Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree with you 100% human! These families (like the others who have come before them) deserve answers. It's so sad that the privacy of the DEAD mentally ill murderer is worth more than the 26 lives of those killed at Sandy Hook.

They need to change the law so that once a perpetrator is deceased that information can be made public or at the very least shared with the victims or their families.The ME requested genetic testing and they allowed that, I assume any results of that testing will be shared if anything is found that might explain why he became a monster.

My daughter has her BA in Criminal Justice but she also has her teaching certificate.She started out wanting to be a Police Officer and took the tests to become a Officer but she also took the tests for being a Teacher.She told me it was just a few classes extra she had to take and she decided it was worth the extra time and money.Her first passion is a job in Law Enforcement but she thought about down the road when she starts a family,being a Teacher she would have the same schedule as her children and she loves to teach and help children. I was thrilled thinking it was safer for her:banghead:.With so many Law Enforcement being woman maybe many others did the same thing.She is like her mom lol A justice seeker, and a person who loves children.

A retired police officer probably would not even have any current teaching credentials. Things change over time.

Unfortunately, children have so many issues that a teacher is a social worker, psychologist, provider of food and clothing out of his/her own pocket for those children without, custodian, etc etc etc. The issues for teachers nowadays are immense not including keeping up with technology, signs of mental illness in children, signs of abuse, changing curriculum, learning about special needs and mainstreaming into the classroom, individualizing lessons, etc etc etc.

And of course buying classroom supplies out of your own money .

A retired police officer probably would not even have any current teaching credentials. Things change over time.

Unfortunately, children have so many issues that a teacher is a social worker, psychologist, provider of food and clothing out of his/her own pocket for those children without, custodian, etc etc etc. The issues for teachers nowadays are immense not including keeping up with technology, signs of mental illness in children, signs of abuse, changing curriculum, learning about special needs and mainstreaming into the classroom, individualizing lessons, etc etc etc.

And of course buying classroom supplies out of your own money .

Obviously if any of our area retired LE WANT to and feel confident in their choice to be an armed substitute teacher, then this will help

I'd rather have an armed retired LE officer with 20 years plus on the force spending maybe a few days a year subbing for a teacher if it meant helping keep those children/faculty a little safer, a little more assured there's a fighting chance against the future Adam Lanza's of the world

I'm more concerned about the kids/faculty safety than I am about how knowledgable the sub teacher is about teaching science or any other course

Obviously if any of our area retired LE WANT to and feel confident in their choice to be an armed substitute teacher, then this will help

I'd rather have an armed retired LE officer with 20 years plus on the force spending maybe a few days a year subbing for a teacher if it meant helping keep those children/faculty a little safer, a little more assured there's a fighting chance against the future Adam Lanza's of the world

I'm more concerned about the kids/faculty safety than I am about how knowledgable the sub teacher is about teaching science or any other course

This is what worries me, though. That our schools will have more need for protection than education.

The purpose of going to school is to learn. If the qualified teachers are replaced with bodyguards, what's the point of even sending our kids to school? Might as well keep them home.

MOO

Seriously? You are not concern of how knowledgeable a teacher is? I am pretty sure most parents are going to disagree.

This is what worries me, though. That our schools will have more need for protection than education.

The purpose of going to school is to learn. If the qualified teachers are replaced with bodyguards, what's the point of even sending our kids to school? Might as well keep them home.

MOO

FRAYED -- Seriously, when I went to school the sub teachers really just supervised a project that the students knew what to do or didnt really need ALOT of instruction on

And many sub teachers really only worked at my school maybe just 7-10 days out of th eentire school year

So are we over-rating substitute teachers ?

I'm simply describing my personal experience as a student

Seriously? You are not concern of how knowledgeable a teacher is? I am pretty sure most parents are going to disagree.

JENNY --- I don't think school admins would bring in sustitute teachers to oversee a class if the sub was totally clueless about the subject material

My point is, maybe some on this thread perception of retired LE officers is not the reality.

Maybe they are very knowledgable of the school subjects

And since if they are interested in enrolling in a substitute teaching program, enough to get certified, then I would feel they'd invest the effort to know more about their areas of interest, ie, science, math, etc

JENNY --- I don't think school admins would bring in sustitute teachers to oversee a class if the sub was totally clueless about the subject material

My point is, maybe some on this thread perception of retired LE officers is not the reality.

Maybe they are very knowledgable of the school subjects

And since if they are interested in enrolling in a substitute teaching program, enough to get certified, then I would feel they'd invest the effort to know more about their areas of interest, ie, science, math, etc
Sorry, but I've been a substitute teacher, and also, as a full-time instructor, have worked with substitute teachers, and there are in no way enough people with areas of interest suitable for providing adequate classroom teaching and supervision who are, or could be, substitute teachers, on a local, or regional, or national basis.

Lets say hypothetically there is a crazy person who wants to go into a school and shoot people up. A ban on assault weapons will not stop him from having an assault weapon. And armed teachers/security guards will not stop him from killing many people caught off guard before they can take him down. Having armed staff at Sandy Hook would not have stopped this from happening imo.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

As a teacher, we engage with our students and grow to love them in our own socially acceptable way.

So now a student that we have grown to love has a weapon and we are expected to blow the kid away. Yup. That works.

What if he or she is shooting or killing other students you love? Mo

Lets say hypothetically there is a crazy person who wants to go into a school and shoot people up. A ban on assault weapons will not stop him from having an assault weapon. And armed teachers/security guards will not stop him from killing many people caught off guard before they can take him down. Having armed staff at Sandy Hook would not have stopped this from happening imo.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I disagree. Someone in the office may have been able to shoot him and stop him from entering the children s classrooms. Imoo

I disagree. Someone in the office may have been able to shoot him and stop him from entering the children s classrooms. Imoo

Considering he had an R15, that is really very unlikely.

Considering he had an R15, that is really very unlikely.

Not at all unlikely. An armed school employee could have shot AL as he swept his gun across the room. The teachers were NOT lined up...they were not still and neither was AL.

What if he or she is shooting or killing other students you love? Mo

That is why a teacher is a stupid choice.S/he who hesitates is lost.

Do not forget. These weapons shoot six bullets per second.

That is why a teacher is a stupid choice.S/he who hesitates is lost.

Do not forget. These weapons shoot six bullets per second.
That would be .....
<modsnip>
Don't forget a trained armed teacher can save lives.
And yes most of us know how many shots per second ALs guns shot.
:moo:

JMO you have to have a certain mindset, to shoot to kill, i don't think (among the teachers i know or known) that many teachers would have that mindset. the teacher may sheild their pupils to defend them or try and talk the shooter down. But most teachers i know are pacifists, defenders of the underdog, very caring thats why they teach to share their compassion. To ask them to take up arms would be cruel.

Even LE who shoot criminals are put on leave and receive counseling. Many are never the same again.

Reading stories about the security guard who left his gun in the bathroom at school, and about the number of "accidental" shootings at gun shows the other day, etc., I wonder...

If we have "good guys" with guns in schools, aren't we more apt to have accidental shootings? And which is then more likely, having an accidental shooting or having a mass gunman/school shooter situation in which the "good guys" actually win (unlike Columbine where the armed security failed)?

JMO you have to have a certain mindset, to shoot to kill, i don't think (among the teachers i know or known) that many teachers would have that mindset. the teacher may sheild their pupils to defend them or try and talk the shooter down. But most teachers i know are pacifists, defenders of the underdog, very caring thats why they teach to share their compassion. To ask them to take up arms would be cruel.

Honestly if you are an armed teacher and you see your only chance of protecting your students is to shoot the culprit with a gun holding your students and yourself hostage and who has already shot & killed, I am certain -- just like most parents would -- you would shoot the gun-toting violent culprit. It's more about self-preservation & survival instincts than about mindsets or values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathan Dunn