Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m saddened to learn of Gene Moorman’s passing. Condolences to the Moorman family, my thoughts and prayers are with them.

Though Gene won’t be here on earth to see justice for Suzanne, he’s no longer suffering, which hopefully is somewhat comforting to the family. May he Rest In Peace as he’s reunited with his sweet, precious, beautiful Daughter.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I understand your frustration, @Boxer. However, in high profile cases, some folks mistake transparency for accountability and feel they have a right to know every aspect of an ongoing investigation. The press releases being released periodically by CCSO are addressing accountability. They give information about searches, tips, interviews, agencies involved etc. The fact that they are doing it in writing as opposed to in person seems irksome to you. Because of the distance from Salida to any major metropolitan area, in person press conferences would be barely covered, and frankly, a waste of time. When there is major breaking news in this case, I would expect to see a live press conference. The press isn’t going to drag themselves three hours to hear, “We are still working, we are still doing searches, we are still doing interviews”.
The Gannon Stauch case was a very different case in a town with a population of 668,000 people. The whole of Chaffee County has a population of only 20,000. The town of Maysville is 157 people and Salida has about 6700. The GS case was a horrific crime with a mountain of evidence and a very stupid perpetrator. You had a densely populated area with hundreds, maybe thousands, of video cameras. LS said and did many stupid things all in view of the public. Chaffee County is remote, rugged, and mountainous with many rivers, lakes, and streams. Most areas have no video surveillance systems.
Aside from the fact that the LE information is not being provided in a live press conference, why do you think El Paso county is so much better than Chaffee County in handling investigations? CCSO utilized the FBI, the CBI, have conducted numerous searches throughout the area utilizing SAR teams, divers, canines, and LEO’s on foot and atv, have conducted interviews in CO and IN, have obtained numerous warrants for physical and digital evidence and probably a lot more. I know this because CCSO has provided this information. If they refused to tell us what they are doing, I would be of the same mindset as you. @Boxer. Right now, I’m just not seeing a problem.
As far as transparency, I don’t think one of us here on WS wouldn’t like to get the inside dirt on any investigation. That’s not going to happen until we get a chance to read the AA. Patience, Grasshoppers.
bbm
Agreed.
And a hunter would know which areas were less covered by trail cams.

Although those same cameras would be helpful in deterring people you think are trespassing (who were not), whilst they're trying to search for your wife !
Imo.

On the one hand, it's incredibly sad news for his family and loved ones.

On the other hand, he's been reunited with his daughter.

His suffering is now rejoicing.

Hopefully, his family can find some measure of comfort in that.

JMO.
This also explains why AM has been out of the public eye recently. I’m sure PE knew and that’s why they explained there has been no falling out between he and them.

I understand your frustration, @Boxer. However, in high profile cases, some folks mistake transparency for accountability and feel they have a right to know every aspect of an ongoing investigation. The press releases being released periodically by CCSO are addressing accountability. They give information about searches, tips, interviews, agencies involved etc. The fact that they are doing it in writing as opposed to in person seems irksome to you. Because of the distance from Salida to any major metropolitan area, in person press conferences would be barely covered, and frankly, a waste of time. When there is major breaking news in this case, I would expect to see a live press conference. The press isn’t going to drag themselves three hours to hear, “We are still working, we are still doing searches, we are still doing interviews”.
The Gannon Stauch case was a very different case in a town with a population of 668,000 people. The whole of Chaffee County has a population of only 20,000. The town of Maysville is 157 people and Salida has about 6700. The GS case was a horrific crime with a mountain of evidence and a very stupid perpetrator. You had a densely populated area with hundreds, maybe thousands, of video cameras. LS said and did many stupid things all in view of the public. Chaffee County is remote, rugged, and mountainous with many rivers, lakes, and streams. Most areas have no video surveillance systems.
Aside from the fact that the LE information is not being provided in a live press conference, why do you think El Paso county is so much better than Chaffee County in handling investigations? CCSO utilized the FBI, the CBI, have conducted numerous searches throughout the area utilizing SAR teams, divers, canines, and LEO’s on foot and atv, have conducted interviews in CO and IN, have obtained numerous warrants for physical and digital evidence and probably a lot more. I know this because CCSO has provided this information. If they refused to tell us what they are doing, I would be of the same mindset as you. @Boxer. Right now, I’m just not seeing a problem.
As far as transparency, I don’t think one of us here on WS wouldn’t like to get the inside dirt on any investigation. That’s not going to happen until we get a chance to read the AA. Patience, Grasshoppers.
Excellent post @OldCop Thank you bc I definitely was in need of your calm, common sense, reassuring message today.
Also, with Gannon’s case, LE had 2 very distraught parents standing beside them at the press conferences reminding all who were following the case this was about their precious Gannon. Unfortunately, since BM has the dubious need to hide from the public rather than focus the public’s attention on the missing “love of his life” we don’t see reminders often of the loved ones who are missing SM.
MOO, that’s why Andy was so effective in keeping her name in front of the public.

edited to add MOO.

I agree. Knowing the right questions to ask, as well, knowing where to look and what to look for, that's how breaks are made.

While LE are duty-bound to protect their investigation (for trial!), the Profiling Evil guys aren't! And IMO they're using their expertise and their platform to apply pressure!

Methinks they are intentionally putting someone(s) on notice -- your secrets are not so secret ! Anyone pumping the same iron, now's a good time to come clean.

Mountains don't talk, but eventually people do.

JMO
bbm
ITA.

If it makes someone nervous that's all for the best.
Whether a person related to Suzanne or friends and associates of that person.
Time for a break in this case.

The combination of WhatsApp and the dark web (and probably Voxer) make me think about drugs/drug trafficking. I wonder if that is more on BM’s side as opposed to SM having these apps.

If you were to come forward with information, you’d definitely be concerned about self incrimination regarding selling or using drugs.

I always go back to:

-The former Sherriff of the neighboring county saying this case will be more than a husband/wife murder
-The various local comments about the hills hiding secrets and the general danger of this investigation

ITA, and with the mention of the darkweb it sure leads one to think.

Sad news, her father died this morning
Lauren Scharf (@LaurenScharfTV) on Twitter
It is sad, that her father passed away without ever knowing what happened here on earth, to his daughter. As someone else observed, at least he has been reunited with her - that is - assuming she is deceased; which I am. It would have been nice for him to have had some closure, here.

Honestly, what could the PE guys really be talking about here?

A grainy pic that looks like BM, SM or whoever? Actual names? Salida info?

Actual solicitation to commit a crime - but how do they know it's connected to this case?

I'll leave it alone after this comment.... imo

Hard to believe 6 months have gone by since Suzanne’s disappearance. :(
I can’t imagine what her Daughters and the Moorman family are going through, has to be absolutely heart wrenching, and my heart goes out to them.

As I was re-reading through some of the early SM threads this morning, I came across the following post by our very own @Angleterre. Thought I’d bring it forward as it’s an excellent synopsis (and good reminder), of the kinds of things/LE work involved going on behind the scenes in major investigations such as this case:

“I don’t know if the following post will help my fellow Websleuths members with regards to how a major investigation is run . I have tentatively mentioned this in a previous post but I have had quite a few questions privately in response so I decided to tidy up and expand my previous post ...
Here goes ....

