Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Sheriff’s actions clarified what he thought happened by what he did almost immediately after completing external search ... warrant for home, search BM’s job site. I’m no expert but that screams what he believes to have happened ... especially since BM is such a fine, upstanding citizen and volunteer in the community, I think he must have had a VERY strong suspicion about what happened based on what he found early on ...BUT, he could have said, “Hey Barry, we need to search the house and your job sites, we’ve got to get you ruled out, son. It’s not personal, and if we don’t, the media and public will never let you have a day of peace.” So BM agreed to everything quickly.
Just speculation on my part.

Yeah - I can see that. But the spot they dug up in that slab is so specific. Still, it could be based on a minor displacement of soil seen on GDR and have been an exploration way on the side of caution, as you say. Since BLM is likely unable to prove exactly where he was all day on Sunday (or Saturday) and we have that "last contact with Suzanne" on May 9 (probably via text), he is naturally a suspect. Statistically, he's a POI. And they are clearly treating him as same.

BTW, someone somewhere has told Fire Chief that Suzanne usually goes on a bike ride on Sunday mornings (we have no verification of this from the daughters, who are in a better position to know). We have family "spokesperson" (no longer in that role) saying it was found in a particular place. We have the Fire Chief mentioning a ravine (I don't believe anyone regarding the placement of the bike until LE says where exactly it was found and who found it).

At the same time, I find it hard to believe that someone as experienced as Spezze would go for a warrant to cut up someone's concrete foundation pour...without strong suspicion and other evidence to convince a judge.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I’m still confused about the money! Thank you to everyone who posted that they don’t have a mortgage. That’s really interesting to me - mortgage rates are so low most people with investments would take the mortgage anyway so they have access to their wealth and it’s not tied up in a house. If you can get a better return than the 3% you pay in mortgage interest (which is often tax deductible), it makes sense to not sink that much cash down. I completely understand wanting to own your home free and clear (I’m one of those people - I hate debt!) but that’s a lot of cash for people who don’t seem to have the business to support it?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ This is similar to what I was speculating before. I feel there is something bigger going on. I work with kids in communities that deal with a lot of gang violence and association, and when there is a crime committed involving any kind of underground illegal activity, people are QUIET. Family does not want to be involved, out of fear of further crime and retaliation on them, and law enforcement tends to tread lightly. I still feel so much silence surrounding case (including family) and BM jumping to comments in plea video referring to someone who may have her and not wanting to work with LE for that video points to the possibility of something bigger. I think the lack of evidence at the new site (exposed by LE... doesn’t mean it wasn’t found) also creates the possibility of something different than the spouse being responsible. The other thing is that if this is in fact a bigger thing involving business, BM would certainly still feel guilty and responsible for his wife’s disappearance if it were tied to business dealings. JMO Remembering the private investigator that was quoted below:

(Investigator explains FBI's involvement in Chaffee County missing woman case - KRDO)
Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

While investigators have found "what's believed to be a personal item" belonging to Morphew, they haven't said what the item is.

"They want to maintain the integrity of this case. They want to make sure there are no leaks in the case especially if they have some suspicion of a person who may be involved, like a person of interest," Corsentino said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.
So they cracked open someone’s garage pad just to make the “real” criminals think they believed that BM was the perpetrator???
I have to respectfully disagree, I’ve read about too many murderers who try to make police believe that a missing person is a form of “retribution.”
Even in my hometown, a guy murdered his wife and when he realized police were looking at him, he staged his own “fake” kidnapping trying to prove he was innocent. He got life for burying his wife in a 6ft deep grave while she was still alive.
In my opinion, it’s a scenario that murderers think will work to distract police from their own involvement.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>I had the idea this particular volunteer fire-person was a newbie, but wasn't sure how to go about articulating.
Sometimes volunteer fire departments have half the town as volunteers. This is about neighborliness, not necessarily experience. Maybe the Morphew's area is like this, where "everyone" is associated with the fire department.
From my experience also:
Wildlife firefighting and SAR are life and death activities. You're not "experienced" or really "legit" until you've had a VAST amount of experience, from a layman's point of view. Plus, those teams are highly stratified, as far as I know. Until you've been out there ALOT your job is to follow instructions, and they are very unlikely to be glamorous.
Also, there's no information that BM has a whole lot of any experience in the outdoors of the kind we see in Colorado. This is not something you get from a season or two in the area or from going hunting for the day with your buddies. You don't get this experience in Indiana. You don't get it from a map. It's the kind of thing where it takes lore handed down from very experienced folks to get you up to snuff, a prodigious number of skills (and sometimes training like Wilderness First Responder), and you have to have been through a fair number of inadvertent stressful experiences in the backcountry.
We're not talking "weekend warriors" in any of this. Sometimes enthusiasts are labeled "experienced" when they pretty much only have a pinky toe in the activity. I often cringe when SAR goes out after an "experienced" hiker who was inappropriately dressed, in threatening weather, and with inappropriate supplies, out for a "quick hike".

Yeah - I can see that. But the spot they dug up in that slab is so specific. Still, it could be based on a minor displacement of soil seen on GDR and have been an exploration way on the side of caution, as you say. Since BLM is likely unable to prove exactly where he was all day on Sunday (or Saturday) and we have that "last contact with Suzanne" on May 9 (probably via text), he is naturally a suspect. Statistically, he's a POI. And they are clearly treating him as same.

BTW, someone somewhere has told Fire Chief that Suzanne usually goes on a bike ride on Sunday mornings (we have no verification of this from the daughters, who are in a better position to know). We have family "spokesperson" (no longer in that role) saying it was found in a particular place. We have the Fire Chief mentioning a ravine (I don't believe anyone regarding the placement of the bike until LE says where exactly it was found and who found it).

At the same time, I find it hard to believe that someone as experienced as Spezze would go for a warrant to cut up someone's concrete foundation pour...without strong suspicion and other evidence to convince a judge.

If BLM was at a hotel his whereabouts will be easy to establish.
Actually anywhere in Denver as cameras are everywhere.

bbm
Exactly.
And it's possible that Suzanne kept notes or an online 'diary' of sorts; and that LE have read it.
What may emerge from this investigation might horrify us !
Imo
If someone were being abused, physically or mentally, two bouts of cancer might make them decide to opt out of the relationship if it wasn't a healthy one. I have a friend who got a divorce after 30 years of marriage to an abusive husband. She told me that what finally pushed her to act was that he still demanded that she wait on him and cook for him when she was going through chemo.
If the marriage was in trouble I do hope that she confided in someone, friend or relative. Often, when the decision to leave is made, that is when one opens up to others and stops keeping secrets. MOO

Hi! I grew up in Chaffee County and it’s a rural county. We have our neighbors’ phone numbers and have had them for years. As an aside, I’ve lived around the country for most of my adult life and still have the phone number of my last neighbor in the last state I lived in, which I gave to relatives and made sure he had the numbers of my relatives, too. He’s a buddy, now, even though I’ve moved.

But out in rural areas, especially, you need to know who your neighbors are and how to contact them for emergencies and to check on things. We’ve done that a few times — called a neighbor while away to check on something — and we’ve done it for neighbors who called us to check on something.

But you have a good point—why wouldn’t BM contact a firefighter colleague rather than a neighbor to do a welfare check? After all, that colleague would know what to do in a variety of situations. I’ve been wondering this for a while.
IMO BM probably planted the "bike ride" in the calls to/from his daughters, to be repeated to the neighbor, plant a seed so to speak. Then, IMO, the neighbor looked for the bike, didn't see it in the garage or porch or wherever, and that's how the "she was on a bike ride" theme emerged. (IMO)

Aren't all firefighters trained as EMTs, if not paramedics?
I wonder who discovered the bike by/on the bridge, tree, ravine, wherever it really was.

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

And yes, I think the husband was keeping Suzanne on the move so as to hide god knows what.

An immediate offer of money with "...no questions asked...", and a carefully scripted infomercial to make it sound like she abandoned her own children...

I posted this in the last thread but that business of "release her to us and that's it, no questions asked..." -- doesn't sit well with me, and probably very few others.
Another man said this and it sounded as creepy then as it does now.

Of course there'll be questions !
Doesn't the husband worry that with no questions asked, another lady could be abducted ?
Imo.
Also, aren’t most rewards offered for “information leading to the arrest and conviction of...”? I mean, BM’s offer was weak. You’d want to rattle all the bushes for info, right?

My kids would never call the neighbor, they would call their other parent. Maybe Dad told them to call the neighbor? I would have thought Dad would then call the neighbor. Unless they couldn’t get in touch with Dad, or something was “up” that caused them to choose the neighbor over Dad if Mom was missing.
Well that's what I was really wondering. Perhaps the mother told the kids to contact the neighbor, and not the father if she went missing. IMO IMO IMO.

I know personally of a few marriages that went south after the woman got cancer.

Just as soon as the sheriff got involved the curtain came down. He didn't call in community help, in a place where he could draft hundreds for weeks of searching.
MOO he never thought she was simply injured or lost.

Stanger abduction, murder
Domestic abduction/murder

They searched the roads trails and bodies of water -
Pulled in the CBI and FBI.
MOO assume they searched the dumpsters and trash cans on 50 and alerted the nearby landfills to segregate trash coming in from the 8th for a dog search.
Acquired BMs car and phone and cordoned off the home.
Working hard, they just need some luck.
bbm
Great post.
I'm with you and esp. the bolded !

Taking a frightened, helpless wife away where she doesn't want to go would also be considered abduction. :(

So there's possible charges in the future that will reflect that.
Hope someone out there is enjoying their freedom as the end is nigh.
Imo.

"Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze stated that it is not unusual in these types of investigations to start at the home and extend outward, in an effort to seek clues surrounding the disappearance."

Search For Suzanne Morphew: Sheriff Says Search Warrant Is Sealed

LOL. How wonderfully vague this Sheriff is. Every time I see a quote my opinion goes up. Very well-worded. It could mean anything!

LMAO are we "home" or "outward"? And what does "home" mean, anyway? A house, a family, a person, "home base", a car, last year's house, a phone, a distant relative, the garage, the workplace..... ?

I sure wouldn't want to mess with this Sheriff. He understands words. And I absolutely, categorically, wouldn't feel comfortable with trying to BS an excuse like being in Denver (besides, that's his old haunts) or what happened to my homework.

An immediate offer of money with "...no questions asked...", and a carefully scripted infomercial to make it sound like she abandoned her own children...

I posted this in the last thread but that business of "release her to us and that's it, no questions asked..." -- doesn't sit well with me, and probably very few others.
Another man said this and it sounded as creepy then as it does now.

The wording of that was so strange..and the poster they have put out actually says "Police and family are seeking any information that leads to her safe return, no questions asked."
Clearly, such a poster was not endorsed by the police department.

Agreed and BM was not the only person who worked on that job site. We have no idea what possible relationships existed with the M's (separately or as a couple) and other workers there. BM seems to have a friendship with one of the other workers but we don't know if SM knew him or not.
Your post got me thinking outside my box and my first instinct of "who-done-it" theory. (As we all tend to go with the spouse/ BF/GF as first suspects )**

So----Possible relationships with both BM and SM
Coworker of BM relationship
Coworker worked with BM at the site where LE /FBI were digging for 3 days.
Coworker knows that BM is out of town (let's pretend he actually did go out of town) AND that SM would be alone via casual conversation with BM or SM
Co-worker has crush on SM and attempted a meet-up or made an advance
OR Coworker had argument while working with BM or had grudge against BM, maybe work related, OR maybe just jealous of BM.

I am just trying to think of other possibilities of what may have happened to Suzanne PLUS why LE hasn't warned community of possible threat in the area, PLUS why they were digging at a previous worksite.

Only other thing would be a random person taking her possibly while out on a bike ride but that doesn't fit with the Search of the home and the Search of the worksite.
So if I want to get away from thinking BM did it, then this is my other possibility.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member