Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know a lot about fb but if, say, BM was added as a friend to SM's fb, assuming he wasn't already or SM had deleted him, might his friends then get that suggestion of knowing her?

I know I get friend suggestions based on FB friends who have new accounts but my account knows the email they used for their former account, and also anyone who finds me through posts on another friend’s page, or people who I have emailed who used that email for FB.

Thanks, @Hoosierfan72 , do you remember if this FB activity was after Suzanne was declared missing? I wonder if it could have been a result of sleuthers investigating the family's FB accounts after hearing about this story through the media. I'm sure the searching activity would have bumped Suzanne up as a person who friends in common might be interested in, according to FB.
It was definitely Saturday and Sunday of that weekend, before any public news of her disappearance. My DW didn't hear about it until Tuesday am - not sure when the first report in MSM was.... but not before Monday.

Hey there - sorry for the delay on this (I had stepped away from WS to spend some time with the kids). Here's what I have (hope it's worth the wait, lol):

So, my DW has finally given me the green light to share this (I haven't up to this point because she asked me not to):

She actually went to school in Indiana with both BM and SM. She was closer to BM, but knew them both.

So here's something strange that she actually called into the tipline a few months ago: she was FB friends with BM, but not SM. A number of her classmates were also FB friends with BM and not SM. As they were discussing this after the disappearance, many of them noticed the same thing. On the weekend that SM went missing, many of them had her pop up on their FB feed as "People You May Know" or "Friend Suggestions". My DW remembered it because she almost sent SM a message to the effect of "you never age", but didn't. She said she doesn't remember SM ever popping up on her FB under either of those categories before.... but that weekend, she kept popping up time and time again (and her friends said the same thing). She couldn't remember the exact timing of the suggestions popping up, but it was definitely Mother's Day weekend. Anyway, with the information that has come out re: the suspicious social media activity after SM's interrupted conversation with her friend - I think this all fits, JMO, MOO. I did a little research on the PYMK algorithms for FB, and they seem to be a bit of a mystery - but those suggestions are definitely tied to some kind of activity.... at first I thought it might have meant SMs phone (or other electronic device that she was logged into FB) might be close-by in Indiana, but I think that's unlikely - there was probably something else going on that triggered these suggestions. Again, JMO, MOO.

Recently on FB, a certain person started popping up as a "suggested friend". Someone known to my family for years, but they'd never come up before like that so I went digging around a little bit. As it happens, this girl is my daughter's best friend, and also friends with 2 of my other kids. My daughter had posted a bunch of summer fun pics and this girl who is her best friend, commented (a lot) liked tons of these pics, because she was in most of them, or there at the time, etc.

I went looking and sure enough, several of the articles I found did indicate if someone you're not friends with, is suddenly very active on an account your are friends with, this is one of the "filters" in the alogrythm that FB uses to suggest friendship (common friends, common demographic, interests, etc.). I don't know if this is actually true (and trying to pin down technology is way above my pay grade) but in my case, that made perfect sense and I actually watched it happen.

In THIS case, it would make sense if SM's account was commenting and liking things on BM's account (since his social media seems to be the only constant in your DW's & friends case), that she normally wouldn't "like" or comment on - according to family and friends that found it out of character for her. Especially if they (SM & BM) weren't friends, on FB, or never responded on each other's accounts, or something along those lines. But I imagine her profile, being from IN originally, and the same city as on BM's now deleted FB profile, roughly the same age, etc. is the reason her profile popped up to HIS friends from their hometown.

I hope that made sense & entirely jmo
(and now someone way smarter than me will come along and tell us all that's not at all how FB works, lol. So still, jmo.)

Last edited:
I don't know - I'm hoping that maybe we have some expertise here on the forum that might be able to shed some light on it. The common denominator was they were all FB friends with BM, so that has to figure into it somehow, IMO.

I’m most likely way off but my very first thought reading your post, was maybe SM was going through BM Facebook friends list under her own login. Perhaps SHE was suspicious of something and someone BM was chatting with. Those profile checks, by SM, caused the suggested friends, people you may know. Perhaps this was a event that started an argument if she was doing some digging? IMO

I don't know - I'm hoping that maybe we have some expertise here on the forum that might be able to shed some light on it. The common denominator was they were all FB friends with BM, so that has to figure into it somehow, IMO.
Very interesting. I do agree with another poster that hundreds and within days thousands of people looked up Suzanne's profile on Facebook. And if they were like me, popped her name into the search feature to find out who was talking about her. Not only that, I searched the heck out of BM too.

So it would make sense that the algorithm would pick up on all the activity and similar to Google auto-suggest, pop her up.

Last edited:
I’m most likely way off but my very first thought reading your post, was maybe SM was going through BM Facebook friends list under her own login. Perhaps SHE was suspicious of something and someone BM was chatting with. Those profile checks, by SM, caused the suggested friends, people you may know. Perhaps this was a event that started an argument if she was doing some digging? IMO

Whoa! That’s a good thought!

Maybe someone who wasn't Suzanne was desperate to see what she was messaging about.

Of note too, I wonder if BM kept frequent tabs on Suzanne's facebook (jealous people do that), growing his number of friends while systematically limiting hers.

I'm thinking he HAD to know what she'd said online....

JMO

Recently on FB, a certain person started popping up as a "suggested friend". Someone known to my family for years, but they'd never come up before like that so I went digging around a little bit. As it happens, this girl is my daughter's best friend, and also friends with 2 of my other kids. My daughter had posted a bunch of summer fun pics and this girl who is her best friend, commented (a lot) liked tons of these pics, because she was in most of them, or there at the time, etc.

I went looking and sure enough, several of the articles I found did indicate if someone you're not friends with, is suddenly very active on an account your are friends with, this is one of the "filters" in the alogrythm that FB uses to suggest friendship (common friends, common demographic, interests, etc.). I don't know if this is actually true (and trying to pin down technology is way above my pay grade) but in my case, that made perfect sense and I actually watched it happen.

In THIS case, it would make sense if SM's account was commenting and liking things on BM's account (since his social media seems to be the only constant in your DW's & friends case), that she normally wouldn't "like" or comment on - according to family and friends that found it out of character for her. But I imagine her profile, being from IN originally, and the same city as on BM's now deleted FB profile, roughly the same age, etc. is the reason her profile popped up to HIS friends from their hometown.

I hope that made sense & entirely jmo
(and now someone way smarter than me will come along and tell us all that's not at all how FB works, lol. So still, jmo.)

Everyone is coming up with good suggestions!

maybe SM was snooping BM's page and friend's list. ???

I think you folks may be on to something.

I don't know a lot about FB but if, say, BM was added as a friend to SM's FB, assuming he wasn't already or SM had deleted him, might his friends then get that suggestion of knowing her?
If BM was added as a friend, it would not give him more access to her conversations, would it? I always thought maybe he tried to get into her Facebook and phone to see who she had been talking to and what she had said. Sorry if this is dumb, I don't Facebook.

That went over my head. Can you explain it in a different way?
I'm trying to understand it myself, lol, what I said.
Mainly that when I post with my friend John Doe, his own friends come up as suggestions. Same as in a group. I open wildflowers, and individual members pop up as suggested friends, that are also members of the group but not yet individual friends of mine.

I think that is happening in messenger too, but not sure.

So maybe they were looking up BM, so his wife gets recommended. Or someone else that they are friends with, ie in his family, looked him up.

Or putting her in the search box even once will make her come up in the future as a recommendation, maybe more frequently because she is a friend of a friend.

Last edited:
I guess nevermind!!! Hmm.
No G, what you said makes sense.

What if - he disabled her phone, then got worried that the sudden stop in communication would raise alarms. Or maybe the friend was messaging him asking if Suzanne was ok. He logged into her social media and sent those "odd communications" that suspicious.

Thanks Hoosierfan72, you may have helped to solidify it wasn't Suzanne after 12:30 PM on Saturday!!

If so, possibly she found something, an argument ensued, she said she was done and that was a trigger?
Interesting theory. I have trouble reconciling that, though, with the interrupted conversation with her friend. That, along with the report of "suspicious activity" after that interrupted conversation points me more in the direction of activity on FB after 12:30 on Saturday. I wish the DW had a better recollection of when these suggestions started popping up - she is 100% sure it was during the weekend (Sat and Sun), but does not remember the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CameraSnap