Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes people get nervous and revisit the place where they put the body or other evidence.

Speculation here....if the perp is the father of the victim’s kids, “don’t say anything, to anyone” gets complicated. They’ll be expected to say things. They wouldn’t be able to just avoid the topic.

MOO.
bbm
Bingo.

Bet LE have their eyes on maybe more than one person ???
It has to be frustrating for them, the searching and also waiting.
Imo.

Because I think there was a pivot. Initially, I think the narrative was that she went on a bike ride and something happened (crash, medical emergency, or that ridiculous animal attack story). There’s no way of knowing if BM was pushing one of those scenarios, or if it was just speculation based on some of the facts.

When it became clear that the evidence didn’t support any of that, then the only other theory would be an abduction, which is what BM was apparently promoting in his video.

I think the nephew has been advised to stop talking, or he has become aware of certain things that point the finger at an inconvenient scenario.

That there is another, more disturbing likelihood.

True but go fund me page started on 13th of may (say's so on the page itself) and the reward money started on the 14th if i look at media coverage. Not alot of time in between.

Both the fund page and husband's $100,000 NQA reward were announced by TN on May 13.

The reward match by a family friend that raised the grand total to $200,000 was announced on May 14.

Thank you @Seattle1 for the correct info.

Last edited:
Good question, @Melrose !

I was thinking more along the lines of 'in seclusion' as in staying out of the public eye.
Even if they wanted to speak out-- LE may have advised to basically 'keep quiet'.

IF they have LE watching over them in any capacity... it would mean they're (daughters) in danger from someone(s).
Which would add another level of darkness to this case, unfortunately.
Imo.

Thank you LK. In danger or perhaps potential danger. Doesn't have to be protection from someone within their circle. Protection from the nosy public, publicity seekers, perverts, potential kidnappers etc etc. The list is endless.

World famous, very attractive young ladies all over the internet and in the news right now. The Daily Mail news site alone gets millions of hits a month. I would hope for protection for them also, if they were my young girls.

Was she depressed on Mother’s Day weekend to be alone...and is there any suspicion that she may have ridden the bike and then just walked into that wilderness, ...either because of a diagnosis, or depression, or just exhaustion?

I have not read or heard anything that indicates LE was pursuing the possibilities of SM leaving of her own free will (including suicide). I would imagine the tracking dogs would have found her fairly quickly especially if it was a suicide.

I don't quite understand the significance of knowing precisely what she was wearing when she went missing is. What she was was wearing would be of no consequence if she committed suicide, left voluntarily (which she can do as an adult), had an accident or even if she was abducted, for that matter. About the only time I can think of that knowing what she was wearing would help would be if she had some sort of incident and was wandering the streets confused or dazed or if cameras at bus/train stations were being looked at. Or, if it was known she had been abducted and was in a vehicle that was caught on camera. But even that would only need to be know by LE. MOO MOO MOO MOO

In the case of a wilderness suicide, clothing is essential. Many of us back country enthusiasts carry binoculars or use telephoto lenses and are constantly on the look out - for wildlife in particular, but for other humans too. People go search in areas long after people have disappeared, looking for the clothing, so that the family can have closure. If we don't know the clothing, we can't do that.

Off duty SAR personnel do this, other people do it, my husband and I do it. But no one can do that for Suzanne.

Drone searches are also a thing. Long after her body has decomposed, her shoes and other clothing might be visible from above. These can be a solo drone operator, or an organized, LE-sponsored event - but the solo operators need to know the clothing.

When people go missing outdoors, the one thing that's common to every MP poster I've seen is a description of what they are wearing.

Because I think there was a pivot. Initially, I think the narrative was that she went on a bike ride and something happened (crash, medical emergency, or that ridiculous animal attack story). There’s no way of knowing if BM was pushing one of those scenarios, or if it was just speculation based on some of the facts.

When it became clear that the evidence didn’t support any of that, then the only other theory would be an abduction, which is what BM was apparently promoting in his video.

I think the nephew has been advised to stop talking, or he has become aware of certain things that point the finger at an inconvenient scenario.

That there is another, more disturbing likelihood.

While I (sort of) agree with you, I think we are reading too much in to the G_M. AFAIK there isn't an option for "abduction" or "missing person". This might be the closest thing they could find in a pinch. But it really kind of depends on who actually created the G_M.

Please forgive my ineptness. Sorry, was also replying to the previous comment: "The unnamed relative of Suzanne who says they think the girls are "under protection" paints a very sobering portrait. Why do the girls need protection?"

Does anyone know what "under protection" means exactly? What are the details of that protection? I took it to mean they have an accompanying lady cop watching over them, or perhaps are sequestered with family members who have a cop standing guard?

MOO. JMO.

To clarify, the quote came from this article: ‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

Here's the exact quote and context:

The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation.

“I think they are being protected,” the source said.

JMO, but I do think the term "being protected" is more ambiguous than "under protection". I took this, as I originally read it, to mean that they were being kept out of the public eye - not even sharing with family where the daughters were staying so that maybe these poor girls can at least not be hounded by the media.

I suppose it could mean something more than that, but just wanted to point out that there are several ways to interpret that statement, MOO, JMO.

I see another poster answered you and I agree.
He is free as a bird atm, but it doesn't mean LE aren't keeping a side eye on him.
With no warnings to the public to be on the lookout for a random abductor; LE by their actions are showing they think Suzanne's vanishing was by someone closer to home.
Imo.

bbm
Agreed.
A friend who is in remission is getting her hair back but it's still very short, straight, and it's grey and white -- not like the curly brunette tresses she'd had.
Plus she's very thin !

The photos of Suzanne that are on her FB and elsewhere show a healthy, tanned and attractive lady.
So yes, her appearance could be completely different.

No way in hell do I think LE would not show a recent photo if they thought she was out there somewhere being held in captivity !

It's also telling, imo, that there's no description of the clothing she was wearing .
By the time she was reported missing, the husband had plenty of time to look through her clothing and shoes and see what was gone.

Imo.

Maybe there aren't any really recent pics of her? I'm not even a cancer survivor, but I can tell you I used to not mind my picture being taken at all, most of my life....until the past 10 years or so. The only time in my life I didn't was during a time I had gained a lot of weight, until I lost it.

Now after losing some teeth plus going gray and thinning hair, I'm back to not wanting to be in pictures, and if I went missing, the only pictures of me to put out would be old and pretty inaccurate.

Suzanne, having been thru cancer treatments, possibly was shying away from cameras recently due to not feeling as attractive as her normal self, too? Just a thought...

MOO

True but go fund me page started on 13th of may (say's so on the page itself) and the reward money started on the 14th if i look at media coverage. Not alot of time in between.

Both the fund page and husband's $100,000 NQA reward were announced by TN on May 13.

The reward match by a family friend that raised the grand total to $200,000 was announced on May 14.

Because we know so little for certain, I still have suspicions about the state of her health. Her cancer returned...often an ominous diagnosis. She had to undergo treatment again. I have a friend in that position now. It’s both terrifying and depressing. The specter of death returns...

What kind of cancer treatment? How debilitating was that treatment? Do we really know that she had been told she “beat the cancer?” Or do we just know that she’d just finished what might have been an exhausting and difficult series of treatment?

The older daughter was heading to Colorado at the same time they picked up and moved there too. Was a desire to be near her daughter in case her “time” was short...a reason for the move? Was this a bucket list move?

Even before COVID, my friend needed to isolate herself after treatments....immunity being lowered. Was this something the family was accustomed to...after watching their wife and Mother have to endure a second set of cancer treatments?

Are there no recent pictures because this beautiful woman has been through so much...medically...that her appearance had changed and maybe she did not want pictures at this point in time?

Was she depressed on Mother’s Day weekend to be alone...and is there any suspicion that she may have ridden the bike and then just walked into that wilderness, ...either because of a diagnosis, or depression, or just exhaustion?

In time, LE may disclose that this is a murder. But till then...I wonder..

My limited experience with cancer is that is wakes the tiger in a person, ferociously wanting to live and they endure grueling treatments in order have more time with loved ones.

Last edited:
The 13th is also when the sheriff was interviewed and said it was "unlikely" that this was an animal attack and he failed to confirm anything about the bike (if it was recovered, what the condition was). I think the 13th is when the Mountain Lion attack on a bike ride narrative was no longer viable. JMO, MOO.

This might seem like a stupid question so forgive me. Does anyone know who actually takes the photos for the Daily Mail? Does the reporters take them or are can they be taken and submitted by anyone? I realize this post seems O/T but there are 2 particular photos of BM in a DM article and I would be very curious to see where those photos came from. They are not from any social media accounts. They are from after the search starting.

FWIW, with some things I personally researched and see with my own eyes, I very well think SM had a personal stalker who was obsessed with her and madly in love. ETA: MOO / IMO

To clarify, the quote came from this article: ‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]

Here's the exact quote and context:

The relative did not know where Suzanne’s two daughters were staying, as police have taken possession of the Morphew’s home as part of the ongoing investigation.

“I think they are being protected,” the source said.

JMO, but I do think the term "being protected" is more ambiguous than "under protection". I took this, as I originally read it, to mean that they were being kept out of the public eye - not even sharing with family where the daughters were staying so that maybe these poor girls can at least not be hounded by the media.

I suppose it could mean something more than that, but just wanted to point out that there are several ways to interpret that statement, MOO, JMO.
This was how I interpreted it, too.

This might seem like a stupid question so forgive me. Does anyone know who actually takes the photos for the Daily Mail? Does the reporters take them or are can they be taken and submitted by anyone? I realize this post seems O/T but there are 2 particular photos of BM in a DM article and I would be very curious to see where those photos came from. They are not from any social media accounts. They are from after the search starting.

FWIW, with some things I personally researched and see with my own eyes, I very well think SM had a personal stalker who was obsessed with her and madly in love. ETA: MOO / IMO
The photos are tagged “Andy Johnstone.” As he’s not included in the byline, I think he either took them independently and sold them to the Daily Mail, or they perhaps contracted him to take them.

From what I can gather, he’s a California based photographer.

Not so true in a "suburb" that's only 135 people, near a town that's only 5000. Everyone knows everybody. I have no opinion about whether the Morphews were known to LE for any particular reason, but even one call out to the house would probably be talked about extensively at morning report in a small town PD.

We're all just throwing things out to try and explain why, in this "missing person" case, there is no entry into NAMUS, no "last seen" or "last heard from," or any attempt whatsoever to alert the public as to what to look for in terms of finding Suzanne (except her age and some images that are apparently more than a year old).

We're also trying to explain the nature of the searches/warrant activity.

At this point, almost any hypothesis is as good as any other. For whatever reason, LE has said they don't think this is a suicide or an animal attack, but didn't rule out "runaway wife" or "husband did it" or "stranger abduction."

They simply aren't treating it as a stranger abduction, though. Not in terms of past norms regarding other suspected stranger abductions/murders.

I don't see why it's far-fetched in particular to think that the Morphews could have been known to LE, any more than it's far-fetched to think that maybe Suzanne ran away. Outlier theories are sometimes right, because we're dealing with real crimes and no two are alike. Whatever happened to Suzanne, it has an element of the strange or bizarre.

However, some of us think this may have been a household where one person exercised an undesired amount of control over the other person. That's completely a hunch, but if it's true, it probably didn't start on Mother's Day. We just don't know.

Small towns often produce some of the strangest true crime cases, perhaps because so many people do know nearly everyone in town, at least by sight. And people have opinions. I can only imagine what conversations are taking place among friends and neighbors in both Salida and Mayville.

I agree with all you've stated here, and very well said.
Not far-fetched in the least that LE might have known who they are due to the population there, but I do think if they'd been called to the house in the last 2 years for anything nefarious, we'd already know about it. Probably. Possibly. Maybe?
Plus, with so much focus on this family right now, and so many brilliant sleuthers and reporters covering it, it seems unlikely it wouldn't have come out already.
That's the part of the OP's comment I was referring to, the possibility of them already having a file for some sort of criminal or suspicious activity.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member