Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Fenton@higuysimjohn
Nephew of missing Chaffee County woman Suzanne Morphew who disappeared on bike ride Sunday confirms her bike has been found. Still no sign of Suzanne. Reward now increased to $200,000 for her safe return.
That is most disturbing. At first it would be a good thing....look around and she wouldn't be far. But she has not been found, so now I'm concerned...and so is my hinkey meter (though not toward anyone in particular)..more likely a random crime of opportunity or she was hit accidentally and someone panicked. This potential person apparently didn't want the bike. JMO

I do not understand why they did not mention that her bike was found until a distant-ish relative confirmed it to media. And why would a distant-ish relative do that!?!? While I don't understand why the bike being found was kept quiet, it was certainly done for a reason, no?
Snipped

I think reporters are seeking out Suzanne's family members and asking questions hoping someone will answer, since the husband and daughters are clearly quiet.

If he is a nephew, he's probably a young adult and perhaps not too savvy about managing the media. My hunch is that he will be told not to do that again.

Unless he is the family spokesperson, which I guess he could be.

jmopinion

Joe Keller is an example. People thought of all kinds of wild theories of what could have happened to him, but in the end, he just fell off a cliff. He wasn't found for over a year.
Remains of Joe Keller, missing teen in Conejos County, confirmed by DNA match

Edited to add: To be clear, I don't think Suzanne fell off a cliff, per se, especially with the bike news now confirmed by family in MSM. And the two cases aren't very similar at all. Joe's played out a lot more like a typical hiker/biker/skier "lost in the wilderness" case where the person got disoriented or injured. Just that fluke things do happen to people in the wilderness.

Yes, I agree. Sometimes the most obvious, most simple cause is the answer. It would help to know where this bike was found. If down in a gully or similar then it may well transpire to be accident. If just left to side of a verge, well that would be different.

We had a baffling case in UK in which a 13-year-old girl disappeared while delivering newspapers in a country town in 1978. She has never been found; her bicycle was found lying in the middle of the road.

Just started following this morning and got all caught up here. This whole thing just feels off. Random thoughts:

- The neighbor being the one to report her missing, does seem strange but I suspect there's a logical explanation the local LE isn't giving us just yet, for some reason.

- Initially, the 100K reward seemed really odd, so soon into her disappearance, but now that we're learning it's been known for days (social media?) that her bike had been recovered, the quick reward money makes sense. I suppose the location and the condition of the bike matters a great deal as well.

- Hubby "it's too soon" comment did seem off to me at first but then I thought, what if he meant it's too soon for him, to speak to the media? As in, he's an emotional mess and can't handle publicly speaking just yet? Sometimes when folks are going through a devastating, traumatic situation, they can't even speak about it without breaking down in a puddle of incoherent tears. Sadly I have first hand experience with this, so I know it to be frustratingly true.

- The daughters not posting about it, or pleading for her safe return may be at the instruction of LE. For reasons undisclosed, of course.

I want to say it's too early to have a feel for this case one way or the other, but I already do have a feeling she's not okay. :(
I'd love to be proven wrong.

jmo

That is most disturbing. At first it would be a good thing....look around and she wouldn't be far. But she has not been found, so now I'm concerned...and so is my hinkey meter (though not toward anyone in particular)..more likely a random crime of opportunity or she was hit accidentally and someone panicked. This potential person apparently didn't want the bike. JMO

I've had this possibility in my mind, too. A vehicle accident with someone trying to cover up what happened. But would it make sense in that scenario for someone to leave the bike?

There are 5 *possible* scenarios as I see it:

1. She had accident, came off bike and is lying in undergrowth somewhere.

2. She was abducted by unknown persons.

3. She faked her disappearance (for whatever unknown reason).

4. She was the victim of a person known to her.

5. She has committed suicide, maybe for (unknown) health reasons or other unknown reasons.

Good possible options. Adding a couple more that are slightly different.

Like #1 but maybe she had accident and hit her head and then became disoriented and walked away from scene into the woods and has gotten lost.

Like #2 but maybe a vehicle hit her and killed her by accident and then the driver took her away because the person may have been drunk and didnt want to get caught so they moved her to a different location thinking it would help to throw off the investigation from a hit and run.

I've had this possibility in my mind, too. A vehicle accident with someone trying to cover up what happened. But would it make sense in that scenario for someone to leave the bike?

I had the same thoughts that if it was a person that hit her and killed her by accident, and may have took her away to avoid getting in trouble, then you would think that same person would have taken the bicycle too. But if they were in panic mode and worried about a car coming up the road any second, then they may have just taken her, push bicycle off the road, and took off.

Or maybe their vehicle could not load the bike easily. They are hard to get in most vehicles without taking off at least one of the wheels. That is why quick release wheel hubs are now common on bikes but unless you are a biker then that person may not have seen a quick release lever to get the front wheel off.

I do think it's weird if it were to be a hit and run that her bike would be left behind. I can see an abduction, someone trying to quickly grab her, night not care about the bike, but still it leaves behind evidence/a trail. You'd think if she was injured, she'd have been recovered by now, but we know from prior cases, that doesn't always happen right away. This one is so baffling to me. I don't want to believe her husband had anything to do with her disappearance, but the timing, with nobody there on Mother's Day, just doesn't sit right with me and doesn't seem to fit the type of relationship she had with her daughter's. They seem very close from all the pictures on her FB, so it shocks me they wouldn't be together. I guess with the quarantine, that changes things a bit. But it was said that things were lifted and folks were out and about that day. I know I wasn't able to see my mother, but I'm in MI, and we are still on quarantine. MOO. Hoping today is the day we get answers!

I cannot ever recall reading about a case where this happened.
Vehicle accident, and then a cover up.
I know it happens in movies and crime drama tv shows, but in real life, I just can't think of a single case.
It doesn't mean it can't happen, I just think it's a rare thing.

jmo

Suzanne Morphew search: Reward for missing Colorado woman increased to $200,000
snipped
The reward for the safe return of a 49-year-old bicyclist who has been missing since Sunday in Chaffee County has been increased to $200,000.

“Police and family are seeking any information that leads to her safe return, no questions asked, and offer a $200,000 reward,” according to a missing person’s bulletin.

Missing woman Suzanne Morphew’s nephew, Trevor Noel, left a message with The Denver Post that said he would resume searching for her at 7 a.m. Thursday.

A family friend matched the $100,000 reward offered by Morphew’s husband, bringing the total to $200,000, Noel’s message...
-----
posted a bit ago -

I do think it's weird if it were to be a hit and run that her bike would be left behind. I can see an abduction, someone trying to quickly grab her, night not care about the bike, but still it leaves behind evidence/a trail. You'd think if she was injured, she'd have been recovered by now, but we know from prior cases, that doesn't always happen right away. This one is so baffling to me. I don't want to believe her husband had anything to do with her disappearance, but the timing, with nobody there on Mother's Day, just doesn't sit right with me and doesn't seem to fit the type of relationship she had with her daughter's. They seem very close from all the pictures on her FB, so it shocks me they wouldn't be together. I guess with the quarantine, that changes things a bit. But it was said that things were lifted and folks were out and about that day. I know I wasn't able to see my mother, but I'm in MI, and we are still on quarantine. MOO. Hoping today is the day we get answers!

I don't think it's unusual at all that her kids weren't there. We're only partially opened back up and still not supposed to visit with people we don't live with like that. I'm in CO and didn't visit family for Mother's Day because I don't want to put them at risk. Aren't they college students? It probably would be for the best that they didn't visit if they hadn't already been living at home.

Someone mentioned this upthread and I agree: the bike being left behind might have been simply because the perp (if we have one) was driving a car that didn't allow for the bike to be carried away. We have an SUV now, but when we just had sedans, we had to get a special bike rack for the back of the car to transport them. Some people also have this installed on the roof of their car and have them carried that way. Otherwise, especially in a hurry like trying to flee the scene of a crime, a small car would not allow you to quickly take the bike away. I imagine by looking at the bike, LE can surmise if it was hit by a car or not, so they at least have something to go on, I suppose.

I also don't find it odd that her daughters weren't with her on Mother's Day. I live hours away from my mom and even during non-pandemic times, we FaceTime on Mother's Day, but with both of us having to work the very next day, a trip to visit in person is just not feasible. Everyone celebrates these types of holidays differently with some families not doing much at all to celebrate, so we just don't know if this was odd for them or not.

Just a thought on her kids’ ages - but they could be old enough to have homes/careers in other cities and kept away by COVID. We’re still shelter in place here, but some businesses in my area get to open again Friday.
But none of my children are away at college. They just finished their semesters here at the house on-line. Ditto for my high schooler. Weird that she would be alone all day at the house on Mother's Day.

The money reward. The "record traffic at trail heads" mentioned . The mobile home campgrounds so very close with danger strangers. MAP maysville colorado mobile home parks - بحث Google
Leaning towards bad guy weirdo stalker going stir crazy from lockdown. Search the transient locations and pull the cameras and interview past present guests registered or not. And check the neighbors basements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC