Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun Control Debate: Newtown School Board Agrees With NRA, Seeks Armed Guards in Schools

Jack Lee, 5 hours ago

photo.jpg

It's been almost two months since the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, and gun control has dominated political discourse as a possible solution.

The National Rifle Association (NRA), however, proposed another solution — the National School Shield program — which aimed to put armed security in all schools. Gun control advocates immediately criticized and dismissed the proposal, saying that the solution to our nation's gun problems is not more guns in schools.

Apparently the Newtown school board disagrees with gun control advocates, as they have now requested funding for additional police officers to be assigned to its four elementary schools. The irony is that school resource officers are already prevalent in many public schools across the U.S., as nearly half of them already have school resource officers. This is not a new idea, as it was introduced under the COPS program that was established under President Clinton's administration in 2000.

Read more: http://www.policymic.com/articles/2...agrees-with-nra-seeks-armed-guards-in-schools

Democrats invite Newtown residents to Obama’s State of the Union address

By Chris Moody, Yahoo! News | 4 hrs ago.

Democratic lawmakers have invited residents of Newtown, Conn., the place where 26 people were slain during a shooting at an elementary school in December, to attend President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address on Tuesday in Washington.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced on Friday that she will bring a fourth-grade child from Newtown who launched a petition to change gun laws after the shooting. Pelosi declined to name the child, but said she attends a school near Sandy Hook Elementary, where the mass killing took place...

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...-state-union-address-215525316--election.html

So. Fla. students donate turtle sculpture to Newtown survivors

Posted: Today at 6:05 pm EST

BAY HARBOR ISLANDS, Fla. (WSVN) -- Some South Florida grade school children donated a loggerhead turtle sculpture to the students of Sandy Hook Elementary.

The Ruth K. Broad Bay Harbor K-8 Center and the Town of Surfside made the generous gesture to the survivors of the Newtown, Conn. massacre as a healing gesture.

The sculpture, named "Ruth," was decorated by the students themselves. Sandy Hook Elementary had a beloved pet turtle named Shelley.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/l...-donate-turtle-sculpture-to-newtown-survivors

Worker at West Windsor business references Newtown massacre during printer error argument, police say

By Alex Zdan / The Times, on February 08, 2013 at 10:29 AM, updated February 08, 2013 at 1:40 PM

A dispute over a printer at a West Windsor business led to police being called after an employee allegedly referenced the Newtown, Conn. shooting, police said. A printer is shown in a file photo.file photo

WEST WINDSOR – A South Plainfield man who made reference to the massacre of schoolchildren in Newtown, Conn. during an argument over a printer malfunction last week was fired from his job, police said.

Read more: http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2013/02/newtown_massacre_reference_in.html

Two choirs cause tension in Sandy Hook

2 student choirs draw tears, attention and some confusion

Nanci G. Hutson, Published 8:49 pm, Friday, February 8, 2013

NEWTOWN -- Schools Superintendent Janet Robinson was one of millions awed by the debut of 26 Sandy Hook third- and fourth-graders singing "America the Beautiful'' at the Super Bowl pre-game show in New Orleans. She was hardly the only one. Burly football players from both teams wept, a tribute to the young performers honoring 26 lost classmates and educators in a Dec. 14 shooting mourned across the globe.

Weeks earlier, a different group of 21 Newtown youngsters had stirred similar emotions when they sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on national TV.

Now, Robinson is in the center of what has gone from murmurs into a simmering dispute over which singing group truly represents Sandy Hook.

The drama over the two different groups started after New York music producer Tim Hayes decided to tap into the musical arts to help the Sandy Hook community heal after the Sandy Hook massacre.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Two-choirs-cause-tension-in-Sandy-Hook-4264515.php

I am sorry to bring this question to you. I am reading and hearing that Adam Lanza's car was registered to some meth head. Why am I reading this? Is it more lies? I tried searching the forums and got no matches! I have tried to keep up but missed this discussion and I'm sure you guys debunked it, but where is this information coming from? I thought he was driving his mom's car?

ETA: By saying I have heard and read, I mean some person told me. So, I googled and of course saw the conspiracy theories on the first page.

I am sorry to bring this question to you. I am reading and hearing that Adam Lanza's car was registered to some meth head. Why am I reading this? Is it more lies? I tried searching the forums and got no matches! I have tried to keep up but missed this discussion and I'm sure you guys debunked it, but where is this information coming from? I thought he was driving his mom's car?
You have been reading at some strange places. FACT: He was driving a car registered to his mother.

You have been reading at some strange places. FACT: He was driving a car registered to his mother.

Thank you so much! I KNEW It had to be BS but couldn't find the information I am looking for, but thanks for reaffirming my feelings. Ugh.

discuss the case and not conspiracy theories. JBean has warned before about that topic of discussion.

Thanks folks.

Chief Fuchs testifies at Newtown hearing

By Kaitlin Bradshaw on February 9, 2013

Redding police Chief Douglas Fuchs was one of the many local officials, first responders and family members who testified at the Connecticut Bipartisan Task Force on Gun Violence Prevention and Children’s Safety public hearing in Newtown on Wednesday, Jan. 30.

“I stand before you this evening as the chief of police of the Redding Police Department, a direct neighbor to the town of Newtown, a resident of the town of Newtown and one whose children attended the Sandy Hook School,” said Chief Fuchs during his testimony.

Chief Fuchs, along with two Redding officers and Redding EMS, was among the first responders to what law enforcement called “an active shooter response to a school.”

Read more:
http://www.thereddingpilot.com/8209/chief-fuchs-testifies-at-newtown-hearing/

discuss the case and not conspiracy theories. JBean has warned before about that topic of discussion.

Thanks folks.
Nurse...
what conspiracy it is if Lanza was or wasn't in school a day before the shooting (one way or another) ... - one way or another it has nothing to do with some conspiracy etc...

Like it was reported in Main Media many times .. before they squashed it with "he wasn't there a day before" .. or "they weren't sure if he was there a day before or not".

But what conspiracy though..

Like it's here for example:

"Ticking timebomb": Gun maniac Adam Lanza rowed with four staff members at school where he massacred 26 victims
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/connecticut-school-shooting-adam-lanza-1492742

-----------------------

or here:

Police: Shooter Had Altercation at School Day Before Rampage
Posted on: 4:23 pm, December 15, 2012, by Marty Cook
(CNN) — Major crime investigators from the Connecticut state police on Saturday were combing “every crack and crevice” of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, a day after a gunman shot dead 20 students and six adults before apparently killing himself.

Vance said police are already talking to the one wounded adult at the school, a woman who has not been named.

“She has been treated and she’ll be instrumental in this investigation, as I’m sure you can understand,” Vance said.

On Thursday, the day before the shootings, Lanza was involved in some kind of altercation at Sandy Hook Elementary, a law enforcement source told CNN.

The disagreement was between Lanza and four adults, three of whom were killed Friday, the source said. It’s not clear whether the altercation happened inside or outside the school, but it had something to do with Lanza trying to enter the school, the source said.

Read more: http://5newsonline.com/2012/12/15/police-shooter-had-altercation-at-school-day-before-rampage/

Or in tons more other Main Media articles ... (CNN including) .. What conspiracy? :)

Sandy Hook Shooting Survivor Will Be Guest at State of the Union

Teacher Natalie Hammond, who was shot on Dec. 14, will attend the event as a guest of U.S. Representative Elizabeth Esty, the Hartford Courant is reporting.

Sandy Hook Elementary School teacher Natalie Hammond was one of two injured during the Dec. 14 shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead. Now the teacher will appear at President Barack Obama's fifth State of the Union Address on Tuesday, the Hartford Courant reports.

Newtown Victim Mary Sherlach's Husband Declines Obama State of Union Invite

Washington officials fighting over gun control invited him to attend President Barack Obama's State of the Union address Tuesday night in the House chamber.

Sherlach, whose wife, Mary, was killed in the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., on Dec. 14, declined.

He said that rather than be the nationally televised face of tragedy, he prefers working within a group that wants the gun issue addressed as part of a comprehensive effort to reduce violence. He wants to work with Sandy Hook Promise, a group that deals with more than just gun control. Mary Sherlach was the Sandy Hook Elementary School psychologist.

I've always thought that if anyone was going to file a lawsuit, it would be the families of those in Lauren Rousseau's class due to the reports that she was unable to lock her door.

However it still hasn't been revealed if Victoria Soto's door was locked. She was a full time teacher. She should have had a key and should have had time to lock her door while AL was in Lauren Rousseau's classroom. Did her door not lock? Did AL shoot his way through? There is speculation that while he didn't target specific people he did target specific rooms. I think there was mention that he passed by the first classroom and I recall an article saying that Lauren or Victoria's classroom was his old classroom.

It breaks my heart that there are so many unanswered questions and so many what-if scenarios. Like many I hope that Sandy Hook serves as a wake-up call not only for better mental health services and gun control but also for better school security measures. My kids' schools (elementary, middle, and high school) all have the same "safety" feature that Sandy Hook had - a series of locked doors and a buzz-in style system. I'll admit that it never occurred to me that someone would take a high power gun and shoot their way through. Before December 14th, I always felt so secure knowing that they had such measures in place. Our schools down south in Florida and Georgia had no such security measures in place. Anyone could just walk right in to the school.

I wonder if Victoria didn't have time to lock classroom and have kids take cover because of how close her room was to where he entered the school. It all happened so fast.

