Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The suggestions were definitely happening prior to news of her disappearance. I don't believe it would have been a result of people snooping SM's FB page because of that. JMO.
I think he was impersonating her after 12:30 pm Saturday and clicked on some of her friends which would mean he read all her messages to her friend
JMO

I don't know - I'm hoping that maybe we have some expertise here on the forum that might be able to shed some light on it. The common denominator was they were all FB friends with BM, so that has to figure into it somehow, IMO.

I've no FB knowledge but I wondered if BM thought to impersonate SM. What if he logged in as SM, and was browsing the women that he was FB friends with (causing her name to later pop up) because he was thinking about sending your wife and other females a friend request under SM's profile-- trying to make it appear as if he and SM have the same female friends.

This strikes me as something BM would be worried about. Especially if there is another (hidden) woman in his BM's life.

Thanks much for your additional insight @Hoosierfan72.

Hey there - sorry for the delay on this (I had stepped away from WS to spend some time with the kids). Here's what I have (hope it's worth the wait, lol):

So, my DW has finally given me the green light to share this (I haven't up to this point because she asked me not to):

She actually went to school in Indiana with both BM and SM. She was closer to BM, but knew them both.

So here's something strange that she actually called into the tipline a few months ago: she was FB friends with BM, but not SM. A number of her classmates were also FB friends with BM and not SM. As they were discussing this after the disappearance, many of them noticed the same thing. On the weekend that SM went missing, many of them had her pop up on their FB feed as "People You May Know" or "Friend Suggestions". My DW remembered it because she almost sent SM a message to the effect of "you never age", but didn't. She said she doesn't remember SM ever popping up on her FB under either of those categories before.... but that weekend, she kept popping up time and time again (and her friends said the same thing). She couldn't remember the exact timing of the suggestions popping up, but it was definitely Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, with the information that has come out re: the suspicious social media activity after SM's interrupted conversation with her friend - I think this all fits, JMO, MOO. I did a little research on the PYMK algorithms for FB, and they seem to be a bit of a mystery - but those suggestions are definitely tied to some kind of activity.... at first I thought it might have meant SMs phone (or other electronic device that she was logged into FB) might be close-by in Indiana, but I think that's unlikely - there was probably something else going on that triggered these suggestions. Again, JMO, MOO.

Great info. So facebooks algorithms are designed to generate activity based on an event happening. So an event would have to happen in order to trigger the algorithm to make that suggestion.

One of the thing Facebook does is it connects via your iPhone contacts to match potential friends and make recommendations.

So if someone was connected with BM and not SM, but BM logged in as SM on his phone, it would read BM’s iPhone contacts and the algorithm would then recommend to those contacts to connect with SM.

I am pretty sure this is what happened.

Interesting theory. I have trouble reconciling that, though, with the interrupted conversation with her friend. That, along with the report of "suspicious activity" after that interrupted conversation points me more in the direction of activity on FB after 12:30 on Saturday. I wish the DW had a better recollection of when these suggestions started popping up - she is 100% sure it was during the weekend (Sat and Sun), but does not remember the timing.
It’s good she even remembered that at all IMo and I’m glad you checked to make sure it was ok to share with us

If BM was added as a friend, it would not give him more access to her conversations, would it? I always thought maybe he tried to get into her Facebook and phone to see who she had been talking to and what she had said. Sorry if this is dumb, I don't Facebook.

It would, because when you're not friends with someone on FB, all you can ever see on their timeline are the posts/pics they intentionally mark or leave as "public".
Everything else they do/like/comment on/post can be set so that only their friends can see those. Then when you add a new friend, voila, the profile opens right up and there's lots to see.
Private messages are still private though, of course.

Last edited:
Whoa! That’s a good thought!

A very close friend of mine was DEVASTATED when she confirmed her husband was cheating. It made me immediately think of her and the desperate state she was in to find out what was going on. She described herself as going to a low point with snooping. He was making her feel crazy and unhinged but she was right.

Great info. So facebooks algorithms are designed to generate activity based on an event happening. So an event would have to happen in order to trigger the algorithm to make that suggestion.

One of the thing Facebook does is it connects via your iPhone contacts to match potential friends and make recommendations.

So if someone was connected with BM and not SM, but BM logged in as SM on his phone, it would read BM’s iPhone contacts and the algorithm would then recommend to those contacts to connect with SM.

Holy moly, I bet you're right.

Thanks for the inside scoop! If I may be so bold as to inquire of your DW:

Was BM a good student?

Was he a heartthrob in school or a putz?

Thank you!
BM was an average student who excelled at sports.

He was a heartthrob (per the DW, just ask him, he'd tell you that) - lol

Many thanks to your DW for the impartial assessment of Barry's appeal. LOL I know what he would say! Time to cue Springsteen's Glory Days!

I'm wondering what reason BM would have needed to login to SM's social media account on his phone?
If SM was incapacitated, why not just pick up her phone and snoop around there, where she's likely already logged in?

I’m most likely way off but my very first thought reading your post, was maybe SM was going through BM Facebook friends list under her own login. Perhaps SHE was suspicious of something and someone BM was chatting with. Those profile checks, by SM, caused the suggested friends, people you may know. Perhaps this was a event that started an argument if she was doing some digging? IMO
Totally what I’m thinking

I’m most likely way off but my very first thought reading your post, was maybe SM was going through BM Facebook friends list under her own login. Perhaps SHE was suspicious of something and someone BM was chatting with. Those profile checks, by SM, caused the suggested friends, people you may know. Perhaps this was a event that started an argument if she was doing some digging? IMO
This is exactly my thought as well. she was clicking through people on HIS friend list. Maybe she was suspicious and looking. I know this happens as I have snooped through friends’ lists, then for days after, I get friend suggestions from those profiles I clicked on.

I'm wondering what reason BM would have needed to login to SM's social media account on his phone?
If SM was incapacitated, why not just pick up her phone and snoop around there, where she's likely already logged in?

he didn’t want to her phone to be tracked and he needed to act as her while he was moving.

also, Facebook will be able to track IP addresses right back to Barry’s phone being the source.

Good point. Maybe he was just more familiar with his phone. I know I can't use other phones as easily as my own.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member