Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a fire department in Colorado and while oftentimes agencies will collaborate on trainings or offer them up to firefighters from other departments, sometimes the trainings are internal and not publicly listed online. For instance, to get a certification I needed, I took a class that was being put on by another department for only their staff. I was able to contact their training chief and got in with his permission since I work for a neighboring department... I’m not sure how common this is but it does happen.

Also, not all trainings are held in your district and it’s necessary to travel to them because sometimes the expert teaching the course is located in another city and works for another department.

I hope this is helpful. Also, this is my first post and I think I’m supposed to finish with MOO or IMO.

MOO

Good to know and good to have you here with us. Welcome to the wonderful world of WS!!!

Let's let LE do their jobs. We absolutely do not know the details of this case.

What we do know, at this point, is rather a lot.

The house is being treated as a crime scene, with evidence carried out. The date upon which Suzanne disappeared is in doubt. We know the daughters called the neighbor. We know that Barry told someone he was going to Denver.

We don't know when Barry left. We don't know if there was a stalker. There may or may not be a reliable report on when Suzanne left the house.

The bike was found leaning against a "bridge" (perhaps a railing). We don't know who found it. At least, I think we do not.

Today marks the 11th day that Suzanne has been unaccounted for.

There is no BOLO for a suspect. Police do not want regional video right away.

Then, if what Daily Mail, CrimeOnline and Gray Hughes have to say are in the ball park, we have plenty to discuss. That's allowed.

"Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze stated that it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance.

“The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time,” officials with the sheriff’s office stated."
Search For Suzanne Morphew: Sheriff Says Search Warrant Is Sealed

It sounds like several warrants have been issued. Good to know LE is being thorough .

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/County/Contact.cfm?County_ID=28

Funny you mentioned that, since earlier in this case I'd read (somewhere, can't recall now) some tipster thought they saw SM in Portland.
If you hear that and you're from the west coast, you'd immediately think "Oregon".
East coast? It'd be "Maine".
It was neither, turns out the alleged sighting was Portland, Colorado.
I didn't even know Colorado had one of those :)
I also didn't know they have an Idaho Springs.
Would someone there call it just Idaho, or would they say Idaho Springs?

I’ve never heard anyone here just call it Idaho, it’s alway Idaho Springs.

I believe the husband went on the fire training. I believe her bike was found with the brakes locked. I believe someone hit her purposely and picked her up. Women are being grabbed by strangers, when they are jogging, this was when biking. MOO
bbm
I disagree.

I used to think she was run into by a vehicle and taken while biking but I no longer support that opinion.
It would seem that LE would have communicated to the public to be on the lookout for random kidnappers.
Not sure what they (LE) would be thinking to not alert the public if this is indeed what happened and there were facts/evidence to support it.
Plus a vehicle description if possible, and they would have asked for highway and trail cam footage; imo.
As well as bringing in expert law enforcement agencies, if this was self harm or a hit and run -- the fbi are not always brought on board.

But there will hopefully be answers soon.
MOO

Last edited:
JMO
I agree with another previous post that LE had to provide a probable cause to believe a search is justified in order for them to get approval on the search warrant.

I wonder though could the probable cause have simply been the fact that SM is still missing and they need to be certain she is not in her own home.

Let's let LE do their jobs. We absolutely do not know the details of this case.

What we do know, at this point, is rather a lot.

The house is being treated as a crime scene, with evidence carried out. The date upon which Suzanne disappeared is in doubt. We know the daughters called the neighbor. We know that Barry told someone he was going to Denver.

We don't know when Barry left. We don't know if there was a stalker. There may or may not be a reliable report on when Suzanne left the house.

The bike was found leaning against a "bridge" (perhaps a railing). We don't know who found it. At least, I think we do not.

Today marks the 11th day that Suzanne has been unaccounted for.

There is no BOLO for a suspect. Police do not want regional video right away.

Then, if what Daily Mail, CrimeOnline and Gray Hughes have to say are in the ball park, we have plenty to discuss. That's allowed.
lavender bolding mine

This stood out to me as not a kidnapper , nor a hit and run.
Not that someone didn't harm or take her from her own home.
Hence the focus on their house.
This is so sad as it looks like they're in recovery mode.
Imo.

I believe the husband went on the fire training. I believe her bike was found with the brakes locked. I believe someone hit her purposely and picked her up. Women are being grabbed by strangers, when they are jogging, this was when biking. MOO
If the authorities believed that, I don’t think they would have brought CSI to the home.

I work for a fire department in Colorado and while oftentimes agencies will collaborate on trainings or offer them up to firefighters from other departments, sometimes the trainings are internal and not publicly listed online. For instance, to get a certification I needed, I took a class that was being put on by another department for only their staff. I was able to contact their training chief and got in with his permission since I work for a neighboring department... I’m not sure how common this is but it does happen.

Also, not all trainings are held in your district and it’s necessary to travel to them because sometimes the expert teaching the course is located in another city and works for another department.

I hope this is helpful. Also, this is my first post and I think I’m supposed to finish with MOO or IMO.

MOO
You nailed it! Welcome and thank you for weighing in.

I also know training from Physical Therapists is slowly becoming a popular trend among firefighters. How to properly lift etc. to avoid injuries.

Actually, how would the nephew know what the bike's condition was? I'm thinking he wanted to know, hence the pressure.

Since nephew was the person announcing to the public that the bike was found, I think he most likely knew the condition.

I think his request to the reporter for the "public to implore the sheriff" to release information about the bike's condition was to immediately steer the direction of the public's perception before it was too late to reverse the direction. This was my initial reaction and more than a week later I'm convinced this was the motive.

Perhaps he wanted to build off the sheriff's comments but the sheriff has obviously never given him that opportunity by remaining silent this entire investigation. Silent on the details. MOO

I found this tiny bridge on the trailhead closest to her home where they searched the stream and reservoir and then the only other bridges I see in Salida, C0 is Chafee county road and bridge and the F street bridge.
Something bothering me about the Fooses reservoir area as it is an RV park. Was camping being allowed in this area during Mother’s Day weekend? I mean her daughters were camping. Could there have been a creep in the area under the guise of camping? This is so bad to say but because of this pandemic and the quarantine could some bad person or psycho finally have been let out to fulfill their nefarious thoughts and desires they withheld for months. Jmo and just another possible scenario that is probably way out there.
Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Fooses Reservoir

That is the "Fooses Lake Bridge". That bike rider was really brave to stop there and gaze off at the rocks. Below is a freeze-frame shot of what it looks like when a cyclist first sees it.
Here is the whole enchilada, from top at 11, 400 feet to bottom at 9026 ft elevation, faster than an express elevator.
Fooses Creek bike ride - Bing video

Attachments

• Screenshot_The Monarch Crest Ride You Should've Done (Fooses Creek).png
    Screenshot_The Monarch Crest Ride You Should've Done (Fooses Creek).png
    875.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
JMO
I agree with another previous post that LE had to provide a probable cause to believe a search is justified in order for them to get approval on the search warrant.

I wonder though could the probable cause have simply been the fact that SM is still missing and they need to be certain she is not in her own home.

Exactly. Most of the suspicious circumstances posited here could have been sussed out by LE in hours and the search warrant could have been issued a week ago. Surely if it could be proven that BM wasn’t at some nonexistent firefighters training (something I have not seen him claim anyway, but would be pretty easy to disprove) or SM hadn’t been heard from by anyone since 5/8 or the neighbor told them she hadn’t seen SM going on a ride, it wouldn’t have taken so long to get a search warrant for the home of a critically missing woman. I think they’re fresh out of ideas. MOO.

I tried that for a while last night and today. I looked up 10-15 maybe different fire training sites that have (or have links to) courses, events, conferences, seminars, etc.
Without exception, not one of them had anything on the calendar for Mother's Day weekend.
Obviously this doesn't mean a course or event doesn't exist, it just means I couldn't find one in the hour or so I spent looking.
Either way, LE will definitely either confirm it or not, eventually.

Many first responders take additional training to further their careers or just gain knowledge that is useful in their current positions. I don't know but maybe he was working toward eventually becoming a fire fighter paramedic attending EMT or paramedic certification or hazmat courses to further his firefighting career.

Just one possible example that I've located ... Denver Health Paramedics were holding an EMT orientation session on May 11 in Denver. Maybe it was cancelled but I haven't found anything to indicate it was.

So perhaps there is information out there that could exonerate or substantiate what has been claimed about being in Denver.

That's right and after 9 days it certainly doesn't look like they are moving on.

who knows! we've seen investigations happen and finish within days and we've seen them drag on for quite awhile

seen it happen both ways, we won't know more until something cracks and the flood gates start to open

Possible.
Or there's a possibility that the alarm system was malfunctioning some days before, and LE wanted the tapes or hard drive to look at activity in and around the home ?
Had the Morphews had any work done in or outside the home ?
Hoping for a presser or update soon.
<bbm>

If so, had they called someone to repair the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia