Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
There are 11,000 participants, plus 5,000 paraolympics participants. 78,000 tickets sold. Not even going there with the loss to hotels, eateries. It cost $25 billion for Tokyo to construct facilities. Going further, the cost to airlines.
The impact of cancellation is HUGE.
I wonder if it's possible to delay it for a year....a lot of reorganization though, but may be worth it.
The winter olympics would be the following year.

Australian coronovirus news

Authorities still aren't able to contact passengers who sat near a coronavirus patient on a flight from Iran days after the plane landed in Victoria.

The woman, who is in her 30s, travelled to Victoria from Tehran via Kuala Lumpur and Bali on Malindo Air flight OD 177 and arrived about 6am on Friday.

The woman has since tested positive to coronavirus, making her the ninth case in Victoria.

'Impossible' to stop coronavirus spreading through Australia authorities say | Daily Mail Online

You are making me miss my little ranch. I had 39 chickens, 4 horses and 6 dogs. It was my heaven.
although I always had to wonder about what to do with all the eggs! Thank goodness I like pickled eggs. Dogs had eggs daily as well.

Yikes! The feed store was going to be one of my stops this week. I have to stock up on food for our goats, chickens and ducks.

For those that may not be concerned right now as you may be in an age and health group that this virus will have statistically little impact on, and you have no one in the higher risk categories that you have any concerns for - then I suppose congratulations is in order???

But, be aware of this.... the biggest difference with this particular strain at this very moment is not necessarily the mortality rate. The biggest issue is the R0 factor and the method/rate in which it spreads. If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly eat crow in a few weeks and anyone that wants can line up to say “I told you so”

But here’s the deal - too many assumptions are still being made and this virus has an unusual EXPLOSIVE spread about it. The concern should be about our healthcare system, and all healthcare systems around the globe being overwhelmed as this virus peaks in reach given region. When that happens, there will be a shortage of beds, medical supplies, and medical personnel. Beyond that hump, things will return to a new normalcy. So if you so decide to continue on down the road without care as this blows through - I only ask that you take a bit of caution because the simplest of accidents could end with deadly consequences if the healthcare system is stretched beyond its limits and that simple accident has a long wait to get attended to.

Anyone that doesn’t believe they have skin in the game is sadly mistaken. Whether it be health or wealth - each of us will feel an impact to some degree.

As always, MOO!!.....

As long as it mostly stayed in China I felt like some here still do. But it’s spread pretty fast despite our pandemic response system. That’s concerning. Plus all the statements from epidemiologists, experts from the WHO, etc.

Still it’s very low in the US. I can only hope it stays that way.

Coronavirus: How does COVID-19 attack the human body?

Experts say the disease's first port of call is the lungs and that it can also target the kidneys.

The most common signs that you may be infected with coronavirus are breathing problems, and that is because its first port of call is the lungs.

Just like the flu, coronaviruses are respiratory diseases and can spread when an infected patient coughs or sneezes, spraying small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth, which may contain the virus.

Coronavirus: How does COVID-19 attack the human body?

Me too! We own a 70 seat restaurant in So. California, keeping people coming in the door is always a struggle. If people decide to not go out to eat, we're in real trouble.
QUOTE="gitana1, post: 15886187, member: 6459"]As long as it mostly stayed in China I felt like some here still do. But it’s spread pretty fast despite our pandemic response system. That’s concerning. Plus all the statements from epidemiologists, experts from the WHO, etc.

Still it’s very low in the US. I can only hope it stays that way.[/QUOTE]

South Korea reported nearly 500 new coronavirus cases on Monday, sending the largest national total in the world outside China past 4,000.

Four more people had died, the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said, taking the toll to 22.

South Korean media on Monday reported the strain on medical facilities and staff has grown so intense that elderly patients and those with existing health problems will be prioritised.

Coronavirus: South Korea reports 476 new cases and 4 more casualties

I’m glad South Korea is looking after the elderly and those who has pre-existing conditions as a priority.

South Korea reported nearly 500 new coronavirus cases on Monday, sending the largest national total in the world outside China past 4,000.

Four more people had died, the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said, taking the toll to 22.

South Korean media on Monday reported the strain on medical facilities and staff has grown so intense that elderly patients and those with existing health problems will be prioritised.

I’m glad South Korea is looking after the elderly and those who has pre-existing conditions as a priority.
I agree. I feel so bad for the medical staff. I can only hope and pray it doesn't come to that at my hospital. (or any of your local hospitals)

I will write this projection/prediction here, because I believe that this virus will explode in the United States.

We are just seeing the tip of this. And if anyone wants to look back a few weeks, I wrote the exact same thing on the first thread.

I just checked, it was February 12th.

Last edited:
from New York Times article. How prepared is the US?

Ventilators

In 2005, the federal government sought to assess how a respiratory-related pandemic might play out in the United States. Its report estimated that a severe influenza pandemic would require mechanical ventilators for 740,000 critically ill people.

.....there are nowhere near that many ventilators, and most are already in use. Only about 62,000 full-featured ventilators were in hospitals across the country, a 2010 study found. More than 10,000 others are stored in the Strategic National Stockpile, a federal cache of supplies and medicines held in case of emergencies...

Tens of thousands of other respiratory devices could be repurposed in an emergency, experts say, but the shortfall would be stark, potentially forcing doctors to make excruciating life-or-death decisions about who would get such help should hospitals become flooded with the desperately sick.

In plausible worst-case-scenarios given the pattern of the outbreak thus far, the country could experience acute shortages not just in ventilators but also health workers to operate them and care for patients; hospital beds; and masks and other protective equipment.

“Even during mild flu pandemics, most of our ICUs are filled to the brim with severely ill patients on mechanical ventilation,” said Dr. Eric Toner, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and an expert on health care preparedness. “I hope and pray COVID-19 turns out to be a moderate pandemic, but if not, we’re in serious trouble,” he said..

more: How Prepared Is the U.S. for a Coronavirus Outbreak?

Not to panic anyone, because we surely have smart things we can do now to control this flu but here is one of the NOVA specials regarding the 1918 flu pandemic.
"In September of 1918, soldiers at an army base near Boston suddenly began to die. The cause of death was identified as influenza, but it was unlike any strain ever seen. As the killer virus spread across the country, hospitals overfilled, death carts roamed the streets and helpless city officials dug mass graves. It was the worst epidemic in American history, killing over 600,000 — until it disappeared as mysteriously as it had begun."
Influenza 1918 | American Experience | PBS

Coronavirus Economic News

Coronavirus: China manufacturing collapse confirmed as private sector factory survey hits record low

China manufacturing collapse confirmed in new, record low private sector data

Cathay Pacific Group has 120 planes sitting on the tarmac at any given time, accounting for about half of its fleet, and has scrapped more than three-quarters of its weekly flights in March.

Last week, Cathay said 75 per cent of staff, or 25,000 employees of the group, would take unpaid leave.

Cathay parks half its fleet and slashes three-quarters of March flights

Transcript of snippets of what people experienced during the 1918 flu. Interesting to note is that it tracked along the railroad route. Today we have planes, ships, railroad...
Not trying to scare anyone but thus far the mortality rate is the same. The mortality demographics may be different. It's too soon to tell. But we can learn from this and limit our chances by practicing safe hygienic practices and using common sense in terms of group gatherings or voluntary travel.
In 1918 people weren't prepared and knew little regarding public health and how to stop the spread. We have social media, global news and the 1918 model that has been studied.

Influenza 1918 | American Experience | PBS

Last edited:
South Korea has a population of 51.47 million inhabitants as of 2017 records.
Most live in high rise buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BecStar