Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's CT State Police's official news release from this morning:

On 12/14/12, at approximately 9:30 a.m., Newtown Police received a 911 call reporting a possible shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School located at 12 Dickenson Drive in Newtown. Newtown Officers immediately responded and requested assistance from Connecticut State Police. Ssurrounding police agencies also sent assistance to the scene. Troopers, both on-duty and off-duty, responded to the scene.

Upon arrival, teams of Troopers and Officers formed “Active Shooter Teams” and immediately entered the school. Teams performed rescues of students and staff, removing them to a safe location as they searched for the shooting suspect within the building. The building was evacuated and students walked hand in hand out to a safe location.

Teams encountered several students and staff suffering from gunshot wounds. The building was secured, the ”shooter” was located deceased, and Newtown EMS personnel entered to provide emergency care for the wounded. Eighteen (18) children were pronounced dead at the scene, two children were transported to Danbury Hospital and later pronounced dead. Six (6) adult victims were also pronounced dead at the scene. Teams located the shooter on scene; he was also pronounced dead. The perimeter was also searched and secured by responding law enforcement.

The building was secured and at the request of the Newton Police Chief and Danbury State’s Attorney, two Connecticut State Police Major Crime squads responded to conduct the investigation into this crime. Troopers are assisted by Newtown Police Detectives, Danbury State’s Attorney, and many Federal, Local, and States Law Enforcement Agencies

The processing of the scene began immediately with documentation of the crime scene and identifying and gathering both physical and forensic evidence. The urgent focus of the Major Crime investigators was to work with the Office of the Chief State’ s Medical Examiner to establish the identity of all the deceased victims. This was accomplished overnight and the next of kin were all notified that positive identification was made.

The family of each victim was assigned a Trooper or Officer to establish and maintain an open line of communication. This was put into place so families of the victims can have immediate contact related to any questions they may have and to also provide State Police investigators the ability to communicate with families without delay.

The families have requested no press interviews and we are asking that this request be honored.

The deceased victims have been transported to the Office of The Chief State’s Medical Examiner where a post mortem examination will be conducted to determine the manner and cause of death.

State Police Major Crime Investigators are continuing to process the school crime scene, gathering evidence and documenting the entire facility. State Police Detectives assisted by Newtown Detectives processed the interior and exterior crime scene. Teams of investigators flooded the community and followed each lead, developing extensive information.

A second crime scene was located by investigators at a residence on Yogananda Street. A female was located deceased inside the residence. This scene was secured and an additional State Police Major Crime Squad responded to this scene to investigate this incident. Preliminary information determined that the deceased was a relative of the “shooter” at the Elementary School.

Presently, the school scene is still being processed by detectives and it anticipated that this process will take several days. In addition, Troopers are continuing to follow any and all leads in this case utilizing Law Enforcement in-state as well as out of state as required.

Crisis counseling teams are on-site to provide support to the families of all of the victims.

The investigation is continuing.

I remember as a kid, one would go to apartments and buzz many units, someone would always buzz us in, that was 30 some years ago, there has to be a better method for a school to put in place, like an actual real person or person's going outside to let someone in.

It's actually usually a pretty good system. At my school there is a camera outside the door and when you buzz the bell, the front office worker asks you to say your reason for being there, say your name and hold up your license. You say something like, "teacher conference with Ms Jones, I'm Jane Smith" and hold up your ID. They check you out & reply, "report to the main office Ms Smith' and buzz you in.

The one time a man walking a dog found one of the landscaper's hedge trimmers laying on the front school lawn and thought he'd return it to the school so no kids would get hurt stepping on it, when he rang the bell while holding the trimmers the entire school went into lockdown mode and the police were called. So it does work.

I am really sorry if I offended you about my comments on the mother. I was just speculating on whether there was a direct link to the mother-son relationship. I am a sociologist and my area of study is substance abuse. I have found that many people with mental illness use substances to help but it can cause moodiness, impatience and for parents inconsistently affectionate and stern. I was not trying to disparage her memory just speculating. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Thanks Davereid those are all good points and if that is what you posted prior there is no problem with it at all.

I am mainly referring to being responsible in what we post here and this is not directed at you, but rather in general.

I don't think we know enough about mom or any family members at this time to even say she was "disturbed?" as has been posted. Primarily what I have seen written about mom was that she was nurturing, caring and she left her job to care for her son. I also saw an article that said she was rigid.

The mother was killed by her own son and she is an unfortunate victim at this time. As things develop more and becomes known we will have a better understanding of the family dynamics.

