Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So that would bring me to question how long it had been since they spoke to her. A couple hours away from the phone would not be a typical alarm to call 911 nor for police to initiate an investigation.
I think it’s one of two things: either their Mom hadn’t been feeling well or didn’t have her strength all the way back yet so they were worried she had an accident and was ill or injured/unconscious somewhere and couldn’t answer her phone due to her condition or poor cell service; or the daughter(s) were aware of a recent argument/fighting between their parents and perhaps even Suzanne did tell them she was scared but they might have called LE because they had a bad feeling or they heard or were told by their mom that BM threatened her in some way. This is of course if she even went on that bike ride. Something could have happened a day or two before MD and BM used her cell phone to text the girls pretending to be SM and say I’m going for a bike ride. Maybe they texted her back and said ok have fun and call us when you get home or we will call you later at such and such time and so when that time had passed they became worried. Maybe they called their dad and he didn’t answer so they called the neighbor. Or he did answer and he said I’m on the way home why don’t you see if the neighbor could go over and check on her. All speculation of course. Or...maybe there was “Ozark theory” type stuff going on that would make them fear she could have been kidnapped. I don’t find it strange that they would call LE that soon if they thought she went on a bike ride and she was hours late returning and no one could reach her. If it was my mom I would have done the same. IMO

I didn't immediately suspect Scott Peterson because his own mother-in-law didn't suspect him. His case is now coming up for appeal.

JMO

In many cases, family does not believe—doesn’t want to believe—their family member is responsible for the disappearance or death of a loved one, until irrefutable evidence surfaces.

Coming to the realization that the perpetrator is in their midst must be excruciating. My heart broke for Lacey’s mom, and the rest of the family, when they came to know the evil lived with her daughter.

Manipulators use whatever and whomever they need to use in order to achieve their goal. Family, friends, coworkers, clients, anyone who they can spin into their web of deceit.

Most people want to think the best of those they love, and a manipulator will take that very fine attribute and use it as a weapon against those same people.

The silence of family, the nephew included, and friends in this case makes me think they are all having to come to terms with some hard truths.

People thought in Kelseys case that the prosecution had nothing but the word of KK...I remember reading so much doubt about the strength of the case, and how it was not going to be an easy one to prove because there was “nothing else”. Then it went to trial and we the public became actually privy to the facts and how much evidence the prosecution had all along. It was the slam dunk-iest case in some time.

What we don’t know does not equate what reality is. Quite the opposite.

I am currently working on a rather high profile cold case murder, which I won’t name for now. There is SO much going on in this case and I bet there are people who’ve forgotten entirely that it even exists, because you won’t hear a peep from us, and as a result, the media. WE DONT LIKE TO TALK. I can’t stress this enough. Why would I show my hand?? And in my case we already have an arrest. So we’re on far more solid ground than this three-week-old investigation.

Patience. It will come to light when it’s ready.

Patience is a virtue alright but it’s so hard!!! Great post but now we all want to know what case!!! Thanks a lot! Lol Can you tell us what you do? Are you a detective? What state? Any clues you can give us?

People thought in Kelseys case that the prosecution had nothing but the word of KK...I remember reading so much doubt about the strength of the case, and how it was not going to be an easy one to prove because there was “nothing else”. Then it went to trial and we the public became actually privy to the facts and how much evidence the prosecution had all along. It was the slam dunk-iest case in some time.

What we don’t know does not equate what reality is. Quite the opposite.

I am currently working on a rather high profile cold case murder, which I won’t name for now. There is SO much going on in this case and I bet there are people who’ve forgotten entirely that it even exists, because you won’t hear a peep from us, and as a result, the media. WE DONT LIKE TO TALK. I can’t stress this enough. Why would I show my hand?? And in my case we already have an arrest. So we’re on far more solid ground than this three-week-old investigation.

Patience. It will come to light when it’s ready.

Thank you (and @Alethea and any other attorneys) for your input. It's very helpful and much appreciated! IMO.

I need visuals, or mile references, this is bothersome, it is 1/4 mi to our entrance gate. Too far for me to have casually dropped and left something. Definitely
Could have been planted, but rather close to house, if someone wanted to misdirect.

What if someone had a possession/possessions which they had planned to plant on the trail somewhere,but when they were prevented from searching for Suzanne had to quickly dispose of them elsewhere.

Could you cite that?
The Daily Mail article which identifies the neighbor (Suzanne Morphew's husband was paid to lay dirt at the building site Colorado cops are searching | Daily Mail Online) says the daughters were the first to be concerned. They asked the neighbor to check on their mom. The neighbor later called 911.
Well the article says the "daughter's friend's stepmother" said the daughters asked the neighbor to check on their mom. I think that's very likely accurate. It's just we don't know how much this stepmother actually knows firsthand or if that was a rumor circulating around the daughter's friend group. I do suspect there's truth to her words. We just don't have many confirmed facts in this case, it's crazy.

I agree. LE knows what they are doing. What I don't understand is why people keeping trying to force an unconfirmed bike ride into their theories. Until LE confirms she was on a bike ride, I won't believe there ever was one. Is was planted by a potential POI to direct the investigation. If she was on a bike ride and her bike was found, LE would have confirmed it. There silence says everything I need to know at this point.
There may not even have been a plant of an actual bike. No confirmation from LE on this, except vaguely saying they found a personal item that wasn't a bike. That doesn't mean there was a bike! It means they haven't got anything to say about a bike!
The "plant" may have been the idea of a bike, the idea of a bike ride, the idea of "bike enthusiast". All of this could have been generated by a perp who needed a distraction. ALL of it.
We seem to have ONE old photo of SM with bike gear. No input from local bike groups, fellow riders, etc. No one saying they'd ever actually seen her on a bike or gone riding with her, EVER.
You can wear nice bike gear without being an "enthusiast". Just sayin'. There are a lot of folks out there stylin' and not doing a whole lot of riding, let alone on a regular basis. It's very "current" in active circles to wear athletic clothing, own nice athletic equipment, and take photos in your togs: it's a thing.
The entire bike motif is just hearsay, i.e. "Someone told X who told Y who said "always" who said "enthusiast" who reported it to the police.... All this needed was one person to insert a detail into the whole scenario that could have been entirely made up.

I agree. LE knows what they are doing. What I don't understand is why people keeping trying to force an unconfirmed bike ride into their theories. Until LE confirms she was on a bike ride, I won't believe there ever was one. Is was planted by a potential POI to direct the investigation. If she was on a bike ride and her bike was found, LE would have confirmed it. There silence says everything I need to know at this point.
Respectfully,
I never forced bike into the theory. My method is to keep all options open, and work back...We are all confidant that LE HAS already done this w/ far more resources and experience. Most of us are quite aware of the need for LE to keep a tight lid on the investigation.
JMO Most of us have already formed a good theory, but our sleuthing more in that direction, risks violating TOS.
I have been quite clear that sleuthing here does not cause LE to change the focus of this investigation.
I merely suggested WE go back to the beginning and pursue the much lesser believable scenario of the random stranger abduction or stalker. This would be sort of a review for us, not critique of LE.
JMO It would also allow a discussion w/o risk of timeout. As far as I know LE has NOT corrected media reports, as to the bike involvement, so I can assume they have quietly taken the necessary steps to push it to the lowest level of investigation. So until they correct this, they may consider our searches here innocuous.
TO BE CLEAR...I am one of the most pro LE
members here!
If you have taken any of my posts to be critique of LE, you have misunderstood me!
Whatever the reason, (I am relatively new member, )WS has had a tight lid on this case, sleuthing is very restricted.
AND my wild theory is one of few, that has any hope for SM, and I will always pray for that.

I believe that got changed to “reportedly went for a bike ride”.

"Reportedly" was in the May 11th LE Press release. "Investigation revealed" was in the May 13th LE press release.

May 11: "Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."

Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

May 13: "Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff

LE confirmed the bike ride in their May 13th press release. "Investigation revealed that Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from Maysville had gone for a bike ride in that area and had not returned home."

Update on Suzanne Morphew search Tipline established - Chaffee County Sheriff
BBM:THAT should put that to rest. I think someone purposely crashed into her and grabbed her. How can it be BM if she is out on her bike!?!? IMO BM is dumbfounded and that's why he acted that way on the video.

ITA. Usually by now LE rules a spouse in or out or at least says they are cooperating with the investigation. Total silence on this one.
They did in the 5/15/2020 Press Conference around the 7 minute mark:

When asked whether or not the husband, Barry Morphew was cooperating the Sheriff said: "He has been cooperative to this point. We hope he continues to do so."

Last edited:
There may not even have been a plant of an actual bike. No confirmation from LE on this, except vaguely saying they found a personal item that wasn't a bike. That doesn't mean there was a bike! It means they haven't got anything to say about a bike!
The "plant" may have been the idea of a bike, the idea of a bike ride, the idea of "bike enthusiast". All of this could have been generated by a perp who needed a distraction. ALL of it.
We seem to have ONE old photo of SM with bike gear. No input from local bike groups, fellow riders, etc. No one saying they'd ever actually seen her on a bike or gone riding with her, EVER.
You can wear nice bike gear without being an "enthusiast". Just sayin'. There are a lot of folks out there stylin' and not doing a whole lot of riding, let alone on a regular basis. It's very "current" in active circles to wear athletic clothing, own nice athletic equipment, and take photos in your togs: it's a thing.
The entire bike motif is just hearsay, i.e. "Someone told X who told Y who said "always" who said "enthusiast" who reported it to the police.... All this needed was one person to insert a detail into the whole scenario that could have been entirely made up.
Lots of good info and perspective, thanks!

BBM:THAT should put that to rest. I think someone purposely crashed into her and grabbed her. How can it be BM if she is out on her bike!?!? IMO BM is dumbfounded and that's why he acted that way on the video.
Explains comment from BMs uncle, to ask about condition of bike. JMO

Thanks to all who paid attention to the timeline of LE statements-d0 we now start with the fact that Suzanne did not return from a bike ride? If that is true it changes everything for me.

BBM.

If that was the case, why has LE not released any information regarding the vehicle used? A car/bike accident would leave a lot of debris on the road,including some not seen by the naked eye. Also, LE is often able to match paint flecks and tiny bits of a car to a specific make and model. Why would LE not release that information to find the vehicle involved?

And who would deliberately crash into her and why? To what purpose?

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member