Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think clothing and personal items would be important in a stranger abduction scenario. Someone might find an item of clothing on a hike, or along the water. It might help locate a missing person.
Correct. And the fact that LE didn't release any info describing what she may have been wearing when last seen IS significant. It suggests that they're not looking at this as a stranger abduction.

I think they are taking the time to be thorough and meticulous, while allowing someone to sweat. Maybe the can force an error by icing someone out. They are likely gambling on a very low flight risk.

MOO
So, let’s assume LE has a suspect and some evidence but not enough in their minds to close the deal. What kind of error would LE being looking for? An all out confession? Keep in mind that the ‘suspect’ may or may not have already hired a lawyer. And because BM has hired a lawyer, what do you think his lawyer is telling him, other than “don’t say anything, to anyone”?

I'm really curious why you're suggesting the Morphew family might have been known to LE before this incident?
Normally, local LE only know a family or a residence if there is repeated criminal (or suspicious) activity connected to either.

Not so true in a "suburb" that's only 135 people, near a town that's only 5000. Everyone knows everybody. I have no opinion about whether the Morphews were known to LE for any particular reason, but even one call out to the house would probably be talked about extensively at morning report in a small town PD.

We're all just throwing things out to try and explain why, in this "missing person" case, there is no entry into NAMUS, no "last seen" or "last heard from," or any attempt whatsoever to alert the public as to what to look for in terms of finding Suzanne (except her age and some images that are apparently more than a year old).

We're also trying to explain the nature of the searches/warrant activity.

At this point, almost any hypothesis is as good as any other. For whatever reason, LE has said they don't think this is a suicide or an animal attack, but didn't rule out "runaway wife" or "husband did it" or "stranger abduction."

They simply aren't treating it as a stranger abduction, though. Not in terms of past norms regarding other suspected stranger abductions/murders.

I don't see why it's far-fetched in particular to think that the Morphews could have been known to LE, any more than it's far-fetched to think that maybe Suzanne ran away. Outlier theories are sometimes right, because we're dealing with real crimes and no two are alike. Whatever happened to Suzanne, it has an element of the strange or bizarre.

However, some of us think this may have been a household where one person exercised an undesired amount of control over the other person. That's completely a hunch, but if it's true, it probably didn't start on Mother's Day. We just don't know.

Small towns often produce some of the strangest true crime cases, perhaps because so many people do know nearly everyone in town, at least by sight. And people have opinions. I can only imagine what conversations are taking place among friends and neighbors in both Salida and Mayville.

Guessing Suzanne is not employed in Colorado, husband has his own company - private health insurance?
Wouldn’t that be an expensive monthly cost for 4 people? (one possibly with a pre-existing condition)
Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, insurance companies cannot deny coverage or increase rates based on pre-existing conditions anymore.

The family asserts she was on a bike ride. That would narrow it down a lot. I think they could at least deduce the missing gear she uses, even if she has multiple helmets. gloves, shoes, etc.
I doesn't matter what a few family members assert. There is no proof she was on a bike ride. It is a narrative to divert evidentiary paths and focus on a theory more favorable to specific POIs.

So, let’s assume LE has a suspect and some evidence but not enough in their minds to close the deal. What kind of error would LE being looking for? An all out confession? Keep in mind that the ‘suspect’ may or may not have already hired a lawyer. And because BM has hired a lawyer, what do you think his lawyer is telling him, other than “don’t say anything, to anyone”?

Sometimes people get nervous and revisit the place where they put the body or other evidence.

Speculation here....if the perp is the father of the victim’s kids, “don’t say anything, to anyone” gets complicated. They’ll be expected to say things. They wouldn’t be able to just avoid the topic.

MOO.

Sometimes people get nervous and revisit the place where they put the body or other evidence.

Speculation here....if the perp is the father of the victim’s kids, “don’t say anything, to anyone” gets complicated. They’ll be expected to say things. They wouldn’t be able to just avoid the topic.

MOO.

LE also figures that he may confess to a family member, even if he won't to the police. Again - just like with Watt - he just wasn't going to budge with LE but he did with his Dad.

And there is no proof that she was not on a bike ride.
There's no proof she didn't go on a walk, or fishing or flew away but that doesn't mean those are viable theories. Proof is the LE has never mentioned it. There is a reason and it is not because they are trying to cover up a bike ride. They have known since shortly after she was reported missing if she was biking.

I don't think this case is anywhere near cold. I suspect, in fact,it's heating up.

If the Sheriff needed more help from the public,I don't think he would hesitate to ask. He's got some heavy-hitting LE agencies on board, right from the start, too.

I have also wondered if for some reason they were already on the radar,for whatever reason. No idea why they would be, but it's been a thought.

I think when we hear something,it's going to be the whole enchilada and I'm wondering if it will be as jaw-dropping as the AAs were in Gannon & Kelsey's cases.

MOO

This is a strange case and I’m afraid of it going cold. When others went missing in the past family and good friends were coming forward giving interviews to media. It’s been very quiet with this case. I wonder if BM could be the controlling type and kept her isolated from making close friendships. I’ve only seen an interview from a fireman and a few people that saw her around town Church and at the gym with Barry but not close friendships like in the Shannan Watts case and others. If any of my family, girlfriends or male friends went missing I would give interviews to help find them. MOO

Yes. The close friends are missing by their silence.

I suppose it’s possible she wasn’t close to anyone, and just maintained superficial relationships (for the reasons you mentioned). Or are there close friends out there who have a good idea what went down and are talking to LE in the background, rather than speaking publicly.

[Respectfully snipped.]
Good point.
I'm also wondering big time now what item LE discovered on that search when they closed the major road going over Monarch Pass and had all those agencies participating. That's a really big deal to close a major highway like that. And it seems like most highway searches are on the verges and brush; you wouldn't need to shut down traffic in both directions or maybe even at all.
Maybe they were concerned an unwanted "party" could insert him/herself into the mix and remove evidence? Add more "evidence"?
Also, if BM drove up there to throw something out of his truck, there might be highway or business cameras that recorded him driving by? We did hear LE ask people to keep their camera footage, but maybe significantly, we haven't heard if they've used any of it. I'll bet they very well might have, but, as with everything else, have managed to keep that info out of the public eye.

I think one reason has to be to keep any potential suspects out of the area. Since Sheriff Spezze told the firefighters they couldn't join in, I think it's fairly obvious who they were trying to keep out of that area. Perhaps it was merely to keep the Fire Chief from blabbing about what they found to everyone else. I think the main "someone else" is obvious.

Does that area include the Fire Camp?

I don't think any of the highway cams are the kind that take pictures (convincing facts about those cams posted a few threads ago). However, closing the road to search a particular area thoroughly (probably not a research of the grid circle) is major. After that, LE apparently gets a warrant to drill out and dig under someone's newly poured garage foundation (I believe that's what it was, I think it was on CrimeOnline).

Perhaps the truck has GPS - or, more likely in a case like this, the perp didn't know that wireless service isn't necessary for GPS to work in the phone - nor does putting it on airplane mode work, either. Turning one's phone off completely is something many modern perps know is a Big Red Flag and looks terrible to a jury or judge.

By now, LE has at least talked on the phone to the daughters (I'd think) or visited them where ever they are.

We should note that the Fire Chief, who has been hanging out with BLM and has knowledge of his pacing around his temporary home, does not know where the daughters are.

Special search road closure, no BOLO, daughters not staying with father, cement chopped, items taken out of family home, email with a very specific scenario sent to church in Indiana less than 24 hours after Suzanne goes missing, no public appeal by daughters...this is obviously being treated as a potential murder. LE can see this pattern as well as we can, plus they now have BLM's and SM's phone records (longterm), as well as credit card information, etc.

If they found forensic items at Fire Camp or elsewhere in the mountains up highway 50, I'd think results would be back by now. This isn't cold yet, but I do hope something dramatic happens soon.

The unnamed relative of Suzanne who says they think the girls are "under protection" paints a very sobering portrait. Why do the girls need protection?

No, I didn't say anyone was guilty.^^^
If I did, it would be putting words into someone else's mouth.

We don't know if there was a crime.
Although LE did say from the beginning that it was a criminal investigation, and that they haven't at this time ruled out foul play.

LE seem to be pursuing leads, though !
MOO

Don't you think that the husband would at least know what her helmet looked like?

Surely she didn't have a large collection of those.

BTW, the bike that everyone was discussing in the last thread is not, IMO, Suzanne's bike (which surely must be in evidence at this point and I find it hard to believe they released it to BLM).

What do you think of the fact that BLM omitted any reference to identifying information in his youtube?

He seems to be indicating he thinks this could be a stranger abduction (as opposed to his wife running off with a lover). I'm just riffing off your questions, Liet - it does seem that if the husband really thought it was a stranger abduction, he'd want a statewide and even nationwide campaign to find Suzanne or clues to who has her. A locally offered reward is not enough (and articles in a UK online newspaper, despite its large readership, don't seem targeted enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader