Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, I wanted to correct something. I had attached a picture of what I thought was a “quarry” up Monarch Pass several days ago. In reality this isn’t a quarry, but a mine. This mine is called Madonna Mine and it is a ghost mine.

https://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/monarch.html

Just wanted to set the record straight… :)

Attachments

• 20200926_143657_compress30.jpg
    20200926_143657_compress30.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20200926_143650_compress76.jpg
    20200926_143650_compress76.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 79
Ok just something else I’ve been thinking about and then I’ve got to go do some stuff but is it possible LE did find remains? Would LE deny it just to get everyone from the search out of town and out of the way so they could get the situation more under control to further excavate those sites without being watched? And so they could make an unexpected arrest without incident? If they had found Suzanne that day it would have been a media circus and BM could have tried to flee or had a stand off. Didn’t someone say they prefer to make arrests away from the home in a surprise manner such as a traffic stop? And even if they didn’t find remains could LE have decided to go forward with an arrest now because they are confident they have enough evidence without a body? Maybe October was their cut off time for finding Suzanne? I’m probably just overthinking myself into false hope again...is anybody else having these kind of thoughts today? I will admit having been influenced (again) by PE last night. Chris saying buckle your seat belts and pop the popcorn got me riled up again. Now I have to go run some errands so something will surely go down while I’m away. :D

SPECULATION FOLLOWS:

• SM was texting/messaging with a female friend
• BM may have thought SM was texting a male friend
• _an argument ensues - something bad happens_
• BM maybe then grabbed SM's phone and began checking
• BM saw a list of pending FB friend requests sent TO SM's account
• BM was curious if SM posted to their FB accounts, he wants to see
• BM accepted all those friend requests to see their posts
• _more argument ensues - something worse happens_

MOO - MOO - MOO

The sandwich sighting reminds me of another case that I’ve mentioned in previous threads.

Maybe the sighting was equivalent to “my wife is across the street in the fifth wheel”?
Kind of like, I saw S in the truck while B was inside picking up the order?

Which would make me think, Do we know it was S? Or just a female with the same vague shape/size as S?

The sandwich sighting reminds me of another case that I’ve mentioned in previous threads.

Maybe the sighting was equivalent to “my wife is across the street in the fifth wheel”?

I see what you did there :)

IIRC, in the BT case the gas station employee, supposedly reported that RT made a point to mention his wife was across the street in the truck. Many speculated if that was even true and if RT was attempting to put a public timestamp on where she was that day. IMO

IMO, listening to AM talking to Dr. Phil, he seemed adamant about the 4pm public Saturday sighting of SM w/ BM. If this is true, that's a big deal and really narrows the public's timeline down or at least my own.

Thinking back to LS's interview with MG, IIRC, she aired the part where MG stated she talked to BM on Sunday and he sounded like he had the worst night of his life. I absolutely think LS would have asked, what time was this on Sunday? I believe LS decided not to air the actual time of this call. Which is fine and she would have her reasons. IMO

I'm still thrown off by this 4pm public Saturday sighting (if true) of SM and how this was never reported in the media. It's such a simple and crucial event of when the missing person was last seen by someone other than the people in her home. If true, stumped on this one. Unless the person (s) who was a witness to this sighting didn't want to go public with it, and talked to LE but did want to talk to the media, which I totally respect. IMO
Speaking of LS and interviews, I’ve gone back to watch this YouTube with Tricia interviewing LS. At 22:03 Tricia asks her if she will post the BM interviews in their entirety and LS says perhaps someday. Then LS brings up wanting to release more of her interviews with MG and JP. She says she wants to release information that can help investigators but she is not sure in what capacity she can do that. LS says that people were wanting to know what made JP decide to start talking to reporters so she asked him and he told her. But she’s not sure if or when she should release that.

Hi All, I wanted to correct something. I had attached a picture of what I thought was a “quarry” up Monarch Pass several days ago. In reality this isn’t a quarry, but a mine. This mine is called Madonna Mine and it is a ghost mine.

https://www.ghosttowns.com/states/co/monarch.html

Just wanted to set the record straight… :)

This is an interesting point. Abandoned mines and mine ventilation shafts have been used to dispose of bodies over the years. PA has tons of abandoned coal mines with their ventilation shafts located deep in woods, scrub etc. Dropping a body down a mine vent shaft comes about as close to the perfect disposal as is possible. State Bureau of mines may have maps that show the locations of some, but not all of the local mines. Hikers and hunters on occasion find these vent shafts and mine openings by accident deep in the woods. They are unmarked and poorly covered for the most part. It might be worth while to see where the local abandoned/closed mines are located in proximity to where the bike was found and other areas of interest,

Had we heard the employees reported BM frantically calling and texting employees at 0400 Sunday morning?

This and being seen with BM in town getting a sandwich is new.

Hmmmm.
I know I have catching up to do. So someone may have thought of this.
If a woman with sunglasses on, could she look like SM?

Speaking of LS and interviews, I’ve gone back to watch this YouTube with Tricia interviewing LS. At 22:03 Tricia asks her if she will post the BM interviews in their entirety and LS says perhaps someday. Then LS brings up wanting to release more of her interviews with MG and JP. She says she wants to release information that can help investigators but she is not sure in what capacity she can do that. LS says that people were wanting to know what made JP decide to start talking to reporters so she asked him and he told her. But she’s not sure if or when she should release that.

BBM

Great catch, @Cindizzi !

So, Barry said to Gene that he loved his daughter, as in past tense? When did Barry come to that conclusion, was she officially determined to be deceased then, even now?
So if he needed Gene’s signature for the guardianship papers, did BM forge his signature or was it not needed to get the papers prepared and approved by the Judge? Cannot wait until we can see this document and so many more .

This is an interesting point. Abandoned mines and mine ventilation shafts have been used to dispose of bodies over the years. PA has tons of abandoned coal mines with their ventilation shafts located deep in woods, scrub etc. Dropping a body down a mine vent shaft comes about as close to the perfect disposal as is possible. State Bureau of mines may have maps that show the locations of some, but not all of the local mines. Hikers and hunters on occasion find these vent shafts and mine openings by accident deep in the woods. They are unmarked and poorly covered for the most part. It might be worth while to see where the local abandoned/closed mines are located in proximity to where the bike was found and other areas of interest,
i was under the impression drones would be dropped into the mines during the search. If something or somebody was just dropped into a hole it would stop somewhere that a camera could also pick up with a light- we use 250 ft "see snakes" made by Ridgid Tool to inspect dark underground 4" pipes up to 500 ft i think and the limit is because the cable has to be pushed----lowering a camera in a hole would use "gravity" to allow it to go further than the 500 ft we "push"a camera in a pipe---translation: a 1 mile deep hole can be inspected with a 1 mile wire hooked to a camera---how much can a wire cost? imo
p.s 30 sec google search--
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273760763_Camera_Based_3D_Mine-Shaft_Inspection_System
they rent them! Mine Shaft Inspection Camera System - Certified Mining and Construction Sales and Rentals
use a phone for 10 bucks--https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Inspection-Borescope-Waterproof-Phone-16-4ft/dp/B07YY6KLSN/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=inspection+camera+mineshaft&qid=1601662363&sr=8-39

Last edited:

I missed this. Thanks for posting it!

Oh, and I noticed your duck is wearing a striped shirt with the numbers 23.
2+3=5
Things are starting to add up! ;):p

So if he needed Gene’s signature for the guardianship papers, did BM forge his signature or was it not needed to get the papers prepared and approved by the Judge? Cannot wait until we can see this document and so many more .

In the end he got the signature of his older daughter. Gene was probably his first port of call - it’s easier to con and old, sick man than someone who could question you about it for the rest of your life.

Moo

I find it very interesting that AM is leaking some details of the investigation to the world (like on the Dr. Phil show that will air today). Of course I wonder if he's gotten a wink and a nod from someone in LE that it's okay if he says some things.

IMO
Could AM intentionally be putting out some of this info in error?

SM/BM sighted together on Saturday afternoon doesn't fit. Could this sighting have been Friday?

I've given up on the timing of the abrupt end to SM's communication with a friend located in IN!

I've been trying to put myself in the shoes of BM's Broomfield work crew.

MG noted that BM was ready acting weird at the Salida job site on Saturday morning.

JP was offered "good money" for a last minute job. How good? Unbelievably good?

BM contacts worker at 4am on Mother's Day, trying to get the job going.

MG says he sounds like he just had the worst night of his life.

They arrive to find a hodgepodge of useless tools in a chlorine infused hotel room.

BM had not prepped the job or ordered blocks.

BM has left due to a family emergency.

At what point do they start to feel something is fishy?
Do they reach out to any locals for information?
Or do they not start to put two and two together until BM tells them that Suzanne is missing?

Did BM honestly think that these workers were going to fall in line and help him make his fake alibi believable? Because the money was so good? Was it really hush money after all?
Moo of course.

Ugg... our local channel that carries Dr. Phil is showing the playoff games.
Bummer. It’s on NBC here channel 5.1 ( I only have antenna). I just looked again and it’s not 3:00, it’s 4:00 Pm. And I discovered it will be shown again at 8:00 pm on channel 5.2 which is a Weather channel ! Not telling this to rub it in, just thought maybe it’s shown twice in your area too? If not, I’ll let you know I find an online link.

This is an intriguing idea.

Generally, the Colorado Press Shield Law would prevent LM from being forced to testify about unpublished information from news source that she gathered in her capacity as a reporter. But there are exceptions, and if your speculation touches on the truth, the information LE is after could be very significant. The exceptions are in red, bold type:

"C.R.S. § 13-90-119

(2) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary and except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, no newsperson shall, without such newsperson's express consent, be compelled to disclose, be examined concerning refusal to disclose, be subjected to any legal presumption of any kind, or be cited, held in contempt, punished, or subjected to any sanction in any judicial proceedings for refusal to disclose any news information received, observed, procured, processed, prepared, written, or edited by a newsperson, while acting in the capacity of a newsperson; except that the privilege of nondisclosure shall not apply to the following:

(a) News information received at a press conference;

(b) News information which has actually been published or broadcast through a medium of mass communication;

(c) News information based on a newsperson's personal observation of the commission of a crime if substantially similar news information cannot reasonably be obtained by any other means;

(d) News information based on a newsperson's personal observation of the commission of a class 1, 2, or 3 felony.

(3) Notwithstanding the privilege of nondisclosure granted in subsection (2) of this section, any party to a proceeding who is otherwise authorized by law to issue or obtain subpoenas may subpoena a newsperson in order to obtain news information by establishing by a preponderance of the evidence, in opposition to a newsperson's motion to quash such subpoena:

(a) That the news information is directly relevant to a substantial issue involved in the proceeding;

(b) That the news information cannot be obtained by any other reasonable means; and

(c) That a strong interest of the party seeking to subpoena the newsperson outweighs the interests under the first amendment to the United States constitution of such newsperson in not responding to a subpoena and of the general public in receiving news information.

(4) The privilege of nondisclosure established by subsection (2) of this section may be waived only by the voluntary testimony or disclosure of a newsperson that directly addresses the news information or identifies the source of such news information sought. A publication or broadcast of a news report through the mass media concerning the subject area of the news information sought, but which does not directly address the specific news information sought, shall not be deemed a waiver of the privilege of nondisclosure as to such specific news information."

LS certainly knows more than she has shared in her stories and interviews, but what could she know that is directly relevant to a substantial issue involved in the investigation, that is so important to LE that the interest in bringing SM's killer to justice outweighs the press freedom clause of the Constitution?

Even more intriguing - what serious crime could she have observed personally?
The law addresses when a reporter can be made to testify against their will. Perhaps she learned something during the course of her investigation that doesn’t betray a source, is quite damning and she would gladly testify about if and when the case goes to trial....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member