Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

You don't think it's a bit sick that a gun used to massacre a class of kids is experiencing a surge in sales? And nobody needs an assault rifle.
But i'll leave it at that. I can't seem to access the gun thread at the moment.

I'm glad the parents suing dropped their claim.

You don't think it's a bit sick that a gun used to massacre a class of kids is experiencing a surge in sales? And nobody needs an assault rifle.
But i'll leave it at that. I can't seem to access the gun thread at the moment.

I'm glad the parents suing dropped their claim.

Not a comment about gun control, but want to highlight something that most Americans don't know:
Every assault weapons ban forbids the sale of new types/models of firearms. However the private sale by owner of "used" firearms that are banned is NOT prohibited. Because of this loophole the value of those firearms skyrocket. The increased value is a major reason gun stores across the nation are seeing a sharp spike in sales of firearms expected to be included in a potential assault weapons ban.

I've been contemplating a plethora of possibilities as to why America seems to have cyclic senseless mass shooting tragedies.

I've tried to look outside the box for possible reasons that haven't been raised and I wanted to ask for folks feedback on the following idea that I can't disprove:

In reviewing American history from 1940-the present there is an important recurring pattern that is troubling: the American government response to incidents/tragedies by foreign agents. A couple (of countless potential) examples: The eventual response to the attack on Pearl Harbor by Japan killing 2,402 Americans was the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki resulting in over 250,000 Japanese citizens deaths. The attack on 9-11-01 by non-nation-specific terrorists killed 2,996 Americans. The US government response of starting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have killed over 150,000 CIVILIANS.

These examples are troubling because they show a pattern woven into American culture of a violent response of epic proportions when such incidents occur. While I've chosen to use two well known examples of disproportionate responses, this setting of the tone by our government has become entrenched as a toxic element of our society; the American response is praised and films & television use the hero's disproportionate response and put a positive spin on it: you hurt me, my response will be a million more times as destructive as your initial act.

So possibly the mass shooter feels wronged/attacked by someone/something and their horrific response is of the same disproportionate manner that our government consistently uses and our media portrays.

Not identifying this THE only roots/reasons for such atrocities; but definitely think it should be part of the discussion.

Just a little update, FYI the weapon that is being said to have been used is not actually an assault weapon. By definition, a true assault rifle is fully automatic. Fully automatic weapons are already quite heavily regulated.

The media uses the word "assualt" in conjunction with common semi-automatic firearms because it likes to add drama and villify objects, not behavior. The assault weapon phrase makes it sound like a true military weapon and it is not.

We should not lose sight of the fact that there are literally MILLIONS of these semi-automatic firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens that will never participate in a crime. The issue at hand is actually the irrational actions of an insane person.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-hook...-desk-building/story?id=18107267#.UORDEneWTIU
Sandy Hook Classrooms Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building

The school will host a walk-through for families on Wednesday and "Opening Day" will be Thursday.

"I want to reassure you that we understand many parents may need to be near their children on their first day(s) of school and you will be welcome," Page wrote.

Now I just returned from bringing my grand daughter to day care in Monroe. The same town of the new Sandy Hook elementary. I am a little aggravated. As I took her there and past the park I noticed that the parking lot which is very large is FULL of media trucks. I just wish they would stay away and leave these people alone. The kids and family do not need cameras in their face as they try to return to some kind of normalcy.

Rachel D'Avino: Fun-Loving But Serious About Aiding Those With Autism

At 29, and close to completing her education, D'Avino had recently landed a temporary job at Sandy Hook Elementary School, about a half-hour's drive from her home in Bethlehem. She was supposed to start in early December, but she fell ill with the flu, Carmody said, so her start date was pushed back to Wednesday, Dec. 12.

That night, D'Avino and her fiancé went to their friend Lia Greenley's house in New Britain. They decided to make a time capsule because, "well, it was 12-12-12 and it was a nerdy thing to do," Greenley said.

D'Avino wrote a note to future Americans. It read, in part, "it is my DREAM that you know my name as a leader in behavior analysis for children and adults with autism. However, I will be thrilled if I make a few people have an easier, more enjoyable life."

She signed the message Rachel Marie D'Avino, MS.

Two days later, a gunman shot his way into the school, killing her and five other educators, along with 20 children. D'Avino was so new that her name did not appear on any official school rosters.

Thanks for posting those very touching and personal stories. Tomorrow will be a difficult day for all involved with returning to school and especially for the young students who will not see these wonderful educators and classmates who lost their lives. Uggh I pray that they all get through this difficult time and soon find peace in their world.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sandy-hook...-desk-building/story?id=18107267#.UORDEneWTIU
Sandy Hook Classrooms Recreated Down to Crayons on the Desk in New Building

The school will host a walk-through for families on Wednesday and "Opening Day" will be Thursday.

"I want to reassure you that we understand many parents may need to be near their children on their first day(s) of school and you will be welcome," Page wrote.

I can understand why they are trying to replicate the classrooms as they were at Sandy Hook, but I really do not think this is a good idea. Long ago after a traumatic experience, every time I saw someone wearing a certain color, I would panic. I had ptsd for several years and all it took was seeing a certain color. I am afraid that everything being the same will bring the children back to that day. Wonder if psychologist or other were consulted in this regard.

Thanks for posting those very touching and personal stories. Tomorrow will be a difficult day for all involved with returning to school and especially for the young students who will not see these wonderful educators and classmates who lost their lives. Uggh I pray that they all get through this difficult time and soon find peace in their world.

It seems like some of the families are starting to open up a bit more with some of the interviews - maybe as part of the grieving process? I know if it were me I would want the world to know about my loved one.

I don't know if links to blogs are allowed but Noah Pozner's grandmother has been posting about him, the family, how they are coping. She wants people to remember him not as a victim but as a little boy full of life. I can't read anything she posts without crying.

Just a little update, FYI the weapon that is being said to have been used is not actually an assault weapon. By definition, a true assault rifle is fully automatic. Fully automatic weapons are already quite heavily regulated.

The media uses the word "assualt" in conjunction with common semi-automatic firearms because it likes to add drama and villify objects, not behavior. The assault weapon phrase makes it sound like a true military weapon and it is not.

We should not lose sight of the fact that there are literally MILLIONS of these semi-automatic firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens that will never participate in a crime. The issue at hand is actually the irrational actions of an insane person.

The Bushmaster XM-15 used at Sandy Hook is what is commonly called an assault weapon. It's a varient of the M4 military carbine limited to semi automatic mode so it can be legally sold to civilians. It uses the same 30 round magazine and can fire standard NATO military rounds. Most of the parts on the Bushmater are identical to the M4 and M4 military accessories will fit on the Bushmaster. This is not firearm designed for hunting deer or plinking at cans, it's designed for the needs of a modern battlefield.

It seems like some of the families are starting to open up a bit more with some of the interviews - maybe as part of the grieving process? I know if it were me I would want the world to know about my loved one.

I don't know if links to blogs are allowed but Noah Pozner's grandmother has been posting about him, the family, how they are coping. She wants people to remember him not as a victim but as a little boy full of life. I can't read anything she posts without crying.

To talk and connect with others is a very real need when going through the grief process. I would hope WS would allow links to those blogs, since am sure they were written to be read by others.

Sandy Hook Shooting: The Speculation About Adam Lanza Must Stop

There are exactly two rock-solid, actionable facts in the Adam Lanza story. He lived in a home filled with firearms. And had he not had access to semi-automatic weapons, he would not have been able to take 26 lives in a matter of minutes. These facts are now being buried in an onslaught of supposition about the effects of video game violence and the need — which I otherwise entirely agree with — for more and better mental health care for America’s kids.

The incontrovertible facts of the Lanza case are, for now, what we as a nation should be focusing on as we come to terms with the Newtown tragedy. All the rest is just talk.

Sandy Hook Shooting: The Speculation About Adam Lanza Must Stop

There are exactly two rock-solid, actionable facts in the Adam Lanza story. He lived in a home filled with firearms. And had he not had access to semi-automatic weapons, he would not have been able to take 26 lives in a matter of minutes. These facts are now being buried in an onslaught of supposition about the effects of video game violence and the need — which I otherwise entirely agree with — for more and better mental health care for America’s kids.

The incontrovertible facts of the Lanza case are, for now, what we as a nation should be focusing on as we come to terms with the Newtown tragedy. All the rest is just talk.

I agree, video games, violent or not are way far removed from the presence and access of weapons. That is just a really dumb comparison at this point!

The media are absolute heartless vultures. But alas, we rely on them so they'll always carry on hounding people involved in the story!

assault rifle
noun
a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usually modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.

The Bushmaster XM-15 used at Sandy Hook is what is commonly called an assault weapon. It's a varient of the M4 military carbine limited to semi automatic mode so it can be legally sold to civilians. It uses the same 30 round magazine and can fire standard NATO military rounds. Most of the parts on the Bushmater are identical to the M4 and M4 military accessories will fit on the Bushmaster. This is not firearm designed for hunting deer or plinking at cans, it's designed for the needs of a modern battlefield.

I had stepped away from the thread while I was away for Christmas and New Year's. I'm not sure if it has been posted here but I think the following is important to note:

The following report from Pete Williams of NBC News (IMO one of the more credible journalists working this story) has learned from federal and state authorities that no assault rifle was used in the shooting and in fact, they only recovered 4 hand guns from inside the school:
<modsnip>

This information raises a lot of questions... Thoughts?

assault rifle
noun
a military rifle capable of both automatic and semiautomatic fire, utilizing an intermediate-power cartridge.
a nonmilitary weapon modeled on the military assault rifle, usually modified to allow only semiautomatic fire.

Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) that share designs with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[7]

bbm, Like I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member