I wonder if Victoria didn't have time to lock classroom and have kids take cover because of how close her room was to where he entered the school. It all happened so fast.

But wasn't it said that she was hiding her students when AL entered the room? So that makes me think she had a little bit of a warning. It's possible she just panicked, and didn't think to lock the door. I find it weird that she wouldn't have a key, since wouldn't she have to open her classroom, and lock it up every day?

Raising Adam Lanza: Press Release

HARTFORD COURANT AND PBS’S FRONTLINE PARTNER ON POST-NEWTOWN TRAGEDY COVERAGE

HARTFORD (Thursday, February 7, 2013) – Richard Graziano, publisher, president and CEO of the Hartford Courant and general manager of FOX CT/WCCT-TV, and Raney Aronson-Rath, deputy executive producer of PBS’ flagship investigative journalism series FRONTLINE, announced today a special investigative collaboration that focuses on enlightening the tragic events in Newtown, Conn. on Dec. 14, 2012.

The Hartford Courant and FRONTLINE will join forces to examine the aftermath of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The news outlets will explore answers two critical questions sparked by the tragedy: who was Adam Lanza and what was the nature of his relationship with his mother?; and will this tragedy change the profoundly divisive debate over guns in America?

A two-part episode of FRONTLINE Raising Adam Lanza and Newtown Divided premieres Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 10pm on PBS (check local listings). The first Hartford Courant story will run on Sunday, Feb. 17.

“This tragedy has touched us all deeply,” said Hartford Courant Editor Andrew Julien. “There are important questions that still need to be answered and we are working hard to get those answers. Working with an organization like FRONTLINE adds depth and richness to our coverage.”

“The Hartford Courant knows this story intimately and deeply,” said FRONTLINE Deputy Executive Producer Raney Aronson-Rath, “They have covered the Newtown shooting more extensively than any other media outlet. FRONTLINE is pleased to collaborate with The Courant to bring this important investigation to a national audience on PBS.”

Read more: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...-adam-lanza/raising-adam-lanza-press-release/

Music world helps Newtown heal following massacre

When 6-year-old Dylan Hockley was memorialized at a service following the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, his parents were especially moved by one song.

A writer, Dushyanthi Satchi, had reworked the lyrics to the Leonard Cohen song "Hallelujah," from Dylan's favorite movie, "Shrek."

"Dylan's Hallelujah" begins, "It's calm, it's clear, it's a peaceful day, walking through the heavenly gates, hand in hand with teachers and my friends."

"That one thing — that song — has been quite healing for us," Nicole Hockley, Dylan's mother, said Thursday.

There have been many musical tributes to the victims of the Dec. 14 tragedy, some put on by world famous performers, others by local musicians and many involving the children of Newtown.

Professional football players were on the verge of tears when a group of 26 children who escaped the Newtown shooting, including Dylan's older brother, Jake, joined Jennifer Hudson at the Super Bowl to sing "America the Beautiful."
Adam Lanza case update: Less than 2 months after Sandy Hook shooting, Hockley family leaves home

Posted: 02/08/2013 • By: MATTHEW STURDEVANT, CTNow

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- Less than two months after their 6-year-old son Dylan was killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre, the Hockley family moved out of their Newtown home.

They didn't leave town or even the neighborhood of Sandy Hook, but they could no longer live on Yogananda Street, a few houses away from the home of the shooter, Adam Lanza.

Read more: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nation...andy-hook-shooting-hockley-family-leaves-home

Newtown leader hopes to remind nation of shooting

AP / February 12, 2013

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Patricia Llodra (loh-DRAH'), the first selectman of Newtown, says she hopes her presence at President Barack Obama’s State of the Union will remind the nation and its leaders of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and the need to overhaul federal gun laws.

Llodra is a guest of Connecticut Sen. Richard Blumenthal for Obama’s speech on Tuesday night.

Read more: http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...on-shooting/9HuWanjsCsstUHHnkzHp7O/story.html

Newtown sympathy cards prompt Canadian's preservation project

Author now living in Connecticut documents cards from around the world after school shooting

CBC News | Posted: Feb 12, 2013 10:10 AM ET | Last Updated: Feb 12, 2013 12:06 PM ET

hi-cards-620.jpg

The letters often brought mixed emotions to local residents, MacDonald said ((Ross MacDonald))

A Canadian author and resident of Newtown, Conn., is photographing and documenting the hundreds of thousands of sympathy cards received after the Sandy Hook school shooting in December.

Ross MacDonald estimates the town has received about half a million cards, letters and drawings from children and adults around the world.

"They're being stored in bins in the post office now," he told CBC Radio's As It Happens on Monday. "It’s being opened by volunteers who are discarding the envelopes and sorting the cards, letters and drawings into bins."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/12/letters-newtown.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member