Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you think that the husband would at least know what her helmet looked like?

Surely she didn't have a large collection of those.

BTW, the bike that everyone was discussing in the last thread is not, IMO, Suzanne's bike (which surely must be in evidence at this point and I find it hard to believe they released it to BLM).

What do you think of the fact that BLM omitted any reference to identifying information in his youtube?

He seems to be indicating he thinks this could be a stranger abduction (as opposed to his wife running off with a lover). I'm just riffing off your questions, Liet - it does seem that if the husband really thought it was a stranger abduction, he'd want a statewide and even nationwide campaign to find Suzanne or clues to who has her. A locally offered reward is not enough (and articles in a UK online newspaper, despite its large readership, don't seem targeted enough).
Ita.
IF someone took her... we're left with zero to go on.
The banner for her shows a helmet.
Did she leave on her "bike ride" with that one ?

Why can't the husband even say :
  • This bike (w/a description).
  • This helmet (indicating the one in the missing banner or a photo of a different one).These shoes (w/a photo of an ad with the same footwear if there's no pic of Suzanne with the exact shoes).
  • A shirt like this one(w/a photo of the shirt if there's no photo of SM with that shirt).
  • Etc.
There have been missing persons' cases where the family provided a photo from a magazine online to show the exact backpack and jacket the missing person had with them.
This was to show a clear description of the items in case someone found them.

This reminds me so much of another "abduction" of an older woman in the desert.
No description of her drink container and even her hiking boots.
So, no way to tell if something found dropped out there was even Barbara's.
MOO

This was posted yesterday in response to a question asking if there were any updates in the case-

Lauren Scharf There were no targeted searches today. I have heard from Suzanne''s family and I have more questions out to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office to get answered. I had to be particular about the questions I asked since it is an open investigation. Hopefully, I can share soon what else I've learned.

I'm sure it's been discussed but I am pretty surprised that there has been no mention of a security system or cameras at their house. As big and remote as that house is I would think they would have some sort of something if even just a ring doorbell. On the other hand it was mentioned how "safe" it is there so who knows. All imo
In my opinion and experience, for a house in a "neighborhood" like that (without the traditional street with other houses and short driveways), what would be even more useful than a ring doorbell camera or security cameras aimed at/inside the home, would be a game camera.

Commonly aimed to show vehicles approaching the house along the driveway even if they back away or turn around before coming near the house. (As well as to capture images of interesting game passing through, of course!)

But then, a camera like that could be easily removed by anyone who was aware of it, in order to hide it from LE if desired. And cameras of that sort aren't usually connected to smartphone or other online connection, so there could be no way for LE to know it had even been there in the first place.

IMO JMO

This was posted yesterday in response to a question asking if there were any updates in the case-

Lauren Scharf There were no targeted searches today. I have heard from Suzanne''s family and I have more questions out to the Chaffee County Sheriff's Office to get answered. I had to be particular about the questions I asked since it is an open investigation. Hopefully, I can share soon what else I've learned.
bbm

That sounds encouraging !

They don’t even need blood evidence to say someone is dead. What they need is enough proof in that regard, whether that be one big thing, or a combination of smaller things.

It certainly makes things a hell of a lot harder though if you don’t have the forensics that juries expect.

If you don’t have a body, then the prosecution’s job is twice as hard. They not only have to prove that a particular person committed a murder, but they have to prove that the victim is dead in the first place.

Amazingly, no-body cases actually carry a higher conviction rate than cases with a body (88% to 70% in one study). The reason for that is DA’s only take the strongest cases to trial.

Frazee Trial: "No body" murder trials carry high conviction rates
Really interesting stat about the conviction rate (body vs no body). Thanks for sharing!

Oh, ita.^^^

I meant it's surprising that they wouldn't want to be with their father.
Unless there's something else we don't know about.
MOO
They may have wanted to be with him but not many families/friends have the space to take in three adults all at the same time. They may have had to split up. It will be interesting to see if any or all of them go back home now that the house is released.

Oh, ita.^^^

MOO

Please forgive my ineptness. Sorry, was also replying to the previous comment: "The unnamed relative of Suzanne who says they think the girls are "under protection" paints a very sobering portrait. Why do the girls need protection?"

Does anyone know what "under protection" means exactly? What are the details of that protection? I took it to mean they have an accompanying lady cop watching over them, or perhaps are sequestered with family members who have a cop standing guard?

MOO. JMO.

So my point is, a husband not knowing what his wife is wearing or what is missing is not any kind of indicator. I’d seriously be more suspicious if he was specific.

On top of that, however...I thought the home had been held by police since the day she was reported missing. So he wouldn’t have been allowed in.
bbm

First bolded : Yes, that could be another angle.
Thinking outside the box is a good idea !

Second bolded : I was remembering some photos taken of the husband a few days (?) after or maybe closer to the day Suzanne went 'missing'; of BM outside of the house next to vehicles with bike racks on the back ?

What day was he actually barred from the house ?
If there was no trip to Denver for the work-related business (& at this time LE have not confirmed that he was in Denver, just the family friend's word.), when did LE decide they need to hold the house ?
I'm guessing fairly early on.

The DailyMail is not always reliable on their dates and facts.
Although their photos in any given case are generally the best out there. ;)
MOO

Please forgive my ineptness. Sorry, was also replying to the previous comment: "The unnamed relative of Suzanne who says they think the girls are "under protection" paints a very sobering portrait. Why do the girls need protection?"

Does anyone know what "under protection" means exactly? What are the details of that protection? I took it to mean they have an accompanying lady cop watching over them, or perhaps are sequestered with family members who have a cop standing guard?

MOO. JMO.
Good question, @Melrose !

I was thinking more along the lines of 'in seclusion' as in staying out of the public eye.
Even if they wanted to speak out-- LE may have advised to basically 'keep quiet'.

IF they have LE watching over them in any capacity... it would mean they're (daughters) in danger from someone(s).
Which would add another level of darkness to this case, unfortunately.
Imo.

I hope this isn’t just going to fade away, as if it never happened, until winter or so when someone is out hiking or hunting and comes across Suzanne. It’s so quiet-LE isn’t even reminding anyone to report things that are not quite right.

Oh, ita.^^^

MOO
^^^^^^^
I agree, if my mom went missing I would be at my dad's side to comfort him and for my own comfort. Media, kidnapper, don't care, that's where I'd be. (I actually posted this on the media/map this morning by accident, and deleted it. I was trying to link the article.) I have been thinking all day about that statement, that the girls are being protected. Is that a weird thing to say? from what?Maybe from media, from a kidnapper, someone else? And if they have not reunited with BM, it seems sinister to me. But that is only my opinion as always.

Another thought.

Why would you start a go fund me campaign classified in accidents and emergencies, when the family (or rather BM) goes for the abduction scenario?
Because I think there was a pivot. Initially, I think the narrative was that she went on a bike ride and something happened (crash, medical emergency, or that ridiculous animal attack story). There’s no way of knowing if BM was pushing one of those scenarios, or if it was just speculation based on some of the facts.

When it became clear that the evidence didn’t support any of that, then the only other theory would be an abduction, which is what BM was apparently promoting in his video.

I think the nephew has been advised to stop talking, or he has become aware of certain things that point the finger at an inconvenient scenario.

That there is another, more disturbing likelihood.

I personally do not think this case is going to ever be a real “cold case”. I think it is possible that they may choose not to go to prosecution for a long time, and instead choose to wait until her body is found. No body murder trials are much more difficult to prosecute. So, it may be a long time until we see a prosecution, but I firmly believe they have enough evidence to conclude they know what happened and who did it.
Agreed.^^^

I'm thinking the DA would rather not have to 'make a deal with the devil'.
Whomever that might be.

They want to find Suzanne first !
Hoping and praying that they do just that !

Because we know so little for certain, I still have suspicions about the state of her health. Her cancer returned...often an ominous diagnosis. She had to undergo treatment again. I have a friend in that position now. It’s both terrifying and depressing. The specter of death returns...

What kind of cancer treatment? How debilitating was that treatment? Do we really know that she had been told she “beat the cancer?” Or do we just know that she’d just finished what might have been an exhausting and difficult series of treatment?

The older daughter was heading to Colorado at the same time they picked up and moved there too. Was a desire to be near her daughter in case her “time” was short...a reason for the move? Was this a bucket list move?

Even before COVID, my friend needed to isolate herself after treatments....immunity being lowered. Was this something the family was accustomed to...after watching their wife and Mother have to endure a second set of cancer treatments?

Are there no recent pictures because this beautiful woman has been through so much...medically...that her appearance had changed and maybe she did not want pictures at this point in time?

Was she depressed on Mother’s Day weekend to be alone...and is there any suspicion that she may have ridden the bike and then just walked into that wilderness, ...either because of a diagnosis, or depression, or just exhaustion?

In time, LE may disclose that this is a murder. But till then...I wonder..

They may have wanted to be with him but not many families/friends have the space to take in three adults all at the same time. They may have had to split up. It will be interesting to see if any or all of them go back home now that the house is released.
I agree with the thought that the daughters being separated from their father may not have been due to their wishes. If ones mother has gone missing under these circumstances, and also considering the young age of the girls, it would be prudent to have them in a "protected" environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader