Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first real quotable material from SM’s side. Interesting that TN is BM’s nephew and that they don’t know him. They reportedly also don’t know where the girls are? Had she been estranged from her family? Father supposedly lives in Michigan?

“I think it was sort of a step toward retirement,” the family member said. Suzanne mention to the relative she was happy that another family member, Barry’s newphew Trevor Noel, lived in the state.

Early in the investigation, Trevor Noel identified himself as the family spokesperson, but has stopped responding to media inquiries. A Facebook page he launched to collect and share information about the search for Suzanne has not been updated in over a week. He also launched a ******** campaign to raise money for a volunteer search effort. The crowdfunding campaign has raised over $30,000 dollars, and Barry Morphew’s mother was listed as the beneficiary in recent days.

Suzanne’s relative said they did not know Trevor Noel, and was not sure why Barry Morphew’s mother was the recipient of the ******** donatons, though they did note that the fundraiser may be supplementing travel and housing costs for relatives who traveled to central Colorado.

“I have a feeling someone told him not to talk,” the relative said about Trevor Noel’s recent silence. During the first week of the investigation, Noel told local media outlets that police had recovered Suzanne Morphew’s bike, and Suzanne’s relative believes police did not want that information leaked.

EK ‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

It would help to know who the anonymous family member is. Is it Suzanne's sister or a third cousin twice removed? o_O

‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

May 25, 2020

A relative of missing Colorado woman Suzanne Morphew says Suzanne’s family members have very little information to go on, as investigators concluded a three-day search of a residential property not far from Suzanne’s Maysville home on Sunday without finding any evidence connected to the case.

[..]

The relative said that some of Suzanne’s family members, including at least one of Suzanne’s siblings and Barry Morphew’s mother — who Suzanne is reportedly close to — traveled to the area after Suzanne was reported missing. Suzanne’s own mother died of cancer years ago, and her father is believed to be living in Michigan. The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation.

“I think they are being protected,” the source said.

[..]

Suzanne’s relative said they did not know Trevor Noel, and was not sure why Barry Morphew’s mother was the recipient of the donatons, though they did note that the fundraiser may be supplementing travel and housing costs for relatives who traveled to central Colorado.

“I have a feeling someone told him not to talk,” the relative said about Trevor Noel’s recent silence. During the first week of the investigation, Noel told local media outlets that police had recovered Suzanne Morphew’s bike, and Suzanne’s relative believes police did not want that information leaked.

The source said that Suzanne’s family has received very little specific information about the investigation. Of the relatives who are in central Colorado, “if they are told not to say anything, they don’t,” the relative said.

[..]

“We are as much in the dark as anyone else, because they don’t want information getting out there that might hurt the case. It’s hard to wait and watch and wonder what’s happening,” they said, adding that the situation was “surreal” for Suzanne’s family members.

The relative said they have doubts about whether Suzanne actually went for a bike ride on May 10, as her neighbor reportedly told police. The source said they believed Suzanne’s daughters asked the neighbor to check and see if their mother’s bike was at the home.

[..]

“Barry always seemed to be a good guy and a supportive husband,” the relative said. “I’d be surprised if anything happened. But sometimes we don’t know people as well as we think we do.”

Maybe LE told SM’s family not to talk. If there’s a history of domestic violence they’d likely know about it.
Understanding statistics isn’t tunnel vision.
Edit: After posting I see the article that her relatives are there and are talking as much as they feel that they are allowed.
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

Response to Alethea:
“I agree. I still find it odd, even disturbing that no “friends” and members of her “family” are saying anything. It seems like to me that she was not very close to anyone - judging by the silence. I’m not saying lots of people didn’t love her and care about her, but that they weren’t close enough to her that they feel comfortable voicing opinions in the situation. I have close friends, whom I talk to often, that I’d be posting and doing everything I could to help find and others I just wouldn’t feel comfortable getting involved. It bothers me, especially with BM saying “We will do whatever it takes” but I haven’t heard about him DOING anything other than pacing and riding around. Why not hire an investigator, fund more search parties etc ... I would be less likely to believe he’s involved if I saw him actively involved trying to locate his wife. JMO and speculations.

I agree. I still find it odd, even disturbing that no “friends” and members of her “family” are saying anything. It seems like to me that she was not very close to anyone - judging by the silence. I’m not saying lots of people didn’t love her and care about her, but that they weren’t close enough to her that they feel comfortable voicing opinions in the situation. I have close friends, whom I talk to often, that I’d be posting and doing everything I could to help find and others I just wouldn’t feel comfortable getting involved. It bothers me, especially with BM saying “We will do whatever it takes” but I haven’t heard about him DOING anything other than pacing and riding around. Why not hire an investigator, fund more search parties etc ... I would be less likely to believe he’s involved if I saw him actively involved trying to locate his wife. JMO and speculations.
Agreed!

