Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent - thank you. It's always helpful to have case maps.

Fingers crossed for a successful search today and that we get information at a presser this afternoon.

jmo
replying to myself. :)

Looking at the map, I'm more and more thinking the neighbor noticed her bike in an unusual place - and it was concerning enough for them to contact LE.

I was thinking the bike was planted, but I'm now I'm on the fence.

jmo

Say what?? after 5 days they are targeting a specific area, after having found an item? when was the item found? after multiple searches, it wasnt found til yesterday/recently?? idk. id be shocked at this point, all things considered, if Barry hasn't retained counsel. i hope he had nothing to do with it, but...
I'm not surprised. They may have a large area to search and it may be a small item, like a pair of sunglasses or something.

Since her bike and another item were found in the same general area, I wonder if she was assaulted there or taken by someone.

Imo

I'm not surprised. They may have a large area to search and it may be a small item, like a pair of sunglasses or something.

Since her bike and another item were found in the same general area, I wonder if she was assaulted there or taken by someone.

Imo
I really wasn't strongly considering stranger attack until seeing the map. I'm still on the fence, but....worried. It's harder to catch a random stranger.

But I'm jumping ahead. For now, it's time to find Suzanne.

jmo

Has it been determined if the nephew is on Suzanne’s or Barry’s side? I also think the family might not like the way the investigation is going. It almost seems like the nephew is really wanting/hoping/knowing? the bike to show damage (as in a hit & run) and wants that info out there. MOO
Think back to the cases you have followed here. I would say the majority of families might not like the way an investigation is handled.

LE operates solely on facts, they have legal protocols to follow, and most of what they do takes time. Warrants take time, cell phone records take time, DNA takes time, following up on tips takes time. To protect the investigation, & ultimately a potential prosecution, they do not share information with families or the public.

Families of the missing are highly emotional and just want their loved one back stat. They are going through the worst experience of their life. As a poster here, I'm impatient and want to see visible results and I don't even know their loved one, can't imagine how they must feel. IMO, the family has enough information to know that Suzanne is in grave danger. Every minute that passes without finding her is hard for them. Desperation makes them want to take matters into their hands, as they feel not enough is being done. Truth be told, behind the scenes LE may be making substantial progress. Look at the Gannon Stauch case. We physically saw the searches, knew they were looking for evidence but had no idea how far the investigation had progressed at that time.

TN is doing a great job for his Aunt Suzanne, he's getting the word out there and it's working. The case has went national.

wow
a note about searching - I have searched before (Caylee, Jennifer K) and it is easy to miss things - especially in a wooded area.

This is a particularly challenging area, too. Rugged terrain, 9000 ft+ elevation, lots of old mines around, some decent streams and bodies of water. There's still snow drifts lingering in shady spots up there.

First time poster here. I've heard about Websleuths on several true crime podcasts and decided to come here when I heard SM was missing. I knew both of her daughters before they moved to CO. Without the call from the neighbor, I would have assumed this was a crime of opportunity. However, the call coming from the neighbor makes me think that someone called to check on her, as has already been mentioned. On the contrary, the town and neighborhood seems very tight knit and it definitely still is a possibility it was a crime of opportunity. <modsnip: rumors violate WS TOS> That could explain why SM was the only one home. IMHO, this doesn't seem like an accident at all, something fishy is going on here.

Welcome to the forum :)

Imo

Has it been disclosed where her bike was actually found? I haven't seen that, but it's possible I missed it.
TIA

Say what?? after 5 days they are targeting a specific area, after having found an item? when was the item found? after multiple searches, it wasnt found til yesterday/recently?? idk. id be shocked at this point, all things considered, if Barry hasn't retained counsel. i hope he had nothing to do with it, but...
Maybe the search expanded west of original search and item was found. None of this implicates her husband IMO, and we should not speculate without anyone being named a suspect. TOS terms here on WS as well, respectfully FYI.

Think back to the cases you have followed here. I would say the majority of families might not like the way an investigation is handled.

LE operates solely on facts, they have legal protocols to follow, and most of what they do takes time. Warrants take time, cell phone records take time, DNA takes time, following up on tips takes time. To protect the investigation, & ultimately a potential prosecution, they do not share information with families or the public.

Families of the missing are highly emotional and just want their loved one back stat. They are going through the worst experience of their life. As a poster here, I'm impatient and want to see visible results and I don't even know their loved one, can't imagine how they must feel. IMO, the family has enough information to know that Suzanne is in grave danger. Every minute that passes without finding her is hard for them. Desperation makes them want to take matters into their hands, as they feel not enough is being done. Truth be told, behind the scenes LE may be making substantial progress. Look at the Gannon Stauch case. We physically saw the searches, knew they were looking for evidence but had no idea how far the investigation had progressed at that time.

TN is doing a great job for his Aunt Suzanne, he's getting the word out there and it's working. The case has went national.
All true. I feel sooooooooo sad for her girls. I am so close to my girls about their ages and this just breaks my heart for them. :(

I really wasn't strongly considering stranger attack until seeing the map. I'm still on the fence, but....worried. It's harder to catch a random stranger.

But I'm jumping ahead. For now, it's time to find Suzanne.

jmo
I definitely think it's a possibility. I doubt she wandered away and got lost out there.

It's a small town of only 135 people, but I don't know how many pass through that area or whether or not it's a busy road.

Imo

Let's say the item was a fitbit, bracelet, watch, or something of the like. Any one of these could be easily missed on the first sweep. From what I understand they're searching a pretty large area.[/QUOTE
This is a particularly challenging area, too. Rugged terrain, 9000 ft+ elevation, lots of old mines around, some decent streams and bodies of water. There's still snow drifts lingering in shady spots up there.
fair enough to all...but this search party was on the scene within hours. no weather had come thru, likely few people trampling the ground. and she was riding on the road, so if abducted the item would not have been far from it. I ultimately think that LE would be more than happy to allow BM to make a short public plea, if for nothing else than to observe him. im betting a lawyer fed him the "it's too soon" line, which is dismissive yet makes little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benjysmom