Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound VERY crazy, but@Dave F. wanted new ideas and I just sat back and just cleared my head of what we so called know right now.

Is it possible that Suzanne did go for a bike ride, possibly with someone else (or someone followed her behind a distance without her knowing), something happened at the spot where her bike was found, and she tried to run back to her home for safety or to call LE?

Perhaps this could explain a personal item being found 2000 feet from her home- maybe while trying to run home, something fell off, or the suspect caught up to her and there was a struggle, to which the item fell off.

It's just one thought I came up with and is probably useless, haha. I have another useless idea in my head, just got to put it into words later- still trying to work it out.

That idea is not at all crazy Steelslady. Suzanne could have walked or ran away from the bike, then later been caught.

Thinking (as an example) of the Abby and Libby case, where their photo of the suspect was taken on the Monon bridge, but their bodies were recovered closer to the creek’s edge on land.

I bet they are watching him like a hawk. They are in no rush other then to find Suzanne. These guys often screwup under surveillance. This is how they build a good case with no flaws that cannot later be a reason to overturn a conviction. They don’t want a person to know they are a suspect or POI because the possibility of them fleeing. I think LE is doing a great job working behind the scenes even though we would like to know more.
Sadly, they may no longer be in such a rush to find Suzanne, since it's been 17 days. I do think a major priority is to find her eventually, if they can. That can sometimes only be achieved by a wait and see attitude. Firstly, she might emerge, or someone may accidentally find her. Secondly, going very methodically through available evidence may reveal clues. Thirdly, putting long term stress into the situation may provoke self-incrimination or a confession.

I’m guessing there was lots of blood evidence found in the house with the luminol test like In the Frazee case. I think LE knew this was a homicide case early on. MOO
I think they did know this was a homicide case from the get-go, but I’m not sure it was based on blood evidence. I think it was too fast for them to have reached that conclusion.

I absolutely get the impression that there was something big guiding them, but I’m not sold on any one particular thing that it could have been.

I agree but how would anyone know her “usual” time? I know Chatty Cathy said she biked in the mornings but there’s a lot of hours in the morning. How would you know if she had left an hour, two hours or a few minutes earlier? Personally I’m not a routine person, I rarely do anything at the same time everyday ...I used to beat myself up about being so unpredictable but this website has made me appreciate my fault.

My family members do various things, not necessarily at the same time - but for roughly for the same time each time. If a bicyclist typically goes for a 2 hour ride and they're gone for 4 hours, I'm going to start pacing. If the day is drawing to a close and they've been gone for 5 hours, yep, I'm calling LE if I'm not there to search myself. Biking is not without risk, all by itself. The idea that my family member could be lying in a ditch would be too much for me to not take some action. In the Morphew case, one would expect that the daughters would call upon Dad to go look for Mom - but he wasn't home, either. He wasn't that far away, according to his story (Denver - maybe 2.5 hours) but obviously, the daughters had a sense of urgency great enough that they called someone who was closer.

Perhaps they knew their mother frequently biked on Sundays, typically when it was cooler, in the morning (or something like that). They start calling her, no answer, by 2 pm. They know it's really unusual that she'd be gone for hours and hours on a bike ride. Whatever it is, the daughters became worried as the day drew to a close. Sounds like a typical, caring family action to me.

On Mother's Day, one can assume the daughters wanted to call their mom. Someone had had a text from her the day before, and the daughters were winding up a camping trip (apparently). I doubt theycalled just one time. I doubt that Suzanne typically biked all day long. At any rate, by late afternoon, they were worried enough to activate an elderly neighbor to go check.

It doesn't matter what my family (or yours) is like though. In the Morphew family, the daughters thought their mother's absence was significant enough for them to undertake action (we don't know all their actions obviously). We do know that until yesterday, they were kept out of the family home and that one of Suzanne's relatives thought they were "under protection." It will be interesting to see what happens next. One wonders why they didn't stay in the same nearby place as their dad, and why they did not physically try to undertake a search for their mother. If LE wanted them to stay away, there has to be a reason. Perhaps it's CoVid, perhaps not.

As it turns out, Suzanne is still missing, so the daughters' intuition about something being amiss was correct. I believe that's because a series of events on May 9-10 made them worried and uneasy. Even if Suzanne took bike rides at completely random times, her absence (from the daughters' point of view) was significant enough that they initiated a search for her.

What @Dave F. said above was very apropos, IMO.

What is it with holiday's that trigger these kinds of stuff.
Ha, in fiction Agatha Christie's Poirot had a take on it that it was too much over indulgence creating bad moods and irritation.

Maybe it's the intensity of the "we should all be having a lovely time, like the TV ad families are". Creates pressure. Or people spending more time together than normal, leading to tension and boiling over.

In some cases I think there is an intent to time it around a certain date though. It suits a purpose maybe.

I think it does in this case.

I don't know about "ordered", but it's not unusual for only LE and trained search and rescue teams to be involved, especially when foul play is suspected.

Maybe the firefighters asked and were told no. LE indicated early on that they were not using volunteers in the search.

Imo
Agree. There is a time for volunteer searchers and guidelines when not to use them.
It's strange and unprofessional for a local volunteer fire group member to complain about not being drafted into a police driven search.

This may sound VERY crazy, but@Dave F. wanted new ideas and I just sat back and just cleared my head of what we so called know right now.

Is it possible that Suzanne did go for a bike ride, possibly with someone else (or someone followed her behind a distance without her knowing), something happened at the spot where her bike was found, and she tried to run back to her home for safety or to call LE?

Perhaps this could explain a personal item being found 2000 feet from her home- maybe while trying to run home, something fell off, or the suspect caught up to her and there was a struggle, to which the item fell off.

It's just one thought I came up with and is probably useless, haha. I have another useless idea in my head, just got to put it into words later- still trying to work it out.

Great idea.

I'm also thinking there might be an iota of truth behind some of the (dis)information that was put out earlier.
For instance, maybe SM didn't go for a bike ride, at least not exactly, but the bike detail was in the mix: she may have been getting ready for a bike ride, but not on the bike ride yet.
Then, language can get used along the lines of "whoever took her". Well, someone might indeed have taken her somewhere, but she might not have actually been alive. I used this same language when my father died. My siblings wouldn't tell me where they "took" him; by that I meant his body.
I'm sure there are other examples like this. I recall from the Arias trial, she'd develop her lies from a mere fragment of reality. There often was a micro amount of truth in the mix, maybe even totally out of context, an element pilfered from somewhere entirely unrelated, a happening that happened to someone else... But somewhere in her orbit the detail was in place for her to spin a lie around. I'm wondering if we have something like that here: micro truths.

Sadly, they may no longer be in such a rush to find Suzanne, since it's been 17 days. I do think a major priority is to find her eventually, if they can. That can sometimes only be achieved by a wait and see attitude. Firstly, she might emerge, or someone may accidentally find her. Secondly, going very methodically through available evidence may reveal clues. Thirdly, putting long term stress into the situation may provoke self-incrimination or a confession.
JMO I think by letting him back into the house and under surveillance from afar they are hoping he leads them to some possible areas she could have been disposed. If BM had anything to do with her demise I believe it was a crime of passion and not premeditated and for whatever reason they got into a bad argument and it escalated to violence. Quarantining and loss of work due to Covid 19 has caused a big increase in domestic violence cases, suicides, and depression. A friend of mine works for a suicide hotline and she said calls have tripled. MOO

I’m guessing there was lots of blood evidence found in the house with the luminol test like In the Frazee case. I think LE knew this was a homicide case early on. MOO
When there is a crime scene, it doesn't necessarily take that long for forensics to process it. The full team comes in (dozens of police cars, forensic trucks, police teams on all fours searching the ground around the home for evidence, etc) and I would think the news media wouldn't neglect to capture this by helicopter, as I've seen in many cases, and as they did the search of the construction site.

When police are searching for a crime scene, and not finding it, is what can take a long time. They are looking for any trace of blood, etc, that might have been missed during a clean up.

Family Continuing Appeals + Media Atttn. + Pressuring LE = Finding MP???
For those who follow cases regularly-how long before cracks in the silence begin to appear? Will family members decide to make appeals? Will LE just stop holding pressers if nothing is new? Unless news coverage continues, things just fade away when interest in the case drops. That’s why I think some families make appeals-to keep the pressure up to find their loved one. I know LE continues to do their job, but I believe that media does play a role in some way.
@DizzyB Agreeing w you that fam appeals plus MSM coverage can pressure LE. Does it translate into LE in locating MisPers or remains or arresting a perp? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. jmo
Not directing this to you, but seems a few think that a week/a month after the 'missing' announcement is made, LE says 'uncle,' ceases all work on it, closes the file, until/unless fam & MSM raises a hue and cry. <--- Not my opinion.

As other posters here have said, intensive, robust investigations can happen behind LE's curtains, w. or w/out fam appeals or MSM coverage.

Respectfully,
What evidence is there to rule out the top three options? What evidence is there to suggest that murder is the case?
I agree that the focus of (an apparently capable) LE leads us in one “laser focused” direction; a direction that most of the commenters on this thread already put BM in prison for life.
But we know nothing, because no evidence has been released to the public.
I don’t know why, but I think there is more to this case than a “controlling” husband killing his wife of 30 years over a suggested divorce.
I also don’t put any merit in anyone’s analyzation of his 27sec video. Maybe that’s a result of the Shane Carey social media criticism.
Anyway, I don’t speak up often but I’m surprised on the lack of differing opinions on this thread. Until we get any real evidence, it might be worth exploring.

We don't know what the evidence is for ruling out voluntarily missing, animal attack or wilderness misadventure (including heart attack, etc). Or self-harm.

However, LE is not treating this case (even after more than 2 weeks) as any of these. I assume LE knows way more than we do.

People who go voluntarily missing do not usually do so via bicycle, abandoning said bike within a few miles from home. What possible scenario can you think of that would allow for someone to run away from home, without many of their possessions, presumably wearing clothing suitable for bike-riding? This would mean that Suzanne must have intended to meet someone (or hitchhike?) in order to make her getaway - from her entire family, including two children. Has this ever happened in the annals of true crime? Perhaps we should also consider cryptids in the mountains nearby, as it would be about as likely.

Animal attack as a theory appealed to me (since mountain lion attacks actually do occur, as opposed to women running away by bicycle and almost immediately abandoning their bike). However, LE has access to dogs, trail cams, etc., and thinks that didn't happen. Maybe it did, though. Suzanne fits the profile of certain mountain lion attacks (a man slightly larger than she is was attacked on his bicycle here in California a few years back - lions like prey that's moving). But for some reason, LE actually went on record saying they did not believe this happened (so I think they know something about what did happen, that we don't know).

If she wandered outside the rather large search area centered around her bicycle, with no intention of self-harm, but instead trying to get home after an accident or her bike breaking down, then she must have been extremely disoriented, because all she had to do was turn around and retrace her steps. Did she try to hitchhike and get kidnapped? LE doesn't seem to think this happened, either. I think they have evidence to the contrary.

Could Suzanne have staged a suicide to look like a not-suicide? If so, where is she? Is there a weapon missing from the house? LE apparently doesn't think so. There aren't a lot of steep cliffs nearby - but there are ravines (risky to throw oneself into one, as death is far from certain). Did she have potentially lethal prescriptions on hand that are missing from the house? LE doesn't think so. Did she throw herself (weighted) into a body of water? There's a dam downstream on the South Arkansas, IIRC, so her body would be trapped there unless she threw herself into a pond/reservoir (neither of those are large bodies of water - they've been searched; unless she took weights with her, she'd have surfaced by now).

I sure do hope that this story doesn't become an enduring mystery. And I don't think it will. I think LE has reasons to suspect foul play, and so do CBI and the FBI. They are experts in crime and their actions speak to this being a crime, but not kidnapping.

Since husbands killed their wives during separations/divorces with fair regularity, why do you think it's impossible in this case? When husbands do kill their wives, it's not uncommon for it to happen during separation or divorce. It's more common than kidnapping or mountain lion attacks, so I'm curious why you think it's such a long shot in this case.

Have you read all of the threads? Because several of us have discussed mountain lion, kidnapping, self-harm. wilderness accident - pretty much beat those things into the ground (that's sort of my specialty here on WS!)

Did you want to discuss any of those things again?

While I believe that I know who the perp is, if there is in fact a perp (JMO based on what I have and haven’t seen to date), I’m not prepared to completely rule out suicide. I know that it has been ruled out according to LE, perhaps due to the fact that they had the “perfect life” and she had no reason to take her own life, but how do we actually know that?

Unless LE already know what happened and they are keeping tight lipped, how can they rule out suicide?

My reasoning here is that my uncle took his own life several years ago. He lived with his wife (my aunt) and two young children. He had a great job, a nice home and financially, they were comfortable. He always seemed so happy. Little did we as his family know that my aunt was cheating and they were, in fact, riddled with debt.

Why would a parent leave their children behind? No matter how unhappy they were in their life? It seems incomprehensible. Unfortunately, it does happen.

If there are things we aren’t aware of that we’re going on in the household (JMO) plus dealing with two cancer battles, I can see why it would put someone in a dark place mentally.

JMO...

I am also wondering- did they have a cat or a dog or any pets? If so, were they fed and watered? I know none of us know this information right now, but that, too could also be a small clue that something happened sooner than Mother's Day.

If I ever die and they look at my iPad then they are in for a shock. It has all sorts of pictures pertaining to the Delphi case going back over three years. Even my own family would not recognize photos of various perps over three years.

That is what happens when you are on WS and want to go back and check on someone or something.

Yes! - the computer searches and files of true crime followers.

Was there any evidence that Suzanne was completely alone that weekend until Sun. a.m. or the Sat. before ?
Since we don't know exactly when she vanished.
It could have been Sat. night.
Or before that, considering that LE asked people to save their cam. footage from the 8th.

IF LE have evidence that she was not alone that weekend, would that by itself be enough reason to dig up concrete and to not warn the public about an abductor nor give any description of what she was last wearing ?

We don't know what time the husband left, although the family friend or relative (?) said he was away for a work reason in Denver.

So, were there any things around the house that pointed to someone else being there ?
For instance, like a coffee cup in the sink and Suzanne didn't drink coffee ?
Did LE look into the washer or dryer to see what was recently washed, if anything ?

Just saying that if I searched a house like LE have done -- I'd be looking into anomalies that did not fit with a lady staying alone for 3 or more days.

And lastly, although we have no idea so this is IMO and speculation --- did the Morphew's have any in-home security cams or outdoor surveillance ?
A home of 1,575,000 would probably have extensive security.
If for no other reason than to watch it from their phones while away on vacay.
So, LE would be looking into that as well.
MOO

Last edited:
I think if his phone had been turned off, LE would name him as a POI because his alibi would be in question.

JMO

This is just not done much, any more (naming POI's). It's apparently an archaic way of doing LE. Particularly in Colorado. There's no need for it. I may write a post about why LE is trending in this direction (based on conversations with investigators for LE and for DA's). But basically it boils down to not wanting perps to get information that can aid in obscuring evidence or creating alibis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member