Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for addressing this issue. As the fiance of a first responder who experienced the worst of Katrina and then spent months afterwards recovering bodies, I saw firsthand how this affected him. First responders have the "can handle anything" attitude and are often able to deal with the tragedies with the comfort of knowing about the ones they were able to help and save. But there wasn't anything they could do in this situation and believe me, it hurts them and will forever scar them. Especially since it involved children.

First responders are motivated to help people in the tragic and most gruesome of situations because they care so much. They may seem tough and are able to compartmentalize their feelings while getting the job done, but later, when it is over, the tragedy and horror they experienced can creep up on them and overwhelm them.

Especially in their sleep. Your sleep should be the one time when you can shake off the horrors of real life and get some some restoring rest but not for those with PTSD. They may start to avoid sleep because they know that they will be confronted with images they would rather forget or will relive situations that they can't escape from.

How sad that these first responders aren't given compassionate leave. How ironic that their mental health is not considered a genuine health issue in a situation where proper mental illness care might have prevented this situation from happening in the first place. First responders and their families in New Orleans after Katrina were offered a week or two of leave along with free plane tickets and accommodations to different cities. My late fiance took this leave so he could attend the funeral of his father (who died of cancer, not in Katrina). It was immensely helpful for him to get the "geographic cure" to get away from New Orleans and to be surrounded by his family.

I hope that something is done to help the first responders because they need our support right now. All to often, they are the forgotten victims in tragedies like this.

Excellent point. This IMO needs to be addressed!!!!

Not necessary as far as I'm concerned and I'm not dissing him, either.

Bad reporting happened; Williams was by no means the only one afflicted.

His information conflicts with that from Lt. Vance and the medical examiner.

I'm going with the official information.

Some folks are running with the other information, though.

I googled it. :)

Exactly. ME who examined the victims said they were killed with a rifle. There was a lot of inaccurate reporting early on.

The lawsuit has been withdrawn.

http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Lawsuit-sparks-outrage-4158508.php

" Days after filing a $100 million lawsuit claiming the state failed to adequately protect the students at Sandy Hook Elementary School -- resulting in outrage from area residents and the legal community -- a New Haven lawyer withdrew it Monday."

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/news/article/Lawsuit-sparks-outrage-4158508.php#ixzz2GggbgYmh

The one family I thought might or will sue is the family of the teacher who was a sub. Family members stated "she couldn't lock her door cause she was a substitute and they are not given keys to class rooms" I have no link to where that was said.
I do feel like this is wrong,( not having a key to the room) this sub was going to be there for a while the regular teacher was out on pregnancy leave. Could she had time to lock door if she did have keys to class room?

‘Adopt a Newtown Cop’ campaign launched by yoga studio for Sandy Hook’s traumatized first responders

Police officers who were traumatized by the horrific scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., last month and are now running out of paid sick and vacation time may soon be getting some financial help from an unlikely source: a yoga studio.

Linda Antignani, founder of Mother's Embrace Yoga in nearby Shelton, Conn., contacted the Newtown Police Dept. to ask what she could do to help after hearing about officers who have been unable to work in the wake of the Dec. 14 massacre, when a gunman opened fire, killing 20 children and 6 adults. The result: an "Adopt a Cop" fund benefiting the traumatized officers.

According to the union representing the officers, those suffering from post-traumatic stress are not entitled to worker's compensation benefits under the current town statute and have been forced to use sick and vacation time.

JMO - After reading the interview of Veronique Pozner, I have been haunted by the mental images of the wounds little Noah sustained. I cannot imagine seeing it firsthand and my heart goes out to those that did. God bless the first responders.

Is there a link somewhere to the Veronique Pozner interview?

When I have a sub, I dread the amount of paperwork I have to do.

First I have the sub folder which is printed with those things that are always. Lunch time, which bus a child takes, who has orders for protection, who goes for special services, etc.

This is a couple of pages long.

Then there are the daily lesson plans and the accommodations that have to be made for children. For instance, a child may have anxiety about being called upon in class and so on , but the child probably would answer this type of question about the lesson. And so on and so on.

I cannot even imagine how a sub processes all of this info.

hastings, the video of pete williams you linked originally is part of this video

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495

it aired on december 15th, i know this because i watched it live on december 15th.

a lot of people were fooled by it later being reported by various other people as "breaking news", many of those people have since issued retractions after realizing they were wrong...

When I have a sub, I dread the amount of paperwork I have to do.

First I have the sub folder which is printed with those things that are always. Lunch time, which bus a child takes, who has orders for protection, who goes for special services, etc.

This is a couple of pages long.

Then there are the daily lesson plans and the accommodations that have to be made for children. For instance, a child may have anxiety about being called upon in class and so on , but the child probably would answer this type of question about the lesson. And so on and so on.

I cannot even imagine how a sub processes all of this info.

Yet another reason for having more than one teacher per classroom, or at least an assistant. I can see why that doesn't happen in higher grades, but, imo, it's ideal in all grades.

It takes weeks for me to get a new assistant teacher "up to speed" on my class--when there's a sub, they usually get 10-15 minutes at most, and that's usually for a "break" and that's when they get to check in and find out what's going on.

I understand why people are upset about the teacher not having a key to lock down. Our lock down keys are unique as in they aren't used for anything but lock down, and they're kept on a nail next to the door. But my kids are short and very young, so that's feasible. If keys were "too" accessible, then a concern would be that "anyone" can get a copy of the keys. *shrug*

As a teacher, this all is so disheartening--I can't possibly do everything "right" if something like this happened at my school. I would undoubtedly do something that would be criticized or at least "mulled over" long after the fact--by me if not everyone else (assuming I'd survived the attack).

At my school, we are supposed to close our blinds so we're less visible, but there are like...seven or so blinds on one wall and a door with top glass on the other. No window-covered bulletin boards (I'm jealous of ya'll that have those, btw). One of the doors is always locked to the outside and has a permanent window cover. The other door, though, is always unlocked during class. I suspect that may change in time. Those doors have lock-down keys and can still be opened from the inside without a key when in lock-down mode. I do keep some of the windows closed simply because it's very "fishbowl-like" and often super bright and hot if I don't. But of course I want to utilize natural light and I'm actually required to do so, so I don't keep all the windows covered, although admittedly they were the four days we had between the tragedy in Newtown and the beginning of our break. There are some taller windows so it's not all just buzzing florescents, either :)

I have 19 preschoolers and me and one other teacher. If we were, say, at free-play time when a lock-down occurred, how long would it take me to get all the attention of the kids who ignored the intercom (although tbh most of them quiet down when they hear it go on because they like getting to yell "okay thank you" after listening), get them all to drop their toys and get into the little hallway, while locking the door and pulling down all the blinds, maybe turning off the lights, too? I'd have to close the bathroom doors in the little hall, too, after making sure no kids were in there, because there are windows in the bathrooms (frosted, but you can see shadows and stuff). Also the windows in the bathrooms are so old and thin you can hear people talking in regular voices on the other side of the glass.

It's intimidating and frightening. Our bookshelves don't move unless they are flimsy and useless in that situation, because anything heavy enough to matter is bolted to the wall per regulations so the kids don't pull them down onto themselves. My school wing was built in the 40's and hasn't changed much since then, including single-pane plate-glass windows all over.

Sorry to go on and on...I've been able to remove the teacher part of me from this for the most part because we're still on break, but sometimes the sheer...gravity of the responsibilities of my job are staggering. When you pair it with my paycheck and then put all that with my student loan payments...egad, it's enough to make a flourish faint. :thud:

If I'm going to have to add "guard" or "armed guard" (not the gun thread, not going there here) to my job description, can I at least start getting hazard pay or at the very least a living wage along with that additional "hat" (nurse, mom, confidante, peacemaker with a peacemaker)?

if the segment i posted above where pete williams talks about 4 handguns being recovered at the school is not the same as the one you believe you posted please reply with the link you are talking about.

because when i click the link in your post where you brought this up it takes me to a video made by someone else that has this same pete williams clip included in it.

I just want to highlight the fact that this is not the video I linked to, I linked to a recent nbc news report by Pete Williams.

It's odd that a lightning rod tin foil hat conspiracy nut video pops up in this thread during a discussion of a legitimate, well respected journalist's video report. The two videos are completely unrelated and I wanted to point this out for folks who might not have had the time to view both videos.

Respectfully, I did watch the video from your link, too.
It's entitled, "Gun Inconsistencies in Sandy Hook Mass Shooting," from this post:

I had stepped away from the thread while I was away for Christmas and New Year's. I'm not sure if it has been posted here but I think the following is important to note:

The following report from Pete Williams of NBC News (IMO one of the more credible journalists working this story) has learned from federal and state authorities that no assault rifle was used in the shooting and in fact, they only recovered 4 hand guns from inside the school:

<modsnip>

This information raises a lot of questions... Thoughts?

It was a youtube video with clips of this reporter intermixed with images and text from who-knows-where, and the side-bar offers for my further viewing pleasure such titles as "Sandy Hook Hoax" and "Hired Actor exposed Sandy Hook," which seem to imply exactly that--a tin-hat style conspiracy theory...I was just waiting for the "ancient aliens" guy to come on the screen.

JMO :waitasec:

I am afraid we are going to go 'out of the frying pan and into the fire ' with some of these new 'improvements.' For example, the new requirement that the classrooms cover all of their windows during classroom time.. That bothers me. I think the students in classrooms are much more vulnerable to being molested or mistreated, than they are of being killed by a sniper.

And covering up all of the windows makes the kids vulnerable to assaults from teachers, aides, nurses and other students or their parents. imo

Also, my friend who is a male 5th grade teacher, ALWAYS had all of his windows uncovered and his doors open for his own safety. He did not want to be falsely accused of anything.

P.S.

Obviously I have no problem with windows being covered during lockdowns. I was talking about some suggestions that they stay covered at all times.

After reading these posts about the difficulties of Subs, it struck me that Lauren Rousseau the young sub who was killed, had only been at this school since November.
I can only imagine the pain & stress the regular teacher must be suffering, as she was spared, but the little ones who were her students whom she must have known very well, all perished. I cannot imagine, can there ever be enough prayers.

Earlier today I posted a video about an NBC News report I saw here: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495 but since I know YouTube is very friendly to use with WS, I did a YouTube search and linked to what I was confident was the video WITHOUT watching it; I apologize for this grave error and after just watching the video I shared I am deeply sorry for its content and, more importantly, for not reviewing the video first-- I was wrong and I am sorry.

The video I intended to post was about the type of weapons the shooter used during his Sandy Hook rampage. That report was from December 15 and NOT the Saturday Today Show before Christmas that I thought I recalled seeing it. The video contained information that turned out to be false. I am sorry for being guilty of the same kind of misreporting that I am lambasting the media for doing in relation to this tragedy.

According to the Newtown coroner and LE, the shooter used a semi-automatic AR-15, not four handguns as the report said.

I hope you will forgive me for this grave error. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my own failure to fact check this material but instead rely on memory.

I am afraid we are going to go 'out of the frying pan and into the fire ' with some of these new 'improvements.' For example, the new requirement that the classrooms cover all of their windows during classroom time.. That bothers me. I think the students in classrooms are much more vulnerable to being molested or mistreated, than they are of being killed by a sniper.

And covering up all of the windows makes the kids vulnerable to assaults from teachers, aides, nurses and other students or their parents. imo

Also, my friend who is a male 5th grade teacher, ALWAYS had all of his windows uncovered and his doors open for his own safety. He did not want to be falsely accused of anything.

P.S.

Obviously I have no problem with windows being covered during lockdowns. I was talking about some suggestions that they stay covered at all times.

I know--it seems like there's no balance and sometimes no reason or conflicting reason. Which just underlines the idea and wish that we never had to be in this position in the first place:(

I teach kids who are still mastering uh...basic personal bathroom hygiene. I am not supposed to generally help with this but obviously there are occasions where I simply must. I always make sure there is another adult witness, even if kid has to be uncomfortable for a few more minutes while we wait for said adult witness. It's just too scary not to. Obviously, this is not an issue except for in the very lower grades and some special education situations.

I "get" both sides of the window-covering argument. It's as though there are no "right" answers. I suppose it's not even "as though," it just "is."
Sad state of affairs.

Earlier today I posted a video about an NBC News report I saw here: http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495 but since I know YouTube is very friendly to use with WS, I did a YouTube search and linked to what I was confident was the video WITHOUT watching it; I apologize for this grave error and after just watching the video I shared I am deeply sorry for its content and, more importantly, for not reviewing the video first-- I was wrong and I am sorry.

The video I intended to post was about the type of weapons the shooter used during his Sandy Hook rampage. That report was from December 15 and NOT the Saturday Today Show before Christmas that I thought I recalled seeing it. The video contained information that turned out to be false. I am sorry for being guilty of the same kind of misreporting that I am lambasting the media for doing in relation to this tragedy.

According to the Newtown coroner and LE, the shooter used a semi-automatic AR-15, not four handguns as the report said.

I hope you will forgive me for this grave error. I am embarrassed and ashamed of my own failure to fact check this material but instead rely on memory.

:)
It happens. Thank you for the clarification! :seeya:

clears up the car issue, delete if not allowable, will look for a more recognizable source;

www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Police-No-Newtown-conspiracy-4162391.php
I am good with that source. It's a Hearst owned newspaper. Plus this from Lt. Vance, the spokesman:

”While the school shooting is still an active case, State Police spokesman, Lt. J. Paul Vance, said there was only one shooter -- Adam Lanza, 20, who took his own life at the scene.
"We aren't looking for anybody else -- for any other person," Vance said Wednesday, adding he's never heard of R----.
And the car confiscated at the scene, the black Honda with that license plate, belongs to a relative of Lanza's and not to R----, he said.”

Where is this "requirement" coming from? Could you provide a link?

A few people have discussed it as a new suggested step to prevent snipers. Here is an excerpt from a post by Flourish, several posts upstream:

At my school, we are supposed to close our blinds so we're less visible, but there are like...seven or so blinds on one wall and a door with top glass on the other. No window-covered bulletin boards (I'm jealous of ya'll that have those, btw). One of the doors is always locked to the outside and has a permanent window cover. The other door, though, is always unlocked during class. I suspect that may change in time. Those doors have lock-down keys and can still be opened from the inside without a key when in lock-down mode. I do keep some of the windows closed simply because it's very "fishbowl-like" and often super bright and hot if I don't. But of course I want to utilize natural light and I'm actually required to do so, so I don't keep all the windows covered, although admittedly they were the four days we had between the tragedy in Newtown and the beginning of our break. There are some taller windows so it's not all just buzzing florescents, either

But I have heard a few of my friends say that at their children's elementary school, the teachers have begun covering their windows, so no one can look in from outside, if they are close to the parking area.

The one family I thought might or will sue is the family of the teacher who was a sub. Family members stated "she couldn't lock her door cause she was a substitute and they are not given keys to class rooms" I have no link to where that was said.
I do feel like this is wrong,( not having a key to the room) this sub was going to be there for a while the regular teacher was out on pregnancy leave. Could she had time to lock door if she did have keys to class room?

Not sure how training takes place in this school district, but seeing that this sub started in November, I wonder if she had been at Sandy Hook for a lockdown drill before?? Or if the district trains their subs for these drills?

‘Adopt a Newtown Cop’ campaign launched by yoga studio for Sandy Hook’s traumatized first responders

Police officers who were traumatized by the horrific scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., last month and are now running out of paid sick and vacation time may soon be getting some financial help from an unlikely source: a yoga studio.

Linda Antignani, founder of Mother's Embrace Yoga in nearby Shelton, Conn., contacted the Newtown Police Dept. to ask what she could do to help after hearing about officers who have been unable to work in the wake of the Dec. 14 massacre, when a gunman opened fire, killing 20 children and 6 adults. The result: an "Adopt a Cop" fund benefiting the traumatized officers.

According to the union representing the officers, those suffering from post-traumatic stress are not entitled to worker's compensation benefits under the current town statute and have been forced to use sick and vacation time.

JMO - After reading the interview of Veronique Pozner, I have been haunted by the mental images of the wounds little Noah sustained. I cannot imagine seeing it firsthand and my heart goes out to those that did. God bless the first responders.

Is there a link somewhere to the Veronique Pozner interview?

Mourning Noah Pozner, the Jewish boy whose life was taken too soon

The interview with Veronique Pozner. Again be warned that there is mention of some of the injuries Noah sustained.

CLARIFICATION: We are not required to have our blinds closed all the time, just during a lock-down, and we also just naturally do it when there's some intoxicated person outside (not a great neighborhood). I hope I didn't confuse anyone! I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. We are required to generally have the ability to use, and actually use, natural light sources.

A few people have discussed it as a new suggested step to prevent snipers. Here is an excerpt from a post by Flourish, several posts upstream:

At my school, we are supposed to close our blinds so we're less visible, but there are like...seven or so blinds on one wall and a door with top glass on the other. No window-covered bulletin boards (I'm jealous of ya'll that have those, btw). One of the doors is always locked to the outside and has a permanent window cover. The other door, though, is always unlocked during class. I suspect that may change in time. Those doors have lock-down keys and can still be opened from the inside without a key when in lock-down mode. I do keep some of the windows closed simply because it's very "fishbowl-like" and often super bright and hot if I don't. But of course I want to utilize natural light and I'm actually required to do so, so I don't keep all the windows covered, although admittedly they were the four days we had between the tragedy in Newtown and the beginning of our break. There are some taller windows so it's not all just buzzing florescents, either

But I have heard a few of my friends say that at their children's elementary school, the teachers have begun covering their windows, so no one can look in from outside, if they are close to the parking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
musicmusette