Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey WS'ers. I have been away for a long while, but this case has drawn me back. I have read through this thread, but havent gone back to the beginning yet. As usual, WS doent disappoint when it comes to sleuthing for details. Im sorry if this has been hashed out (or its probably hidden away in the evidence room with all the other details of this case), but my biggest question so far is, what exactly prompted the neighbor to call LE? And what made LE react so quickly? From my understanding SM was only gone a few hours (not days), which doesnt typically create immediate LE involvement. I have read that the daughters were concerned and called the neighbor, and also read that SM made a comment to the neighbor about potentially not returning? Do we know?

aha moment, we are in the dark about so much, thank you for the flashlight. It does make a difference doesn’t it?

Hey WS'ers. I have been away for a long while, but this case has drawn me back. I have read through this thread, but havent gone back to the beginning yet. As usual, WS doent disappoint when it comes to sleuthing for details. Im sorry if this has been hashed out (or its probably hidden away in the evidence room with all the other details of this case), but my biggest question so far is, what exactly prompted the neighbor to call LE? And what made LE react so quickly? From my understanding SM was only gone a few hours (not days), which doesnt typically create immediate LE involvement. I have read that the daughters were concerned and called the neighbor, and also read that SM made a comment to the neighbor about potentially not returning? Do we know?

Someone else may have already answered. But I believe MSM (perhaps CrimeOnline) has reported that the daughters (didn't which one or if they called together) contacted the elderly neighbor to check on their mother.

The rest is mostly supposition. The neighbor then feels the need to call LE (presumably after "checking" on the house/Suzanne in a way that isn't accomplished by phone calls). Some rumors have said the neighbor saw the bike, but that's not confirmed by MSM or LE. Somehow, the bike is in the story.

At any rate, after talking to the daughters, the neighbor calls 911. Perhaps she never went to the house to check - perhaps the girls were scared and out of county so needed a local to call 911. I sure would call 911 on behalf of neighbors' kids if the kids were scared and couldn't reach Mom on Mother's Day (0r any other day).

I've never read that SM made any comments to the neighbor, about any bike ride or walk or not returning or anything else.

Someone else may have already answered. But I believe MSM (perhaps CrimeOnline) has reported that the daughters (didn't which one or if they called together) contacted the elderly neighbor to check on their mother.

The rest is mostly supposition. The neighbor then feels the need to call LE (presumably after "checking" on the house/Suzanne in a way that isn't accomplished by phone calls). Some rumors have said the neighbor saw the bike, but that's not confirmed by MSM or LE. Somehow, the bike is in the story.

At any rate, after talking to the daughters, the neighbor calls 911. Perhaps she never went to the house to check - perhaps the girls were scared and out of county so needed a local to call 911. I sure would call 911 on behalf of neighbors' kids if the kids were scared and couldn't reach Mom on Mother's Day (0r any other day).

I've never read that SM made any comments to the neighbor, about any bike ride or walk or not returning or anything else.

Calling the neighbor and asking them to call 911 for a welfare check makes so much sense.

Yes the story goes that the daughters couldn’t get a hold of mom so called neighbor to check on her. SM was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings. Since it was late in the day and no sign of SM, neighbor calls 911.

This makes sense to me. If girls were frantic knowing their mom would not ignore calls and knowing their mom was supposed to be at home, as the neighbor I’d call 911 too. She was, in their minds, probably hurt and in need of medical assistance somewhere on her bike route.

Moo

Yes the story goes that the daughters couldn’t get a hold of mom so called neighbor to check on her. SM was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings. Since it was late in the day and no sign of SM, neighbor calls 911.

This makes sense to me. If girls were frantic knowing their mom would not ignore calls and knowing their mom was supposed to be at home, as the neighbor I’d call 911 too. She was, in their minds, probably hurt and in need of medical assistance somewhere on her bike route.

Moo
So that would bring me to question how long it had been since they spoke to her. A couple hours away from the phone would not be a typical alarm to call 911 nor for police to initiate an investigation.

So that would bring me to question how long it had been since they spoke to her. A couple hours away from the phone would not be a typical alarm to call 911 nor for police to initiate an investigation.
I think it would if you knew your mom went for bike rides in the morning and you haven’t been able to get a hold of her all day and it is now nearing night time. And she’s not home. Yep, alarm to call 911 IMO

I suspected Scott Peterson the second it hit the news. His story was just OFF. Even with the dog loose in the neighborhood from her supposed walk, I didn’t get the abduction vibe at all. LE had great reason to look his direction, as we now know. The same goes for Mark Hacking. We had no reason in the beginning, aside from watching how LE behaved and where they searched, and both ended up guilty of murdering their wives.

I don’t claim to be an expert, nor will I say I am 100% certain, but given the behavior of LE, and what we DO know, I am entitled to form an opinion and discuss it. That’s the entire purpose of WS. True crime discussion. I have considered all options before reaching my preliminary conclusions, and I am completely open to a change of opinion if new evidence or information points in another direction.

JMO MOO IMO
I didn't immediately suspect Scott Peterson because his own mother-in-law didn't suspect him. His case is now coming up for appeal.

JMO

This case has gone completely south in my opinion, and is heading toward the cold case file. I have never seen another case in which public opinion, and apparently LE direction, is completely formed by numerous persons who have no first hand knowledge of anything or anyone in this case serving as "insiders" and "experts" to publishers and pundits that never heard of Monarch Pass, Colorado until May 11, 2020. IMO
ITA.

I didn't immediately suspect Scott Peterson because his own mother-in-law didn't suspect him. His case is now coming up for appeal.

JMO
Wow wonder if he will try and become a professional golfer if he gets out.
He must be good at those 10 foot and less putts by now, if they let him have a golf club in prison.

Why would LE call for a search if they already had it figured out? Sorry, it's just not computing in my mind. What do they do, out out a general call for a search crew need and add a PS saying "No fire responders allowed"?
Everyone knows that in a Missing Person's case, the husband or boyfriend has to be ruled out first. This takes time. Suppose BM were a policeman. It would be an obvious conflict of interest if he were a part of the search or investigation before that had happened.

Last edited:
The Holly Bobo & Jill Behrman abduction/murders are two cases that have some similarities to this case, IMO. Holly’s family lived a secluded area & she was taken from her garage/driveway as she left for school (college). Jill was a FROSH at Indiana U. who was abducted after leaving her home for a bike ride in 2000. Her bike was later found in a ditch on country road. Both were taken in broad daylight with no witnesses & their cases were not solved until their bodies were recovered years later. The obvious difference would be their ages compared to SM-I believe they were both 19.

The Holly Bobo & Jill Behrman abduction/murders are two cases that have some similarities to this case, IMO. Holly’s family lived a secluded area & she was taken from her garage/driveway as she left for school (college). Jill was a FROSH at Indiana U. who was abducted after leaving her home for a bike ride in 2000. Her bike was later found in a ditch on country road. Both were taken in broad daylight with no witnesses & their cases were not solved until their bodies were recovered years later. The obvious difference would be their ages compared to SM-I believe they were both 19.
And a young looking figure and helmet could deceive her age.
That is providing it was random, which is low on my list. jmo

This case has gone completely south in my opinion, and is heading toward the cold case file. I have never seen another case in which public opinion, and apparently LE direction, is completely formed by numerous persons who have no first hand knowledge of anything or anyone in this case serving as "insiders" and "experts" to publishers and pundits that never heard of Monarch Pass, Colorado until May 11, 2020. IMO
This case is not affected by what people on Websleuths or Facebook say . Also, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. It's disrespectful to imply that LE is clueless simply because they're not sharing everything with us after only three weeks. This is how most cases work.

Last edited:

The neighbor did more than phone 911. LE traveled to Maysville and interviewed her according to Sheriff update.

On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

JMO, speculation, what if they knew her habits, and grabbed both the bike and SM. This scenario works for BM as well as stalker. They may have planned to stage bike.
Based on another post 2,000 ft from home, think 2,000 sq ft house. Not far at all. It would have to be a significant item. Phone, keys, etc. Aren’t we supposed to toss our keys before being forced into our car? Instinct by SM? Anything else of lesser value could have been dropped on a short walk around property. Or, SM could have tried to leave some crumbs. This is all extremely unlikely, also extremely hard to solve.... not all predators are stupid.
JMOBike staging from early news stories to move crime scene...

I try hard to keep an open mind, but I/we can make lots of things fit if we focus too tightly.I have never attended any law enforcement courses, but feel certain that is in the 101 basic course...
I am confidant in the LE process, LE is handling this case w/ skill...any speculation on my part is just that.
I also think this is only area left for us to work w/.
Why would anyone other than BM want or need to stage an abduction from the bike? If an abductor wanted to take SM and make it look like BM did something, it's fine if it seems like she never left home or went out. If it's a serial killer who doesn't care about framing anyone, he, too, would take her from wherever he could grab her.

Also there's a HUGE difference in walking distance between 2000 feet laid end to end in a straight line and a 2000 square foot house, esp if it's two stories.

Last edited:
ITA. Usually by now LE rules a spouse in or out or at least says they are cooperating with the investigation. Total silence on this one.

This case is not affected by what people on Websleuths or Facebook say . Also, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. It's disrespectful to imply that LE is clueless simply because they're not sharing everything with us after only three weeks. This is how most cases work.
No, that is not how most cases work. It is disrespectful to imply LE is clueless simply because they are not sharing everything.

JMO

Many similarities, it's true. Another difference that I see is the affluence of the area. SM lived in a very expensive neighborhood compared to the other women, making it even less likely that a stranger would attack her. Now that we have so many cameras on streets and homes, and trails (sometimes), it seems even more risky.

Some might argue that her wealth made her a kidnapping target, but I don't think anyone believes that an actual ransom note was delivered. It's been too long, first of all. No one wants to care for and feed a woman unnecessarily, so the note and deal would have been done right away. BM had money, after all, based on the reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove