Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BLM is staying at the property of a friend which is nearby to BLM's own home. He and his friend were "seen leaving the property" as the CSI team arrived. I think the (unclear) meaning could be that BLM and his friend were seen leaving the friend's property as the CSI team arrived at BLM's home.
Not sure. Could be, but.....There are bikes on a vehicle behind the photo of him with his foot up on the truck.

Maybe he was asked to meet them there to disable the home alarm system?

Just a guess.
Possible.
Or there's a possibility that the alarm system was malfunctioning some days before, and LE wanted the tapes or hard drive to look at activity in and around the home ?
Had the Morphews had any work done in or outside the home ?
Hoping for a presser or update soon.

I could be wrong, but my take on it was that nephew already knew 'the condition' of the bike.
But he wanted the public to know also, possibly to put some pressure on someone?
My impression was that LE wouldn't tell him or the family what condition the bike was in, so he was imploring the media and the public to put pressure on the Sheriff's office to give out that info.
I mean, LE is being super tight-lipped in this case, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they kept that detail from the family.

jmo

Long time watcher, first time posting. This may have been posted already, it’s been moving fast!
Last year firefighter calendar tryouts were in Denver May 11, 2019. Mothers Day was the 12th. For the 2021 calendar it was May 9 from 6-10 pm
Home - Colorado Firefighter Calendar

However a pop up came up and said it was cancelled.
Great Find !!! @bakersgonnabake
You have me chasing this down now to see if this was in fact where he was supposed to be going.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 20, 2020

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.

On Wednesday, May 20, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. To date, there have been approximately 200 tips reported to the designated phone line for information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance.

To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court. According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.

Additionally, while Suzanne’s case remains categorized as a missing person, Sheriff Spezze indicates that this is an open investigation and all possibilities surrounding her disappearance are being considered. The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to the investigation as it becomes available.

Meanwhile, the public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

It's interesting to me that LE seems to be making a very concerted effort to "normalize" the search of the property and to cool assumptions that the public may be making regarding what it means (in terms of guilt/suspicion of any individual). Considering how tight-lipped LE has been on this case, I think that's significant.

I tried that for a while last night and today. I looked up 10-15 maybe different fire training sites that have (or have links to) courses, events, conferences, seminars, etc.
Without exception, not one of them had anything on the calendar for Mother's Day weekend.
Obviously this doesn't mean a course or event doesn't exist, it just means I couldn't find one in the hour or so I spent looking.
Either way, LE will definitely either confirm it or not, eventually.

I work for a fire department in Colorado and while oftentimes agencies will collaborate on trainings or offer them up to firefighters from other departments, sometimes the trainings are internal and not publicly listed online. For instance, to get a certification I needed, I took a class that was being put on by another department for only their staff. I was able to contact their training chief and got in with his permission since I work for a neighboring department... I’m not sure how common this is but it does happen.

Also, not all trainings are held in your district and it’s necessary to travel to them because sometimes the expert teaching the course is located in another city and works for another department.

I hope this is helpful. Also, this is my first post and I think I’m supposed to finish with MOO or IMO.

MOO

I could be wrong, but my take on it was that nephew already knew 'the condition' of the bike.
But he wanted the public to know also, possibly to put some pressure on someone?

To put pressure on someone, or (unbeknownst to him when saying it) to push both the public narrative and the direction of the ongoing “open investigation” in a certain direction. I feel a bit sorry for the nephew at the moment. I think all of a sudden he’s feeling a bit torn.

It's interesting to me that LE seems to be making a very concerted effort to "normalize" the search of the property and to cool assumptions that the public may be making regarding what it means (in terms of guilt/suspicion of any individual). Considering how tight-lipped LE has been on this case, I think that's significant.

I followed Gannon Stauch’s case and they kind of did the samething. CSI was at the Stauch home on several occasions, removing items, even the DA showed up but LE said it’s a missing person case, basically nothing to see here.

I work for a fire department in Colorado and while oftentimes agencies will collaborate on trainings or offer them up to firefighters from other departments, sometimes the trainings are internal and not publicly listed online. For instance, to get a certification I needed, I took a class that was being put on by another department for only their staff. I was able to contact their training chief and got in with his permission since I work for a neighboring department... I’m not sure how common this is but it does happen.

Also, not all trainings are held in your district and it’s necessary to travel to them because sometimes the expert teaching the course is located in another city and works for another department.

I hope this is helpful. Also, this is my first post and I think I’m supposed to finish with MOO or IMO.

MOO

That's really great info to share, and a really great first post. :)
I assumed public searches might not show anything (only because I'm a dork, and a die-hard fan of Chicago Fire) and some events may be internal only as you confirmed, but didn't really know for sure.

Welcome. :)

zecats commented:
Not sure. Could be, but.....There are bikes on a vehicle behind the photo of him with his foot up on the truck.

"I have no idea where the photo was taken. It looked to me like they were getting ready to go searching for SM and brought bikes along. I'm not sure the caption to the photo is specifically referring to the photo itself."

ETA: zcat's comment (I forgot to click "reply")

Last edited:

MOO
Thx for this information. Welcome to Websleuths .

It’s kinda sad that it took this long to search the residence of the house of a missing person. I’m sure they did cursory search for her on first day reported missing. I guess they just received probable cause to do an official search and seizure of items. Thinking out loud.

I tried that for a while last night and today. I looked up 10-15 maybe different fire training sites that have (or have links to) courses, events, conferences, seminars, etc.
Without exception, not one of them had anything on the calendar for Mother's Day weekend.
Obviously this doesn't mean a course or event doesn't exist, it just means I couldn't find one in the hour or so I spent looking.
Either way, LE will definitely either confirm it or not, eventually.

I wonder whether volunteer firefighters ever meet up with colleagues/close friends on weekends for self-initiated ‘training’. You know, work-outs and that sort of thing.

The Daily Mail is a Websleuth's approved source. It is a UK based publication. I think some years ago it might have been a bit on the shady side, but in recent years has done some solid reporting.

IMO, their hallmark is providing lots of photos (much more than any other news source) to accompany their articles. The only thing that is lacking is their reporter's specific knowledge of US geography, often slightly confusing cities, states, counties and townships. IMO, still a good news source though.

IMO, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member