Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, all of this. But I too am drawn to that picture and the ring set. Not solely because of the size and apparent value, but because of her pose and the role the ring plays in portraying a message (IMO).

I could be over-thinking it. However I’m fascinated by the psychology behind how we portray ourselves on social media, and I think SM’s pictures are all saying something to the world. The message shifts a little over time (fewer pics of husband), and that photo says ‘Look at the rings’. Who is she saying it to? The person who gave them to her? An admirer she wants to remind that she’s married? Is she communicating her wealth and good fortune? Or her emotional ties? IDK, but I think it could be relevant.
I noticed the ring right away. My reaction to it was: That is a beautiful ring, they must be rich, her husband gives her attention, she has wonderful taste.

Jmo

Perhaps the sheriff has a reason why he isn’t sharing information with certain family members ? Else why not just say the condition of the bike ?
Jmo
Agreed. LE and the sheriff hold the cards and normally don't tip their hands in an effort to preserve and protect evidence. It's very possible they are on to some lead. And are looking to gather more than circumstantial evidence. JMO too.

Agreed. LE and the sheriff hold the cards and normally don't tip their hands in an effort to preserve and protect evidence. It's very possible they are on to some lead. And are looking to gather more than circumstantial evidence. JMO too.

They normally only tip their hand when they need the public’s help.

they don’t need the public’s help in this case

I think the family is not liking the direction of the investigation

I think many of them believe LE should be looking for a stranger, hence the statement they are doing their own search separate from the sheriffs office.

Me, I think investigators know exactly what they are doing. And they have a pretty good idea what happened here.

I don’t expect we will be given any information about her bike, where she was last seen, or a description of her clothing if they know it.

They aren’t looking for a stranger, they have their eyes focused closer to home imo
Has it been determined if the nephew is on Suzanne’s or Barry’s side? I also think the family might not like the way the investigation is going. It almost seems like the nephew is really wanting/hoping/knowing? the bike to show damage (as in a hit & run) and wants that info out there. MOO

Perhaps the sheriff has a reason why he isn’t sharing information with certain family members ? Else why not just say the condition of the bike ?
Jmo

Maybe it’s not the condition of the bike itself but something that was left attached to the bike, or otherwise on the bike, which LE doesn’t yet want opened up to a barrage of questions/public scrutiny?

I keep remembering the Sheriff’s early statements on the case, well after the bike was found (so it transpired) but well before its discovery became public knowledge, and reported by the NY Post...

This is an open criminal investigation,” Spezze said during a brief interview.

Spezze declined to comment on whether Morphew’s husband is cooperating with authorities in the search for the woman or whether investigators believe foul play was involved.

And then later, to another media outlet:

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze spoke to KRDO and said, "I can’t say whether the circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious and I can't share what we've found. I can tell you that in addition to the search, we have an ongoing investigation."

It looks like such a remote place to live, i hear people stating its super safe and people leave their doors unlocked, i would be scared living somewhere so remote and quite, seems like the perfect type of place for a psycho to go looking to pick somebody up unnoticed.

IMO, in many of these cases we hear the same thing from people in the community - it's safe, folks leave their doors unlocked, tight knit community, etc. For the most part, they probably are but a crime from an unknown or someone close happen all over. I doubt the general public is in any danger because this poor woman is missing. Even is she was kidnapped by an unknown person - you probably won't hear LE tell folks they are in danger, stay indoors. They will always tell you be vigilant and aware of your surroundings regardless.

I live in a area where the "Miller's" have the smallest property at 56 acres, most are 150+. We love the privacy and seclusion. Psycho's beware. lol

Has it been determined if the nephew is on Suzanne’s or Barry’s side? I also think the family might not like the way the investigation is going. It almost seems like the nephew is really wanting/hoping/knowing? the bike to show damage (as in a hit & run) and wants that info out there. MOO

To my knowledge it hasn’t been mentioned in msm other than him just being a nephew

Maybe it’s not the condition of the bike itself but something that was left attached to the bike, or otherwise on the bike, which LE doesn’t yet want opened up to a barrage of questions/public scrutiny?

I keep remembering the Sheriff’s early statements on the case, well after the bike was found (so it transpired) but well before its discovery became public knowledge, and reported by the NY Post...

Spezze declined to comment on whether Morphew’s husband is cooperating with authorities in the search for the woman or whether investigators believe foul play was involved.

Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze spoke to KRDO and said, "I can’t say whether the circumstances of her disappearance are suspicious and I can't share what we've found. I can tell you that in addition to the search, we have an ongoing investigation."

What he's actually saying: We found some things that are suspicious and we're investigating.

A couple of interesting points. Her nephew says "THE" (not her) husband has put up a $100,000 reward. Interesting choice of words.

Also, when asked about her going biking, her nephew is very hesitant. He does not confirm this, but instead says all.that he can confirm is that her bike was found.

IMO

Both very interesting. Well spotted!

Or a substance found on the bike. Mud? Blood?

First time poster

just some thoughts (all IMO)
  • Probably cellphone coverage is spotty so she may have had one of those tracker things and the daughters saw it just stopped at a specific location and that’s why they called the neighbor to go check on her
  • It’s a small town, they moved in only 1-2 years ago, so they would be well-known for that reason alone. Also, she’s a 2 time cancer survivor, community may have soft spot for her and may be why they mobilized quickly
  • Also, husband is a volunteer firefighter, he probably knew exactly who to call to get the ball rolling immediately while he was driving back. He may have also been told exactly what to do to (like offer reward quickly)
  • Husband <modsnip> may have invested wisely and could account for the money they have now.
  • I truly think LE has an idea of what happened. They already said it was a search plus criminal investigation. Clearly they aren’t telling the family some things because they don’t want to jeopardize the investigation. This could also include why the husband said “no questions asked” along with the reward. They suspect someone has her.
  • The nephew’s wording is weird, but what if he was specifically chosen as the spokesperson for the family because he has a background in PR or something like that. That could explain his wording choice.
  • I tried to think of logical explanations for all these little things, but I think most of us know something weird is up, or we are just jaded because of other cases we’ve followed,only time will tell. I just pray she’s found alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time poster

just some thoughts (all IMO)
  • Probably cellphone coverage is spotty so she may have had one of those tracker things and the daughters saw it just stopped at a specific location and that’s why they called the neighbor to go check on her
  • It’s a small town, they moved in only 1-2 years ago, so they would be well-known for that reason alone. Also, she’s a 2 time cancer survivor, community may have soft spot for her and may be why they mobilized quickly
  • Also, husband is a volunteer firefighter, he probably knew exactly who to call to get the ball rolling immediately while he was driving back. He may have also been told exactly what to do to (like offer reward quickly)
  • Husband <modsnip> may have invested wisely and could account for the money they have now.
  • I truly think LE has an idea of what happened. They already said it was a search plus criminal investigation. Clearly they aren’t telling the family some things because they don’t want to jeopardize the investigation. This could also include why the husband said “no questions asked” along with the reward. They suspect someone has her.
  • The nephew’s wording is weird, but what if he was specifically chosen as the spokesperson for the family because he has a background in PR or something like that. That could explain his wording choice.
  • I tried to think of logical explanations for all these little things, but I think most of us know something weird is up, or we are just jaded because of other cases we’ve followed,only time will tell. I just pray she’s found alive.
Great post! I agree with all of it. Welcome to WS!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to WS @LorLa! I'm hoping we can celebrate Suzanne located safe very soon.

As WS is a facts-based forum, I'm wondering if you have an MSM or LE link confirming the husband's whereabouts. Please take note that information from SM sites or public comments in social media are not approved verifiable sources and violate TOS. If we can't link, it can't be posted or discussed on the main thread. Thanks.

According to local reports, a neighbor in the small town with a population of 135 people reported Morphew missing, and authorities have not confirmed whether Morphew’s husband was in town at the time of her disappearance.

Police have not ruled out foul play in search for missing Colorado woman as husband offers $100,000 reward [VIDEO]
Thank you! Im new to this forum. I will look for the links and share asap.

The sherif declining to comment on whether the husband is cooperating is a huge red flag to me, add that to the husband also saying its too soon to make a public appeal. If my wife was missing and i was innocent and the sheriff was declining to comment on whether i was co-operating i would be like WTF of course i am, i would make sure everybody knew it as well.

To me it sounds like he's not fully cooperating in the sense that they think he's giving them a bs story that they do not believe/ have evidence to the contrary and thus while he may be talking to them he's not in their mind cooperating thus they are not willing to say that he is.

I can understand then holding back on other details but to not even acknowledge the husband is cooperating is a huge red flag imo.

I would think he is related to Suzanne's side of the family since he referred to his Uncle as "the husband."

I wonder if when LE found the bike it was off the road or hidden out of sight in an unusual place and that's what prompted them to begin an extensive search right away. There was obviously no sign of Suzanne but maybe they found evidence at the scene to make them suspect foul play.

And yes, I image the nephew was told by LE not to share any information about the condition of the bike or anything else about the case and likely are not sharing much with the family at all.

Maybe he was told that if the media asks him any questions to just direct those questions to the sheriffs office.

It must be very frustrating for the whole family.

read this- nephew clearly says he knows the bikes shape and he asks us to push the county sheriff for info on it cause he can't say.

I listened and transcribed and this is exactly what the nephew Trevor Noel says in this interview about SM's bike:

Beginning at the 1:50 mark:

Anchor: tell us what you DO know

TN: Allen, I’m… I’m willing to uh, confirm that the bike was found Sunday evening. The bike was found on Sunday evening, the night she disappeared. Um, and, for more information on the bike or it’s condition I would encourage you, and everyone else to contact the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department.
-end

Unless I missed it somehow, he did not say he knows the condition of the bike, or that he can't say. Both may be true, but he didn't actually say that.

BUMP.

ADMIN NOTE:

STOP sleuthing family or any individual who is not officially named a POI or suspect by LE. You may discuss what is said in MSM about them or what they may have said in MSM, but you cannot sleuth out their personal/private information or social media and post about on this thread.

Members can sleuth away behind the scenes and in private messaging; members may not post those findings in this public discussion thread unless/until a person is named POI/suspect.

If you don't understand or have questions about the above, private message any Mod or Admin and we will be glad to clarify.

I am honestly unsure as to how to make this any clearer. Please stop sleuthing family (any & all)! Continued disregard is soon going to result in a thread ban and/or a TO.

ETA: you can speculate as to what might have happened, but it is also a violation of WS TOS to outright accuse anyone particular of a crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18