Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM.

If that was the case, why has LE not released any information regarding the vehicle used? A car/bike accident would leave a lot of debris on the road,including some not seen by the naked eye. Also, LE is often able to match paint flecks and tiny bits of a car to a specific make and model. Why would LE not release that information to find the vehicle involved?

And who would deliberately crash into her and why? To what purpose?

MOO

Because it didn't happen, and there is no info to release.

jmo

IIRCC, her nephew was upset that LE would not reveal the condition of her bike when it was allegedly found. I guess you could assume that in different ways. Perhaps by requesting the condition, he wanted confirmation that a bike was even found at all. I dont think LE ever confirmed a bike was found. I have often wondered if comments from family were ceased because of such pleas/comments. However innocent they may seem at the time, they could also be revealing pertinent information. Jmo.

BBM.

If that was the case, why has LE not released any information regarding the vehicle used? A car/bike accident would leave a lot of debris on the road,including some not seen by the naked eye. Also, LE is often able to match paint flecks and tiny bits of a car to a specific make and model. Why would LE not release that information to find the vehicle involved?

And who would deliberately crash into her and why? To what purpose?

MOO
They are not releasing anything. That's the crux in this. Crash into her to grab her like I said.

I think there's a lot of focus on the trail that was presented. Wealthy, loving married mom, goes missing/snatched for ransom. Husbands offer for safe return.

Over looking the alarming beginning with: daughter asks neighbor to check on mom then calls police. Calling the police, especially if wealthy, isn't common, it's a necessity.

If I can't find mom, I try dad, friends, maybe shes's busy, by 2nd day I'm concerned, possibly calling police.

If mom has alerted me to safety concerns and what to do, I'm calling police when I can't get ahold of mom.

Sadly, the 2nd scenario is something I went through with my daughter. I found myself in a DV situation. I had to tell my daughter things I never wanted to share. But, she had a right to know just incase. We were scared, developed code words, locations, you name it. I know if my daughter couldn't reach me/vice versa, 911 instantly and follow through with our plan. This is why I don't really care about the bike/plea/rumors, those come after.

IMO, the bike ride theory is going to stay as a topic of discussion because the news reported, over & over, CO mom does not return from bike ride or something to that effect. It’s the header even on WS.

BBM:

MSM still keeps regurgitating that narrative that "CO mom goes missing on MD after going on a bike ride."

At least the WS header doesn't say she went missing after leaving for a bike ride.
It says she "didn't return from bike ride."
Which is, in point of fact, true.

Here's what I propose the thread title should be here:

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, on account of she never actually went on a bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

JMO.

Last edited:
BBM:

MSM still keeps regurgitating that narrative that "CO mom goes missing on MD after going on a bike ride."
At least the WS header doesn't say she went missing after leaving for a bike ride.

It says she "didn't return from bike ride."

Which is, in fact, true.

Here's what I propose the thread title should be here:

CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, on account of she never actually went on a bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

JMO.
I agree. I feel like the bike ride story is a presumption or a deterrent, depending on who initiated it. I do believe it was a normal activity in her life, Im just not so convinced that it actually occurred on this particular day. I also think LE has the answer to this question. If not, they would be asking for those camera recordings to find her path, what she was wearing, where she was last seen, if she was alone, etc. Imo, they are potentially asking for those videos to be preserved in case they need proof later that she was never on them. Moo.

I'm trying to think if I have ever heard of any kidnappers that have left a trail of personal items of the victim in such a manner. A personal item was found 2000 feet from her home and they said they have one other item of Suzanne's, to which many believe is her bike, found on the trail or ravine or wherever it was found, but not near the personal item found later in the week. What kidnapper takes the time to do such a thing? They want to grab their victim and get out of dodge.

yup. If something like a helmet was found, then it doesn’t fit with a “abduction” or “kidnapping.” It takes a while to remove a bike helmet. And other things.

As impatient as we are for a resolution, I totally trust local LE, CBI, FBI.

They are not releasing anything. That's the crux in this. Crash into her to grab her like I said.
If the evidence LE have thus far gleaned from the likely crime scenes (both house and location of bike and other personal belongings), indicated an abduction, this investigation would not have taken the direction it has. We can’t even imagine what evidence they already possess. They are not obligated to “Joe Public” to release anything. And, they haven’t. Good on them. What I do recall, from another case where the SO “appeared” shady, they cleared him within the week. If LE here could do this, I have no doubt they would, to quell the rumours for the sake of the children especially. Time will tell if there was any substance to them. MOO

So that would bring me to question how long it had been since they spoke to her. A couple hours away from the phone would not be a typical alarm to call 911 nor for police to initiate an investigation.
BBM:

One of the most unusual omissions to me is that LE has not publicly stated when anyone last saw/spoke with SM.

They haven't disclosed when or where the last independent sighting of her occurred.

They haven't disclosed when anyone last spoke with her, either.

What LE has done, though, is ask for anyone living in the area with security cameras to preserve their footage from the dates between May 8th - May 12th in case LE needs to review it.

I think LE's been able to determine that the last independent sighting of SM occurred on May 8th, i.e., they have camera footage of her on that date or a non-family member reported seeing/speaking to her some time that day.

If they had verification of SM being alive and well on May 9th and/or May 1oth, there'd be no potential need for footage from May 8th.

JMO.

It’s not a cold case just because you don’t have lawyers blabbing to the press on all sides! It takes time to process and test evidence. It takes time to properly subpoena 3rd parties and have experts review electronic data. If we want something to do we can put together a list of the information LE has but we don’t. When was the last call on Suzanne’s phone? Her last text, FB message, browser refresh? The list goes on and on!

The wealth of electronic information we all leave behind can be a goldmine to LE but it also is a SLOG. As a new lawyer I spent a month reading one guy’s electronic communications. A month! And that was after someone else went through and tagged the “relevant” emails for me. It’s just...a LOT.

Nothing is fast. Clients always ask me if we can solve their problem faster by suing some third party that they think is “really” responsible. And my answer is always no, the process is slow, there are rules, Court is never fast or efficient. Same for criminal investigations!
This is 100% the reality
As a SIO ( senior investigative officer) I was responsible for leading a murder investigation and teams of detectives and forensic experts etc and I can tell you that the evidence from one cell phone alone can run into thousands of pages for my detectives to read through and decipher what, If anything, is relevant to the case . So can you imagine when you have numerous people involved in an investigation, wether it to be rule them in or out or as an alibi or a victim, just how onerous this task is? And it is just one small part of the investigation. Any investigation strategy revolves around various strands for example:
1. Intelligence
2. Cell phone analysis
3. Victim file to include all that is known about them
4. DNA evidence
5. Forensic submission as a whole
6. Search parameters and recovery
7. Disclosure
8. Actions - those raised that need investigation and those that are considered but not deemed to take the investigation further ( but it still all needs recording )
9. Forensic mapping
10. Witnesses
11. Media strategy
I could go on but I think that you get the drift that any investigation of this type is massive and takes time and has to be that way to get it right so that by the time it gets to the Court process, there’s no room for doubt or for weaknesses in the investigation to allow the accused to get off on a technicality or procedural issue etc
Be patient and all will bear fruit

This is 100% the reality
As a SIO ( senior investigative officer) I was responsible for leading a murder investigation and teams of detectives and forensic experts etc and I can tell you that the evidence from one cell phone alone can run into thousands of pages for my detectives to read through and decipher what, If anything, is relevant to the case . So can you imagine when you have numerous people involved in an investigation, wether it to be rule them in or out or as an alibi or a victim, just how onerous this task is? And it is just one small part of the investigation. Any investigation strategy revolves around various strands for example:
1. Intelligence
2. Cell phone analysis
4. DNA evidence
7. Disclosure
8. Actions - those raised that need investigation and those that are considered but not deemed to take the investigation further ( but it still all needs recording )
9. Forensic mapping
10. Witnesses
11. Media strategy
I could go on but I think that you get the drift that any investigation of this type is massive and takes time and has to be that way to get it right so that by the time it gets to the Court process, there’s no room for doubt or for weaknesses in the investigation to allow the accused to get off on a technicality or procedural issue etc
Great post!

BBM:

One of the most unusual omissions to me is that LE has not publicly stated when anyone last saw/spoke with SM.

They haven't disclosed when or where the last independent sighting of her occurred.

They haven't disclosed when anyone last spoke with her, either.

What LE has done, though, is ask for anyone living in the area with security cameras to preserve their footage from the dates between May 8th - May 12th in case LE needs to review it.

I think LE's been able to determine that the last independent sighting of SM occurred on May 8th, i.e., they have camera footage of her on that date or a non-family member reported seeing/speaking to her some time that day.

If they had verification of SM being alive and well on May 9th and/or May 1oth, there'd be no potential need for footage from May 8th.

JMO.
We are definitely on the same page. I posted almost exactly this without seeing this.

This is 100% the reality
1. Intelligence
2. Cell phone analysis
4. DNA evidence
7. Disclosure
9. Forensic mapping
10. Witnesses
11. Media strategy

Thank you so much for this informative and great post!

I think there's a lot of focus on the trail that was presented. Wealthy, loving married mom, goes missing/snatched for ransom. Husbands offer for safe return.

Over looking the alarming beginning with: daughter asks neighbor to check on mom then calls police. Calling the police, especially if wealthy, isn't common, it's a necessity.

If I can't find mom, I try dad, friends, maybe shes's busy, by 2nd day I'm concerned, possibly calling police.

If mom has alerted me to safety concerns and what to do, I'm calling police when I can't get ahold of mom.

Sadly, the 2nd scenario is something I went through with my daughter. I found myself in a DV situation. I had to tell my daughter things I never wanted to share. But, she had a right to know just incase. We were scared, developed code words, locations, you name it. I know if my daughter couldn't reach me/vice versa, 911 instantly and follow through with our plan. This is why I don't really care about the bike/plea/rumors, those come after.
IMO that was very smart of you and your D and I don’t think there was a bike ride either
JMO

Last edited:
It’s not a cold case just because you don’t have lawyers blabbing to the press on all sides! It takes time to process and test evidence. It takes time to properly subpoena 3rd parties and have experts review electronic data. If we want something to do we can put together a list of the information LE has but we don’t. When was the last call on Suzanne’s phone? Her last text, FB message, browser refresh? The list goes on and on!

The wealth of electronic information we all leave behind can be a goldmine to LE but it also is a SLOG. As a new lawyer I spent a month reading one guy’s electronic communications. A month! And that was after someone else went through and tagged the “relevant” emails for me. It’s just...a LOT.

Nothing is fast. Clients always ask me if we can solve their problem faster by suing some third party that they think is “really” responsible. And my answer is always no, the process is slow, there are rules, Court is never fast or efficient. Same for criminal investigations!

This is 100% the reality
1. Intelligence
2. Cell phone analysis
4. DNA evidence
7. Disclosure
9. Forensic mapping
10. Witnesses
11. Media strategy
I’m saving these posts and will quote them in the future - both are some of the most informative posts I’ve read in all my years at WS - thank you
JMO

Deliberately crash into her to abduct. Accidentally crash into her and panic and hide the body. Both scenarios have happened before.

We have no idea what happened. Did dogs hit on her scent traveling from the house to the the location of the bike? They should have been able to with the trail only a few hours old.

If they did and then her trail ended, someone pushing her over and putting her in a vehicle works.
Searchers scoured the woods, river dam and road with a grid search, were they led to an area by the dogs?
Was there a trail leading toward 50 then disappearing?
Hope they have something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member