Spezze runs for re-election as sheriff
Sheriff Spezze has a very impressive background and 37 years of experience. There is a comment in the article related to releasing information to the public/media. He might just always run his investigations this way. <modsnip: There is nothing in MSM to indicate that drugs are involved in this case.>
Thanks for postingLilypad13. I think you're right, Spezze has always kept a tight rein to protect his investigations. I noted he spent many years in undercover and corruption. Loose lips in the undercover world, could cause an officer to lose his life. Spezze knows how to conduct an investigation, no doubt about it!!

Snipped from link-
What will your policy be in releasing information to the public?
I have consistently released all information to the media and public that is legal to release and does not jeopardize an open and ongoing investigation.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office has a media policy for its employees that encourages them to be open with the public and media when they can safely address questions asked of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the "center" of an investigation? And where did the sheriff say "the investigation was going to start at the center"? And what does "work diligently outward" mean?
a. I'm not familiar with that phrasing.
b. To all appearances, LE has been "gathering facts" by doing searches, etc., so how do you get to "bogged down"?
c. Sources?

"Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze stated that it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance."

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Sheriff Says Search Warrant Is Sealed

The only source that stated Suzanne WAS seen on a bike ride was Nancy Grace. The reporter stated the neighbor did see her riding her bike.

So there are two conflicting reports from two sources which imo, are not necessarily reliable. Neither reporter verified that they spoke to the neighbor, in fact the DM said she declined to comment.

So at this point I don't think we know for sure. I'm still waiting for either LE or the neighbor herself to clarify. It could be a long wait.

It would be great if a reporter would ask that question at the next PC.

Imo
This case is turning me into a gambler! I’m willing to bet there was NO bike ride. I’ll wager my mortgage. Oh, I don’t have one, so it’s kinda like offering a $100,000 reward for SM’s safe return when you know that isn’t going to happen! Hey BM, How about changing that to $100,000 for finding her, dead or alive, no questions asked. Maybe then someone would step forward? All JMT’s.

I truly believe that SM's family knows where this is headed and thus isn't pleading for her "safe return" as they likely don't believe this was some random abductor that popped out and grabbed her in plain sight. it would be MUCH easier to grab her from her yard imo.

Based on maps and the terrain and foliage I also really do not believe any neighbor could have witnessed her leaving on a bike ride unless they were driving by. The likelihood is slim that she was actually seen that day imo and the interviewee on NG got some idea twisted.

I'm also wondering when exactly the house was cordoned off and then searched- iirc the article came out about week after her missing report but stated something like May 13- 3 days after the SAR efforts. Does anyone understand the discrepancy between the may 13 and may 18 dates?

I think with CBI and FBI involved, there's a lot less room to have "tunnel vision" and given the way the investigation has gone thus far its clear they have more evidence we have no knowledge of... they're trying so hard to keep the public in the dark, which admittedly is better for the integrity of the investigation. It's clear by their actions though that BM is indeed a POI but they will never say it imo until he has been arrested. This happens in a lot of cases which happens to make the forums on Websleuths a wee bit tricky to navigate with TOS, we've dealt with it time and time again.

Yep 2 weeks ago today and we know only of the 911 call which has not been released
JMO
Eta and the personal item found as reported
When do they usually release a 911 call? Is it after an arrest? I would love to hear it and I’m sure it would answer the question being asked - did neighbor say she saw her on a bike ride?

Edit: After posting I see the article that her relatives are there and are talking as much as they feel that they are allowed.

Response to Alethea:
“I agree. I still find it odd, even disturbing that no “friends” and members of her “family” are saying anything. It seems like to me that she was not very close to anyone - judging by the silence. I’m not saying lots of people didn’t love her and care about her, but that they weren’t close enough to her that they feel comfortable voicing opinions in the situation. I have close friends, whom I talk to often, that I’d be posting and doing everything I could to help find and others I just wouldn’t feel comfortable getting involved. It bothers me, especially with BM saying “We will do whatever it takes” but I haven’t heard about him DOING anything other than pacing and riding around. Why not hire an investigator, fund more search parties etc ... I would be less likely to believe he’s involved if I saw him actively involved trying to locate his wife. JMO and speculations.

Yeah definitely. IMO it points to one thing, that no one thinks this was a random abduction. There was a recent case on Long Island where a young mother was killed and it was SILENT for a few weeks. Everyone asking where her family and friends were. Her ex was arrested and then everyone came out with the stories of DV. I’m not saying that happened here but people close to SM may be concerned about “speaking out of line”. But you’re right, usually you see at least a couple of friends making yard signs and drumming up coverage in the local press.

It has been reported that the neighbor did not see Suzanne that day. Her husband was two hours away. It leaves open the question where was she? It has also been reported that Morphew was on some kind of fire fighting training course, a claim the fire chief disputed. Moderator this is my first post. If these are not approved link sources or I violate any rules please let me know.
Mystery deepens over missing mom Suzanne Morphew-- as cops search her house and neighbors say NO ONE actually saw her on a bike ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

It would help to know who the anonymous family member is. Is it Suzanne's sister or a third cousin twice removed? o_O
Right on! The obviously well-vetted article seems to indicate that the family member is not at all familiar with BLM or the two MM's, so is this insider information or opinions of a person with common DNA to the missing person? IMO

I'd go so far as to say that it's a fact that NG's podcasts consistently do not translate accurately to print media!

