Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think it’s odd that it’s taken 11 days to search the house. I’ve had a long day and have a headache but in other cases, I think I remember the home searched much earlier? Anyone know how long it took for LE to search the homes of Laci Peterson, Kelsey Berreth, and Jennifer Dulos, etc?

To me it seems like they had no reason to search the home until recently, because of new information. But what’s confusing me is Barry’s car and phone were taken right away? Why not search the house right away?

All of it is SO WEIRD. Well, maybe it will make sense soon.

BLM is staying at the property of a friend which is nearby to BLM's own home. He and his friend were "seen leaving the property" as the CSI team arrived. I think the (unclear) meaning could be that BLM and his friend were seen leaving the friend's property as the CSI team arrived at BLM's home.

Where is that quote from? Because I read something else on MSM.

JMO
I agree with another previous post that LE had to provide a probable cause to believe a search is justified in order for them to get approval on the search warrant.

I wonder though could the probable cause have simply been the fact that SM is still missing and they need to be certain she is not in her own home.

No. Probable cause must relate to an alleged crime or criminal activity. It is not a crime to go missing.

There also exists the possibility that he was required to complete some sort of training that falls within an expiration date. I know with COVID many other things have been lax but perhaps some necessary training in a timely manner might also be mandatory. He may also have been going for additional training and or certification given our pandemic circumstances. Perhaps he sought additional training and certification to serve us during these times. IMO
I have a continuing education requirement for a license I maintain, with a June expiration. All license expirations are extended right now, but I did my 24 hours of CE credits anyway. Not much else to do during this pandemic. Businesses are closed or slow. Perfect time to get stuff done.

We don't know that order of events. The CSI wasn't reported to be there until...when? Certainly not the first night or the second day or the third. It was more like the 7th day, so I think it was recent (they were waiting for a warrant).

Where did you hear that the house was cordoned off before the CSI people arrived with their warrant? There were locals who said they didn't see cordoning, IIRC (here on WS).

I am assuming that when they came with a proper warrant (and he did not know when they would arrive, obviously) he then vacated the premises as requested.

I personally don't think they can "cordon off a house" without legal action, like a warrant. So he had a right to be there and was there, at his own home.

I'm pretty sure that the husband has not been staying at the marital residence since he returned from Denver-- whether he owns the house or not. I believe nephew told reporter very early that the husband was staying near his property -- not at his property. MOO

The caption says "Suzanne’s husband Barry Morphew, 52, has said he was away on a training course for his job as a volunteer firefighter in Denver, Colorado, when she vanished. The 52-year-old is currently staying at a property close to the marital home and has been joined by friends who have flown in from his native Indiana. Morphew was pictured leaving the property along with Davis shortly before the CSI investigators arrived to search his home on Tuesday."
So I guess it's the house's driveway or the street/road in front.
@carbuff :) Thx for your response. Makes sense.
When reading article, somehow I failed to connect that info w the pix. {:confused:Brain freeze?o_O}

Do you know if these cameras actually record ? They don't in my area.

ETA: The CDOT website says their cameras do NOT record. This is a big disappointment

CDOT Offers Travelers New Tool to Avoid Delays by Searching for Road Work on their Routes
"...Other features on COtrip include a real-time CDOT snowplow tracker, current conditions, speeds and estimated delays on CDOT-maintained roads, and a comprehensive map pinpointing construction, with access to CDOT's cameras. (Note: CDOT's cameras do not record.)"

Wow, great catch! I did not see that part. That is SO disappointing!!

bbm
Thanks, this is new.

I'd assumed he was able to enter his home when he wanted to but was staying at the friend's for some reason.
Moral support ?
But to do a 180 degree , one would think if she'd been kidnapped that the husband would want to stay in the home in case she returned ?

But now we know he was barred from the house.
I think LE have investigated all avenues and are light years ahead of us.
I think most of what LE don't have, is Suzanne herself.
Imo.

Nobody is allowed to enter a house that is roped off as part of an official LE investigation.

Could BM have been away for training to become a paramedic.. a volunteer paramedic? To go along w/being a volunteer fireman.
Someone upthread mentioned his T-shirt had a paramedic and something else ? kind of logo on it.

All training for EMT's in most states is done by public colleges/community colleges. I think it's the same in Colorado.

It would be called "attending a class," IMO and not "training." Training awards no units; to be an EMT in Colorado you need something like this:

Emergency Medical Technician Curriculum - Colorado Mountain College

Each of the 3 basic classes require 48 hours in a classroom setting, on campus. After admission into the program.

Training is more like continued professional development.

I was curious about the tshirt that BM is wearing in a photo in DM article.

28619682-8340119-image-a-58_1589980599067.jpg

Apparently 'Nine Line' brand tshirt with the 'Drop Line' logo has the following meaning:

Basic Tee - Nine Line Drop

The Drop Line is iconic to the Nine Line brand. When Tyler Merritt, one of our founders, was a Black Hawk pilot in the army, and one of his primary objectives was to utilize the Nine Line medevac to remove injured soldiers from the battlefield. The Drop Line symbolizes this evac situation, with the helicopter at the top, and the rope coming down into the Nine Line name. It represents our company's veteran roots, and our giveback mentality as a company, always striving to be our brothers' keeper. Get one of our most popular tees today!

Question: Is BM a vet?

I understand LE requires "probable cause" for a search warrant, but maybe it's a pressure tactic, too?
Do we often see media photos of cops nonchalantly displaying forensic tools or ziplocs with what might be evidence? This wasn't exactly secretive. Items in a big clear baggie, especially when you'd normally get a paper bag? A clear-as-day photo of a cop with a spray bottle? Maybe they allowed the photos "accidentally on purpose". Maybe the goal is to freak someone out, as well as to do a search?

Training?
I wonder whether volunteer firefighters ever meet up with colleagues/close friends on weekends for self-initiated ‘training’. You know, work-outs and that sort of thing.
@Mimi in London :) Self-initiated training? Like to strengthen forearm muscles, w 12 ounce curls at corner bar (or in UK, lifting pints at their local)? ;) :D :cool: :p

No, seriously. My area's volunteer fire - rescue organization requires certain certifications for anyone to initially participate in either fire OR rescue, but encourages certification for the 'other side' later. Many folks have training in both, not just one.

Not saying that it would be true for Chaffee County.

Last edited:
I understand LE requires "probable cause" for a search warrant, but maybe it's a pressure tactic, too?
Do we often see media photos of cops nonchalantly displaying forensic tools or ziplocs with what might be evidence? This wasn't exactly secretive. Items in a big clear baggie? A clear-as-day photo of a cop with a spray bottle? Maybe they allowed the photos "accidentally on purpose". Maybe the goal is to freak someone out, as well as to do a search?

Most crimes scenes we see pictures of Investigators going in and out. Nothing unusual here

In fact the Stauch case is a good example

To get a search warrant LE had to have something concrete that demonstrated probable cause that a crime had occurred -- that she didn't just take off on her own. What was that? Blood? A message in her cell phone? To get a warrant for the house they had to show that it likely contained items linked to the crime. How did they show that? I don't think they had the info they needed to get the warrant until very recently. If they had it before they would have already gotten the warrant and searched.

I'm not sure that's accurate for missing persons cases. I would want a lawyer to weigh in. @Gitana, where are you?

The probable cause is "there's someone missing from the house." That's all that is needed. It doesn't take blood. In fact, police should not go into a house without permission of one of the owners/occupants. They don't want to find evidence (blood) and then have it thrown out of court. So, before they go in, they get a warrant (sealed). Most judges in the US will give LE a general kind of search warrant if a person is missing. The amount of time the person has to be missing varies - but in a case like this, with a full fledged search happening on May 10, I assume LE contacted a judge on the 11.

You don't need anything more than a missing person and a judge who knows missing persons cases.

The judge may still ask questions (very common). The judge probably took until Tuesday to decide, and then it had to be filed. Then police had to decide who was going out and which experts they wanted.

Do we know which day the search happened? If someone has a lawyer and an interest in contesting the warrant, that could delay things.

The DM article says LE has his phone, as well as his car.

"But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver. Police also have his car and his cell phone – leaving the businessman and volunteer firefighter to communicate through his close friend GD, 33."
Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online
Interesting. The man is wealthy. Why does he have to communicate through his close friend. He can get a new phone anytime. PF did it right away.

We don't know that order of events. The CSI wasn't reported to be there until...when? Certainly not the first night or the second day or the third. It was more like the 7th day, so I think it was recent (they were waiting for a warrant).

Where did you hear that the house was cordoned off before the CSI people arrived with their warrant? There were locals who said they didn't see cordoning, IIRC (here on WS).

I am assuming that when they came with a proper warrant (and he did not know when they would arrive, obviously) he then vacated the premises as requested

I personally don't think they can "cordon off a house" without legal action, like a warrant. So he had a right to be there and was there, at his own home.

FWIW, the Daily Mail article says otherwise:

“But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.”

Do we often see media photos of cops nonchalantly displaying forensic tools or ziplocs with what might be evidence? This wasn't exactly secretive. Items in a big clear baggie, especially when you'd normally get a paper bag? A clear-as-day photo of a cop with a spray bottle? Maybe they allowed the photos "accidentally on purpose". Maybe the goal is to freak someone out, as well as to do a search?

Under Colorado law "an order to seal [a warrant] may only be based on a demonstration, by clear and convincing evidence, that there is a substantial risk of injury to persons or property if an order to seal is not granted."

This is not a PSYOP. The "clear and convincing" standard is a serious burden. The only burden of proof greater than "clear and convincing" is "beyond a reasonable doubt."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234