Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would help but only if the doors remained that you could get out. IOW - if the button is pushed - then all the doors lock from the outside - but people in the room can still turn the handle and get out. I know - I wouldn't want someone in the office controlling whether or not me and the kids were completely locked in. KWIM?

Exactly!!! If someone were in the office and could lock down the entire school, that would be perfect in the evil mind of someone who had then rigged the place to explode. This is a difficult and complicated problem to solve.

I honestly can not imagine how the parents of survivors could ever send their children off to school again. I know I couldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how the KIDS themselves are ever going to be able to go back. I obviously never experienced this kind of trauma, but I still cried every day of first and second grade, begging my mother not to make me go to school. Nothing bad had happened there, I just didn't like it. I can't imagine being that age and having to go back to a place where such a horrific thing happened. Even adults will have trouble understanding, much less little kids.

It was bad. bad. I think they will release it eventually. Slowly- it may take months.
I am local and I teach an EMT who was there all day. He is in his late 30's and has seen just about every single thing over 10 years. except for anything like this.

:-(

Pray for everyone -
It sounds like LE and government will release what is respectful and there are many adult survivors who will begin to be able to verbalize what they saw. and what their job required them to do that day. People have said "evil visited that school" and from what I have been able to discern is that scene in that school was- is truly a scene from hell.

That poor guy!

Back when I was on high school they actually chained the doors shut with padlocks so we couldn't leave! How scary is that? Didn't last long.... Someone called the fire marshal and reported it.

There was a fire in factory recently that killed over hundred people (not in US). Apparently that factory had a lot of blocked windows. People really should think about what they are doing, and in a situation you described, it doesn't appear anyone was thinking.

It was bad. bad. I think they will release it eventually. Slowly- it may take months.
I am local and I teach an EMT who was there all day. He is in his late 30's and has seen just about every single thing over 10 years. except for anything like this.

:-(

Pray for everyone -
It sounds like LE and government will release what is respectful and there are many adult survivors who will begin to be able to verbalize what they saw. and what their job required them to do that day. People have said "evil visited that school" and from what I have been able to discern is that scene in that school was- is truly a scene from hell.
Your words affect me deeply. I will keep you all in my prayers daily. Thank you iSleuth

There was a fire in factory recently that killed over hundred people (not in US). Apparently that factory had a lot of blocked windows. People really should think about what they are doing, and in a situation you described, it doesn't appear anyone was thinking.

Nope, not thinking at all!

Seriously, we were teenagers, we got around it quickly. If we wanted to cut we just never went in;)

I work as an aid in a small elementary school, k-6 maybe 450 children. Our town population is around 4,000.

There are seven points of entry, four locked at all times, two unlocked inside the playground fence and double front doors which are unlocked. We received an email today that everything was changing. We've never had a lockdown practice, I've been there eight years.

All classroom doors lock from the outside only with a key but are unlocked inside...they are changing the locks So they can be locked from the inside but we cannot keep our doors locked. We have a buzz in system that will be used starting in January. And we start lockdown practice in January. Good changes I think, we've been very lucky.

As for Aspergers, every year I've worked we've had one or two per grade...never seen violence. Happy, quirky, sensitive to loud sounds and sensory items, very smart, some hyper, all very slim, some social and others not. I'm no expert, this are just my experiences in the classroom.

As for taking your child out of school and home schooling, I think it's a very personal choice. Also, many times students who excel in class and finish quickly volunteer to help others. They typically enjoy school and want to help others learn. Jmo, Karen

That would help but only if the doors remained that you could get out. IOW - if the button is pushed - then all the doors lock from the outside - but people in the room can still turn the handle and get out. I know - I wouldn't want someone in the office controlling whether or not me and the kids were completely locked in. KWIM?

Sorry I was hoping that was understood:) I would soooo not like that either. I'm thinking of keeping people locked out not children locked in, however several pages back I did liken it much to my dismay as "prision" like button controled automatic doors so I can see where you would get that. Apologies:)

I like what my son's school does. There are only two main doors into the building that are unlocked regularly. The front door is unlocked in the mornings until bus riders are all in. Once the last bus has run, those doors are relocked. The door on the other side of the building is unlocked until 9:15. After that you have to be buzzed in.

Unfortunately, they don't always follow their own rules, often just buzzing people in without really looking to see who it is, or leaving the gym doors open for delivery. Sadly, the front door that locks after the bus riders arrive is surrounded by huge panes of glass and is in fact, made of glass. It wouldn't hold up to much. THe other door is steel and set into a brick alcove with no windows. I think they should change the building facade and use that for the front of the school too, but it's unlikely they ever would.

I guess it might give someone a feeling of security, but someone with a semi automatic "bushmaster" will have killed the person reaching for the wasp spray.

imo
Yes, but perhaps the teacher in the next room would have been prepared with pepper spray.

Retrain a veteran as a guard in the parking lot and have a gate.
Preferably have that person know community over time.
Definitely know who is coming- expected
  1. passcodes - cameras
  2. stickers yearly per family car
  3. Have the office with all important people NOT mmediately at the door
  4. no Glass that anyone can Blow up or through and or drive through ( the killer did that in Newtown)
  5. Every single person know and practice lock down code WORD ( not words- a word not a phrase, maybe a button that plays a song - The lock down song- I dunno one you never play unless its a real lock down-
  6. even substitute office workers know the procedures.
  7. safety rooms that can fit a class AND a teacher!
  8. A lockdown feature for the door so you don't have to go out in the hall to lock the door while you are covering up the windows closing all the shades and getting students into a place without a view of a door window.
  9. Last but not least allow me to write a list of students I have observed through the years whom ( would be documented as SpEd) and whom i hope and pray do not ever have access to guns/weapons.

Thanks for reading.

Sorry I was hoping that was understood:) I would soooo not like that either. I'm thinking of keeping people locked out not children locked in, however several pages back I did liken it much to my dismay as "prision" like button controled automatic doors so I can see where you would get that. Apologies:)

In reality though, children are already institutionalized if they attend a larger public school. They're herded around like cattle, walk in lines, no talking, assigned seats, forced to socialize with same aged peers, scheduled bathroom breaks, etc etc... I don't see it as much of a leap

and that's a very sad commentary on our priorities as a nation. JMHO
Yes it is.

When we had that shooting here in 09 - that happened in a hallway in a high school during class change. It was only between 2 girls - but still scared the bejeezus outta me.

I called around - ended up actually talking to the guy that had outfitted Miami-Dade schools with their walk-thru's (metal detectors). I got a ball park figure that was $800,000. to outfit all of our high schools here. Now - the annual budget here is 3 billion dollars. YES BILLION with a B for ONE YEAR!

You would think they could afford 800k for metal detectors? Nope - no way. Our schools are not safe.

JMHO

She just had her son admitted to a locked psych unit (where he will be put on medications and likely not just one medication)..

But she did mention many Drs visits and many meds before it came to this... correct?

If she strongly encouraged his doc or an ER doc to admit him to a psych unit earlier (sometimes you have to stretch the truth a little bit, or over emphasize, if you KNOW your loved one is dangerous, but others don't see it)

I appreciate what you are saying, that was my thinking also in my original post. I think she was using your words above of "over emphazize" to make her point.

I have a feeling that AXXX's mom felt she could handle his problems all by herself. This is NEVER the case with someone who is severely mentally ill. Family members benefit from resources and mental health workers working WITH them.

Well now she is doing that. She is reaching out to the community at large isnt she?

You are absolutely right now it makes sense.

It struck me because I remember how tiny the bathrooms in my kindie class were. They are meant for one student at a time. To get herself and 15 students in that tiny little space and to remain quiet is incredible. She said she had a student stand on the toilet. I don't know if the shooter entered her classroom, but she may have saved all of their little lives. Regardless, she was very brave :(

U.S. Marshal for Arizona David Gonzales told the Daily Beast that Jared Loughner has as a “paranoid headlights” stare. But is there a medical or psychiatric term for that disturbing million-mile stare we’ve seen in the eyes of accused killers like Loughner and Charles Manson?
Yes and no, says Dr. Alan Hirsch, a Chicago-based neurologist and psychiatrist.
"There is something called reverse ptosis, which is when the eyelids are up higher than normal,” says Hirsch. “You can see the whites of the eyes both above and below the iris. It’s been associated with diseases like hyperthyroidism and with psychiatric diseases such as paranoid or acute psychosis.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4104659...nd-loughners-million-mile-stare/#.UNFNvqV8vzI

This killer's photo is also creepy because it is the look of a fixed gaze along with a flat affect (no facial muscles are showing any signs of a smile or frown).

My avatar is psychotic. lol

His photo reminds me of what people looked like in concentration camps.

Thanks to everyone's gathering of some facts about this incomprehensible event

The vibe is get is NL really tried her best to help AL in all aspects of his life. No she was'nt perfect, handling a highly disturbed son is alot of work.
Many people in the upper class areas are always keeping up their image of strength and they're always in control of everything

I think she was overwhelmed and also wanted to go it alone it seems and not solicit help from family, relatives, the Conn social services system

She was great at appearing to her friends, etc putting up appearances that life was all good and normal, perfectly fine in the Lanza family. Her huge mistake was not opening up ( at least as far as we know)

And if she had a secret battle with MS to deal with I can very well see her logic to make sure AL was taken care of in a group home. Because she was planning ahead, moving forward with her own health uncertainties and care. Maybe her ex husband declined her request to accept AL into his home to help her out?

Yes, she made some really horrible decisions of keeping some incredibly powerful weapons in her home with her emotionally distrubed living there

And I get the strong vibe NL's nerves were frayed and wearing thin how to handle her son, who's behavior probably was digressing on a daily basis where action was necessary

And AL maybe caught wind of his Mom's plans for him and he exploded in the out of control brutal rage by killing her so ferociously and then the school children were part of his mom's life and the school possibly was where AL was originally diagnosed or his disturbed behaviors surfaced to everyone's attention

AL likely would've searched out to kill everyone in the school and who knows where else he would've gone to kill more if the LE had'nt shown up as early as they did. Because IMO he planned to use all of his ammo that day

I read the article. Curious as to who might have offered this information to the father. I don't believe it because I know that type of locking system would not meet fire code. I think she panicked as anyone might or the gunman moved so fast she didn't have time to close the door. All she could do was try to protect the children. Did I hear the massacre took about 10 minutes if that long. Helter Skelter was at work in that school.

It's possible that another teacher told him. I have to tell you, this was a hot-button topic in my school district between teachers and administrators. PreK teachers in my school district were pulled from class to attend meetings at least once a month. We kept telling administrators that, since neither substitutes nor teacher aides were given keys, the entire PreK hallway was at risk - especially since it was the wing closest to the front entrance of the school. The doors could only be locked from the outside with a key and not a single adult in that wing had a key when the teachers had their monthly meeting. Hopefully administrators will take notice as these details emerge.
imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member