Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have questions regarding this job...

Barry leaves useless tools at the hotel. Was this part of his plan or did he screw up because he was in a hurry to get home?

The workers are told to wait around on Monday for a delivery of bricks that never arrive. Did he deliberately keep his workers away from town? Was he afraid they might disclose damaging info?

Having the 2 men approach MG and advise her about not giving CBI her phone reeks of guilt. Why would an innocent person ask an employee to withhold information from LE? Was he afraid texts would show his hasty attempt to set up an alibi? Did these 2 men or anyone representing Barry approach his other workers with similar advice?

In an earlier post, (I think it was MassGuy) said if the employees felt BM was innocent, they may have been trying in good faith to help with the optics.

IMO:
Perhaps if they felt LE was already eyeing the spouse as a usual suspect, or if the employees knew of something not directly related to SM’s disappearance, but still questionable, they might want to help protect BM if they believed him to be innocent.

Also IMO:
If they did it even for well intended reasons, it still looks bad. It was too soon for BM to plea for his wife, but not too soon to orchestrate damage control.

There have been references to small town 'secrets'.

I am still very curious why LE seemed to focus on BM so quickly. IIRC, didn't LE seal the house and deny him entry when he came back from Broomfield? The Sheriff dismissed BM's suggestions of both a mountain lion attack and an abduction almost immediately. I can understand him dismissing the mountain lion attack - but why was he so certain it wasn't an abduction?

I don't recall Heidi Broussard's partner and child being kicked out of their apartment while the investigation went on. This case is still technically a 'missing person' case, right? The Berreth apartment wasn't sealed after LE did their initial search for KB and found no incriminating evidence.

Question for those who know more about bobcats than I do: can one person switch attachments (rake for bucket)? Or would BM have needed a second person to do that - possibly late at night?

One person can definitely change attachments. Thats one of Bobcat selling points. IMO

We don't know if LE found the phone. LE could get details of what was on the phone from the carrier, with a warrant, so they can read her texts, etc. LE has all that, obviously, but we don't know whether LE got it from the actual phone or the carrier.

About the phone...We don't know where the phone is. We do know that SM abruptly ended a conversation on Saturday.

Was that the same time as the last time SM's phone pinged? Or did it ping later that evening when it appeared someone was doing something that triggered a bunch of odd FB 'friend' requests?

Tom Capano’s brother, who helped with the disposal, ratted him out. They used a styrofoam cooler and when it wouldn’t sink, they shot holes in it, which were of course extra evidence when the cooler was recovered. I seem to recall they wrapped chains around Anne Marie herself.

(Tom was also seeing another woman (Anne Marie was his secret) and this woman also came forward with incriminating testimony. Anne Rule’s book on this case is riveting.)

I hope there are some parallel players here in SM’s case.

Just to clarify, it was a plastic 162-quart Igloo ice cooler used to dump Anna at sea.

Photo from the news article.

7A7C9DC5-3921-41A4-9A6E-8A3EA698DD99.jpeg

20 years after Tom Capano arrest, juror breaks silence on Anne Marie Fahey murder

I don't think he took the Bobcat to Broomfield. I think it would have been more cost effective to rent one for just a 4 day job. Towing it through the mountains would have slowed him down. He drives a F-250, those pickups are not good on fuel. He went strait to the LE "bike discovery" site no mention or photos of a pickup towing a bobcat. There is also no mention of him dropping the trailer at the Puma Path house. MOO. Also if the wall was just a distraction job for an alibi, would he have even thought about getting the bobcat? ALL MOO
One reason I say this is, when we owned our plumbing co. If the job wasn't a big job we just rented machinery. Especially if the machinery was going to be towed for more than 2 hrs and through high traffic volume.
Thank you!
So, BM did something mechanical to the bobcat. He did not answer honestly about the timing. So I'm guessing the bobcat was used for the burial. If the noise heard at the Salida work site was the bobcat; If he was charging it, changing to attachments, at 1130 ish Saturday night, I think she was buried after that.

I've always thought that was done in the dead of night. He would feel safer then.

So I wonder, did he then park it at the home? Not take it back to the Salida job site? Was he done with that job? Or would he have needed it again at the job site? If so, he'd better have a really good excuse for taking it away at 1130ish Saturday night. Especially if he didn't haul it to Broomfield.
Moo

Interesting that you picked up on that phrase he used.
If a body is found wouldn't the ME be able to detect that she didn't drown on her own?
Unless decomp was too far gone.
Could he have taken an unconscious body there and drowned her? And left her?
But she must have trauma injuries, if chlorine was used. ??
I do like your thinking about his comment.

Honestly, at this point, I think it would be very hard to determine whether drowning had occurred.

I do consider drowning a possibility - including drowning at home.

While we'd all think chlorine/bleach would only be used if there was blood evidence, it's possible that a guilty party would use it any way, in the hopes of destroying DNA evidence. This might include cleaning the body as well as the perp's own person. I think of Lady Macbeth.

If BM drowned/strangled SM at home during a battle over a long-held marital problem, it would not be the first time he threatened her physically IMO, and each time they fought in the past, he finally calmed down, apologized, swore to God that it wouldn't happen again and they likely prayed together. That's the cycle I envision, as it's common. Drowning makes sense because of BM's own statement and pre-splaining.

BM, if he did do this terrible thing, would have been panicked and remorseful afterward (but also stubbornly pro-Barry). He might have felt relief that the anchor that weighed him down (Suzanne) and kept him from living the life of a hunky, single, middle-aged man...was gone. But then, he'd feel terrible guilt. And terror at being caught and outed as a vile, deranged murderer. He'd be careful to clean under her fingernails, perhaps her whole body, and he would certainly clean his own body - because he feared being literally taken to the police staton at any moment in those first few days.

As the days went on, and he saw that he'd managed to hide SM carefully enough, he became the more confident and relaxed BM we hear on LS's interviews. By now, he must be really relieved that even if Suzanne is found, so much evidence has been lost.

Makes me think of Barbara Thomas and what might have happened to her.

Curious if the order of bricks were EVER delivered to Broomfield site?
If BM told the crew there waiting to figure it out, how come no one there checked on the brick order and/or figured out how to get the job done. Was it only because they had no tools?
MOO I would be curious to know this myself. Like when the bricks were ordered, if they were actually ordered. Also if they were ordered was the delivery canceled? I will also add, who ordered them and who would have canceled them. IMO That would tell when and if the job was planned in advance,and if the job was canceled before or after workers left the site.

I am wondering why MG had to stop working when BM said he needed to go home to make his wife happy.
Why couldn't she keep working ?
Did he leave the worksite at 11:00 am too?
Were he and MG the only ones at the worksite?
Was he in a stew over whatever "it" is?
Had he formulated a solution and needed to hurry up to put it in motion?
Or did he return home in a stew and things turned ugly?
MOO
Edited to make it easier to read :)

I am still very curious why LE seemed to focus on BM so quickly. IIRC, didn't LE seal the house and deny him entry when he came back from Broomfield? The Sheriff dismissed BM's suggestions of both a mountain lion attack and an abduction almost immediately. I can understand him dismissing the mountain lion attack - but why was he so certain it wasn't an abduction?

I don't recall Heidi Broussard's partner and child being kicked out of their apartment while the investigation went on. This case is still technically a 'missing person' case, right? The Berreth apartment wasn't sealed after LE did their initial search for KB and found no incriminating evidence.

Question for those who know more about bobcats than I do: can one person switch attachments (rake for bucket)? Or would BM have needed a second person to do that - possibly late at night?
Good questions.^^^

I'm thinking something BM said piqued LE's interest very early on !

Or-- was there some history that LE knew from before that made them think this was no abduction ?
From the beginning I didn't think the bike ride story being touted by BM was entirely truthful-- but I considered an abduction-- just not a random stranger.
Rather a person hired by BM ?
Imo.

Thank you!
So, BM did something mechanical to the bobcat. He did not answer honestly about the timing. So I'm guessing the bobcat was used for the burial. If the noise heard at the Salida work site was the bobcat; If he was charging it, changing to attachments, at 1130 ish Saturday night, I think she was buried after that.

I've always thought that was done in the dead of night. He would feel safer then.

So I wonder, did he then park it at the home? Not take it back to the Salida job site? Was he done with that job? Or would he have needed it again at the job site? If so, he'd better have a really good excuse for taking it away at 1130ish Saturday night. Especially if he didn't haul it to Broomfield.
Moo

You make some really interesting points. If BM did go to the job site to retrieve the Bobcat, that would explain why after he used it, he just parked it at home. Perhaps the "Bobcat thing" that he needs to explain to police is why the Bobcat was at the site on Saturday, and then at the home on Sunday. Plus, there's the noise the neighbor heard, which is good evidence that the Bobcat was moved late Saturday night. Why? Very suspicious. Especially as BM did not need it or take it to the job in Broomfield.

So he tells the police the Bobcat needed a repair. At midnight on Saturday. When he didn't plan to take it to Broomfield (and was getting up at 4 am or so to leave at 5 am).

So why did BM move the Bobcat? The repair story is bogus, IMO.

I do hope the area around the job site is re-searched with HRD's, although, again - there's water there. I hope they search a good stretch of that river with the dogs.

Perhaps BM was cleaning the Bobcat attachment at home, with bleach. Then himself at the HIE.

He could have been home by 11:30 and then taken a shower etc. and she could have been sitting around waiting for him to get dressed to hike etc. They could have left at 12 or a little after, she could have been texting her friend on the ride to the hike site. The abrupt end to the texting could have been because he killed her suddenly. I believe LE has never found her phone. I do not remember AM's comments about the smell of bleach smell in the house so I cannot comment it. Can you point me toward the MSM or his comments on that bleach smell?

One other thought to have in this conversation about the overwhelming smell of chlorine or bleach is that Chlorox or bleach is exactly that-It takes the color out of whatever materials it touches and nowhere so far has that been mentioned, only the smell. If the solution is strong enough or if it is used full strength then there is color loss and splotches and fading everywhere. How can that be, that only smell is mentioned, if it was supposedly wiped over everything to get rid of blood etc.?

“From what I understood secondhand, they said there was an overwhelming smell of bleach in the home,' Moorman told Fox 21.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hew-denies-wrongdoing-inside-cheap-hotel.html

You raise a good point about splotches and fading from cleaning with bleach. In the Kelsey Berreth case, Cheryl Berreth raised alarms when she noticed “film from cleaning supplies was in several places in the apartment, including the TV, loveseat and stove, among other locations.”
Patrick Frazee murder trial: Family, police describe suspicions after Kelsey Berreth’s disappearance

MOO I would be curious to know this myself. Like when the bricks were ordered, if they were actually ordered. Also if they were ordered was the delivery canceled? I will also add, who ordered them and who would have canceled them. IMO That would tell when and if the job was planned in advance,and if the job was canceled before or after workers left the site.
yes, the brick story may explain the whole thing if Broomfield is simply an alibi.
I suspect all 3 worker bees feel used and abused as mere pawns by their boss.
The smartest one, who hasn't spoken publicly
probably realizes the jeopardy he's in if he comes forward.
I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now.

MOD NOTE:

This is a really good random spot to refresh with @sillybilly's post from last night:

Thread is open again. It’s up to members how long it will stay open.

No more:

trashing people and casting aspersions at individuals who are not named as POIs

stating things as fact without links to support

discussing or even mentioning social media rumors

alluding to an affair by BM or any other individual.
This has been said before:
There is NOTHING in MSM to substantiate that BM was having an affair with anyone, let alone MG

insinuating that TN is one of the 2 individuals who approached MG when there is no information as to who it was.

Maybe this is why the Broomfield trip timing was changed several times. Broomfield was always going to be the alibi but BM needed the perfect weekend (kids away etc...).

That was my initial impression,too. Thanks for laying that out for us. And that is a lot of premeditation.

I think his murder plans at first were a 'just in case' plan. I think he was trying to get Suzanne to go along with whatever it was that he wanted. But just in case he was unsuccessful, he had a plan. I think he put it off as long as he possibly could, he didn't really want to have to murder her. But in the end, he had to, to get what he wanted.

I've wondered if she was going to head for Indiana after her last doctor appointment on Monday. If so, her friend would know that, I think.
Moo

Barry knows he was caught in a lie about the bobcat mechanical thing. If he was switching blades at 11:30 Saturday night in prep for the Sunday job, it would not be something to lie about. But if he switched blades, never said a word about it, and then didn’t bring the needed bobcat with him to Broomfield, what’s up with that? Was he renting one up there? Did he make arrangements to rent one? Was this something his employees were going to have to do on their own? Did Barry have an account with a rental company so he could be invoiced after? Did his employees have a company credit card to pay for stuff? Does the brick supplier have a record of Barry’s order?

Was Heidi’s apartment left alone by LE because they already had the security camera video showing she had been abducted in the parking lot?

Curious if the order of bricks were EVER delivered to Broomfield site?
If BM told the crew there waiting to figure it out, how come no one there checked on the brick order and/or figured out how to get the job done. Was it only because they had no tools?
MG said in the interview that the bricks never came and that they didn't have the tools necessary.
So, does that mean that BM took the time to call to cancel the brick delivery but never bothered to tell his workers who were in a hotel in Broomfield for two days waiting?
Or, would it be more logical to assume that he hadn't ordered them in the first place - if there was ever a job to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member