Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Knox, very interesting.

I have some of the same questions, I'd guess. Years ago, I worked for an excavation contractor, so I have ideas of how those businesses run, working with other contractors on a job site, pulling permits, how they make money, where the money goes, etc. How tightly woven contractors can be.

JMO

Don't know if this has been shared yet, but Colorado Department of Transportation cameras may have caught something. I'll leave it those familiar with the area to see if any of these would be in play.
Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation
help me out here sleuthers - didn't we find early on these cameras don't record?? or is that another case?
JMO

But the lack of facts is not unusual at all. It's too early for LE to tip its hand. They need to find Suzanne.
Where could she be?

No confusion here on why Suzanne's case, as many others, get attention. (Opinion): It is unusual for someone to just disappear into thin air, when they have a family, friends, are active in their community.

The lack of facts shared by LE in investigations is very common, I agree. It's been common for the 25+ years I've followed criminal cases and (IMO) I don't believe it will change, and I don't believe LE is going to share the details of an investigation with the public in this case or other cases.

(Opinion formed by years of observation): when there is a lack of facts and information shared by LE to the media, the gaps in info and knowledge often get filled in with non-facts by people outside the case. (IMO) non-facts don't help a case.

Last edited:
My husband and I were debating this yesterday. I do white collar defense for a living - fraud, business disputes, counterfeiting, soured business partnerships. I think there's no way a small business landscaper has $1.75 million in cash to buy that house. Small businesses are cash-heavy and service businesses like landscaping are equipment heavy - you usually have loans since those purchases are "assets" and not "expenses" to write off like expensive staplers. My hinky meter went way up. Mortgage rates are so low that financially most people IMO would take a mortgage and use the cash in their business, in other investments. EVEN IF you received a substantial inheritance financially it makes sense to invest that money in literally anything that has a higher than 3% return and take out the mortgage. I think there are only a few reasons you'd put that much cash down and it's because your money has not been reported as income so you wouldn't qualify for the mortgage (no tax filings, etc.) or it's crime proceeds and you do not want the scrutiny that comes from the loans.

My husband disagrees and thinks it's definitely possible for a successful landscaping company owner to have that much cash, particularly if there are corporate contracts - office buildings, plazas. He agrees with me that it's a bad investment but pointed out that there are still rich people who are Dave Ramsey types who even if financially you could make a better return elsewhere, they prefer to have no or low debt. Point taken!

I have a friend in my home state who is a very successful landscaper and very business savvy. He started as a teen by mowing lawns and planting flowers. His business grew over the years mainly by obtaining corporate accounts as well as individual accounts in a wealthy county in the state of CT. He's close to 60 years old now and has a few homes, a shopping center in FL, fishing boat, cars and trucks, etc. He's rich, but he worked very hard to be rich. I don't know if he bought any house with cash, but if he wanted to, he could.

@Knox, very interesting.

I have some of the same questions, I'd guess. Years ago, I worked for an excavation contractor, so I have ideas of how those businesses run, working with other contractors on a job site, pulling permits, how they make money, where the money goes, etc. How tightly woven contractors can be.

JMO

Sorry I edited, my original post. But generally speaking, many contractor's exclusively use the same subs. It's all well and good for those who don't carry business insurance until something goes wrong on the job. That was the point I was making, musing whether BM has all his ducks in a row in that regard.

My husband and I were debating this yesterday. I do white collar defense for a living - fraud, business disputes, counterfeiting, soured business partnerships. I think there's no way a small business landscaper has $1.75 million in cash to buy that house. Small businesses are cash-heavy and service businesses like landscaping are equipment heavy - you usually have loans since those purchases are "assets" and not "expenses" to write off like expensive staplers. My hinky meter went way up. Mortgage rates are so low that financially most people IMO would take a mortgage and use the cash in their business, in other investments. EVEN IF you received a substantial inheritance financially it makes sense to invest that money in literally anything that has a higher than 3% return and take out the mortgage. I think there are only a few reasons you'd put that much cash down and it's because your money has not been reported as income so you wouldn't qualify for the mortgage (no tax filings, etc.) or it's crime proceeds and you do not want the scrutiny that comes from the loans.

My husband disagrees and thinks it's definitely possible for a successful landscaping company owner to have that much cash, particularly if there are corporate contracts - office buildings, plazas. He agrees with me that it's a bad investment but pointed out that there are still rich people who are Dave Ramsey types who even if financially you could make a better return elsewhere, they prefer to have no or low debt. Point taken!

Been speculating about this “Ozark” angle also...large expensive home in remote isolated area...very nice home but low key decor and landscaping...nothing fancy or flashy to draw attention just blends into the forest...took over $200K loss on last home yet purchased new home almost double price...moving expenses/medical bills for cancer treatment/college tuition/expensive vacations...IN home also located in secluded area on large acreage...landscaping business...it doesn’t add up...maybe SM started to question or found out something or saw something she wasn’t supposed to see? <modsnip: When a post is removed do not discuss it>

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to make a general point of saying that this case is nowhere near cold. Folks, we don't even refer to a case as cold until it's hitting the six month point. This is, what, under three weeks old? I think people are equating a lack of info from LE as them not having any. Quite the contrary - often when police and prosecutors aren't talking, it's because they have so much to say that they can't or won't. Trust me - I know.
I will definitely take your word over most on here, based on your previous posts and of course, your experience. I appreciate what you've added in several cases on here. Thank you.

maybe SM started to question or found out something or saw something she wasn’t supposed to see?

