Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the report just released, he had OCD, anxiety and was diagnosed with Asperger's.
No info that he heard voices.

That's why I said undiagnosed, I believe there was more going on with him than Asperger's and OCD, but I guess we'll never know now.

Although you can't purchase a hand gun prior to the age of 21 in Connecticut, you can still purchase a long gun once you turn 18 and apply for the certificate. He would have turned 21 in April.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/connecticut.aspx

As far as I know, he was never hospitalized for mental illness. How are they going to prevent people with mental illnesses from purchasing guns. How will they track this?

There are many untreated, undocumented people with mental impairment or illness in our country.

hi BeginnersLuck

I know .. But, That is the main part of the new gun legislation. Mental health screenings before gun licenses and purchases.

There is a record of NL taking Him to Danbury Hospital. In 2005 It is in the The Hartford Courant article from June .

http://articles.courant.com/2013-06...629_1_nancy-lanza-adam-lanza-danbury-hospital

There are some very good links here on WS and IMHO some very good discussions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi BeginnersLuck

I know .. But, That is the main part of the new gun legislation. Mental health screenings before gun licenses and purchases.

There is a record of NL taking Him to Danbury Hospital. It is in the The Hartford Courant article from August . It is here in this forum.
There are some very good links here on WS and IMHO some very good discussions.

What are they going to screen for? If they screen for things such as anxiety and OCD (which is what AL presumably had) that would include a huge number of people who are not going to commit mass murders.

What are they going to screen for? If they screen for things such as anxiety and OCD (which is what AL presumably had) that would include a huge number of people who are not going to commit mass murders.

http://www.governing.com/topics/pub...says-about-gun-laws-and-the-mentally-ill.html

Quote from article

"The fact that medical professionals knew Lanza faced some mental health challenges -- and yet he was able to access his mother’s guns -- became a focus of state gun reform efforts across the country in 2013. Connecticut, for example, passed a law that targets people who voluntarily admit themselves to a psychiatric hospital during the preceding six months; for those who fit that definition, he or she would be ineligible for a gun permit, a handgun eligibility certificate, a long-gun eligibility certificate and an ammunition certificate."

anything they would screen for is going to include a huge number of people that are not going to commit mass murders.

I still wonder if Adam didn't have undiagnosed PS .. the severe isolation, his body type, I just have a suspicion that as he left his teens and entered into his 20's that the issues he's had growing up developed into a severe mental illness, but because he was so entrenched in the house he remained undiagnosed.

I don't think it's good for anyone with a fragile mental state to isolate and feed their brain with violent material. He became obsessed then acted on it.

I just want to mention the below, because I rarely see it brought up:

Why is it not discussed that males are the ones that commit these mass murder suicides? It's important IMO, to study the difference between males and females and address the reasons why males are more prone to violent behavior.

I don't think it's good for anyone with a fragile mental state to isolate and feed their brain with violent material. He became obsessed then acted on it.

I just want to mention the below, because I rarely see it brought up:

Why is it not discussed that males are the ones that commit these mass murder suicides? It's important IMO, to study the difference between males and females and address the reasons why males are more prone to violent behavior.

I really would love to hear this addressed also

http://www.governing.com/topics/pub...says-about-gun-laws-and-the-mentally-ill.html

Quote from article

"The fact that medical professionals knew Lanza faced some mental health challenges -- and yet he was able to access his mother’s guns -- became a focus of state gun reform efforts across the country in 2013. Connecticut, for example, passed a law that targets people who voluntarily admit themselves to a psychiatric hospital during the preceding six months; for those who fit that definition, he or she would be ineligible for a gun permit, a handgun eligibility certificate, a long-gun eligibility certificate and an ammunition certificate."

That's quite different than claim that people who apply for guns will be tested for mental illness.
Because large proportion of population have had mental issues, if you count things such as anxiety, depression or OCD.

I think if he had walked into a shop to try and buy a gun that he would have had a hard time, he looks frightening. Or would they have been unable to stop him do you think?

I don't think he would have a hard time at all, nor would his appearance deter anyone from selling a gun to him. I'm pretty sure there's no law that says you can refuse to sell a gun to someone based on how they look. Even if there was, I doubt most gun sellers would follow it...all they care about is money.

Considering the super small proportion of people who own guns in America that commit crimes like this, I still think the best thing would be to not let Assault weapons be available to the general public. As long as there are weapons around that are designed to kill a large number of people in a short amount of time this will happen, because it is impossible to evaluate everyone who tries for a gun licence accurately. Let's face it, in this case it was Nancy that was buying the guns anyway, the people who were selling the weapons had no idea she was buying them for her clearly disturbed child. Any kind of restriction on someone like Adam would have had no effect. If the laws remain as they are then perhaps these kind of massacres are a price people are willing to pay for their freedom to own these kinds of weapons.

I don't think he would have a hard time at all, nor would his appearance deter anyone from selling a gun to him. I'm pretty sure there's no law that says you can refuse to sell a gun to someone based on how they look. Even if there was, I doubt most gun sellers would follow it...all they care about is money.

See, that is scary, if someone with Adam's clear difficulties could walk in and purchase an assault weapon without an issue, then what on earth can be done? Perhaps these massacres are simply collateral damage or the price of freedom and the right to bear arms.

they can and do refuse to sell to anyone they choose for any reason.

they can and do refuse to sell to anyone they choose for any reason.

There are still those that don't care and will sell anyway.

I was in a gun store once and three guys and a girl came in. There was no doubt they were doped up and wired on something. It became apparent they brought the girl with them to make the gun purchase. This is just one way that guns get in the wrong hands. Sorry, a bit O/T.

When I was in Virginia, there was a store with a sign that said "Free gun if you buy a sandwich". The sandwich couldn't have been more than a few bucks, and I doubt this little eatery place is going to be doing any background checks. Just one sandwich...that is how much human lives are worth.

When I was in Virginia, there was a store with a sign that said "Free gun if you buy a sandwich". The sandwich couldn't have been more than a few bucks, and I doubt this little eatery place is going to be doing any background checks. Just one sandwich...that is how much human lives are worth.

Holy carp!!

Considering the super small proportion of people who own guns in America that commit crimes like this, I still think the best thing would be to not let Assault weapons be available to the general public. As long as there are weapons around that are designed to kill a large number of people in a short amount of time this will happen, because it is impossible to evaluate everyone who tries for a gun licence accurately. Let's face it, in this case it was Nancy that was buying the guns anyway, the people who were selling the weapons had no idea she was buying them for her clearly disturbed child. Any kind of restriction on someone like Adam would have had no effect. If the laws remain as they are then perhaps these kind of massacres are a price people are willing to pay for their freedom to own these kinds of weapons.

I agree with you. Since Nancy was official owner of the guns, not Adam, none of the screenings would have helped.

That's quite different than claim that people who apply for guns will be tested for mental illness.
Because large proportion of population have had mental issues, if you count things such as anxiety, depression or OCD.

How I understand it as worded here in Ct which has been stressed from the beginning (all over every report,)by Malloy was about better access to mental health care overall ( for one to help stop future AL's )and then better record and bureaucratic trail that could be filed and accessed by all departments? At point of sale.
But with privacy laws that's tough .. So what the gun law is that voluntary / 6. Month admission stuff. ... Second amendment enthusiasts.

I also think it's possible that some of these guys (like Adam) seem to be competing with past massacres when they commit these crimes, almost like some kind of sick 'high score', with each guy out-doing the last one in their minds. Some of them may just come across as odd or strange, but would nowhere near qualify as needing mental help unless they chose to show someone what they were really all about, which they are probably cunning enough not to.

The guys from Columbine for instance, did not seem so out of step with their classmates, although they were clearly planning the massacre carefully.

I still wonder if Adam didn't have undiagnosed PS .. the severe isolation, his body type, I just have a suspicion that as he left his teens and entered into his 20's that the issues he's had growing up developed into a severe mental illness, but because he was so entrenched in the house he remained undiagnosed.

It has long been confirmed & researched that schizophrenia in males will appear in their early 20's (for women, it's much later).

Perhaps AL was beginning to show symptoms of schizophrenia & it went undiagnosed? He was at that critical age point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member