Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only case I've followed that they haven't found the body is the Fotis Dulos case, and that was only because someone discovered the grave out in the middle of nowhere than Kent Malwhinney dug. They're very good at finding bodies.
There have been 500 ish no body murder cases in the United States. Law enforcement is good if they know where to look though.

Didn’t make a different in the Kelsey Berreth case, wouldn’t have made a difference in the Gannon Stauch case (they did ultimately find him), and shouldn’t make a difference here.

MOO in big letters. I don’t think Suzanne had any plans of going to Indiana for the wedding. The timing doesn’t fit. That’s all I will say. I feel like the PE guys right now-it would be very out of character for Suzanne to stop responding to texts/messages on that particular day without a very bad reason. It would not be a day where texts would just drift off and stop, or she would have to do something else and text later or the next day. There’s so much out there that we will eventually talk about.
Why are you so firmly set that SM would not attend the wedding? I understood that she would not miss this event unless COVID19 interfered which can mean many things including an outbreak at the venue and it gets canceled. This happened to my cousin last month.

I think anyone saying "She was/is the light of my life" is creepy.

Having been married for 20+ years, I love my wife. She gets me, and I get her. Neither one of us is perfect. But she is not a light, nor am I hers. People who try to project perfection....

Well....

My $0.02

I think someone saying that, knowing that it's a fairly common saying among certain folks, and knowing that said person likely didn't mean it all, but said it because he might have thought it would be expected of him... is way creepier.

jmo

And that’s my read, absent of your solid insight. I just don’t think when all is said and done, we’ll hear about evidence that Barry planned this for any length of time. In fact, I don’t think he woke up that morning knowing he would murder his wife.

Despite that, legally, this very well could meet the definition of premeditated murder, but everything after that looks sloppy as all hell.

Your wife’s description of him seems to jibe with some of the things we’ve heard. I think he lost his temper, and
I agree. It’s all about image. The following are thoughts I’ve had, all based on speculation and supposition.

IMO he’s all flash, no cash. Everything he owns has to be the biggest, best, newest, shiniest and he will go into debt to maintain his image. He loves playing with his manly tools and machinery like a kid with Tonka trucks. I think they had a very traditional marriage for many years. He worked and told her how to spend his money. Her life was her family, her home, her church.

The girls are growing up and starting to go off in their own directions. Suzanne feels it’s time for her to start living her best life. She’d like get out and do things as a couple but he has no time for that. Maybe she tries voicing her opinion about business matters and he really doesn’t like that. Barry has no interest in this new Suzanne. She becomes more active in her church and with friends. She develops outside interests. Even worse, she starts sharing her thoughts and feelings about the state of the marriage with her friends. Barry feels something has to change so he moves her to Colorado, where she has no one but him. Suzanne
doesn’t like the isolation and misses her family and friends. I get the feeling she was seriously entertaining thoughts of moving back to Indiana. She may have wanted to hold off on the sale of the house as an option to return to Indiana. That would infuriate him, “Why can’t she be happy in this million dollar house I bought for her?”

I go back and forth between Barry having a long premeditated plan or a spur of the moment reaction to something Suzanne did or said. The moving to Colorado could have been Step One in the long term plan.

all JMO
I agree. It’s all about image. The following are thoughts I’ve had, all based on speculation and supposition.

IMO he’s all flash, no cash. Everything he owns has to be the biggest, best, newest, shiniest and he will go into debt to maintain his image. He loves playing with his manly tools and machinery like a kid with Tonka trucks. I think they had a very traditional marriage for many years. He worked and told her how to spend his money. Her life was her family, her home, her church.

The girls are growing up and starting to go off in their own directions. Suzanne feels it’s time for her to start living her best life. She’d like get out and do things as a couple but he has no time for that. Maybe she tries voicing her opinion about business matters and he really doesn’t like that. Barry has no interest in this new Suzanne. She becomes more active in her church and with friends. She develops outside interests. Even worse, she starts sharing her thoughts and feelings about the state of the marriage with her friends. Barry feels something has to change so he moves her to Colorado, where she has no one but him. Suzanne doesn’t like the isolation and misses her family and friends. I get the feeling she was seriously entertaining thoughts of moving back to Indiana. She may have wanted to hold off on the sale of the house as an option to return to Indiana. That would infuriate him, “Why can’t she be happy in this million dollar house I bought for her?”

I go back and forth between Barry having a long premeditated plan or a spur of the moment reaction to something Suzanne did or said. The moving to Colorado could have been Step One in the long term plan.

all JMO

You’ve read my mind.... I go back & forth on premeditated. Too many coincidences add up, in my mind!

Any man who injures wife and his actions end up with her dead, gets a huge black mark in my book of humans!

But a husband who kills his wife, albeit maybe accidentally, but then goes through extraordinary efforts to conceal her death and what he’s done, is no better than any other “Chris Watts“ in my world! If he’s guilty, I hope he is miserable for the rest of his life. Suzanne’s daughters deserved better as SM did well.

Have a great holiday weekend!

Why are you so firmly set that SM would not attend the wedding? I understood that she would not miss this event unless COVID19 interfered which can mean many things including an outbreak at the venue and it gets canceled. This happened to my cousin last month.
Yes, it did sound clear SM was going to go and help with the wedding, if she was covid cleared.

Directly from Facebook’s site:

Help Center

When continuous contact uploading is turned on, Facebook will automatically upload your contacts from your phone or tablet whenever you log into your Facebook account.

Continuous contact uploading is only available on iOS or Android devices. Learn how to upload contacts or delete contacts you've uploadedfrom your mobile device.

Keep in mind:
  • Turning off contact uploading in the Facebook app doesn't automatically turn off contact uploading in the Messenger app. Learn how to manage contact uploading on Messenger.
  • If you use the Facebook app on more than one phone or tablet, you'll need to turn off continuous contact uploading on each one.

Help Center

How does Facebook use my info to show suggestions in People You May Know?

If you upload your contacts through the Facebook app, learn how to manage contact uploading. If someone has uploaded their contacts and it includes your mobile phone number or email address, you may show up as friend suggestions for each other
I’m way behind reading posts but has someone suggested that Barry May have taken out the SIM card out of his phone and put it into a different phone to fake his GPS location? Teenagers do that these days to trick their parents into thinking they are one place when they are really out somewhere else. When you put the SIM card into the wiped phone, it would then upload your data and contacts. It would make sense that it would also load your Facebook data.

CCSO can't arrest in a vacuum. You don't arrest without probable cause and DA on board with charges. Don't forget that Colorado doesn't use a grand jury to indict. They level charges and prosecute on the information.

Hi @Seattle1. So Colorado doesn’t use a Grand Jury to indict? When I was researching Grand Jury in Co the other night I found this article (will link below) which really helped me understand what a Grand Jury is and does. But it’s an older article from 2015. So does Co no longer use a Grand Jury at all or do you mean a GJ could be used but only to obtain information and subpoena witnesses and then the D.A. files charges? My understanding was that a GJ is an option to determine if a case is strong enough to prosecute? I was wondering before if a GJ would be used in Suzanne’s case and if they could call BM’s employees to testify in secret?

Who would make the final decision to arrest BM? There was some discussion about waiting to arrest and try BM until after the election in November. If they have enough to arrest BM now would the current D.A. be on board with waiting? Or would she be offended if everyone thought she was going to lose the election and there would be a better chance of winning with the new D.A.? Thanks in advance if you have a little time for some D.A. & Grand Jury 101! :)

The Denver Post Online: Today's News

Last edited:
BM said he was going to prepare the jobsite because he had workers coming in on Sunday night. Didn't he say it was Sunday morning in another interview? Or at one point made contradicting statements to different people?

Yes indeed this is correct. He did make contradicting statements about his crew, and while I do not have the links handy I believe one statement was to TD and the other to LS.

It's all locked down now. If you pay someone over $600/yr, they are sent a 1099 and you report the payments to the feds (using their TIN/SS numbers).
If the 1099 recipient does not file a tax return reporting the income, I imagine there is a cross reference check & balance whereby the IRS will pursue you mercilessly.
Not every employer does this though, JS
Pays in cash, NO 1099, NO IRS.

Yes, it did sound clear SM was going to go and help with the wedding, if she was covid cleared.

I’m putting this in that same place as the mistaken hour of the last communication. I think a lot of times the blanks get filled in and when we reflect back on exactly what was stated vs what was conjecture/supposition, things change a bit or become more clear. I just want them to get Barry for what he did, and trust that the truth will come out soon.

Does anyone have the date for the upcoming wedding? If not, it could've been 1 week off or 6 months.
Everything was shut down in NY by late May, early June. I know CO weren't hit like NY was, but still.
That would help us narrow it down, knowing the date or even date-ish.

Question as regards procedures:

If BM were to be declared a POI what does that mean effectively? In terms of rights.

Can LE bring him in for questioning for 24 hours without declaring him a POI, or under suspicion of any specific crime? Does it have to be specific, or can it be just checking out details?

If this hasnt been done, can we assume that LE has enough to go with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot