Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

How were they expected to do the job when BM, who allegedly went there to set up the job in the first place, didn't leave the correct tools? Were they supposed to pop over to the local Home Depot and get the right tools on their own dime? Why was he there in Broomfield if he didn't set up the job?

Both JP and MG said, in separate interviews, that BM left tools. Both insisted they were the wrong tools for the job.

JP said they never went to the job at all, because the tools were wrong and the supplies never showed up.

MG said Barry had done "about a half hour's work" on the job.

How did the tools function for Barry to do work, but not for JP and MG?

How did JP know the materials weren't delivered to the job when he said he was never at the job because BM left the wrong tools?

IMO

Why do I suspect the firing had everything to do with him not paying her and letting her know he wouldn't be hiring her ever again?

Which is probably brutal in that trade, where connections are everything.

JMO

So they found her helmet? That’s the recovered item?

I'm not certain that is the item found. I don't think anyone really knows, but it is alleged to be the item (by PE?).

What I find difficult to wrap my head around is IF that is the item, it's pretty coincidental that the item BM was asking about and looking for in the dumpster was also her helmet. I have to wonder if LE didn't find out from that same Poncha Market manager about BM looking for that item, and then allege to the public that it was the helmet, to cause some discomfort for the (alleged) POI.

JMO.

Some questions I've been mulling....

Was Poncha Market the ONLY location he was caught playing Search & Find (or Hide & Duck)?

Was he, in fact, searching for a helmet or was that the first thing that came to mind when he was caught/questioned?

It's really a very strange place to look for one's wife. Same for an artifact. Why there? Lion sometimes, after big prey, needs sammich? Might've swung by, dropped trash off? Abductor put it there?

Seems curious to me that, of Suzanne, only two items seem to have been recovered. Her bike. And potentially her helmet. And he should be looking for the only other item, yet to be found? Did he have reason to believe/know it MIGHT be in that trash? Surely he knew if he happened to find it, it would raise eyebrows, making him look even more guilty.

So.... was he actually looking for something else? Or hiding/discarding something, in the style of F. Dulos? Might he have recovered the helmet from that same trash later, only to toss it onto the hillside where it was later found? Did he recover it from a different trash can? All to further his abduction story?

There's something fishy about that trash receptacle. And his interest in it.

While he was focused on that, everybody else was searching for HIS WIFE.

Priorities.

JMO

Last edited:
One could ask, why BM did have a female employee at all? To a man like BM (reckless/busy/strong) it doesn't fit really, IMO. Helping her since at least one year or longer with a job in a selfless way, also wouldn't make sense. To take her, seems a strange decision for a big, successful landscaper, which he had been in IN at least. IMO

Why do you think he had a young attractive female employee around him he hired and used so much ? We hire manpower out of the union hall ( pay living wage)and take whoever shows up-Oh yea- I'm gonna ask the hall for a young fertile single broke strung out foxy female- probably get blackballed and my wife called-- if not arrested----IMO Motown
I've had to bust my *advertiser censored* twice as hard as all my male co-workers to prove my worth as an equal and prove that I'm just one of the guys and show that I'm not there to sleep w any of them! I work in most of the trades and am attractive and generally younger than the person paying me. I don't sleep w them. I don't blackmail them. If I find out they expect that or they dont tell the SO's they work w a female I leave. And I'm always the best most loyal and hardest worker on every crew I've been on because of these kind of assumptions. 50% of my work is as a contractor w Lowes and its always an advantage to have a female working in family homes. They are more comfortable having a female around and like my perspective. The other 50% of my work is everything from framing to drywall to plumbing, electric and paint. There's very little I haven't done.
Motown as well. I'm starting a huge home renovation in Birmingham next week.
I don't know what MG's motivations are in doing that type of work I just know that I strive to be an asset and hope she does as well cause its hard enough out there without the hassle of dealing w these stereotypical thoughts of females in the trades.

I think they moved to Colorado because Barry loves hunting, and that house and land provided him the perfect place with which to do that.

He didn’t give a damn about what Suzanne wanted.

I think where the manipulation may have come in, is convincing Suzanne to move there in the first place.
The DW actually had a conversation with both BM and SM years before they moved out to CO. This was their plan, to eventually retire out there. Per her, they both seemed genuinely excited about it (SM wasn't a hunter, but did enjoy the outdoors). This would have been before her 2nd bout with cancer. I think you are right, BM does what BM wants, but he at least (at one time) had her convinced this would be a good move. MOO, JMO.

There was discussion a while back about the Puma Path home being listed for sale and who could have written the description or taken the photos. After looking at the listing agent's bio, I am convinced she may well have done both. I count 14 exclamation points in just a few short paragraphs. Also, her headshot photo is not in focus. All jibe with the PP listing. I did not see the BM house listed on the agent's site, but this other Sold Property (A River Runs Through It - Western Mountain Real Estate) is pretty close to PP and has a drone footage video that shows just how beautiful that area is in the snow.

Perhaps they knew each other through baseball or some other extra curricular activity. So, not from BMs hometown, but possibly buddies through sports. I’m going to give the guy benefit of the doubt until there’s reason not to. Jmo
I agree, there is no reason for him to lie. I just was giving some context to his statements....

I've had to bust my *advertiser censored* twice as hard as all my male co-workers to prove my worth as an equal and prove that I'm just one of the guys and show that I'm not there to sleep w any of them! I work in most of the trades and am attractive and generally younger than the person paying me. I don't sleep w them. I don't blackmail them. If I find out they expect that or they dont tell the SO's they work w a female I leave. And I'm always the best most loyal and hardest worker on every crew I've been on because of these kind of assumptions. 50% of my work is as a contractor w Lowes and its always an advantage to have a female working in family homes. They are more comfortable having a female around and like my perspective. The other 50% of my work is everything from framing to drywall to plumbing, electric and paint. There's very little I haven't done.
Motown as well. I'm starting a huge home renovation in Birmingham next week.
I don't know what MG's motivations are in doing that type of work I just know that I strive to be an asset and hope she does as well cause its hard enough out there without the hassle of dealing w these stereotypical thoughts of females in the trades.

Thank you for posting your experience!

The DW actually had a conversation with both BM and SM years before they moved out to CO. This was their plan, to eventually retire out there. Per her, they both seemed genuinely excited about it (SM wasn't a hunter, but did enjoy the outdoors). This would have been before her 2nd bout with cancer. I think you are right, BM does what BM wants, but he at least (at one time) had her convinced this would be a good move. MOO, JMO.

Hoosier, I hate to ask this so late in the game, but what is DW? I cannot figure it out.

Excellent question. While technically possible, it could be simpler to just have the older daughter become the successor guardian. A court has already held that Suzanne is an incapacitated person, so the court has continued jurisdiction over the case. An alternative might be to simply move all of the assets into some kind of trust & make his daughter the trustee, though @oviedo has much more experience with trusts than I do & may be able to address the trust issue.

Moreover, moving assets into the foundation creates a tax problem: how does one then use the assets in a personal manner and/or "get them out" of the foundation without creating suspicion on the part of the IRS or state taxing authorities?
The simplest thing to do IMO is create a revocable living trust with the oldest or his mother as successor trustee and then title all the assets including the properties in the name of the trust with trust deeds that will be recorded. The successor trustee controls all trust assets should the trustee become incapacitated or unable to serve as trustee. However as long as he is the trustee those assets are under his control- he can’t really hide them unless he creates a blind trust with someone else as trustee but the transfers would all be public record. The foundation would not be a good place to stash assets IMO/ he doesn’t want the IRS looking too closely. jMO

I'm not certain that is the item found. I don't think anyone really knows, but it is alleged to be the item (by PE?).

What I find difficult to wrap my head around is IF that is the item, it's pretty coincidental that the item BM was asking about and looking for in the dumpster was also her helmet. I have to wonder if LE didn't find out from that same Poncha Market manager about BM looking for that item, and then allege to the public that it was the helmet, to cause some discomfort for the (alleged) POI.

JMO.

LE has never said what the personal item was. In the question period of the only news conference on the case, Sheriff Spezze was specifically asked to identify the personal item and said he could not provide that due to it being an open investigation.
IMO

HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff

It still puzzles me what BM did in Broomfield all day. Perhaps he was only there for a couple of hours at the motel.

If the job was his alibi why wouldn’t he have carried through with it? Was he in such a dither that he forgot the tools? Did he spend all day hiding SM in that area?

What was the purpose in saying he ordered bricks and then didn’t? Did he think he was in the clear and no one would investigate it? Just a missing person and nobody would even care.

He probably is astounded that the story made the news big time.

Justice for Suzanne.

It still puzzles me what BM did in Broomfield all day. Perhaps he was only there for a couple of hours at the motel.

If the job was his alibi why wouldn’t he have carried through with it? Was he in such a dither that he forgot the tools? Did he spend all day hiding SM in that area?

What was the purpose in saying he ordered bricks and then didn’t? Did he think he was in the clear and no one would investigate it? Just a missing person and nobody would even care.

He probably is astounded that the story made the news big time.

Justice for Suzanne.
How I would love to know the answers to those questions you posed.
I too think he never believed LE would question the narrative: SM went to a bike ride and disappeared while BM was far away. If LE checks he can proof he has a hotel room and was there, so he would be in the clear or so he thought.

IMO

Absolutely, @wishBones1962. I just threw that in there. I should have said “she hit her head on something”.

I didn't even realize I was responding to your post @OldCop . The fireplace conjecture reminded me of a well used story line, but seriously, how often IRL does it actually happen(?)

IMO she DID hit her head on something. Possibly BM's version of reality. MOO

In this case I suspect MG’s instinct is right and she was terminated because she complied with LE in a way BM deemed unhelpful at least.

RSBM

I couldn't agree more. We've all seen how BM reacts (and we've also heard his angry tone when speaking about them) when someone does something he doesn't like. They're meth heads, ex-cons, don't know how to handle potential evidence, or a potential crime scene, or run an investigation, and doing things that appear to help, as a publicity stunt.

Or... fired for cooperating with LE & turning over their phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025