Interesting. Kind of fits with BM's "Oh, Suzanne..." plea - like everything is spinning out of control. I know a guy who owns a successful landscape architecture firm and, while he is doing well, he's not living that large.

Agreed! It's baffling how multiple comments are assuming things about the man, the marriage, their life, and their relationship with the children and more when there are no details available.

My father was in charge of our household, to put it mildly. He didn't kill anyone (that I know of).

JMO. MOO.
I think we are speculating and we often speculate based on our own perceptions and experiences in life. We have very little information to do much else at this time. I really don’t think my calling BM arrogant or controlling means a lot when we are discussing him as a potential murderer. I have lots of people in my life that are that way and they aren’t murderers and I still love them. As I’ve said before, personally my mind can more easily accept BM as the responsible party because my mind does not want to consider a stranger or what a stranger might have done to her. Personally I’d love to have her found alive and well, and if she is dead, I want her to have justice.

I could see big money in “landscaping” if there was a yearly contract to perform such services as right of way mowing and weed maintenance for a city/plant type company. But you need the expensive equipment to perform that work.
I own a construction company and have for many years. Owning the equipment makes sense rather than renting it. However, in the big recession I had to turn it all back in as I had mtgs on them and nowhere to store them. So now I went back to renting them all out again.
But BM has a large property where he could store the heavy equipment. I think he owns equipment.
I also think he probably got large commercial contracts for his expertise and made good money.

No confusion here on why Suzanne's case, as many others, get attention. (Opinion): It is unusual for someone to just disappear into thin air, when they have a family, friends, are active in their community.

The lack of facts shared by LE in investigations is very common, I agree. It's been common for the 25+ years I've followed criminal cases and (IMO) I don't believe it will change, and I don't believe LE is going to share the details of an investigation with the public in this case or other cases.

(Opinion formed by years of observation): when there is a lack of facts and information shared by LE to the media, the gaps in info and knowledge often get filled in with non-facts by people outside the case. (IMO) non-facts don't help a case.
Well stated!

I own a construction company and have for many years. Owning the equipment makes sense rather than renting it. However, in the big recession I had to turn it all back in as I had mtgs on them and nowhere to store them. So now I went back to renting them all out again.
But BM has a large property where he could store the heavy equipment. I think he owns equipment.
I also think he probably got large commercial contracts for his expertise and made good money.
If true, curious where his equipment is stored, as I only saw a small bobcat & trailer at the house. Does he have/share a yard somewhere else?

I was hoping for a presser today or some big news which usually happens on Friday's. The community is so small I’m surprised not more info has been reported by the locals for instance amount of LE presence, FBI, CBI etc. and if BM has been seen around town lately. It’s very quiet. I wish we had some new tidbit to discuss as we are going in circles.

I think we are speculating and we often speculate based on our own perceptions and experiences in life. We have very little information to do much else at this time. I really don’t think my calling BM arrogant or controlling means a lot when we are discussing him as a potential murderer. I have lots of people in my life that are that way and they aren’t murderers and I still love them. As I’ve said before, personally my mind can more easily accept BM as the responsible party because my mind does not want to consider a stranger or what a stranger might have done to her. Personally I’d love to have her found alive and well, and if she is dead, I want her to have justice.
I agree, and I don't have an issue with speculation (I've done plenty of it myself). My original point was that I'm surprised by how it can quickly escalate from a quote from one family member that BM "has been in charge for a long time" to really strong opinions about his "control issues". To your point, a lot of assumptions/perceptions have to be present to get there.
Funny that you mention you can more easily accept BM as responsible - I think I lean the opposite way - for my mind it's easier to accept a random sicko out there than the man who was married to her for 20-plus years, raised two kids together and by all appearances is a normally functioning member of society. I hope SM is somehow, someway alive and well - but if not, I hope it's not BM (if for no other reason than how the kids become double victims in that scenario).

I agree with you 100% on landscapers who do their own shoveling do not make enough to afford a big house even in L.A. ...But can't jump to the criminal activity money washing answer just yet. Where did it come from ? Why family and friends not talking?
Myself- I've been curious as to how they could afford two mortgages at the same time while waiting for their home in Indiana to sell, which happened over a year and some months later. We're not talking two small 2 bedroom 1 bath homes here. I am just willing to be that if a certain person does become a POI or suspect, that there are several on here ready to elaborate on this very subject. We can't now, though.

I assumed they were looking for a body, or possibly a weapon. I'm not sure what other reason they would use Ground Penetrating Radar. It's often used to look for disturbed earth, air pockets, or for signs of metal or other substances under the ground. I thought they were sifting to look for small pieces of evidence.

I wonder if they have tested any of the soil, although I'm not sure it would yield anything new since they did not find a body. If there were any signs of decomposition fluids leaking onto the soil, I would think it would be because there was a body specifically where they removed the soil. Does anyone have any ideas about what else they may be looking for if they were to send soil samples to a lab?
I wonder maybe if they were searching for her diamond ring and perhaps other jewelry she wore daily, like say a necklace given to her by someone special to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member