Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are all better off focusing on the words of Robbie Parker, father of Emile Parker killed in the shooting.

Among the things Robbie Parker had to say about how the family is dealing with the loss of Emilie, he told those gathered:

“Let it [be] something that inspires us to be better, to be more compassionate and humble people. Let us please keep the sentiments of love that we feel for our families, and the compassion that we feel for others– even complete strangers– and keep them with us at all times, not just in times of sorrow and tragedy. And may we do this so that we can better all of our communities, and all of our cities and all our states, so we can make everyone, everywhere in this country feel safe.”

Thank you. What a wise man, to be able to say this in the midst of his own very personal grief.

I am curious to know exactly when victim, Nancy died. How long prior to the school massacre, and what precipitated her killing. Was it always the plan? Why the school? Why that classroom?

These questions interest me.

I would guess they will be able to give an approximate time of death eventually. But what precipitated it and why he chose the victims he chose may never be known. One of the news articles mentioned that he destroyed his computer hard drive and that the FBI will try to reconstruct it. Maybe there are clues there.

In any case, the destruction of the hard drive suggests to me that this was methodical, that he did at least some prior planning.

This is off topic of the current course of discussion, I woke up this morning to this and thought it was a very compelling article from a mom who wants to open up national discussion on mental health.

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

If it has been posted already, my apologies~

Thank you for posting this..
"Micheal" could be my brother. mental health issues are real people... people need to be aware... Some people are BORN with mental health issues, it is not caused because of the way these people are raised...IMO.

Rivera wanted the world to know how horrible these people were being treated ,he did not say close them down and throw them into the street.

In the seventies Geraldo Rivera was my hero for exposing how horrendous mental patients were treated.My mom was manic depressive and told me horror stories of what was done to her and what I saw with my own 2 eyes as a very young child.Of course that was before Casey Anthony and Jose Baez.Now I hate him.

Willowbrook State School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

early 1972, Geraldo Rivera, then an investigative reporter for WABC-TV in New York, conducted a series of investigations at Willowbrook uncovering a host of deplorable conditions, including overcrowding, inadequate sanitary facilities, and physical and sexual abuse of residents by members of the school's staff. The exposé, entitled Willowbrook: The Last Disgrace, garnered national attention and won a Peabody Award for Rivera.[6] Rivera later appeared on the nationally televised Dick Cavett Show with film of patients at the

I didn't read through all the threads yet so someone may have already responded. The facility that Geraldo exposed was for Developmentally Disabled,not Psychiatric. So he in fact had nothing to do with Mental Health facilities being closed.

Sorry if this has already been brought up but I think maybe mother Nancy could have been a survivalist. There is a large movement of people who are antigovernment who believe they need to prepare for a revolution or the end of the world etc.

That could explain her collection of assault rifles.

Headline roundup:

Guardian timeline.

Newtown Shooting Ratchets Up School Security Concerns Elsewhere (Hartford Courant)

What Happened in the Newtown School Shooting (Mother Jones)

Obama to visit Newtown shooting survivors to comfort, pray (Detroit Free Press)

Staffers hailed as heroes after Conn. shooting (AP)

Governor: Gunman shot self as first responders closed in (AP)
Education officials said they had found no link between Lanza's mother and the school, contrary to news reports that said she was a teacher there. Investigators said they believe Adam Lanza attended Sandy Hook many years ago, but they had no explanation for why he went there Friday.
from the link immediately above

Sorry if this has already been brought up but I think maybe mother Nancy could have been a survivalist. There is a large movement of people who are antigovernment who believe they need to prepare for a revolution or the end of the world etc.

Last night it also emerged Nancy was a member of the Doomsday Preppers movement, which believes people should prepare for end of the world.
Her former sister-in-law Marsha said she had turned her home ‘into a fortress’. She added: ‘Nancy had a survivalist philosophy which is why she was stockpiling guns. She had them for defense.
‘She was stockpiling food. She grew up on a farm in New Hampshire. She was skilled with guns. We talked about preppers and preparing for the economy collapsing.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-turned-heartless-killer.html#ixzz2FBi8lE9X

CNN discussing all the misreporting that occurred and also the contentious issue of interviewing the children.

Last night it also emerged Nancy was a member of the Doomsday Preppers movement, which believes people should prepare for end of the world.
Her former sister-in-law Marsha said she had turned her home ‘into a fortress’. She added: ‘Nancy had a survivalist philosophy which is why she was stockpiling guns. She had them for defense.
‘She was stockpiling food. She grew up on a farm in New Hampshire. She was skilled with guns. We talked about preppers and preparing for the economy collapsing.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...us-turned-heartless-killer.html#ixzz2FBi8lE9X

If I was living on $325,000 + a year I would also have a fine doomsday refuge. Unfortunately I live on $35,000/year. :waitasec:

Six-year-old Noah Pozner (pictured on Nov. 13, 2012)
article-2248651-1688AC06000005DC-669_634x794.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Lanza-shot-child-11-times.html#ixzz2FCxhNs6E

:rose:

This little boy looks so much like my DH when he was six :(

I couldn't help noticing the easel in the background that depicts a tree with the caption "Cultivating Character". Parents, teachers, school administrators do their utmost to nurture all children to reach their full potential with the gifts and talents each individual possesses. The tree would have been a constant reminder to these youngsters that they can grow into remarkable human beings who will make a special mark in our world. No doubt, they were all very special, and I'm sure that each and every one of them touched many with their unique gifts and talents.

I was awake in the wee hours, unable to sleep whenever I think about these families and their grief. The days that lie ahead for them must be unimaginable having to bury their children during the holiday season. I'm sure that many of us here wish that there was something that we could do for these grieving families as we go about our daily lives. Keeping them in our thoughts and prayers just doesn't seem like it's enough. :cry:

I think we are all better off focusing on the words of Robbie Parker, father of Emile Parker killed in the shooting.

Among the things Robbie Parker had to say about how the family is dealing with the loss of Emilie, he told those gathered:

“Let it [be] something that inspires us to be better, to be more compassionate and humble people. Let us please keep the sentiments of love that we feel for our families, and the compassion that we feel for others– even complete strangers– and keep them with us at all times, not just in times of sorrow and tragedy. And may we do this so that we can better all of our communities, and all of our cities and all our states, so we can make everyone, everywhere in this country feel safe.”

It seems to me that Robbie Parker can be considered an example of the also wonderful people that live in the area. And we have all seen him on video. I choose to believe he represents the residents of this hurting community - not a negative one.

Okay, as usual the "underlings" behind the scene are delaying the press up-date! Not to take any thunder away from H. Wayne, he PLANS to release the COD & MOD of NL, (for WS members, shall NOT be a surprise) he MIGHT explain why her post was performed today vs earlier, he WILL identify the COD & MOD of AL (again, no surprise for WS members). IF questioned, he PROBABLY will address the TOD of NL ('cause this case will not go to criminal court)......and after yesterday, look for less "ex temp" discussion regarding ballistics information (lesson reminder to us all!).

UPDATE: Due to "stuff" as described by L. J Paul Vance, holding off on discussing information this on air..........will probably release it via paper news-release NOT SET IN STONE but Dr. Carver would prefer NOT to "chat" with the press again

Quester, the photo in your post (#432) shows a such a beautifully, idyllic little town. Is that Newtown? Such a stark contrast to the news photos of the school. Thank you for posting the pic.

Yes, it looks like Newtown, as far as I remember. The entire area looks like that, old, peaceful, rural - except all the schools are very modern.

*snip*
and I want to be perfectly clear about this to prevent any misunderstandings... Autism (no matter the spectrum including Aspergers) does NOT = mental illness. Could he have had both? Sure - but we do NOT know.

Actually Autism/Aspergers are listed in the DSM - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of MENTAL DISORDERS. Everything listed in the DSM is listed as a mental disorder. Autism/Aspergers are mental disorders. Disorder vs. illness is semantics. I do not believe that the DSM discriminates disorder vs. illness. Please correct me if I am wrong. MOO.

Marsha added that her nephew had been raised by ‘kind, nurturing’ parents’. She said she last seen Adam in June but recalled nothing appeared out of the ordinary. ‘Nancy was a good mother, kind-hearted,’ she added. ‘She wasn’t one to deny reality. She would have sought psychiatric help for her son had she felt he needed it.’

Lanza's aunt, Marsha Lanza, said her nephew was raised by kind, nurturing parents who would not have hesitated to seek mental help for him if he needed it. The Crystal Lake, Illinois resident told the Associated Press she was close with Adam Lanza's mother and sent her a Facebook message Friday morning asking how she was doing. Nancy Lanza never responded. Marsha Lanza described Nancy Lanza as a good mother and kind-hearted. If her son had needed counseling, 'Nancy wasn't one to deny reality,' she said. Marsha Lanza said her husband saw Adam as recently as June and recalled nothing out of the ordinary about him.

From the same article

This is a reality TV show now and I think a lot of people have gotten on board with that. JMHO

If I was living on $325,000 + a year I would also have a fine doomsday refuge. Unfortunately I live on $35,000/year. :waitasec:

To quote Robert F Kennedy...'we all breathe the same air'...

Everyone has feelings...salary has nothing to do with the level of grief one feels.

Actually Autism/Aspergers are listed in the DSM - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of MENTAL DISORDERS. Everything listed in the DSM is listed as a mental disorder. Autism/Aspergers are mental disorders. Disorder vs. illness is semantics. I do not believe that the DSM discriminates disorder vs. illness. Please correct me if I am wrong. MOO.
Though some say it should stay, Asperger's is being removed from the forthcoming DSM-5:

Asperger's syndrome dropped from psychiatrists' handbook the DSM (Guardian)

Don't Remove Asperger's From the DSM (dailybeast.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Masonjoe