Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a head scratcher. According to the Daily Mail article, she was last heard from on May 9. Her daughters became concerned on May 10 when they couldn't reach her for Mother's Day. So why would anyone assume that she went on a bike ride? Unless she told someone on the 9th that she was planning on riding the next day.
Apparently it was her habit to go on a bike ride every Sunday morning before church. [according to a statement by the local fire chief]

There seems to be so much confusion in this case regarding the basic facts.

I don't think LE is confused. The public will remain confused, as often occurs, because anyone not directly involved in the investigation or involved in the case is not going to be told what all is happening. It's the burden of being a case follower, aka just a member of the public.

There seems to be so much confusion in this case regarding the basic facts.

Most of the coverage of this case has been by the Daily Mail, The Sun, Inside Edition, the family's FB site - 'Find SM', the husband's plea (oddly not released in coordination with LE), Nancy Grace, us here at WS and a small blurb by Dateline.

There is a notable lack of traditional MSM coverage, ABC, NBS, CBS Denver affiliates, Denver newspapers, Chaffee County Sheriff press conferences etc.

I still can't figure out how information her bike came out and what was the source. Why wasn't the family's reward coordinated with LE or Crimestoppers? Why wasn't LE involved with BM's plea for his wife's return? Why isn't the Sheriff holding press conferences taking questions from reporters? Was she seen on her bike 5/10 or not? No source seems to want to verify any of this basic information.

I guess, I just need to ask why?

The only answer I can come up with is that keeping this information away from the public is helping LE investigate/solve/and find SM. I hope she is still alive and they're trying to bring her home safely.

Admittedly, I've not yet been able to catch up on this thread (yet), so maybe it's here, but I haven't run across it.

JMO, MOO

You've asked a lot of really good questions.

The answers to those questions haven't been spelled out here, because they can't be yet.

I do think if you read the prior threads, you'll be able to read between the lines, and glean the answers to most, if not all, of the questions you've posed above.

Obviously, as soon as LE announces they have a POI/Suspect, or that they've made an arrest, the floodgates will be opened.

JMO.

Last edited:
Quite a way back in the thread, I posted a series of cell maps showing 100% of the coverage on the east side of Monarch Pass. This time, I'm just posting the Verizon engineering map of their coverage, from a single cell of a single one of their towers. That's it, there is no more. The little red, green and other color squares follow US Highway 50 up the pass. Each of those little squares is a test call by a consumer. Green is good, red is bad. Verizon is the ONLY carrier that has been reported to have minimal reception all the way up the east side of Monarch on Highway 50. That faint blue pattern is it where Verizon engineers designed coverage. I've placed a red star where SM's house is. Her neighbor's house is between hers and the highway, which coincidentally is not within the blue lines of Verizon engineered coverage. The bottom line is that SM, her entire family, and anyone wandering by had "iffy" or "spotty" service with lots of risk of dropped calls.
I don't expect that anyone pays the money to live up there on Monarch Pass so that they can be on the cell phone all day. I would actually be surprised if their cell phones are "on" much. If you know you are in a dead spot, why waste the battery? JMO
Cellular Tower and Signal Map
Note: The link is provided to the general website where this information is found, but the site itself warns that it is an engineering site and is not easily navigated. I have not altered the drawing in any way, except to drop a red star at the location of her home.

Attachments

• Verizon_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    Verizon_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I don't think LE is confused. The public will remain confused, as often occurs, because anyone not directly involved in the investigation or involved in the case is not going to be told what all is happening. It's the burden of being a case follower, aka just a member of the public.
I don't feel LE is at all confused. LE knows exactly what they're doing.

IMO LE is playing this very close to the vest and not releasing much information.

Last edited:
It's not my thing either and I grew up with it :p

I guess my main point is that I don't automatically see it as evidence he was dominating.

I grew up with it too. So I see it as being "out of step with the times."

My dad wouldn't have such things, but my uncle's best friend was a taxidermist and so was the man 3 houses down. Neither of these men were domineering. Just an observation.

Yeah I don’t know what to believe, one minute I’m off the fence and the next minute I’m hopping back on. It’s the lack of information.

That would be painful, what with the splinters of fence sitting and all. ;)

I wait to see or hear about the evidence before I determine anyone's culpability. I do note where an investigation is headed based on LE's actions. It's clear LE is considering there was never a bike ride in the first place and that's a reasonable suspicion.

I don't feel LE is at all confused. They know what they're doing.

IMO LE is playing this very close to the vest and not releasing much information.

As if they already have a strong, slam-dunk case and now want to go through procedures, by the book, with multiple opinions, maybe more than one lab.

To build a completely unassailable case. It's as if the only issues they think they're facing are legal ones, not evidentiary ones.

Agreed. LE in general in the vast majority of cases never releases much information -- only as much as they absolutely need to in order to get what they need in the way of info and/or tips. Assuaging a curious public is not part of the equation. IF the public is or could be in danger, then local LE will say something about that, but outside of that and asking for info or tips, it's essentially crickets.

Agreed. LE in general in the vast majority of cases never releases much information -- only as much as they absolutely need to in order to get what they need in the way of info and/or tips. Assuaging a curious public is not part of the equation. IF the public is or could be in danger, then local LE will say something about that, but outside of that and asking for info or tips, it's essentially crickets.
I think there will be even less LE information than usual because of these Covid19 times we are living in....moo

I think there will be even less LE information than usual because of these Covid19 times we are living in....moo
I'm not sure how covid-19 would impact the ability to communicate. The procedures for investigating a case are well-established by LE jurisdictions. Those procedures cover things like who gets contacted, which agencies get notified, protocol for evidence collection and all the boring bits of flotsam. Keeping the curious updated beyond the very basics of "we're still looking for...." is not going to happen covid-19 or not.

In addition, all the questions people list, and there are some really good ones, are not going to get answered by LE *unless* it's something they feel won't jeopardize their investigation.

I'm not sure how covid-19 would impact the ability to communicate. The procedures for investigating a case are well-established by LE jurisdictions. Those procedures cover things like who gets contacted, which agencies get notified, protocol for evidence collection and all the boring bits of flotsam. Keeping the curious updated beyond the very basics of "still looking for...." is not going to happen covid-19 or not.
I disagree....... Covid19 will be a valid reason not to have to do LE Press Conferences.....Now we wait and see what happens next........moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BOTTERB