Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The current coronavirus could survive up to nine days outside the human body if it proves as resilient as previous strains, according to researchers studying past outbreaks.

Cold, low-humidity environments are ideal for the disease, an analysis of 22 former coronavirus surveys by the Journal of Hospital Infection found. Past strains included Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).

Some surfaces are better for the virus than others.

“On copper and steel it’s pretty typical, it’s pretty much about two hours,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Thursday. “But I will say on other surfaces — cardboard or plastic — it’s longer, and so we are looking at this.

Coronavirus could survive up to 9 days outside the body, study says

How bizarre....they are the US epicenter....speed is important....

-------------------------------
Public Health- Seattle and King County
At this time, we are not recommending school closures or cancellation of activities at schools. This is a rapidly evolving situation, and we will be certain to update you should our recommendations change. #coronavirus

Public Health - Seattle & King County on Twitter

Possible epicenter for Africa????

#Algeria confirms 2 new cases of #COVID19, 2 female individuals tested positive evening of 1 March. @who experts are on-ground supporting health authorities in the response & on-going surveillance. Algeria has 3 confirmed cases in total – the first case was reported 6 days ago. WHO African Region on Twitter
WHO African Region on Twitter

TOKYO (Reuters) - Bank of Japan Governor Haruhiko Kuroda said on Monday the central bank will take necessary steps to stabilize markets jolted by the coronavirus outbreak, bolstering speculation about coordinated global policy action.

Kuroda's comments, made in an emergency statement just days after a similar move by Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell, were welcomed by markets as a signal the world's biggest central banks were mustering a coordinated response to the crisis.

Also, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Monday that G7 major economies will take "concerted action" to limit damage from the epidemic, with the group's finance ministers to discuss the best approach by phone this week.

BOJ reassurance on coronavirus bolsters speculation of global policy action

25,000.00 employees laid off in a single swoop with unpaid leave? Cathaway headquarters are in Hong Kong.
Anticipate other airlines to layoff employees soon.
Including American headquartered airlines.
Amongst thousands of other businesses. You know, trickle down economics is a real thing right?
No flights, no airport gift stores, no baggage claim employees, no food kiosks, no taxi's, and on and on.
I'm seriously thinking that if this keeps getting worse, I'm going to hire delivery drivers and go BIG on food delivery.
If people want to stay home, or, feel they should, great meals delivered will be the thing.
I could go on social media showing my employees all in hazmat suits.
Just SORT of kidding about hazmat suits.
But, dead serious about everything else. Sheesh.

ikwym

JMO
In a lot of ways this is becoming worse than I feared. Especially the reactions and actions of all the countries including US. Things are getting out of hand and the impacts are becoming noticeable on many fronts.

Actually, the Spanish flu may be one of the worst pandemics in modern time, but the 1 per cent death rate is nothing compared to the Black plague that reached Europe in 1348, which killed about 50 per cent of the European population in four years. Second plague pandemic - Wikipedia

Fortunately, we have far better access to healthcare, medication, food, and improvement in sanitation/hygiene/living conditions than the 14th century.
What I tried to say in my post was that to call the Spanish flu one of the worst pandemics in human history is not entirely true. Yes, it killed a lot of people, but only 1 per cent of the population of the day, while the Black death maybe not killed as many persons at the time, but when you look at the percentage of the population of the time it killed about 50 per cent of the population in Europe, having a much larger impact on human history than the Spanish flu (as well as the CoViD-19 will have today seen to the entire population of the world). That doesn't mean that each individual death is not a tragedy, but it won't be such a huge impact as the Black death was in its day (and all the other pandemics that have swiped over the earth before).

ESGmyFdWAAIaoBT

BNO Newsroom
@BNODesk

·
6m
European CDC update on coronavirus in the EU and the UK. Risk of "widespread sustained transmission" is now "moderate to high."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member