Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM:

I don't think anyone here is being the least bit cavalier about their suspicions regarding BM.

In fact, I think it's quite the opposite:
Everyone here is taking their suspicions regarding BM's involvement very seriously, and is examining the reasons for those suspicions quite carefully.

There are a plethora of facts that point toward BM's likely involvement in SM's disappearance.
@gitana1 cited many of them in a post several threads back.
And what we know is merely the tip of the iceberg.

LE is clearly signaling that BM is their (unnamed) suspect in the case.
Multiple search warrants executed at the house, another search involving digging up concrete on a property BM worked on, dismissal of his preposterous mountain lion theory, no BOLO alerts, LE telling AM that BM hadn't been cooperating with them, etc., all indicate where and at whom LE is looking.

BM has offered numerous inconsistent statements about the events surrounding SM's disappearance, including his own actions and movements that weekend. These statements don't just conflict with accounts given by his employees.
He also contradicts himself.
He's having a hard time keeping track of his stories.

It would take pages upon pages to outline all of the reasons that so many of us here are highly suspicious of BM not just being a terrible husband to SM, but of being responsible for her disappearance.

In fact, it's taken us 37 threads to reach this point in our ruminations.

There's nothing cavalier about 37 threads.

JMO.
Ita.
Saving this.

Last edited:
I do not. Some of his buddies might be, but him, I doubt it. He’s got this all worked out in his head. Everybody’s after Barry. I think he gets his info from Lauren’s calls and messages, and reacts without giving it a second thought.
I think he is definitely following the case on SM. There has hardly been anything reported in the news. He would want to know every detail about what people are saying. Why else would he say that people don't know the truth?

Updated timeline for the days surrounding SM’s disappearance. We are limiting the dates to those put forth by LE when they requested that area residents save their video footage: May 8-12, 2020.

Friday 5/8/20

Evening, exact time unknown:
-BM works at “beach area” at Salida dig site (MG)

Saturday 5/9/20

A.M.:
-BM & MG at Salida dig site. MG states BM was acting unusual. MG is supposed to rake out beach area that BM had worked on the night before. (MG). BM picked up MG (unverified) to bring her there.

11:00 a.m.:
-BM tells MG to go home. He tells her he has to go home to make wife “happy” and take her hiking or biking. (Did BM drop off MG?)

12:30 p.m. : (conflicting information, time not verified, could be later in the day, or even earlier)
-SM is talking with BFF on a message app or FB when suddenly she stops replying.

Afternoon, exact time unknown:
-BM makes contact with JP and hires him for a Broomfield job on Sunday. According to JP, this was an in person meeting in Salida.
-MG states that BM was seen shopping around town. (Unverified)

-SM’s bff receives texts that seem “unusual” from SM
-Friends of BM receive FB friend requests from SM

11:30 p.m.:
-A neighbor of a home being built in Salida hears heavy machinery running for about a half hour. BM has been hired to do prep work for a foundation pour at this site. This is the same site where he is also prepping the “beach area”. This is the job site that was later searched by FBI teams.

Sunday 5/10/20

5:00 a.m.:
-BM allegedly leaves SM sleeping and heads to a job in Broomfield, CO approximately 3 hours from his home in Maysville. The job allegedly consists of a repair to a wall that BM had completed the previous September and that had structural problems.

A.M. Exact time unknown:
-BM checks into the HIE in Broomfield.
-According to MG, BM contacts her and asks her to get a crew together to head to Broomfield for the job. MG stated that BM sounded like he had the worst night of his life. ?

Approximately Noontime:
-BM calls JP to confirm Broomfield job.

5:46 p.m.:
-SM is reported missing by a neighbor. SM’s daughters allegedly contacted her and said they were worried because they hadn’t been able to reach their mother. Exact details are unclear, but neighbor checked the house and did not find SM but noted her car was there. According to BM in his TD interview, the neighbor then contacted him and he asked her to go back and check if her bike was there. The neighbor checked, returned home, and called BM on her landline and told him the bike was gone. BM asked her to call LE.

Approximately 6:00 p.m.:
-LE arrives at the Morphew home where they are met by the neighbor who reportedly told them that SM had not returned from a bike ride.
-LE begins a search. Dog teams from the prison and County SAR teams are called in. (CCSO)
-BM started home to Maysville. (TD)

After 6:00 exact time unknown:
-JP, MG, and a third worker arrived at the HIE in Broomfield. It is not clear if all 3 travelled together. JP and MG both report that there was an intense smell of chlorine in the room and several wet towels on the floor. JP stated that it looked like someone had laid down on the bed, on top of the bedspread. MG stated that the bed looked like it had been slept in and remade.
-BM let workers know that he had left for a family emergency and that they were on their own. Workers allegedly found some of BM’s tools in a “hotel cart”. MG stated they looked like a bunch of tools from the back of BM’s truck. Both JP and MG indicated they had neither the correct tools nor the materials to do the job.

Sometime before 9:00 p.m. :
-LE allegedly finds SM’s bike down a hill about a quarter of a mile from her home. (Never verified by LE). There is no sign of SM. The Morphew home is allegedly sealed off.
-Friend(s) of BM arrive at search area (unverified)

Approximately 9:00 p.m.:
-BM arrives home.
-Friend(s) tell BM that SM’s bike was found and that LE mishandled the scene/evidence. (BM to TD)

(At some point, either Sunday night or Monday, volunteer firefighters were told not to participate in the official searches. BM told TD in a later video that his friend tried to stop LE from mishandling the evidence, which may have been the reason that they were not allowed to participate further.)

Monday 5/11/20

Time unknown:
-Concrete foundation is poured at the Salida dig site.

A.M.:
-Search resumes after overnight break. Over 100 LE are eventually involved including LE on foot, drones, divers, aircraft, SAR, Swift Water Rescue units, and various canines.
-BM calls MG crying and tells her SM is missing and that either a mountain lion got her or she was abducted. He stated they were going up the mountain to search. He tells MG and JP to stay in Broomfield and wait for supplies to be delivered for the job.

PM.:
-AM arrives in town to help look for his sister, meets with BM and some friends, and they formulate a plan to search for SM the following day.

Tuesday 5/12/2020

A.M.:
-LE continue their search. No request for volunteers was made.
-BM, AM, and friends divide into teams to search. They were not allowed to search where LE was actively searching, but could cover area already searched. AM and BM we’re on separate teams. At one point, a member of AM’s team separated from the group. They backtracked to try to find him. He was later located back at the home where BM was staying. (On the following Thursday, 5/14/2020, a personal article belong to SM, was found about 20 yards from the trail where AM’s team was searching. Were they meant to find it? Was it placed there by the disappearing team member?)

Exact time unknown:
-MG, JP, and possibly one other person arrived back in Salida after no supplies were delivered to complete the job in Broomfield.
-MG was allegedly approached by two individuals connected to BM, (TN and GD), who told her she would not be paid for her time in Broomfield because it would look like hush, hush, money. MG also implied that she was asked not to cooperate with LE or turn over her phone.

8:00 p.m.:
-BM was observed by an employee of the Poncha Market digging in a trash can. (The market had closed at 7:00 p.m.) Upon being questioned, BM states he is looking for a bike helmet.

Shortly thereafter, BM taps on market window and when they let him in he stated that his wife was missing. When asked for a description he wrote a note on a crumbled receipt. The note said:

Baby Blue bike

helmet

Biking clothes

(No further description)

By Tuesday or Wednesday, CCSO has asked CBI and FBI for assistance.

Updated timeline was constructed based on LE info, MSM reports, and suggestions from fellow WS’ers. All additional comments/corrections are welcome. We may have additional information to plug in after the search this week.
Thanks @OldCop I’ve added this to her media timeline thread
Well done !
ETA punctuation

Last edited:
Saturday morning, 5/9/20. MG was with BM at the Salida dig site. She was under the impression that she would be working at all day. (SG)
11:00 a.m. BM suddenly tells MG she has to go home; that he has to go home and make his wife “happy” and take her hiking or biking.
This is a telling statement. SM is not happy. Why?
Did they have a fight earlier that morning, possibly about him going to Broomfield on MD?
Did she call him at the job site to tell him she was unhappy?
Was the unhappiness just about Mother’s Day or was it something that had been building up?
Did he go home angry and they continued to fight and BM harmed her?
Did he go home and take her “hiking or biking” and never brought her home?
Had they fought that morning or the night before and BM harmed her then? He went to the job site so MG wouldn’t be suspicious and outward appearances would appear normal. He began building an alibi.
MG stated that BM was acting strangely that day.
Lots of questions here. If answered in a certain way, those answers could point to premeditation.
MOO

After the cooler was emptied, it was broken into pieces, and placed into bins: not near BM's home.
What about the market bins, and that area, where BM was reported to be searching for the blue helmet?
All speculation, but explains missing cooler/coolers.

Hadn't thought of him disposing them in the bins, I had considered that could be why the hotel room smelt of bleach and had wet towels, thought he may have cleaned it there, as other posters have said it wouldn't necessarily be unusual to use them to carry/store drinks - I think he could have thought he could explain that away if seen on CCTV at the hotel with a cooler ?
But like MassGuy pointed out - this would be a messy process and would take a lot of time, and now I am wondering would BM be able to organize a clean-up/disposal of body and evidence in a fairly short time and on his own? Unless it was pre-planned - but I don't see that somehow, but he could have had help?

ebm

Last edited:
***Below is @gitana1 's prior post from back on Thread #18 ***

Quoting gitana's list:

"However, I look at everything combined to see if a picture forms. On their own, no one thing says much. But put together it starts to make me lean. So the combined factors for me are:

1. Statistics- women are most likely to be murdered by a intimate partner.
2. Demographics - Suzanne is not in a high risk category for murder/abduction by a stranger. (Age, race, income, profession, location).
3. The only evidence we know of that Suzanne went on a bike ride on Mother’s Day is the statement by Barry that the neighbor went to check and saw that Suzanne’s car was there but her bike was not.
4. Extensive searches were conducted that found Suzanne’s bike relatively close to home, and a “personal item” that LE won’t disclose to the public or the family (per Barry’s words in the hidden video). But no evidence or trace of Suzanne being there was found, from what we can tell, except those two things.
5. Three days after she disappeared, local LE got the CBI and FBI to be involved in the case.
6. Barry floated multiple scenarios including abduction, wandering off and falling in a stream (or something to that effect), and a lion attack, suggesting one was seen in the area. He seemed stoic and calm when discussing these possibilities.
7. LE started early on that a mountain lion attack was unlikely.
8. Nine days after she went missing, Suzanne’s home with Barry was held, and searched via a sealed search warrant.
9. Three days after that, a work site of a Barry’s was excavated after ground penetrating radar was utilized.
10. LE stated Barry was cooperating and they hoped he would continue to do so.
11. LE has not released any statements or flyers that would indicate they believe SM was riding her bike that day and are this searching for information from people who may have seen her or her bike or anyone near her on the day in question.
12. However, LE has requested ring camera footage from neighbors for the day she was reported missing AND the days leading up to that date AND FOR TWO DAYS AFTER.
13. Barry didn’t make the 911 call. He asked the neighbor to.
14. There were two, varying accounts of where Barry was that day, reported to the media.
15. LE has not made any statements to anyone who possibly has her, to release her.
16. Other than one 26 second statement, neither Barry nor the family have begged a possible abductor/killer to release her or confess or come forward AND no one has come forward from the family to talk about suzanne.
17. “Oh Suzanne...”.
18. Neither Barry nor the family are in the public eye begging for help from the public. They’re very quiet.
19. LE have not publicly cleared Barry.
20. A Barry sought and obtained a temporary guardianship over Suzanne in their former state of residence and an order selling a property of theirs, without her signature, filing the request 20 days after she disappeared, at a time when he would presumably be despondent and scared of what happened to his missing wife. But he had the wherewithal to speak with and participate in the action in another state, communicating with counsel and signing documents, for likely at least a week or so prior to the June 1st filing date. So we know money was inexplicably important at that time, to him.
21. In six weeks LE has failed to come up with a vehicle description or other description of someone or some vehicle in the area that was seen, that they want to follow up on.
22. Barry failed to issue any public statement until a week after Suzanne disappeared, stating, reportedly, that it was “too soon”.
23. According to the reporter who got his conversation on hidden camera, Barry threatened him if he later found out the guy was a reporter.
24. Barry offered a reward for her safe return, not just for information or to find her.

~ @gitana1

Adding a few more of mine to gitana's list of red flags:

25. LE obtained two separate search warrants to conduct not just one, but a second, search at the home. Obtaining the second search warrant would have almost certainly required compelling evidence in order to convince a judge to sign off on it.
26. "Let me show you what happened."
27. "The wheel was facing…"
28. "The best thing you can do…find something…if you find anything, don't touch it. Take a picture of it."
It never even occurred to BM to express to TD to be on the lookout for SM, who is, ostensibly, the entire focus of the search efforts. He provides TD with no physical description of SM, no clothing description, no offer to show TD a picture of SM, no mention of what TD should do if he discovered SM and she was unconscious or injured, e.g., don't move her, call 911 immediately," etc.
29. BM asks TD to put his electronic device away when he spies it because, y'know, "we've had a lot of media bother us." BM wanted nothing to do with MSM for months, the fact that media exposure is viewed as an absolute Godsend to most families trying desperately to generate tips and leads from the public re: missing loved ones, notwithstanding.

If/as others want to add to this list, please feel free to reply to this post and add yours on to the end.

I know there's been plenty more that's come to light since way back on Thread #18, which was well before BM's employees or BM ever spoke to LS.

JMO.

Last edited:
BBM.
This is the part that intrigues me.
Why the swift response from LE?
What did they suspect and why?
Was there a history of calls to them in the past?
MOO.
bbm
Ita, I've wondered if there's something else that made LE go on high alert ?
Had the daughters ever spoken to their friends about any issues ?
I remember waaaay back in HS, some kids would pour out their hearts about their home life , in between classes.
A lot of hurting souls in this world. :(

I think BM's greatest fear is having his persona as some big, successful, important, powerful man being completely stripped away, and of being exposed to the whole world as a total fraud.

His greatest fear is being exposed as being a failure as a human being, and the resulting collapse of all of the status and stature he believes he's achieved in life.

Hubris and Greed.

JMO.
Which could lead him to taking an easier way out
IMO

bbm
Ita, I've wondered if there's something else that made LE go on high alert ?
Had the daughters ever spoken to their friends about any issues ?
I remember waaaay back in HS, some kids would pour out their hearts about their home life , in between classes.
A lot of hurting souls in this world. :(
yes and I've wondered if the older neighbor who called 911 wasn't privy to some unrest in the M household. If she regularly saw SM out cycling, maybe she was a chatting buddy for SM.
She was certainly friendly enough to be the one called to go check the house for her.

BBM.
This is the part that intrigues me.
Why the swift response from LE?
What did they suspect and why?
Was there a history of calls to them in the past?
MOO.
We have hashed this around and the truth is we really don’t know. The general consensus is that they found/learned something very early on that immediately made them suspect that SM never went on a bike ride that day. It may have been a statement someone said, it may have been the condition of the bike, or it may have been something they found in the Morphew home after they received the call for a missing persons report. (LE likely did a walk through to ensure that SM was not ill or injured inside the home.) BM was probably so certain that LE would buy the bike ride story that he never dreamed they would be in the home that night.

"This is Gold, Jerry!"

6579.gif

5915.gif

Thank you so much for going to the time and effort to compile this timeline!

It's phenomenal. It's also going to prove highly useful.

I'm printing out a copy for easy reference.
Thank you, @GordianKnot.
ETA proper English.

Last edited:
Updated timeline for the days surrounding SM’s disappearance. We are limiting the dates to those put forth by LE when they requested that area residents save their video footage: May 8-12, 2020.

Friday 5/8/20

Saturday 5/9/20

-A neighbor of a home being built in Salida hears heavy machinery running for about a half hour. BM has been hired to do prep work for a foundation pour at this site. This is the same site where he is also prepping the “beach area”. This is the job site that was later searched by FBI teams.
This is a terrific timeline OldCop - many thanks! Did we ever find out for 100% certainty that the neighbor at the Salida job site heard the noise on Friday or Saturday night? Didn't she say that she spoke to someone the next day about leaving the keys in the equipment? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
No contact information for Andy included?

This is likely a headache for local LE. This is especially true if LE was focused on a particular suspect. Do they now process everything from this search?

Plus, the locality involved here is also having budget issues, so any extra staff time is hard to pay for.

What if he chartered a private jet to a place like Equador and then took another flight to a non extradition country? Would that work?

Unlike Fotis Dulos who came across quite cosmopolitan, BM does not strike me at all as the kind of person that would be happy flying under the radar in a foreign country or have the skills to arrange a successful life anywhere other than the US. He likes being the big man on campus, living large, and I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that he doesn't speak any foreign languages.

Plus, I still don't really believe that he understands how much trouble he really is in. I think he still thinks he can get out of it or that LE will never be able to pin him down. Arrogance is always the downfall of murderers who get caught.

@OldCop , I can't thank you enough for accurately summarizing this information.:)

We are 37 threads deep and it's hard to keep up on a consistant basis. Lots of information has gone round and round before it has been agreed on as fact. Makes it very hard for the casual follower to keep up.

Again, thank you!

ETA - For what it's worth, here is a DM picture of BM in the early days after SM's disappearance. In the background, there is a baby blue bike on a vehicle bike rack. No idea who's vehicle this is or who rides that bike.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
You’re welcome, @Puzzles8.
There’s been several discussions about that photo. To my knowledge, we have not heard who that bike belongs to. It is very unlikely that LE would have returned SM’s bike to the family at this time.

Friday 5/8/20

Saturday 5/9/20

A.M.:
-BM & MG at Salida dig site. MG states BM was acting unusual. MG is supposed to rake out beach area that BM had worked on the night before. (MG). BM picked up MG (unverified) to bring her there.

11:00 a.m.:
-BM tells MG to go home. He tells her he has to go home to make wife “happy” and take her hiking or biking. (Did BM drop off MG?)

12:30 p.m. : (conflicting information, time not verified, could be later in the day, or even earlier)
-SM is talking with BFF on a message app or FB when suddenly she stops replying.

Afternoon, exact time unknown:
-BM makes contact with JP and hires him for a Broomfield job on Sunday. According to JP, this was an in person meeting in Salida.
-MG states that BM was seen shopping around town. (Unverified)

-SM’s bff receives texts that seem “unusual” from SM
-Friends of BM receive FB friend requests from SM

Sunday 5/10/20

5:00 a.m.:
-BM allegedly leaves SM sleeping and heads to a job in Broomfield, CO approximately 3 hours from his home in Maysville. The job allegedly consists of a repair to a wall that BM had completed the previous September and that had structural problems.

A.M. Exact time unknown:
-BM checks into the HIE in Broomfield.
-According to MG, BM contacts her and asks her to get a crew together to head to Broomfield for the job. MG stated that BM sounded like he had the worst night of his life. ?

Approximately Noontime:
-BM calls JP to confirm Broomfield job.

5:46 p.m.:
-SM is reported missing by a neighbor. SM’s daughters allegedly contacted her and said they were worried because they hadn’t been able to reach their mother. Exact details are unclear, but neighbor checked the house and did not find SM but noted her car was there. According to BM in his TD interview, the neighbor then contacted him and he asked her to go back and check if her bike was there. The neighbor checked, returned home, and called BM on her landline and told him the bike was gone. BM asked her to call LE.

Approximately 6:00 p.m.:
-LE arrives at the Morphew home where they are met by the neighbor who reportedly told them that SM had not returned from a bike ride.
-LE begins a search. Dog teams from the prison and County SAR teams are called in. (CCSO)
-BM started home to Maysville. (TD)

After 6:00 exact time unknown:
-JP, MG, and a third worker arrived at the HIE in Broomfield. It is not clear if all 3 travelled together. JP and MG both report that there was an intense smell of chlorine in the room and several wet towels on the floor. JP stated that it looked like someone had laid down on the bed, on top of the bedspread. MG stated that the bed looked like it had been slept in and remade.
-BM let workers know that he had left for a family emergency and that they were on their own. Workers allegedly found some of BM’s tools in a “hotel cart”. MG stated they looked like a bunch of tools from the back of BM’s truck. Both JP and MG indicated they had neither the correct tools nor the materials to do the job.

Sometime before 9:00 p.m. :
-LE allegedly finds SM’s bike down a hill about a quarter of a mile from her home. (Never verified by LE). There is no sign of SM. The Morphew home is allegedly sealed off.
-Friend(s) of BM arrive at search area (unverified)

Approximately 9:00 p.m.:
-BM arrives home.
-Friend(s) tell BM that SM’s bike was found and that LE mishandled the scene/evidence. (BM to TD)

(At some point, either Sunday night or Monday, volunteer firefighters were told not to participate in the official searches. BM told TD in a later video that his friend tried to stop LE from mishandling the evidence, which may have been the reason that they were not allowed to participate further.)

Monday 5/11/20

Time unknown:
-Concrete foundation is poured at the Salida dig site.

A.M.:
-Search resumes after overnight break. Over 100 LE are eventually involved including LE on foot, drones, divers, aircraft, SAR, Swift Water Rescue units, and various canines.
-BM calls MG crying and tells her SM is missing and that either a mountain lion got her or she was abducted. He stated they were going up the mountain to search. He tells MG and JP to stay in Broomfield and wait for supplies to be delivered for the job.

PM.:
-AM arrives in town to help look for his sister, meets with BM and some friends, and they formulate a plan to search for SM the following day.

Tuesday 5/12/2020

A.M.:
-LE continue their search. No request for volunteers was made.
-BM, AM, and friends divide into teams to search. They were not allowed to search where LE was actively searching, but could cover area already searched. AM and BM we’re on separate teams. At one point, a member of AM’s team separated from the group. They backtracked to try to find him. He was later located back at the home where BM was staying. (On the following Thursday, 5/14/2020, a personal article belong to SM, was found about 20 yards from the trail where AM’s team was searching. Were they meant to find it? Was it placed there by the disappearing team member?)

Exact time unknown:
-MG, JP, and possibly one other person arrived back in Salida after no supplies were delivered to complete the job in Broomfield.
-MG was allegedly approached by two individuals connected to BM, (TN and GD), who told her she would not be paid for her time in Broomfield because it would look like hush, hush, money. MG also implied that she was asked not to cooperate with LE or turn over her phone.

8:00 p.m.:
-BM was observed by an employee of the Poncha Market digging in a trash can. (The market had closed at 7:00 p.m.) Upon being questioned, BM states he is looking for a bike helmet.

Shortly thereafter, BM taps on market window and when they let him in he stated that his wife was missing. When asked for a description he wrote a note on a crumbled receipt. The note said:

Baby Blue bike

helmet

Biking clothes

(No further description)

By Tuesday or Wednesday, CCSO has asked CBI and FBI for assistance.

Updated timeline was constructed based on LE info, MSM reports, and suggestions from fellow WS’ers. All additional comments/corrections are welcome. We may have additional information to plug in after the search this week.

This is a wonderful timeline. It’s got most of the evidence. Could I utilize some of it in my list of facts we know?

This is likely a headache for local LE. This is especially true if LE was focused on a particular suspect. Do they now process everything from this search?

Plus, the locality involved here is also having budget issues, so any extra staff time is hard to pay for.
I can imagine they are receiving a large volume of calls, which is why they should include Andy's contact info. Is there a legal reason not to include it maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member