With any major enquiry wether that be a murder / Homicide or a missing person , a dedicated team of detectives is set up with a SIO ( senior investigative officer) as the lead .
Certainly in the UK, a policy book is commenced and everything that you know , everything that subsequently happens, every decision taken and every action followed up, is written into the policy book . Every decision made by the SIO and the justification behind such a decision, has to be written into the policy book .
I was responsible for leading a number of murder investigations and Missing persons investigations and I would lead teams of detectives and forensic experts etc
A twice daily briefing would be held where everyone has an input as to what has happened that day , any evidence found , any witnesses spoken to etc and a summary of the day’s investigation would be written up by the SIO.
Each investigation has a strategy and that strategy is followed from the Murder and Major Crime investigations Manual .
So at the start of the investigation, there will be various strategies drawn up to encompass all of the different strands of the Investigation.
They are :
1.Victim - what do we know ?
2. Suspect - Do we have any?
3. Circumstances of last seen
4. Intelligence - What do we know ? What can we find out?
5. Cell phone analysis
6. Forensics - what do we have ? How are they to be prioritised? Submissions to laboratory and cost?
DNA evidence
Fingerprints
7. Search parameters and recovery of evidence to include continuity of retrieval
8. CCtv - What’s available ? How do we prioritise it?
9. Cell Phones - Victims, Suspect’s, Family etc
10. Family History
11. Actions - those raised that need investigation and those that are considered but not deemed to take the investigation further ( but it still all needs recording )
12. Forensic mapping
13. Witnesses
14. Interviews - suspect/s?
15. Exhibits/Property Officer - to record everything brought into the enquiry and the continuity of that evidence
16. File of evidence - Who will create the file of evidence for submission to CPS/DA
17. Warrants - allocated officer to swear all warrants
18. Disclosure - Officer allocated to start a disclosure record ( court process )
19. Family liaison officer - Officer allocate to be the go between for the family and SIO
20. Media strategy - controlled release of information to press
I could go on but I think that you get the drift that any investigation of this type is massive and takes time and has to be that way to get it right so that by the time it gets to the Court process, there’s no room for doubt or for weaknesses in the investigation to allow the accused to get off on a technicality or procedural issue .
Then if there is a suspect you need to start thinking of who will do the suspect interview and the downstream monitoring and alibi checks .
And on top of all that, the biggest and most onerous task besides cell phone evidence retrieval, is CCTV ! And that is a biggie ... it takes Detectives hours upon hours to go through and watch CCTV to enable them to ascertain if there is anything of evidential value on each individual recording and that can be CCTV from the street , from a shop, car park, toll booth , buildings, churches , Public CCTV along a route and individual CCTV in peoples driveways or on their mobile phones etc
You start to get the idea of just how much work is involved in a major investigation and that’s before you go to a judge to swear out warrants and arrest the perpetrator. Once an arrest takes place, you then have interviews and downstream monitoring in real time of the interviews and then liaison with the CPS in UK and DA/attorney general I think maybe in the USA? And then putting the whole file of evidence together and ensuring full disclosure to the defence ... it’s massive workloads and it goes on and on ...
Cell phone data is also massive because of pings of location and subsequent searches and data dumps of all cell phones active within a specific MAST area and tracing who those numbers belong to and ascertain what they were doing in the area. And I can tell you that the evidence from one cell phone alone can run into thousands of pages for my detectives to read through and decipher what, If anything, is relevant to the case . So can you imagine when you have numerous people involved in an investigation, wether it to be rule them in or out or as an alibi or a victim, just how onerous this task is? And it is just one small part of the investigation.

Also the CCTV , people ask why now , 1 month later ? Well you don’t know what evidence that LE already have and if they had nothing else then the individual private residence CCTV would have been done immediately but it is a massive task and takes officers hours and hours to sit and watch every piece of CCTV that comes into the enquiry so it’s now easier to say , keep hold of your own individual residential CCTV and if you think that you have something of importance then let us know immediately otherwise we will get round to looking at it when we can because EVERYTHING has to be prioritised.

In the UK we have HOLMES ( home office Major enquires system ) and everything is entered into the system and looked at by three officers working with admin staff and any actions deemed necessary as a result of those 3 officers painstakingly going through every piece of information, item, cell phone number, cctv , search recovery evidence etc and allocating actions ( work ) to officers to compete before they are given another action . And some officers are individually given specific roles for example CCTV, Cell phones, Intelligence, Statement takers , Family liaison .

So this gives you an idea of just what is going on behind the scenes .
And the information released has to be protected and provenanced to ensure accuracy and the SIO doesn’t want information released unless absolutely necessary because the perpetrator may slip up and say something that hasn’t yet been released to the public and that then becomes dynamite to the investigation.
I hope this helps you all to understand the process , procedures and time for any major investigation to bear fruit .

Regarding technology- People do not realise just how much electronic tracking there is in our everyday lives and the footprint that we leave . Let’s take for example the obvious ones like public CCTV and residential / business CCTV and street CCTV , shop and bank and fuel CCTV, road surveillance CCTV to monitor traffic flow and speed camera CCTV etc The list is endless! Then there are tracking devices on the car if there is one , then there is the cell phone and text message/social media footprints alongside Pings
But - there are some footprints that we either don’t think about or are not aware of for example I own a luxury ( ish ) brand of car and I don’t have a key , I have a black plastic fob that I carry around which activates the car but without inserting it anywhere within my car console. Now when my car has a problem and I go to the dealership, this fob is inserted into their computer and it tell you every journey I have made and the status of the car throughout that journey, if the fuels low , if the seatbelt warning is activated, if any warning lights come on , if tyre pressure is low etc
I was gobsmacked just how much information that could be obtained and to be quite honest, I am a law abiding citizen but it scared even me , just how much we are being monitored. Then there is ANPR both mobile and static and lets not forget that it’s not only your cell phone that can be pinged and calls traced but LE can go to any mast and triangulate all mobile cell phones that ping off a particular mast at a given time and they can cross reference the data from this to any of the contacts in your phone and see if there are any patterns . So just from this you can start to see how many avenues are open for LE to look at. And then we have instagram and Facebook and WhatsApp and snapchat and Twitter and email and fit bits and apple watches and you start to get my drift .....
Edited to add: We have family Life 360 so that we can see where our children are and vice versa and my DH decided to turn his location permissions off
BUT although it does not now tell me his location in words, it does show him driving down the various roads and highways when he’s out and about. So another form of surveillance and if somebody was going to commit a heinous crime, they cannot possibly erase all their electronic footprints

Then we have Amazon Alexa and Smart devices ...
The list is endless!“

Hoping Suzanne is found soon!!

IMO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Just. Wow! :thud:

When I think of the dark web, I think of snuff films, swingers, and the list goes much darker.... imo

IMO, putting something like the dark web out there for interpretation, dangling a carrot is a little.....nevermind.

I don’t really care who dangles what if it can help find SUZANNE and/or bring her killer to justice.

IMO

Excellent post @OldCop Thank you bc I definitely was in need of your calm, common sense, reassuring message today.
Also, with Gannon’s case, LE had 2 very distraught parents standing beside them at the press conferences reminding all who were following the case this was about their precious Gannon. Unfortunately, since BM has the dubious need to hide from the public rather than focus the public’s attention on the missing “love of his life” we don’t see reminders often of the loved ones who are missing SM.
MOO, that’s why Andy was so effective in keeping her name in front of the public.

edited to add MOO.
ITA. BM would not show his face on camera. He would not even allow his name to be mentioned in the first couple of days. Remember when he was referred to as “The Husband” in TN’s early press releases? His 26 second FB plea a week after his wife’s disappearance was meant to reach as few people as possible. MOO

Although Mr. Moorman passed without finding out what happened to his daughter, I believe he did recently have a conversation with one or both of his granddaughters thanks to his son, AM.
He also had the peace of mind knowing that AM will continue the fight to find justice for SM.
R.I.P., Mr. Moorman.

So if they did not have Suzanne's phone, messages she exchanged could not be retrieved from any of the providers LE listed on the press release?
I'm not sure whether all of them use end-to-end encryption by default. But if it was used, then the provider would only be able to store and retrieve the encrypted version of the message. And that wouldn't do LE much good since you can't decrypt it without the key (which only the recipient has). They could get the decrypted messages from the recipients however, and the providers might very well have records of who she sent messages to.

I'm not sure whether all of them use end-to-end encryption by default. But if it was used, then the provider would only be able to store and retrieve the encrypted version of the message. And that wouldn't do LE much good since you can't decrypt it without the key (which only the recipient has). They could get the decrypted messages from the recipients however, and the providers might very well have records of who she sent messages to.

And when messaging ceased.

Thank you so much for this post, it really helps people understand how it all comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste