Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped
Just wanted to say that while I agree that the person under scrutiny whom we can't sleuth is most likely guilty, IMO, there are those rarer cases of stranger abduction, and even cases of abduction while riding a bike in a rural area. Therefore, I also agree that it is not unreasonable to consider and share ideas about other possibilities.
The case of Sierah Joughin, who was murdered by James Worley after she was abducted while riding home on her bike in rural Ohio, is the one I followed most closely. (Of course, she has a WS thread.) She had been riding with her boyfriend not long before she was reported missing, so he was under suspicion in the beginning. However, he had absolutely no involvement, and LE was able to identify and arrest the killer, who was tried and convicted. MOO
James Worley found guilty for Sierah Joughin murder
WAUSEON — With the pronouncement of 17 guilty verdicts Tuesday, family members of a Metamora woman who was snatched from her bicycle and asphyxiated by James Worley, cried, and hugged, and exhaled.
back for a quick check, Thank you, some may think I am impatient w/ LE, etc ... I simply didn’t want to keep idle while we waited for updates. I will look back on that case, it happens.

The Holly Bobo & Jill Behrman abduction/murders are two cases that have some similarities to this case, IMO. Holly’s family lived a secluded area & she was taken from her garage/driveway as she left for school (college). Jill was a FROSH at Indiana U. who was abducted after leaving her home for a bike ride in 2000. Her bike was later found in a ditch on country road. Both were taken in broad daylight with no witnesses & their cases were not solved until their bodies were recovered years later. The obvious difference would be their ages compared to SM-I believe they were both 19.

Holly Bobo’s brother was an eye witness when she went missing-he watched her walk into the woods with a man in camo. There was tonssss of evidence found in that case, and lots of coverage, press conferences, etc...

JMO MOO IMO

People thought in Kelseys case that the prosecution had nothing but the word of KK...I remember reading so much doubt about the strength of the case, and how it was not going to be an easy one to prove because there was “nothing else”. Then it went to trial and we the public became actually privy to the facts and how much evidence the prosecution had all along. It was the slam dunk-iest case in some time.

What we don’t know does not equate what reality is. Quite the opposite.

I am currently working on a rather high profile cold case murder, which I won’t name for now. There is SO much going on in this case and I bet there are people who’ve forgotten entirely that it even exists, because you won’t hear a peep from us, and as a result, the media. WE DONT LIKE TO TALK. I can’t stress this enough. Why would I show my hand?? And in my case we already have an arrest. So we’re on far more solid ground than this three-week-old investigation.

Patience. It will come to light when it’s ready.

^^^^ This, I believe. :)
I agree. LE knows what they are doing. What I don't understand is why people keeping trying to force an unconfirmed bike ride into their theories. Until LE confirms she was on a bike ride, I won't believe there ever was one. Is was planted by a potential POI to direct the investigation. If she was on a bike ride and her bike was found, LE would have confirmed it. There silence says everything I need to know at this point.

"DailyMail.com has learned it was her daughters Mallory and Macy who first raised the alarm after they were unable to get hold of her on Mother's Day as they made their way back from a camping trip in Idaho. Friends said they asked neighbor Jeanne Ritter, 70, to check on Suzanne when they couldn't get hold of her and it was Ritter who later called the police to report her missing. Ritter declined to comment when approached by DailyMail.com." https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rt-building-site-Colorado-cops-searching.html

Obviously the girls said something to the neighbor about a bike ride, or she'd have never mentioned it to LE when she called to report SM missing. I suspect they may have said something along the lines of "she might have gone for a bike ride".

But as far as we know, what's been released to the public anyway, is that it was fire chief Bertram that mentioned Sunday bike rides, in particular:

"Bertram went on to say that Suzanne and Barry were both well-respected members of the community, and active in their church. He said Suzanne was known to go for a bike ride on Sunday mornings before church, and said he did not believe she attended church on May 10, though he could not be certain." ‘Pacing around, staring out windows’: Chaffee County Fire Chief addresses questions about missing Suzanne Morphew’s husband Barry Morphew

SO many unknowns with this messed up case.

Did she really go for a bike ride?
We don't know.

How did Bertram know her "usual" Sunday routine?
Likely from BM, but we don't know.

When was the last time SM's daughters actually were in contact with their mom before Sunday?
We don't know. Obviously something about her being out of reach, on that particular day, made them worry enough to call the neighbor.

Why was a missing person's report & a search launched SO quickly when appearances indicate SM had only been "missing" less than a day?
We don't know, but we have to consider what LE saw/knew/discovered after speaking to the girls, the neighbor, and probably BM, after that 911 call was made.

Why did BM almost immediately put it out there about a reward and no questions asked, as if there were actually someone to receive the award and not answer any questions, after he first stated it was "too soon" for a public comment?
We don't know. Either he assumed, for some reason, or he was narrative building, for another reason.

Just some random thoughts. Hoping for an arrest and recovery very soon.

Can you give an example? I'm not clear on what you mean.
While fire departments are used for searches of confined spaces, water and high angle rescue, in most cases, they do not have advanced woodland search skills. Excluding the fire department because a member is a potential POI eliminates the other members from leaking sensitive case and evidence information to that POI, either on purpose or by unwitting accident.

While fire departments are used for searches of confined spaces, water and high angle rescue, in most cases, they do not have advanced woodland search skills. Excluding the fire department because a member is a potential POI eliminates the other members from leaking sensitive case and evidence information to that POI, either on purpose or by unwitting accident.
Thank you!

I agree. LE knows what they are doing. What I don't understand is why people keeping trying to force an unconfirmed bike ride into their theories. Until LE confirms she was on a bike ride, I won't believe there ever was one. Is was planted by a potential POI to direct the investigation. If she was on a bike ride and her bike was found, LE would have confirmed it. There silence says everything I need to know at this point.

IMO, the bike ride theory is going to stay as a topic of discussion because the news reported, over & over, CO mom does not return from bike ride or something to that effect. It’s the header even on WS.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread when the bike ride story was already being questioned, but it's really simple. If the report was, she went missing while walking her dog, and a family member had shared that the dog (or it's collar, or leash) was found some distance from the house... we'd still be sitting here talking about her walking the dog.

Until LE comes right out and says "no, we cannot confirm the bike ride story and we have reason to believe the bike ride never happened" then, folks will still be inclined to assume it may be true.

jmo

What I don't understand is why people keeping trying to force an unconfirmed bike ride into their theories. Until LE confirms she was on a bike ride, I won't believe there ever was one. Is was planted by a potential POI to direct the investigation. If she was on a bike ride and her bike was found, LE would have confirmed it. There silence says everything I need to know at this point.

LE confirmed the bike ride in their May 13th press release. "Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member