Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary about the travel restrictions- and probably more coming - what about those people where travel is tantamount to their job? Unable to perform contracted duties equals no money. Not everyone can work from home. Lots of difficult decisions ahead.

Greyhound Racing Victoria is isolating all greyhounds arriving in the state after an outbreak of coronavirus was detected on a property with greyhounds.
GRV said canine coronavirus is not transferable to humans and is not fatal in dogs, however they are committed to protecting the health and welfare of the dogs impacted and those at risk of infection.
A Geelong greyhound property has reportedly been temporarily shutdown following an outbreak.
Canine coronavirus outbreak among greyhounds in Victoria

NSW pharmacists will be allowed to give young people vaccinations against the flu, as fears are raised the upcoming flu season could exacerbate the spread and effect of coronavirus.

NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard and NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant made the announcement today, enabling pharmacists to give vaccinations to people as young as 10.

Previously pharmacists were only able to provide vaccinations to those older than 16.

“This season, particularly, everybody should be ensuring they get out and have a flu shot … no doubt about it,” Mr Hazzard told reporters.

Mr Hazzard said giving families more options to protect their children against flu was sensible, with the likely convergence of a coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) pandemic with winter flu.
Authorities brace for 2020 flu season

What you need to stock up on before coronavirus strikes

FOOD AND HOUSEHOLD ITEMS TO STOCKPILE IN A PANDEMIC

Extra prescription medications, asthma relief inhalers

Over-the-counter anti-fever and pain medications

Feminine hygiene products

Family pack of toilet paper

Vitamins

Alcohol-containing hand rub

Household cleaning agents and soap

Tissues, paper towel

Cereals, grains, beans, lentils, pasta

Tinned food – fish, vegetables, fruit

Oil, spices and flavours

Dried fruit and nuts

Ultra-heat treated or powdered milk

Soft drink or candy/chocolate for treats

Pet food and care

Source: Virology Down Under by University of Queensland virologists Dr Ian Mackay and Dr Katherine Arden

What you need to stock up on before coronavirus strikes Australia | Daily Mail Online

25,000.00 employees laid off in a single swoop with unpaid leave? Cathaway headquarters are in Hong Kong.
Anticipate other airlines to layoff employees soon.
Including American headquartered airlines.
Amongst thousands of other businesses. You know, trickle down economics is a real thing right?
No flights, no airport gift stores, no baggage claim employees, no food kiosks, no taxi's, and on and on.
I'm seriously thinking that if this keeps getting worse, I'm going to hire delivery drivers and go BIG on food delivery.
If people want to stay home, or, feel they should, great meals delivered will be the thing.
I could go on social media showing my employees all in hazmat suits.
Just SORT of kidding about hazmat suits.
But, dead serious about everything else. Sheesh.

Coronavirus Economic News

Coronavirus: China manufacturing collapse confirmed as private sector factory survey hits record low

China manufacturing collapse confirmed in new, record low private sector data

Cathay Pacific Group has 120 planes sitting on the tarmac at any given time, accounting for about half of its fleet, and has scrapped more than three-quarters of its weekly flights in March.

Last week, Cathay said 75 per cent of staff, or 25,000 employees of the group, would take unpaid leave.

Cathay parks half its fleet and slashes three-quarters of March flights

_Australia has confirmed its first case of person-to-person transmission, according to ABC.

It is believed to have been transmission from a patient to a doctor in New South Wales.

Previous patients with the virus had caught it overseas.

At the weekend, Australia had 29 confirmed cases of Covid-19, with one death.

_ Thailand has reported one new virus case, bringing the total number of cases to 43.

The new patient is a 22-year-old woman who was in contact with a driver - who later tested positive for the virus.

Thailand also announced that it would postpone the MotoGP race that was scheduled for 20 -22 March.

Worried families blast Washington nursing home where one man has died from coronavirus and 50 more are ill for 'not testing patients and ignoring phone calls' - as it emerges facility has history of infection issues

The Washington state nursing home where six coronavirus cases have been confirmed - including one death - is refusing to tell worried families what's going on with their loved ones, as it emerged that the facility has been slammed for infection issues in the past.”

Worried families blast nursing home where one man died from coronavirus for 'not testing patients' | Daily Mail Online

25,000.00 employees laid off in a single swoop with unpaid leave? Cathaway headquarters are in Hong Kong.
Amongst thousands of other businesses. You know, trickle down economics is a real thing right?
No flights, no airport gift stores, no baggage claim employees, no food kiosks, no taxi's, and on and on.
I'm seriously thinking that if this keeps getting worse, I'm going to hire delivery drivers and go BIG on food delivery.
If people want to stay home, or, feel they should, great meals delivered will be the thing.

Food delivery might be a good idea. And emphasizing on cooking techniques, using technology to verify food safety. Maybe even have a few specialized menu items that are prepared using pressure cooker, with heat index, blah, blah...that you have incorporated safe food handling techniques that go beyond "regulation standards". It would not be off putting to people. I would actually be inclined to order food from a restaurant who cared about food prep.

But, of course, I have a daughter who went to culinary school. I have to clean my kitchen for a month before she visits.

As long as it mostly stayed in China I felt like some here still do. But it’s spread pretty fast despite our pandemic response system. That’s concerning. Plus all the statements from epidemiologists, experts from the WHO, etc.

Still it’s very low in the US. I can only hope it stays that way.
Did they quickly reassemble a federal pandemic response team? I read that they were let go a couple of years ago.

Where is that milk located in the stores?
Most grocery stores have online pages where you can search for a product at the location where you shop and they will give you the aisle it is located on.
I get mine at Publix.
It's on Aisle 2 near the evaporated and sweetened condensed milk next to the coffee and across the aisle from the boxes of breakfast cereal.
Kroger carries another brand I like and that one can be found in the health foods section.
Here is an example of my local Publix search results.* (search)
Tou can also always ask any grocer to order you a specific item. Even if they don't regularly carry it, usually they will order it for you.
MOO
Search

just got back from the local big mall type place in Australia and the local woolies and coles have been ransacked of stock

they say they are upping deliveries this week on key items but this is crazy everyone is going to be hording 3 months of food and medical supplies at this rate

and the only person who wins are the super markets and the brands there

cant get anti bacterial gel anywhere chemist or super market luckily work had heaps and let us take a few each

just got back from the local big mall type place in Australia and the local woolies and coles have been ransacked of stock

they say they are upping deliveries this week on key items but this is crazy everyone is going to be hording 3 months of food and medical supplies at this rate

and the only person who wins are the super markets and the brands there

cant get anti bacterial gel anywhere chemist or super market luckily work had heaps and let us take a few each
Pictures of empty shelves in Sydney
Alison Rourke (@AlisonRourke) | Twitter

Customers in China are requesting ‘non-contact’ food delivery
Requests for “non-contact” food delivery have reportedly been surging in China since the coronavirus outbreak. That can mean leaving the food at a specified site, like a front desk or in front of a building. Meituan — a food order and delivery platform in China — reportedly had 80% of all orders between late January and early February request no contact, Business Insider reported. Meituan food couriers even have their body temperature on display in an effort to reassure customers they are healthy, according to the Financial Times.

If the coronavirus spreads in America, food delivery companies could see a surge in demand — are they ready?

I found this article to be pretty interesting, an overview from the start of the outbreak.

"temperatures were warmer than usual in early December in Wuhan, an inland port city with a population larger than New York. By mid-month, it had cooled to the 9 to 10 degrees Celsius typical of the mild early winters in the city that sits on a bend in the Yangtze, Asia’s longest river. Its metropolitan district spreads out on both banks of the waterway to cover an area five times the size of London.

the first cases started to trickle into Wuhan’s major hospitals in mid-December. The patients typically had dry, raking coughs, high fevers and laboured breathing – symptoms that could mean a bad bout of winter flu.

But something else showed up in X-ray images constructed into computed tomography scans of their lungs. Medically, they were described as “ground-glass opacities”, or areas filled with fluid or partially collapsed, a telling sign of pneumonia.

Lung infection was evident in one of the early patients moved to Tongji Hospital, one of Wuhan’s leading medical centres, for treatment. He was transferred on Christmas Day with “widespread patches of shadows” on his lungs, a Tongji doctor says. “Even after antibiotics, he showed no sign of improvement.”

That patient was among many with combinations of fever, coughs and lung shadows who started to “flood in” to Tongji in the last week of December, says the doctor, who asked to remain anonymous because of his hospital’s restrictions on speaking to the media.

Discussing the cases with colleagues, he says they wondered whether Sars was back.

Patients with Sars-like symptoms were also being admitted to Wuhan Union Hospital."

Coronavirus: How Disease X, the epidemic-in-waiting, erupted in China

News out of San Antonio:
CDC retesting patient for coronavirus after being released from isolation in San Antonio
CDC retesting patient for coronavirus after being released from isolation in San Antonio

I live in SA, and this is turning into a hot mess fast. What good is quarantine if they’re releasing people too quickly, and with pending lab results?? They’re scheduled to release all of the quarantined cruise passengers tomorrow. Last week, it was 90+ quarantined after returning directly from China where all of this started.

This particular person was released, stayed in a local hotel, came into contact with at least a dozen people, who have come into contact with an untold number of people... it’s just a mess. Nobody seems to know what they’re doing, if we can’t even get basic quarantine and testing protocols down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18