For example, NG stating the neighbor saw SM leave on her bike followed with the disclaimer "if it's true" --takes on a completely different meaning when the disclaimer is accidentally omitted in print media.

We most recently saw the exact same thing occur when NG said the bike was found on the bridge but this was also misrepresented as a statement of fact when her disclaimer was omitted.

I believe the best evidence that SM was never seen on her bike by the neighbor that reported her missing is the Missing Person press release dated May 11, 2020 by Chaffee County Sheriff's Office.

The press release provides that the reporting party contacted CCSO at about 5:46 pm to report that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home.

Neither the neighbor or CCSO ever reported that SM was seen on her bike. In fact, CCSO has never confirmed a bike ride took place or that the bike was recovered.

Fast forward 10+ days from the date SM was reported missing and the step-mother of one of the daughter's friends has also confirmed that sadly, nobody ever saw SM on her bike on Mother's Day.

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle’: Questions persist amid changing reports on the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s Mother’s Day disappearance
I think the Sheriff’s actions clarified what he thought happened by what he did almost immediately after completing external search ... warrant for home, search BM’s job site. I’m no expert but that screams what he believes to have happened ... especially since BM is such a fine, upstanding citizen and volunteer in the community, I think he must have had a VERY strong suspicion about what happened based on what he found early on ...BUT, he could have said, “Hey Barry, we need to search the house and your job sites, we’ve got to get you ruled out, son. It’s not personal, and if we don’t, the media and public will never let you have a day of peace.” So BM agreed to everything quickly.
Just speculation on my part.

Maybe LE asked family not to comment because it could muddy the waters. If the family feels confident in LE ability they may just want to let them do their jobs and they somehow know the public cannot help. Like.... they know she wasn’t out on a bike ride... therefore no one saw her. Hopefully the family & LE have a good relationship.
I’ve been thinking about this, too. I also suspect LE doesn’t want anyone saying anything that could inspire people to go out on searches that LE knows would be fruitless, thus avoiding needless expense, possible injuries to searchers, etc.

I'm thinking it's weird that the girls had the neighbor's number. Unless SM had shared it with them due to her health problems. Presumably they would have called their father first, but why would he have the number? Why wouldn't he have called one of his fire fighter buddies, just in case there was a health concern?

I can't think of a time in my life when any of my relatives knew the number of my neighbors.
Hi! I grew up in Chaffee County and it’s a rural county. We have our neighbors’ phone numbers and have had them for years. As an aside, I’ve lived around the country for most of my adult life and still have the phone number of my last neighbor in the last state I lived in, which I gave to relatives and made sure he had the numbers of my relatives, too. He’s a buddy, now, even though I’ve moved.

But out in rural areas, especially, you need to know who your neighbors are and how to contact them for emergencies and to check on things. We’ve done that a few times — called a neighbor while away to check on something — and we’ve done it for neighbors who called us to check on something.

But you have a good point—why wouldn’t BM contact a firefighter colleague rather than a neighbor to do a welfare check? After all, that colleague would know what to do in a variety of situations. I’ve been wondering this for a while.

I can tell you, my family, tiny as it is and not big talkers, would not be silent. And if it were my loved one I would not be silent. I would be out there every day looking, researching and on the dang tv all day long. LE would hear from me every single day..every day.

Just weird.

I think it’s most reasonable to assume that the daughters called dad first. Maybe dad passed on the neighbor’s number.

If the daughters didn’t call dad first, I’d find that very curious.
I feel the opposite. They may have reasoned that the neighbor could get there more quickly, and perhaps put their minds at ease, without their having to alarm their dad. It’s would I would have done in their situation - try to resolve things without freaking out another relative.

Another possibility is that Dad was out of reach for some reason. We don’t know where he was or if he told everyone he would not be reachable (if he didn’t wish to be disturbed).

Maybe LE told SM’s family not to talk. If there’s a history of domestic violence they’d likely know about it.

Understanding statistics isn’t tunnel vision.
bbm
Great post.

A person who can beat is capable of killing someone.
Esp. if the victim threatens to speak out ?

From the beginning of this investigation, LE classified it as an open criminal investigation.
I think they had reason to fear she was dead from the beginning.

And the dismantling of the concrete seemed very specific !
They wouldn't do that on a whim, or the gossip of one of Barry's very close buddies.
Imo.

Last edited:
It has been reported that the neighbor did not see Suzanne that day. Her husband was two hours away. It leaves open the question where was she? It has also been reported that Morphew was on some kind of fire fighting training course, a claim the fire chief disputed. Moderator this is my first post. If these are not approved link sources or I violate any rules please let me know.
Mystery deepens over missing mom Suzanne Morphew-- as cops search her house and neighbors say NO ONE actually saw her on a bike ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew
The report that the neighbor did not see her that day is from a news single source, in direct quotes from only ONE of the of the 5.7 million residents of Colorado, who is NOT one of the 135 residents of Maysville, or one of the 20,356 population of Chaffee county. Just sayin'. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487