Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think the found bike has been officially announced, so perhaps the found item is the bike.
Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

A family member of a missing Colorado woman told a reporter on Thursday that her bike had been found, but police have not yet released any details about what has been recovered in the search for Suzanne Morphew.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Morphew’s neighbor in Maysville, which is near Salida, contacted authorities on Sunday evening when the 49-year-old woman did not return from a bike ride. According to reports and social media posts, Morphew is married and has two daughters, but family members told CBS4 Denver that Morphew’s husband was out of town this past weekend.

fair enough to all...but this search party was on the scene within hours. no weather had come thru, likely few people trampling the ground. and she was riding on the road, so if abducted the item should not likely have been far from it.
snipped

Could be close, could be far. The perp could've taken an item and thrown it as far as he could, for example.

jmo

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>
The bike was found on Sunday, according to TN.

LE has mentioned they are searching based on a found personal item. We don't know that that item is - could be something new or the bike.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few min ago... CCSO facebook
Chaffee County Sheriff's Office

While the search for Suzanne Morphew continues, a specific area just west of County Road 225 and Highway 50 (outside of Maysville), is being targeted by investigators after they located what’s believed to be a personal item of the missing woman.

On Friday, May 15, members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) plan to launch a comprehensive search of the area.

More than fifty searchers and investigators will comb the area in an effort to seek additional items or other clues that may identify the whereabouts of Ms. Morphew.

Unfortunately, this search will cause a temporary closure U.S. Highway 50, Monarch Pass for an undetermined amount of time.

The Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office and its partners will work to ensure the roads are opened as quickly as possible as to reduce the impact on drivers and those living in the area.

Note: The media will not be granted access to the site due to the location and nature of the search; however, Chaffee County Sheriff John Spezze plans to brief the media at the conclusion of the search, most likely Friday afternoon. Briefing details and location will be released as soon as they are available.

View attachment 246863
Could that item be her cell phone, a piece of clothing, jewelry?

Back to the Monarch Pass area, this was also their focus on Tuesday or Wednesday. Here's the map link again, it's 8.7 miles from her home, traveling on HWY 50.
If you zoom in there are a lot of side roads directly off of 50 that lead to different areas of the river and other trails.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

The nephew said the bike was found Sunday. LE has said today they found a personal item of hers but not what, where or when, right? It’s all very vague, but I was just thinking the personal item doesn’t necessarily mean something new that they just found. It could mean the bike from Sunday or something else completely. We just don’t know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum :)

Has it been disclosed where her bike was actually found? I haven't seen that, but it's possible I missed it.
TIA
I don't think so, but I thought they were searching the general area where the bike was found. I thought that's why they were searching there to begin with. I don't think the nephew confirmed the exact location, but there must be a reason why they were searching there with dogs and drones.

Isn't it the same general area that they found the item they believed to belong to Suzanne? Idk.

Imo

Think back to the cases you have followed here. I would say the majority of families might not like the way an investigation is handled.

LE operates solely on facts, they have legal protocols to follow, and most of what they do takes time. Warrants take time, cell phone records take time, DNA takes time, following up on tips takes time. To protect the investigation, & ultimately a potential prosecution, they do not share information with families or the public.

Families of the missing are highly emotional and just want their loved one back stat. They are going through the worst experience of their life. As a poster here, I'm impatient and want to see visible results and I don't even know their loved one, can't imagine how they must feel. IMO, the family has enough information to know that Suzanne is in grave danger. Every minute that passes without finding her is hard for them. Desperation makes them want to take matters into their hands, as they feel not enough is being done. Truth be told, behind the scenes LE may be making substantial progress. Look at the Gannon Stauch case. We physically saw the searches, knew they were looking for evidence but had no idea how far the investigation had progressed at that time.

TN is doing a great job for his Aunt Suzanne, he's getting the word out there and it's working. The case has went national.

I agree on all of your points. I would add, and time will tell if this applies to this specific case or is just a general observation of mine, but I think there is a current trend for LE to advise families to keep silent. If there is any public plea by the family, IMO it's often carefully orchestrated by LE. One of the reasons for this, other than LE keeping pertinent facts close to the vest, is that now family members immediately get sleuthed by strangers and, as we've seen here, all manner of private information is dug up and put out for all to analyze, discuss and accuse. I think some families are more apt to follow LE's advice to say nothing than others are. But I no longer read anything into a family's participation (or not) in media and public statements.

Could always have been an accident involving a car - like a hit-and-run that ended with a very strange twist (bike thrown over the ravine, removal of the body, small personal item overlooked and left behind etc). I guess we’ll know more after the sheriff gives his post-search presser. Or not.

fair enough to all...but this search party was on the scene within hours. no weather had come thru, likely few people trampling the ground. and she was riding on the road, so if abducted the item would not have been far from it. I ultimately think that LE would be more than happy to allow BM to make a short public plea, if for nothing else than to observe him. im betting a lawyer fed him the "it's too soon" line, which is dismissive yet makes little sense.

Just FYI we did have storms come through on Monday. Some rain and high winds.

Missing Colorado mother Suzanne Morphew’s bicycle has been found, family says

A family member of a missing Colorado woman told a reporter on Thursday that her bike had been found, but police have not yet released any details about what has been recovered in the search for Suzanne Morphew.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, Morphew’s neighbor in Maysville, which is near Salida, contacted authorities on Sunday evening when the 49-year-old woman did not return from a bike ride. According to reports and social media posts, Morphew is married and has two daughters, but family members told CBS4 Denver that Morphew’s husband was out of town this past weekend.

The point being that law enforcement has not announced that yet. They have said very little. So some media are not reporting the bike still. So when law enforcement says they found a personal item... they may still be referring to the bike that family members already spoke of.

Just another thought... with the LE saying it is an open criminal investigation, this means they must have found something that supports that. They wouldn't just tell the public that if it was a hunch, right?

Have they confirmed its an open criminal investigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member