areas of interest based on their own investigation findings. They are tight lipped, they confirmed it even more with their press release yesterday. Also, will they (LE) put any $$$$ into this private search? I'm sure they are close to budget, if not over. They will have to account for every dollar spent, down to the fuel cost for each running vehicle used. It will be later scrutinized. This is done without the emotion of the situation. It's numbers.

Think I'm off my rocker, but if there are any passionate environmentalist who think sensitive terrain will be trampled on, they will cause a ruckus. Some property owners will say, you don't have permission to search my property. This happens sometimes and can become dicey. IMO

I would honestly need to be out there looking, but that's just me.
But I would not want my children out there looking for their loved one. That could just be too devastating if they came across anything.
I like your idea about being at the headquarters tho. That's a great idea and they would feel like they were contributing in some way to help find their mom.
At this point, whether or not anyone likes it or chooses it, more attention will be garnered by avoiding any participation in the search effort. I think by now, BM has probably convinced loved ones that even if she is found, someone who knew her "well" did it, or some stranger, and that SM was OK with the idea if only someone else was saved (his own words in public media, paraphrased). Even if she's found, there is not necessarily any evidence that ties it back to him, if he was very very careful.

Recently a beloved dog of mine died of old age, it was expected, but still. Every time I walk by her grave in my garden I think of how devastated I would be if she had been lost somewhere. And she was a dog. I just can't imagine the pain of not knowing.

Last edited:

That's pure DM sensationalizing. There are plenty of similar 'budget' chains in the UK - as well as truly seedy dives.

Agreed! My definition of a "cheap motel" is one that advertises on its sign one of the following "Color TV, Phone in Room, or Air Conditioning". HI Express certainly doesn't qualify, lol.

I agree, I thought that was in poor taste. They also have no idea how much of the money remains, so if there isn't much. That puts MM in an awkward position entirely not of her own doing.

I agree. I wondering if they were simply riffing about the GF* beneficiary name change, or perhaps reasoned that it might just draw out BM, as protective parent, but it struck me as clumsy, if not callous.

I'm always a bit wary these days watching a possible POI with guardianship or custody of children being heavily pressured by LE, online media and SM, or any combo of the above, having watched the Susan Powell case develop. So much "heat," so much danger, and so much horror that some here were concerned about even as the fallout began. I don't see BM as necessarily in the JP mould, but there are definitely similarities: the element of fervent and/or defensive religion/religiosity, uncertain family dynamics and a central character who is reportedly both volatile and controlling, has already exhibited some odd behaviour (incoherent/confused speech patterns, lying down the mountain, etc) recently, and may also have restricted communication of SM's daughters.

I think we can be pretty confident that LE is on top of this case. I guess I also feel like externals like PE should consider dialling think down a bit -- their role is properly as commentators, analysts, archivists, IMO, not active participants in an ongoing case. Feels a bit like opening a blind onto the wards I'm doing rounds on and having a cohort of the public weighing in on patient diagnosis, treatment plans, etc. I really don't need to see Youtubers, even retired LE Youtubers, "calling out" the BMs of this world in real time, let alone their innocent young family members, and I'm not going to cheer them on as they do so. Again, all MOO, MHO, YYMV, etc.

Last edited:
Reportedly, BM arrived in Denver/Broomfield area on Sunday morning and JP, BM's hired hand, arrived on Sunday evening after BM left for Salida (after the neighbor reported SM missing). By all accounts, BM showered in the room intended for JP, and left the wet towels strewn on the bathroom floor.

I think BM did so due to his character. It was rude and disrespectful. I can't think of any other reason. BM's also bit old for the frat house. MOO
He also may have been in a frenzied hurry believing, if we are to believe it, that JP was due at 6pm - which would coincide with BM's travel time back to Salida?

I was a CourtTV junkie in the old days!

I was looking at a site development plan for the hotel and while scrolling, ended up seeing the dumpster area. I wonder where Barry was parked while at the hotel, and if he ended up using that dumpster.

While I don’t recall there being cameras in the hallways, I believe they are everywhere else. LE has their footage and have seen his movements no doubt.

Anyone know if this volunteer rescue group needs to buy a liability policy for the search?

Also do they need written permission from land owners to search their property?

Hope they have plenty of first-aid trained volunteers going out with them in case of accidents, snakebites etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ty1220