It is very possible his problem was not with his mother, it was with the school. His mother might have been killed while he was getting the guns.

IF there was an altercation at the school the day before, I am wondering if mom wanted to go back to work and she was not needed or refused in some way? She did quit to take care of him and maybe he resented that?

I don't know...

The point of entry was controlled, it had a buzz in system installed.
Sounds like a sophisticated doorbell.

However the points on entry in most schools are MANY, in my son's school there are pieces of paper on certain hallway doors with a stop sign and a little warning on them but they do little good to stop the lazy parents who still use them because they do not want to walk the extra distance to the main doors. Yes I have pointed this out to school officials but it still goes on daily in his school and most likely in all other schools across the nation.

NBC is reporting that he was in an altercation with 4 adults at school on the 13th and 3 of them are now dead, the 4th wasn't in school at that time. If that is true and i take the media with a pinch of salt, that 4th person can answer a lot of questions.

"Our investigators at the crime scene ... did produce some very good evidence in this investigation that our investigators will be able to use in, hopefully, painting the complete picture as to how - and more importantly why - this occurred," Connecticut State Police Lieutenant Paul Vance told a news conference.

Vance did not describe the evidence but did say the shooter forced his way into the school, as opposed to being let in.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15/search-for-answers-begins-after-newtown-conn-school-massacre

This could have happened at recess time.... We cannot imprison our kids in schools.

this. I understand this shooting like all others is heartbreaking and we all wish it could be made to never happen again but locking kids away, adding guards, metal detectors, etc everywhere to schools, movie theatres, camps, so on and so forth, I think, is absolutely not the right thing to do. I dont claim to have a solution (excepting perhaps better psychatric care, better attention paid to red flags, and mark my words in the coming week we will learn there were red flags) but sealing off most of a society to prevent what is truthfully a rare occurence is not right either (with all due respect, I know if it was my child it would not matter one whit how rare the occurance but truly, they are rare.)

Sounds like a sophisticated doorbell.

However the points on entry in most schools are MANY, in my son's school there are pieces of paper on certain hallway doors with a stop sign and a little warning on them but they do little good to stop the lazy parents who still use them because they do not want to walk the extra distance to the main doors. Yes I have pointed this out to school officials but it still goes on daily in his school and most likely in all other schools across the nation.

It does not go on in schools around here. Ours have a buzz in system but only two in-doors. The front, controlled by the front desk lock-out, and the cafeteria door that's only accessible from the outside at any time with a key.

My first "nurse" thought was Fragile X!
:twocents:

I have no proof!
just my gut!

He wouldn't have been as high functioning if he had Fragile X if able to drive. Aspergers sounds right on the money to me, with a bonus of hateful anger! Possibly RADs also.

Money to pay teachers more. Money to better educate our children. Money to be better equipped to deal with the Adam Lanza's of this world. It's not just about security. Adam Lanza was once a student. It's been reported that he was extremely withdrawn and socially awkward. How much attention was paid to this at his own school in his formative years? There are many, many Adam Lanza's of this world that do not go out and do what he did, but if we continue to ignore it (which may have happened in this case), then we are going to have many, many more incidents like this.

Education is the key. Education takes money.

MOO

He has reportedly been out of school for 3yrs now. Perhaps he had top notch care while in school...we have no idea. At my school where I teach, mental issues are addressed and help/education on these matters is what I would call plentyful. The government has given(in my area anyways) money to school boards for education on mental health issues and extra resources for such. Yes there are always some that are beyond our help and outside agencies are required, if parents agree to go that route. The problem usually lies when they graduate and enter the real world out there as adults. Who helps him then? What resources were available for him?

At the end of her show on MSNBC today Melissa Harris Perry read this quote:
Children Chapter IV
by Khalil Gibran

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, "Speak to us of Children."
And he said:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you, yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as he loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.
http://allpoetry.com/poem/8511835-Children_Chapter_IV-by-Khalil_Gibran
:tears:

Lanza was an ex-student of Sandy Hook:

In Newtown High School, he dressed more formally than other students, often wearing khaki pants, button-down shirts and at times, a pocket protector, said Tim Arnone who first met Lanza at Sandy Hook.

The two of them joined the high school’s audio-visual club, also known as a tech club, and spent free periods playing video games at the school’s television station studio.

“It was definitely the nerdiest club in the school. We called it the tech club. We had our own little section in the room,” Arnone, 20, told Reuters.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/15/adam-lanza-returned-to-sandy-hook-as-mass-killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove