Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes locking classroom doors would help, however, children leave the classrooms to walk down the halls to go to gym, library, washroom, lunchroom, to go out to recess etc. We cannot imprison these kids, they need to walk freely and feel safe.

If point of entry were well controlled, the children could freely walk within the buildings. Several of our schools do keep classroom doors closed, not sure if they are locked though. The doors have a small window at the top third that has wire mesh inside the glass. Point of entry control is essential.

I'm becoming so disheartened at the enormous amount of media coverage in this case. This is sad, the deaths of all these darling children and teachers, but the nation's razor like focus on this case is practically guarenteeing that some disenfranchised angry soul is plotting a similar attack.

I think the town can't possibly look away - this is their horrible tragedy.

The rest of us can. We can look away, and stop giving this murderer so much attention. It's too attractive for copycats.

I'm out of this thread now, and will refocus my energies elsewhere.

Prayers for the families who are forever damaged by this horror.

I wholey agree with you... others do too

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031107/REVIEWS/311070301/1023

"When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1.

I don't understand what you are saying.

It's a great security measure.

Sorry, but once staff becomes comfortable with the buzzed in security they can become lax. I have been buzzed in manly places without even giving my name. Am a home health nurse and all I can do is shake my head when I am allowed entry sight unseen.

Sounds like a system designed to fail. Buzzed in, that's a great concept!

Yes, just like houses that have alarm systems, they still get broken into. Where there is a will, there is a way. Does not matter what security measures are in place when someone is on a war path IMO.

and he didn't use the buzz system!

If he was in an altercation at the school the day before then there is going to be a lot of questions and potential finger pointing from that.

Question: why don't we have these types of assault in airports? I think it is because there is rigid control at point of entry!

If point of entry were well controlled, the children could freely walk within the buildings. Several of our schools do keep classroom doors closed, not sure if they are locked though. The doors have a small window at the top third that has wire mesh inside the glass. Point of entry control is essential.

This could have happened at recess time.... We cannot imprison our kids in schools.

With his mother quitting work in order to take care of him, it sounds like whatever mental health issues he had were deteriorating. I think that she had the means to get him the care needed. The problem could be that he refused the help. I doubt she felt he was a danger or she would have had him placed into treatment involuntarily for evaluation.
I'm wondering about Paranoid Schizophrenia...it often shows up in early 20s.

Sorry, but once staff becomes comfortable with the buzzed in security they can become lax. I have been buzzed in manly places without even giving my name. Am a home health nurse and all I can do is shake my head when I am allowed entry sight unseen.

I remember as a kid, one would go to apartments and buzz many units, someone would always buzz us in, that was 30 some years ago, there has to be a better method for a school to put in place, like an actual real person or person's going outside to let someone in.

I think you are right, wasn't there a broken window?

Yes, and in the press briefing this morning LE specifically said that he was not let into the building but broke in using force.

If he was in an altercation at the school the day before then there is going to be a lot of questions and potential finger pointing from that.

I know, and I dread that! Schools have so many "altercations" (if by that they mean a heated conversation, complaint, argument, etc) - with parents and families and students. They usually aren't signs of an imminent shooting spree. How could anyone predict something that has almost never happened?

Assuming of course he did not threaten violence. Which would be a completely different story.

Money for what? This case has nothing to do with how much Superintendants make annually. They had a security system that you had to be buzzed in. What more could they put in place....are you saying we need to build jail-like-schools If someone goes psycho and wants to get in and kill....they will find a way. It is not the security here that needs to be address IMO.

Money to pay teachers more. Money to better educate our children. Money to be better equipped to deal with the Adam Lanza's of this world. It's not just about security. Adam Lanza was once a student. It's been reported that he was extremely withdrawn and socially awkward. How much attention was paid to this at his own school in his formative years? There are many, many Adam Lanza's of this world that do not go out and do what he did, but if we continue to ignore it (which may have happened in this case), then we are going to have many, many more incidents like this.

Education is the key. Education takes money.

MOO

It is very possible his problem was not with his mother, it was with the school. His mother might have been killed while he was getting the guns.

I think you are right, wasn't there a broken window?
One report said he shot out a window to gain entry. At the presser today Lt. Vance said he "was not voluntarily let into the school at all" and also that he "forced his way into the school." But he didn't answer directly about a broken window (or windows) other than to say that some may have been broken by arriving officers as they sought to survey and thus gain control of the situation.

New NYT article: Gunman Forced His Way Into School, Police Say

The point of entry was controlled, it had a buzz in system installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman221