Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the validity of the fire training, I’m not quite understanding this, because obviously this is something that could be easily verified. I would think that if he’s going to construct an alibi, it wouldn’t be one which could be easily disproven.

—-

<modsnip>
EXACTLY!!! I would think it would be impossible to lie about being at a fire training...surely they could easily find out if you were there or not. So right away they should have known if the hubby was out of town for that reason.

It could have been. I am assuming the bridge had to be close to where they were originally searching and so if we have the original search area pinned down to 50/225 area, then I am thinking the bridge had to be from that point or back towards the home. Not many options for the bridge.
I found this tiny bridge on the trailhead closest to her home where they searched the stream and reservoir and then the only other bridges I see in Salida, C0 is Chafee county road and bridge and the F street bridge.
Something bothering me about the Fooses reservoir area as it is an RV park. Was camping being allowed in this area during Mother’s Day weekend? I mean her daughters were camping. Could there have been a creep in the area under the guise of camping? This is so bad to say but because of this pandemic and the quarantine could some bad person or psycho finally have been let out to fulfill their nefarious thoughts and desires they withheld for months. Jmo and just another possible scenario that is probably way out there.
Pike and San Isabel National Forests Cimarron and Comanche National Grasslands - Fooses Reservoir

Attachments

• D9BE8FE0-9A8C-49AF-824A-0576E0AA9636.jpeg
    D9BE8FE0-9A8C-49AF-824A-0576E0AA9636.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 49
Long time watcher, first time posting. This may have been posted already, it’s been moving fast!
Last year firefighter calendar tryouts were in Denver May 11, 2019. Mothers Day was the 12th. For the 2021 calendar it was May 9 from 6-10 pm
Home - Colorado Firefighter Calendar

However a pop up came up and said it was cancelled.
Well, Well, Well. Hmmmmm
JMO

Long time watcher, first time posting. This may have been posted already, it’s been moving fast!
Last year firefighter calendar tryouts were in Denver May 11, 2019. Mothers Day was the 12th. For the 2021 calendar it was May 9 from 6-10 pm
Home - Colorado Firefighter Calendar

However a pop up came up and said it was cancelled.
Is this for sure the same place he was said to be at on Sunday ??
It shows the date of the 9th which is Saturday but I thought he had training on " Sunday" ??
Just trying to verify if this is the same place he was going..
JMO

This post is an attempt to make sense of the various tidbits of information that have made mainstream news reports. Please don’t expect me to prove ANY of the MSM reports as I’m not confident in their veracity myself. All I’m trying to do is plot the information onto a map as a line of events, instead of random bursts of disconnected info. The illustration is a Google Earth Aerial View of the area, with SM’s house at 19057 Puma Path marked by a yellow pin on the extreme right. It is reported that she left about 8:00 am, proceeding toward the vicinity of the intersection of Highway 50 and County Road 225. Her neighbor JR saw her ride by her house, which is marked by another yellow pin at 19069 Monarch River Rd. I have ,marked the route in light blue line following SM’s driveway, Puma Path, and County Road 225. Just past the bridge over the South Arkansas River, marked with a yellow pin, CR 225 veers right, to rise to join Highway 50, but I have veered SM’s possible route left, following the path of service crews on the massive power line. Once the clear cut is joined, the elevation is precisely 8,850 ft. I can see how she may have planned an all-day outing, involving riding / walking all the way up the clear cut to the top, at 11,400 ft. There is a well worn path, and the exact elevation rise might be convenient for exercise calculating. I can only guess at that part because you will never see me doing this run. I’ve cut off the majority of the ascent, to keep the aerial view in reasonable perspective. But imagine that blue line going all the way up. On top, there are paths across the ridge (literally ridge at the top of Monarch) to a permanent sign marking the Fooses Lake descent. I’ve picked up the path with a neon green line near the point where I cut off on the left side of the picture. It descends rapidly to the Fooses Lake Bridge (marked with another pin), which appears to actually be a way up the canyon from Fooses Lake. Note that path path down only crosses the path up in one spot. It doesn’t cross in the hidden portion of the paths, either. That single crossing is in an open flat, severely limiting the possibility of fast moving descending bikers slamming into slow moving ascending bikers. Once past Foos Lake, SM’s path would have been on County Road 225, crossing the bridge over Fooses Creek marked with a yellow pin, and retracing her route up Puma Path and her driveway to home. Obviously, she never made it home.
So the burning question is, was her progress stopped at the bridge, and if it was, then which bridge. All three bridges are west of the highway intersection (sort of), and all three are within the 2000 feet from her house description (sort of). I’ve placed a circle red circle, which is much distorted by the landscape and angle view at the 2000 foot mark from the intersection. I need to note that the Foos Lake Bridge is really difficult to locate, and simple logic might have told a reporter that the bridge should be at the lake of the same name, which is 2000 feet. I don’t have an answer. I wish I did, because that might tell us whether she was intercepted in the morning ascent, or in the afternoon descent (or possibly never got to the point of ascent, if the object was found on or near US50 beyond where my blue line makes that sharp left turn.
Lots to think about! IMO

Screenshot created entirely by Google Earth

Attachments

• SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    SM Locations - Monarch Pass.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
There was a 3 pm (Colorado time) press conference today. Below is a link. Only major news: yesterday the LE searchers found a few more personal items near Highway 5o and County Rd. 225 that they believe are SM's. I'm pretty sure I listened to to the whole thing and NOT ONE PERSON asked if they searched the Morphew home! Ugh.

Investigators hold home of Colorado woman missing since Mother's Day

How far away is this from her home ? Also, “personal items” most likely means articles of clothing. I’m trying to envision a criminal scenario where there is a trail of clothing or personal items over a distance near the home? This would suggest she is out there somewhere. Because why drive a body if you are leaving shoes, shorts etc all over as evidence?

There was a 3 pm (Colorado time) Chaffee County Sheriff Department press conference today. Below is a link. Only major news: yesterday the LE searchers found a few more personal items near Highway 5o and County Rd. 225 that they believe are SM's. I'm pretty sure I listened to to the whole thing and NOT ONE PERSON asked if they searched the Morphew home! Ugh.

Investigators hold home of Colorado woman missing since Mother's Day
I believe that was on old interview.

Trouble posting quote on previous post - assume mean 2020 (not 2021) fire fighter tryouts were cancelled for May 9th in Denver ...now these are 'tryouts'......

BM was already a volunteer firefighter - maybe he was attending other trainings not designed for those seeking to become one (or maybe the volunteers need to train to be permanent firefighters?)

Either way - great find bakersgonnabake & thanks for sharing :)

How far away is this from here home ? Also, “personal items” most likely means articles of clothing. I’m trying to envision a criminal scenario where there is a trail of clothing or personal items over a distance near the home? This would suggest she is out there somewhere. Because why drive a body if you are leaving shoes, shorts etc all over as evidence?

We talked about personal items extensively in thread #3. We came up with a long list of things she might have been carrying on a bicycle. The list of personal items from a purse, backpack, or car probably numbers several dozen.

I'm wondering whether she was throwing them out of a moving vehicle trying to leave a trail.

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE

May 20, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew.

Ms. Morphew is a Chaffee County woman reported missing on May 10, 2020.
On Wednesday, May 20, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. To date, there have been approximately 200 tips reported to the designated phone line for information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance.

To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court. According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.

Additionally, while Suzanne’s case remains categorized as a missing person, Sheriff Spezze indicates that this is an open investigation and all possibilities surrounding her disappearance are being considered. The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to the investigation as it becomes available.
Meanwhile, the public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

*****Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze*****

Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE

May 20, 2020
Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, with assistance from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), continue the missing person search for Suzanne Morphew.

On Wednesday, May 20, investigators continued to review and follow-up on tips reported to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office. To date, there have been approximately 200 tips reported to the designated phone line for information about Ms. Morphew’s disappearance.

To clarify media reports about the Morphew residence, the house continues to be held by law enforcement during this open investigation through a search warrant that has been sealed by the court. According to Sheriff John Spezze, it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance. The Morphew residence is just one of many areas of focus as part of this open investigation at this time.

Additionally, while Suzanne’s case remains categorized as a missing person, Sheriff Spezze indicates that this is an open investigation and all possibilities surrounding her disappearance are being considered. The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office will release information related to the investigation as it becomes available.
Meanwhile, the public is asked to continue to report any information about this case by calling (719) 312-7530.

“Open investigation” mentioned no less than three times.

I checked NAMUS yesterday - no Suzanne. Is it not protocol in Chaffee County/Colorado to enter missing persons into some database?

Is there a statewide database (in Colorado's Department of Justice or similar)?

(I don’t know how to quote right yet, so sorry)
In the NG podcast, although one of her sources said that the neighbor had seen her- it was still speculated within the podcast whether the neighbor had seen her, or if she’d received a call to check on SM :)

RSBM

Rather curious a missing person case would have her home's search warrant sealed.
But at least that's the first LE confirmation I'm aware that admits it was a search, with a warrant.

Salida, Colorado
PRESS RELEASE
May 20, 2020

Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members