Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #45

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO the PE item found map location if accurate, seems too far from the road and in the brush to have been thrown from a vehicle.
Especially anything lighter like a helmet.
I think any assailant would inuitively avoid flinging an item from a vehicle there, other than a phone, on the chance it would get hung up on the tree or brush in plain view.

Standing at roadside a throwing is plausible.

Maybe he first thought to throw the helmet out because he thought that the mountain lion theory would work and then by Tuesday realized that wasn’t flying so decided to go back and get the helmet and put it near the bike thinking then the abduction theory would work? MOO

FBI agents are seen investigating plot of land owned by Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew's husband | Daily
According to the article by Crime Online the neighbor reported hearing the equipment running on the night of the 9th the day before Suzanne was reported missing. I wish that neighbor had gone out to investigate what exactly was going on over there at that site. Sometimes being a nosey neighbor pays off she might have seen something that could have helped in the search for Suzanne.
Insert - Arrest.

If that witness had seen Barry's truck, or even Barry himself that night. I think we would be in a much different place today in this case.

I can't explain why specifically but the words 'excitement you bring to our marriage' very alarming and strange.

I know somebody well who was in an abusive relationship (no longer thankfully) and she would use word salad to gloss over very hair raising situations she found herself in and that sentence just brought that feeling straight to mind.:oops:

Is that word salad maybe better/realistically ( no rose coloured glasses) described as tumultuous ...turbulent.....explosive.......unpredictable you get the drift.:(

moo

That is an interesting catch Kmac, ITA. What I gather from this statement is; an innocent naive woman who was attracted by the tumultous nature of their marriage. The proverbial; good girls attracted to the bad boys because it brings them a feeling of excitement and danger.

Something else that caught my eye was her repeating I remember at the beginning of a string of sentences in a row. As though, she is trying to both remind BM and remember the good times that are no longer there. In my opinion, it seems Suzanne loved BM more than he loved her. JMO

I've had similar questions, and I think part of the problem is just honestly, sloppy reporting.

The way I understood it, was that BM just left a pile of tools in a hotel laundry cart - random things they didn't even need for the job - and possibly not enough of the right tools needed for the job (that part isn't exactly clear - earlier reports said no tools for the job but I'm thinking it might have been no materials for the job, and that just got mixed up somehow).

According to MG, she's worked with BM for quite some time, and if this stood out to her as bizarre, then that sounds pretty credible to me. She knows what a jobsite with BM looks like, and clearly, this wasn't it, by a long shot.

Then, when they did get to the actual jobsite, the materials they needed to do the job, weren't there and were never delivered. We don't know what tools BM used at the site, just that according to MG, whatever he did there could have been done in less than 30 minutes.

We don't even know if he needed any tools for what he did, because MG didn't elaborate.

jmo

Actually, she couldn't possibly have known him that long unless she also worked for one of his several companies in Indiana.

Part of your premise is that BM has a stable mode of being and a stable personality, but we don't know that. MG can't know that - she doesn't live with him, has only seen him in fairly recent work contexts.

If in fact he has cycles of moodiness or a mood disorder or any number of other things going on (starts things, doesn't finish, does them poorly, gets mad, takes on too much at one time, etc., etc), then perhaps other employees have eventually learned...BM isn't always organized. MG herself may not be a particularly organized person, therefore wouldn't notice right away.

At any rate, I don't think it will be easy to make this point at trial, should it come to that. I guess I'm saying that MG might make a poor witness in future, but that others closer to BM might know him better. The person who knew him best was SM and she's missing.

I of course agree that BM's failure to organize on that particular day is extremely telling, but I do wonder just how often usual things happened around him or because of him. If it's true that his "workers" were people he met casually (and who might not have been able to find lots of other work), he may have initially seemed like a good employer, but for all MG knows (or we know), BM is more erratic than he first appears. I see him as more of a fast talker than as a dedicated, organized businessman - can't say why I think that.

That is an interesting catch Kmac, ITA. What I gather from this statement is; an innocent naive woman who was attracted by the tumultous nature of their marriage. The proverbial; good girls attracted to the bad boys because it brings them a feeling of excitement and danger.

Something else that caught my eye was her repeating I remember at the beginning of a string of sentences in a row. As though, she is trying to both remind BM and remember the good times that are no longer there. In my opinion, it seems Suzanne loved BM more than he loved her. JMO
That was my take on the letters as well. The Valentine's Day card seemed to be more upbeat, but we have no idea when it was written. But both of the letters were almost wistful and carefully cropped to only see part of the notes (I wouldn't be surprised if the notes also included language such as "I know things have been tough lately.... or I feel like we've drifted apart recently..... but I remember when....) Obviously, JMO, MOO.

Maybe he first thought to throw the helmet out because he thought that the mountain lion theory would work and then by Tuesday realized that wasn’t flying so decided to go back and get the helmet and put it near the bike thinking then the abduction theory would work? MOO
I had the same thought way back when it was first found - based on the changing narrative from BM (originally selling the mountain lion story and then pivoting to the abduction story). If that personal item was actually a helmet, I'd also ask how it took several days of searching to find it? There were a lot of searchers out looking in that area for a few days before it was discovered - and it's hard to imagine searchers missing a blue bike helmet if they were anywhere near the area. If that item was a bracelet or something smaller, it's more believable that it could have been missed. And while planting it later would be involve some risk, I don't think throwing out of a moving vehicle under the cover of darkness is really all that risky of a move. JMO, MOO.

I was going back and looking at some photographs of BM and Suzanne together as well as rewatching some videos in particular the TD video with BM and I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that BM doesn't appear to be wearing his wedding ring anymore? If you stop the video at the 45 second mark and zoom in it looks to me like there is a clear indention of where the ring should be. I'm wondering why he would not be wearing his wedding ring anymore? Anyone else think this is odd or am I missing something here?

I totally agree.

We know they vacationed to areas like that prior to moving and here is the thing. Whenever you go on vacation to a certain exotic place that seems wonderful, what you dont realize until you really start to think through things is that the place you are visiting may be wonderful to visit and stay a little while, but its an entirely different thing when actually moving there.

Like going on a nice Florida beach vacation. Its wonderful. But do you really want to live where it is pretty hot most of the time, large flying Palmetto bugs that scare the begeezus out of you, alligators commonly seen in the waters, etc. It becomes an entirely different set of considerations and may not seem so great if you have to live there.

Same for places with large "real mountains" as I call them in Colorado. Huge real mountains with wilderness all around. A relatively cold climate with a short summer season, lots of snowfalls, and so on and so forth. When actually living there, it sometimes is not so welcoming to certain people.

So I do agree that the choice to move there was mainly his and not hers. I think those two years were enough for her there and I suspect she did not enjoy it there anymore. Combine that with whatever may have happened in their relationship, and I feel she wanted out of there.
All JMO of course.

I love your use of the term "real mountains" I haven't heard that term in years, but it's very appropriate.
I personally don't think anyone moves to Colorado for the hunting, and I don't believe that BM has hunted there in recent years. The greatest cause of tragic hunting accidents is other hunters, and Colorado has way too many of those. I used to call it "The Fall Shoot Out". Colorado game is best hunted in the off season, with a camera. I fully believe that BM found the move to Colorado attractive for the hunting opportunities that lie within a day's drive.

The majority of people who move to Colorado do it for employment, or business opportunity. The second most common reason is the attraction to the lifestyle. I think the lifestyle was the attractor for all three women of the "M" family. My guess is that BM saw it as a combo......business opportunity, lifestyle, hunting opportunities and the final factor........the family majority had already swung that way.
IMO

Is there evidence that the bricks weren't ordered? I don't recall that this has been verified.

Whether the order was placed or not might prove to be a critical piece of the puzzle.

No building supplier would deliver to guests at a hotel. They would be delivered to a jobsite, which JP said they never visited. IMO

Actually, she couldn't possibly have known him that long unless she also worked for one of his several companies in Indiana.

Part of your premise is that BM has a stable mode of being and a stable personality, but we don't know that. MG can't know that - she doesn't live with him, has only seen him in fairly recent work contexts.

RSBM

My comment about her working with BM for quite some time and knowing what a normal work context with BM would be, came from her interview with LS.

“He fired me because I gave up my phone, I wasn’t staying quiet and I was complying with CBI,” she said of that interaction. “I feel like if he was innocent, he would have talked to me. I worked with him every day for a long time.”

He was acting really weird about [the beach area], I was like Barry what’s up,” Gentile said. “He seemed stressed. He definitely seemed weird on Saturday.”

“Last minute he changed everything. In fact, he called me that Sunday – Mother’s Day – and was really frantic, really didn’t sound like himself,” Gentile said. “I hung up the phone and I thought he just had the worst night of his life.”

“I’m not the other woman”: Second contractor speaks out about Suzanne Morphew investigation | FOX21 News Colorado

I have no idea how long a "long time" is according to MG, or if she knew him or worked with him before CO, but my point was, the scene in Broomfield was off to her, as was his behavior both Saturday and Sunday, according to her.

Last edited:
I was going back and looking at some photographs of BM and Suzanne together as well as rewatching some videos in particular the TD video with BM and I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that BM doesn't appear to be wearing his wedding ring anymore? If you stop the video at the 45 second mark and zoom in it looks to me like there is a clear indention of where the ring should be. I'm wondering why he would not be wearing his wedding ring anymore? Anyone else think this is odd or am I missing something here?

To be truthful, if he stopped wearing it, I am not surprised.
He may want to appear unattached and carefree now.
Wonder what he did with Suzanne's ring ?
Has it turned up at a pawn shop around there ?
My .02.

This was discussed at length when this video came out, and he's most definitely wearing a wedding band. This screen shot is at :40. You can see the sun's reflection on his ring.

Attachments

• BMring.jpg
    BMring.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 131

To be fair- hubs and I have been married for thirty years. He wore his wedding ring the first year and took it off. It's been in my jewelry box since. He operates heavy equipment and works in the field, doesn't like to wear it. I've never given it a second thought :)

I fully believe that BM found the move to Colorado attractive for the hunting opportunities that lie within a day's drive.
... My guess is that BM saw it as a combo......business opportunity, lifestyle, hunting opportunities and the final factor........the family majority had already swung that way.
IMO

RSBM

For those of us in the seats that don't come with innuendo deciphers, maybe you can make this a little more clear?

I'm very much on the fence regarding MG being involved, I just don't see her volunteering information such as the room stinking of bleach, Barry acting super strange on the job site and sounding like he had the worst night of his life on the phone etc. Surely if she is involved it would be in her best interest to downplay everything and not make any incriminating or damming statements towards Barry who she would clearly not want to get caught if she were involved. Surely she would be saying things like he sounded perfectly normal on the phone and seemed his usual self etc . The only time i could see somebody offering damming information like this would be if they were offered some sort of plea deal.
I can easily see where she may have been involuntarily involved and would panic at the very thought that police could connect her to SM disappearance. I think that the very fact that investigators were questioning her put her into a panic to clear herself.

I can see the wedding ring on left ring finger at 1:29 in the video. The sun catches it a few more times after that as well. I wonder if he’s wearing it now? And his truck is very loud so I can see how MG heard it outside her house. If that’s what happened. IMO

Edit: Ontario Mom already posted about the ring sorry for redundancy. :D

This was discussed at length when this video came out, and he's most definitely wearing a wedding band. This screen shot is at :40. You can see the sun's reflection on his ring.

In @OntarioMom’s photo do ya’ll see a wound of some kind on the side of BM’s right hand near his wrist? Or am I just continuing to see things that aren’t there in the shadows? And his hands may be beat up from landscaping but they look red and swollen IMO. And he seems to be limping unless that’s just how BM walks. And why is he rubbing his wrist? Nervous tick, subconscious self soothing or sore wrist? I’m probably reading too much into it. :rolleyes: This was the day after TD saw him all wet and red chested with his shirt off after coming from the direction of the river. Of course he could have gotten banged up doing all that searching!

In @OntarioMom’s photo do ya’ll see a wound of some kind on the side of BM’s right hand near his wrist? Or am I just continuing to see things that aren’t there in the shadows? And his hands may be beat up from landscaping but they look red and swollen IMO. And he seems to be limping unless that’s just how BM walks. And why is he rubbing his wrist? Nervous tick, subconscious self soothing or sore wrist? I’m probably reading too much into it. :rolleyes: This was the day after TD saw him all wet and red chested with his shirt off after coming from the direction of the river. Of course he could have gotten banged up doing all that searching!
This was about 3 weeks after Suzanne disappeared, so any scratches/cuts would have healed by then.

I imagine he was checked for injuries during his interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member