Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CLARIFICATION: We are not required to have our blinds closed all the time, just during a lock-down, and we also just naturally do it when there's some intoxicated person outside (not a great neighborhood). I hope I didn't confuse anyone! I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. We are required to generally have the ability to use, and actually use, natural light sources.

I perfectly understand. I have the bulletin board sliders that cover the windows, we close them sometimes during our day as whatever is outside can sometimes very distracting for various reasons for our kids.

With all of these people wanting teachers to be armed, are teachers going to have to buy their own weapons, just as they have to buy supplies for their classrooms or snacks for children, etc. out of their own pockets?

I have been practcing jumping over desks, rolling, and leaping through the air to avoid getting shot by a weapon that shoots six bullets per second.

I like the bandolier look with carrying a weapon over one shoulder for myself.

clears up the car issue, delete if not allowable, will look for a more recognizable source;

www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Police-No-Newtown-conspiracy-4162391.php

Good find. That right there is why we didn't and don't allow that kind of convo.
(If it had gone the other way- conversation would have opened up.) But no MSM picked up on it as a story and it was mainly on agendized websites.
Thanks for posting.

ETA: this pretty well sums it up:

>>However, a number of other postings, including those by USAHitman, and others like Godlike Productions, a site for conspiracy theorists as well as those interested in UFOs and the lunatic fringe, remain on the internet.

The headline on one USAHitman posting reads: "Adam Lanza's car registered to Christopher Rodia: The conspiracy begins."

That site is run by Jim, a New Jersey resident who declined to give his last name. He calls himself a blogger and said posting stories like the one about Rodia is his "hobby."

He said he didn't verify the information he reposts from other sites to see if it's accurate.

"I have a full time job and don't have time to research the stories," he said. "I like to post things I find interesting. I update the stories when more stuff comes out."

"That's the problem," said Norwalk police Lt. John. "Some things are posted, but not verified."<<

And then we are going to have accidents of these guns falling of their bodies and killing some innocent bystander. Why would you think it's safe for someone to carry loaded guns with them on their bodies at all times? And how do you know all these teachers are stable?

Sorry it has taken me so long, but I have had family in my house distracting me from answering. IF you are trained, you ARE NOT GOING to drop your gun......ever!!!

When I say on your body at all times, I mean, in a holster, strapped to your body, in a holster, on safety.

That means that there is NO CHANCE the gun could just fall out and harm a child. EVER!

The only way this gun, in the hands of a fully merited teacher, who has no mental problems, who has gone thru extensive gun training, and has learned how to not only holster their gun, but to hide them would ever shoot a student or let some else shoot a student as long as they are around.

With all of these people wanting teachers to be armed, are teachers going to have to buy their own weapons, just as they have to buy supplies for their classrooms or snacks for children, etc. out of their own pockets?

I have been practcing jumping over desks, rolling, and leaping through the air to avoid getting shot by a weapon that shoots six bullets per second.

You won't catch this teacher carrying or buying a gun.

Sorry it has taken me so long, but I have had family in my house distracting me from answering. IF you are trained, you ARE NOT GOING to drop your gun......ever!!!

When I say on your body at all times, I mean, in a holster, strapped to your body, in a holster, on safety.

That means that there is NO CHANCE the gun could just fall out and harm a child. EVER!

The only way this gun, in the hands of a fully merited teacher, who has no mental problems, who has gone thru extensive gun training, and has learned how to not only holster their gun, but to hide them would ever shoot a student or let some else shoot a student as long as they are around.

Well I guess you haven't heard about the accidental cases where concealed gun holders either forgot their weapons somewhere or dropped it resulting in an injury to someone. Or trained people like policemen leaving their gun where a child got a hold of it and killed him or herself. Maybe you should just read some of "up to the minute" threads.

In short answer NO! I think the school should not only send them thru the training, but supply the gun/s they use. As I have always thought that teachers raising fund for their classroom absurd. They are a public school teacher and nothing should ever come out of their own pockets!

Well I guess you haven't heard about the accidental cases where concealed gun holders either forgot their weapons somewhere or dropped it resulting in an injury to someone. Or trained people like policemen leaving their gun where a child got a hold of it and killed him or herself. Maybe you should just read some of "up to the minute" threads.

No I haven't.

Can you give me examples?
Thanks in advance!

I read "up to the minute" several times a day. Most gun owners are responsible human beings. They wish no ill will and properly confine their gun collection to locked gun safes.

No I haven't.

Can you give me examples?
Thanks in advance!

I read "up to the minute" several times a day. Most gun owners are responsible human beings. They wish no ill will and properly confine their gun collection to locked gun safes.

Just little googling reveals many cases. Here is one:
"AURORA - Two people suffered minor injuries on Nov. 9 when a gun accidentally went off at the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora."
http://www.9news.com/dontmiss/299501/630/Accidental-shooting-at-CU-dental-school

Just little googling reveals many cases. Here is one:
"AURORA - Two people suffered minor injuries on Nov. 9 when a gun accidentally went off at the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora."
http://www.9news.com/dontmiss/299501/630/Accidental-shooting-at-CU-dental-school

This is NOT an incedents of accident shooting. Read further reports. It was another example of a student accusing a teacher.

I could be wrong, but that is what I am seeing as of now.

This is NOT an incedents of accident shooting. Read further reports. It was another example of a student accusing a teacher.

I could be wrong, but that is what I am seeing as of now.

It was an accidental shooting. There were no students involved in it.
But this is the case I was thinking of when I was talking about gun going off when dropped.

"The 71-year-old woman was shot in the rear on Jan. 13 as she dined with her husband and friends. Police said the man sitting next to her, who has a concealed-handgun license, had a gun in his jacket. It fell out of his pocket, onto the floor and fired."
http://www.khou.com/news/Woman-shot...recovering-has-been-a-struggle-122474134.html

JJenny, you are never going to convince me that fully trained teachers in arm gun safety aren't better protection then what we have as of now. Quote what you want, but a gun is better defense of another gun, then some one shouting and hiding!

JJenny, you are never going to convince me that fully trained teachers in arm gun safety aren't better protection then what we have as of now. Quote what you want, but a gun is better defense of another gun, then some one shouting and hiding!

And you are never going to convince me that having armed teachers in school is a good idea. As for quoting what I want, I only responded to your request for such cases since you never heard of them.

It was an accidental shooting. There were no students involved in it.
But this is the case I was thinking of when I was talking about gun going off when dropped.

"The 71-year-old woman was shot in the rear on Jan. 13 as she dined with her husband and friends. Police said the man sitting next to her, who has a concealed-handgun license, had a gun in his jacket. It fell out of his pocket, onto the floor and fired."
http://www.khou.com/news/Woman-shot...recovering-has-been-a-struggle-122474134.html

You are correct, this atrocious. Is there are others you can site?

Sounds like they are too busy doing other things. What good would it do it the officer is at the opposite end of a building counseling a student or checking a gas leak?

Security Offiers have multi responsibilities, many times they have to do perimeter checks around the building, check ins, etc

Go out and ask some security officers what they do the next time you go to a hotel, bank, office building, etc

At AVON, the cosmetics co. in Cincinnati, they have a pretty darn good all encompassing security dept. This includes walking through every part of the massive facility, cameras everywhere, employee check ins, and one armed guard per every shift,etc...

Look at how effective the Patriot Act has been..We need to beef up security at many public venues, we live in a much different society these days..Embrace the changes, lets don't fight against it

:bump: :goodpost:
Thanks so much for addressing this issue. As the fiance of a first responder who experienced the worst of Katrina and then spent months afterwards recovering bodies, I saw firsthand how this affected him. First responders have the "can handle anything" attitude and are often able to deal with the tragedies with the comfort of knowing about the ones they were able to help and save. But there wasn't anything they could do in this situation and believe me, it hurts them and will forever scar them. Especially since it involved children.

First responders are motivated to help people in the tragic and most gruesome of situations because they care so much. They may seem tough and are able to compartmentalize their feelings while getting the job done, but later, when it is over, the tragedy and horror they experienced can creep up on them and overwhelm them.

Especially in their sleep. Your sleep should be the one time when you can shake off the horrors of real life and get some some restoring rest but not for those with PTSD. They may start to avoid sleep because they know that they will be confronted with images they would rather forget or will relive situations that they can't escape from.

How sad that these first responders aren't given compassionate leave. How ironic that their mental health is not considered a genuine health issue in a situation where proper mental illness care might have prevented this situation from happening in the first place.

First responders and their families in New Orleans after Katrina were offered a week or two of leave along with free plane tickets and accommodations to different cities. My late fiance took this leave so he could attend the funeral of his father (who died of cancer, not in Katrina). It was immensely helpful for him to get the "geographic cure" to get away from New Orleans and to be surrounded by his family.

I hope that something is done to help the first responders because they need our support right now. All to often, they are the forgotten victims in tragedies like this.

The gun control thread has been closed for the time being due to the discussion getting heated, the thread going OT, etc. Do NOT bring that discussion here because our only recourse now will be to issue time outs.

I've seen a lot of talk about how terrible the media has been in this entire tragedy. I'm a journalist. I've worked for magazines and newspapers; both in fact checking, editorial and as a reporter (I can verify this if necessary). I think it is important for people to truly understand what journalists are dealing with, especially in the face of a tragedy like this.

Journalism, in today's culture, is a thankless job. Journalists today are tasked with the impossible job of making everyone happy. If we report on a story there are people who consider us "heartless vultures" who are bothering victims for a story. If we do NOT report on a story we are "heartless vultures" who don't care about real people. If we don't give you the information you want "RIGHT NOW!" we are lazy and not doing our job. If we give you the information you want "RIGHT NOW!" and have to amend it later to correct misinformation provided by sources we are lazy and not doing our job.

We are tasked with getting information from people that do not want to talk to us. We are tasked with writing a story that is both sensitive, accurate and unbiased. Simply put, you can not please everyone all of the time, but as a journalist today we can't please anyone, any of the time it would seem.

The inconsistencies seen in THIS tragedy and others like it really can't be avoided with the instant reporting that is expected of the media today. The information that is being received and put out there isn't made up, or assumed. It, generally, is information received from trusted, verified sources. The sources are going with the information they have at that moment and that information is subject to change at any time with an active investigation.

Many newspapers also go with the information that the wire services get; if that information isn't correct then every news outlet gets the wrong information. It is a slippery slope. You can have the information now, or you can have it 100% right. You simply can't have both instantly.

I agree...our Dad always wore a shoulder slung holster when he was in the FBI, completely strapped in, it would never fall off..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cweiss72