Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that is scary, if someone with Adam's clear difficulties could walk in and purchase an assault weapon without an issue, then what on earth can be done? Perhaps these massacres are simply collateral damage or the price of freedom and the right to bear arms.

Mrs G: With all due respect, for me personally, I have to protect myself which is a price I pay for living in a violent society (USA). The numbers/stats tell all.

And that is all I would like to add to that subject.

It has long been confirmed & researched that schizophrenia in males will appear in their early 20's (for women, it's much later).

Perhaps AL was beginning to show symptoms of schizophrenia & it went undiagnosed? He was at that critical age point.

What I have learnt is that onset peaks in late adolescence/early-mid 20's in both males and females. Age of onset then declines for both sexes, but there is another smaller peak in females later in life.

What I have learnt is that onset peaks in late adolescence/early-mid 20's in both males and females. Age of onset then declines for both sexes, but there is another smaller peak in females later in life.

From "schizophrenia.com"

Who gets it?
While schizophrenia can affect anyone at any point in life, it is somewhat more common in those persons who are genetically predisposed to the disease. The first psychotic episode generally occurs in late adolescence or early adulthood.

Genetic Link -- The probability of developing schizophrenia as the offspring of two parents, neither of whom has the disease, is 1 percent. -- The probability of developing schizophrenia as the offspring of one parent with the disease is approximately 13 percent. -- The probability of developing schizophrenia as the offspring of both parents with the disease is approximately 35 percent.

Onset by Age -- Three-quarters of persons with schizophrenia develop the disease between 16 and 25 years of age. -- Onset is uncommon after age 30, and rare after age 40.

Onset by Sex -- In the 16-25 year old age group, schizophrenia affects more men than women. -- In the 25-30 year old group, the incidence is higher in women than in men.

should we take the state's attorney 's lead and call him the shooter. I hate the thought of immortalizing him though history will never let us forget his actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody gets institutionalized nowdays. Especially before committing any crimes.
You have to actually commit a crime before somebody considers to lock you up.

Yes, it is hard to get a 3 day evaluation for mental illness much less a long term hospitalization. Insurance doesn't pay and laws prohibit it. JMO

I agree about the schizophrenia thing. We'll never know for sure, but it seems like while he always had serious problems, there had been an extreme deterioration over a short period of time. Whether that's because he graduated school, because of other things going on, or because he was developing schizophrenia, I'm not sure. But what he did doesn't really seem to go with Asperger's or OCD. Not talking to anyone except via email? While antisocial tendencies and rituals are characteristic of those disorders, it sounds like he was getting more of a psychosis and elaborate paranoia. If he was developing schizophrenia, and it was combined with his other disorders and the family's inadequate response, that could explain the sudden descent into violence. If it's true his mom was looking into facilities for him, maybe she had noticed a sudden change and gotten very concerned. He should have been in treatment - horrible situation. I feel it is very likely he was psychotic, but presented atypically due to the Asperger's, and it was just a disastrous combination.

It wasn't a "sudden descent into violence." He seemed to have been interested in violence for a very, very long time. In fifth grade he already wrote (in collaboration with another boy) an incredibly violent book entitled "big book of granny." where characters want to hurt children and granny's son shot granny in the head-the same exact thing he later did to his own mother.
And his mother wasn't going to put him into any facilities. Report says she even purchased an RV for him so he could sleep there after she sold the house.

It wasn't a "sudden descent into violence." He seemed to have been interested in violence for a very, very long time. In fifth grade he already wrote (in collaboration with another boy) an incredibly violent book entitled "big book of granny." where characters want to hurt children and granny's son shot granny in the head-the same exact thing he later did to his own mother.
And his mother wasn't going to put him into any facilities. Report says she even purchased an RV for him so he could sleep there after she sold the house.

BBM for focus, and just jumping off from the post.

If the granny book is assumed to be a warning sign that everyone missed, then why hasn't the collaborator committed similar horrifying crimes?

In my opinion, there's a difference between being obsessed with violence and acting on that obsession. Determining who is in the former group and also in the latter is the real challenge. I'm not sure it can be done.

What's an RV?

A recreational vehicle or motor home or a trailer on wheels.

I believe I read she did this because he refused to go to a hotel or something while the home was being prepared for sale.

The reason for all the stuff in the home being boxed up may be because they were going to stage the house for the sale.

It's very likely that this made AL extremely nervous, etc. Change was a big deal that he didn't handle well.

I notice Adam Lanza and Seung-Hui Cho share similarities. They are both reclusive in nature, especially Cho, which is a strong characteristic of him. Both wrote violent literature. Both involved someone going on a killing spree. Cho's literature like Mr. Brownstone and Richard McBeef center around issues with father figure and allegations of child molestation. Lanza had pedophile related literature.

Both Lanza and Cho had a soft spot for Columbine killers. Cho called the Columbine killers martyrs while Lanza had Columbine related literature. I would guess that Lanza thought the same about the Columbine killers like Cho.

I think Adam Lanza was a person who feared change and was angry he never had stability in his life. He could be an injustice collector, like Cho. Both look cold and have angry demeanor.

BBM for focus, and just jumping off from the post.

If the granny book is assumed to be a warning sign that everyone missed, then why hasn't the collaborator committed similar horrifying crimes?

In my opinion, there's a difference between being obsessed with violence and acting on that obsession. Determining who is in the former group and also in the latter is the real challenge. I'm not sure it can be done.

No, it's not easy. But I presume the collaborator isn't sitting in his room with windows blacked out by garbage bags.

A recreational vehicle or motor home or a trailer on wheels.

I believe I read she did this because he refused to go to a hotel or something while the home was being prepared for sale.

The reason for all the stuff in the home being boxed up may be because they were going to stage the house for the sale.

It's very likely that this made AL extremely nervous, etc. Change was a big deal that he didn't handle well.

Yes, he didn't like change. I presume that's why he killed himself. He wouldn't have been able to handle what was coming to him if he didn't.

No, it's not easy. But I presume the collaborator isn't sitting in his room with windows blacked out by garbage bags.

But what if--hypothetically speaking, of course--your presumption is incorrect and he is doing just that?

But what if--hypothetically speaking, of course--your presumption is incorrect and he is doing just that?

My feeling on that book was that both boys worked together on the Granny jokes but the rest of the book about killing kids was written by Adam. Just my guess.

I know he showed some signs of interest in violence, but I mean everyone on this site could be portrayed as obsessed with violence. I read about all these crimes and post about them. I agree the tally of shooting deaths is scary, but how old was that? Playing violent videogames or writing a violent story as a child is also not a huge red flag. Many, many kids do that and don't take it further. If it comes out he was making a lot of threats or attacking people, that would be different. Or if he'd written a manifesto like Cho detailing an obsession with violence, or posted on forums dedicated to violence. In context, the stuff on his computer looks ominous, but it really isn't that different than what is on a lot of kids' computers.

I thought it was initially reported that his mom had felt he was no longer in control and was looking at facilities, and his anger may have been pushed to a boiling point as a reaction to the fact that he was very against that? Did that turn out to be erroneous?

He was obsessed with violence. He has a spread sheet dedicated to mass murders-counting victims, how they were killed, etc.
I presume posters here don't have spread sheets counting mass murder casualties.
His mother wasn't going to put him in any facilities. Per report just released by authorities, she was looking for schools he could attend. She was even going to purchase an RV for him so he could sleep there while they sold the house.
He wouldn't need an RV if she was going to lock him up somewhere. I don't think facilities allow patients to sleep in RVs.

"She planned to sell her Newtown home and move to Washington state or North Carolina so her son could go to a special school or get a computer job, the report said. She planned to buy a recreational vehicle where Adam could sleep while the house was being shown to prospective buyers because Adam would not sleep in a hotel, the report says. He refused to leave the home and go to a hotel when the home lost power during Hurricane Sandy in October 2012."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/11/25/newtown-shooting-investigation/3696425/

Have they released the emails that he exchanged with his mother for months? I know he destroyed his own hard drive but have not heard if they found any emails his mother may have had.

Others claim she may have been in denial regarding his deteriorating mental health but do we know that? He could have been showing escalating violent tendencies towards her via email or even physically.

Have they released the emails that he exchanged with his mother for months? I know he destroyed his own hard drive but have not heard if they found any emails his mother may have had.

Others claim she may have been in denial regarding his deteriorating mental health but do we know that? He could have been showing escalating violent tendencies towards her via email or even physically.

That is a great point . I don't think so. And there is that point in the report that mother and son only communicated through email. Hmmm aren't suicides sometimes very copacetic and compliant to other close ones when they 've decided and created their plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found some old emails written by Nancy to a friend in the U.K.

Nothing really about Adam but some of the comments give us insight into her personality.

After buying a half million dollar house in a wooded area she complains about the deer that dare walk onto her lawn. Okay then.

Why would you want them on your lawn when there is such a high incidence of Lyme disease carrying ticks on them? I have considered shooting them, but have been told that I have to wait until fall. I know someone who is thinking that poison would do the trick.

And another interesting comment...

One lesson to learn....NEVER, EVER ask a clerk at Home Depot or Landscaper's Depot or ANY other place for their opinion about ANYTHING!!! Those people are SO dangerous because they ACT like they know everything and they are in a position to SEEM like they know a lot...but remember THEY ARE CLERKS!!!! They have a collective IQ of about 80.....if they had any brains or ambition, would they be working for minimum wage in a warehouse environment?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...sing-adam-lanza/nancy-lanza-in-her-own-words/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean