Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi...I’m a new member and have not posted yet. I’m trying to get the hang of how to post to this thread and want to make sure and follow the rules. I have become obsessed with this case and would like to participate in the convo/sleuthing but first this is a quick test to make sure I am not just replying to the last person who posted. I don’t see where it says to add a new post only reply to post.
I think you just did..post. Welcome to Websleuths

The neighbor, if identified correctly in the DM article, is across the S Arkansas River, although it isn't a huge waterway. She'd have to walk down from her house to the river (it appears from the subdivision map that the back side lot boundaries of the lots that adjoin the river in this subdivision are the centerline of the river), cross the water, and then walk up a hill to the Morphew house.

Fairly easy to do, but a little bit of a hike. However, if the neighbor chose to drive to the Morphew house, then she would have driven over a bridge across the S Arkansas River and one over Fooses Creek to get to Puma Path and the Morphew driveway and house. Both bridges are probably fairly small as waterway crossings go; the Fooses Creek crossing might even just be a large concrete culvert with the road over it.

That is my question if anyone knows.

Do the only bridges where the bike could have been found cross a body of water that is large enough for someone to jump or be thrown into the water and not be easily seen?

Like is the water deep enough where a body could sink or be carried downstream if a river or creek?

Or are they so tiny that the water under the bridge could not hide or carry away a body?

Im still keeping suicide open as a viable option if there is any chance the water under the bridge where her bike was found is deep enough or a strong enough current to carry someone away.

I am not sure we know what exact bridge yet but there should only be a couple options from her home. LE was searching near 50 so I think from 50 back towards her house would be the only bridge options.

Hi...I’m a new member and have not posted yet. I’m trying to get the hang of how to post to this thread and want to make sure and follow the rules. I have become obsessed with this case and would like to participate in the convo/sleuthing but first this is a quick test to make sure I am not just replying to the last person who posted. I don’t see where it says to add a new post only reply to post.

It's great to have you in here with us. Welcome to the madness. Be prepared to get nothing but sleuthing done. LOL

Any ideas on when and where pix were taken?
(The pic credit to "Andy Johnstone for Daily Mail.com" suggests pix were taken post-disappearance.)
Or if M fam owns the vehicle and/or bikes in these 2 pix?
Most likely not relevant, just asking.

28620186-8340119-Barry_Morphew_seen_near_his_Colorado_home-a-10_1590000907286.jpg

28620130-8340119-Barry_Morphew_seen_near_his_Colorado_home-a-8_1590000907281.jpg

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

How is that different from the attached images I see? Because I have the link option, but not the attachment option? Is there a setting I missed?

And since she doesn't have gloves on I'm assuming she's headed into the house, not out of it, to answer someone else's question earlier, but the spray bottle is interesting.

It looks like an ordinary water bottle to me, and a pair of non-latex gloves.......both being held in the same hand. The camera definitely looks like she was taking pictures, though. Is she going to the house, from the house, or is she going to or from the place where they found the personal item. I can't tell ..........all I see is rocks and trees. Is she the same lady that looks like the CBI fauna expert? all just my opinion JMO

If she was a cancer patient/survivor they may have moved due to the availability of medical marijuana. Another poster mentioned the awesome medical care and facilities within the area as well. IMO

Yes, exactly what my thoughts were <modsnip>
May be in to starting a little business, with BM's gardening knowledge, and that can cause problems amongst like minded folks sometimes....all jmo, speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is my question if anyone knows.

Do the only bridges where the bike could have been found cross a body of water that is large enough for someone to jump or be thrown into the water and not be easily seen?

Like is the water deep enough where a body could sink or be carried downstream if a river or creek?

Or are they so tiny that the water under the bridge could not hide or carry away a body?

Im still keeping suicide open as a viable option if there is any chance the water under the bridge where her bike was found is deep enough or a strong enough current to carry someone away.

I am not sure we know what exact bridge yet but there should only be a couple options from her home. LE was searching near 50 so I think from 50 back towards her house would be the only bridge options.

Or was the bridge on the biking trail?

Were the Covid19 restrictions in Idaho as strict as in Colorado and other states for camping/hiking/renting an cabin?

I have a friend who lives in Northern Idaho and she was surprised when I told her about the 'Stay At Home' orders and all of the restrictions we've had here in Ohio.

JMO
Idaho implemented their restrictions much later than CO and I do not believe they have been as strict there.

JMO, but as a parent of teenagers, I wouldn't read anything into a camping trip. All of mine (teenagers) are getting stir crazy and have been dying to get out and do something (anything) out of the norm - especially if they can see their peers. So the kids being away doesn't sound off any bells for me.

I don't understand, though, SM being home alone. I know everyone is wired differently, but I know my wife would never be comfortable in a big, empty, remote house in the woods all by herself for a weekend. She would have tagged along on my trip, stayed with a friend, gone with the kids - something - rather than stay alone. Maybe this was normal for SM (if BM travels a lot, it's certainly possible), that would be something I'd be interested to know as well. MOO.
I sooo agree! My husband would not have wanted me to be alone either, especially since they were new to the area.

BBM
I don't think we know much... but IMO the being at firefighting training kind of evolved (without any substantiation) from "in Denver," to "in Denver for work," to "in Denver for Fire Fighting training".

JMO, IMO, MOO
And, like anything posted here without a giant IMO will take on legs and run. Like, "Why was he in Denver?" "He could have been in Denver for work." "But he's a volunteer FF, so why would he need to be in Denver for work?" "Oh, it could have been training." "Oh, so he was in Denver for firefighting training; got it." "So, husband claims he was in Denver for FF training." I watched it happen.

JMO, IMO, MOO

Actually, it "grew legs" due to specific things posted on various FB's that we're not allowed to sleuth. Clearly, the reporter for the DM (and perhaps NG) contacted some of those people directly. I got the feeling said persons wanted their information to be public, or else they wouldn't have gone to such trouble to make it public and visible in various places on FB.

FB isn't allowed here (except for the victim's FB), but reporters are free to contact anyone they wish. Looks to me like the DM reporter showed up on scene (wouldn't be the first time) and got pictures that otherwise would not be available. Reporters can take pictures (sometimes they have to use telephoto of course) in any public space in the US.

It's interesting that the two daughters' story got into that article, but the reporter never says who he spoke to, directly. He does say the neighbor declined to comment.

Hmm. Hypothetically if I was going to do something criminal, I wouldn't give an alibi of something like a conference or a training because I know LE can so very easily follow up on that to make sure 1) it happened and 2) I was there. I mean, I guess unless I froze in the moment and had a total brain fart. Just MOO

Yes, but do we know the training exercise BLM claimed to be participating in was cancelled? A hot body calendar tryout isn't a "firefighter training exercise." Has anyone been able to locate a training class that took place on Mother's Day? I've looked but haven't been able to locate one although there are firefighter training schools located in Denver. None seem to have a calendar of events for the month of May. But, I'm not really a very good researcher and often come up empty where others find information.

<modsnip: No link to image. ALL images require a link to the source>

Just from another perspective ... obviously fire fighters are having to attend fires regardless of a global Covid crisis. Maybe training on how to deal with fire fighting in a Covid situation?

do we know for a fact it was a firefighter event? or was it a work event? could it have been a landscaping event?

MOO.

Welcome.

The area at the very bottom that has "Write your reply" with a "Post Reply" button that you used to do your above post is the area to use to post any message that is for anything and not particular to another specific post.

If you want to reply to a specific post, then look in any post and there is a button at the bottom-right of that post that says "Reply" and that will add the quotes of the other post in the box for you so that you can add whatever you want underneath their quoted post.
Their quoted part will begin with [ QUOTE=.... ] and end with [ /QUOTE ].
You want to be sure to keep your reply to their post underneath and outside of those quote brackets.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Re: the validity of the fire training, I’m not quite understanding this, because obviously this is something that could be easily verified. I would think that if he’s going to construct an alibi, it wouldn’t be one which could be easily disproven.

—-

<modsnip>

Yes, exactly what my thoughts were before my post was removed.....
May be in to starting a little business, with BM's gardening knowledge, and that can cause problems amongst like minded folks sometimes....all jmo, speculation.
This has been swirling around my head as well. New in area—stepping on toes?

Re: the validity of the fire training, I’m not quite understanding this, because obviously this is something that could be easily verified. I would think that if he’s going to construct an alibi, it wouldn’t be one which could be easily disproven.

—-

<modsnip>
I've been thinking the exact same thing. I'm not sure it's verified that he said he was away training, but if he did - thats black or white.

I've read most of these posts, but still have a possibly naive question. Is it still theoretically possible that something non-criminal happened to SM, assuming she really did go biking? I know they've said animal attack and suicide have been ruled out, but what about a bike accident where she hit her head and walked off in a daze? I know that sounds unlikely, but I've heard of this happening after a car accident. Also, my dad had a mountain biking accident where he flew over the handlebar and hit his head on a large rock. Luckily he had a helmet and he was okay, but I could see a scenario where one could be dazed and confused and stumble off in the wrong direction. Someone else coming along down the trail could have propped the bike up at the bridge if they found it on the trail or in the brush (I think I read it was propped up?). Just trying to think of other scenarios besides the nefarious, especially since descriptions of the searches in the area early on indicated steep and rugged terrain.

I'm assuming the condition of the bike might be a clue as to this possibility, or any of the other unknowns that LE might have that we the public do not. I'm just wondering if anything that we know of has really ruled out this possibility?

Or was the bridge on the biking trail?

It could have been. I am assuming the bridge had to be close to where they were originally searching and so if we have the original search area pinned down to 50/225 area, then I am thinking the bridge had to be from that point or back towards the home. Not many options for the bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader