Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and another thing close to that which just happened to me at the automatic checkout counters at Walmart.

I usually go to one of the checkouts that had a person there at the register but decided it would be a little safer to use the automatic Self-Checkout lines. Well.....the plan was working until I hit the end of the process where I had to use their screen keypad to enter some selections on how i was using my credit card. Right about the time I touched the screen, I knew right then and there it was a bad idea because of how many hundreds or even thousands of people may have touched that same spot on the small screen.

My goodness. The sheer number of places and things that can infect us is just incredible.

Note to self: Bring rubber disposable Nitrile gloves with me at all times. No matter where I go in the future.
You know what else is dirty - your credit/debit card. It goes in the same slot with everyone else’s dirty card. I would imagine all those touch screens in stores are as dirty as the McDonalds touchscreen kiosk.

Credit and debit cards have more germs than urinals in a train station, study says

Brown called higher germ readings for payment cards over cash somewhat surprising.

"One might expect cash to be the filthiest since cash stays in circulation a lot longer and can travel across the country by changing hands," he wrote in the report. However, debit and credit cards are being used more often and in an increasing number of places.

The report offered several sanitizing suggestions, from wiping cards periodically to washing your hands frequently before and after use.

Traces of feces found on McDonald's touchscreen kiosks in UK

Senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matewele told the newspaper: “We were all surprised how much gut and fecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.”

Metro’s research with the university took swabs from six London McDonald’s outlets and two in Birmingham. Listeria, a bacteria that can cause listeriosis and is a concern especially for those over 65 and pregnant women, was found on screens in two branches.

Australia - A coronavirus-infected man in Tasmania was told to self-isolate at home when he became ill, but instead he went shopping in Woolies without a mask.

The 40-year-old made the shopping trip in Launceston after he left the hospital on Sunday night.

He was told to go straight home and quarantine himself until his results came back.

He spent around 15 minutes at the Launceston store, on the corner of Wellington and York Streets, at 10pm.

He was confirmed to have the virus the following day on Monday.
Man told to self-isolate went to Woolies

Definitely a potential problem with irresponsible people and self isolation. MOO

You know what else is dirty - your credit/debit card. It goes in the same slot with everyone else’s dirty card. I would imagine all those touch screens in stores are as dirty as the McDonalds touchscreen kiosk.

Credit and debit cards have more germs than urinals in a train station, study says

Brown called higher germ readings for payment cards over cash somewhat surprising.

"One might expect cash to be the filthiest since cash stays in circulation a lot longer and can travel across the country by changing hands," he wrote in the report. However, debit and credit cards are being used more often and in an increasing number of places.

The report offered several sanitizing suggestions, from wiping cards periodically to washing your hands frequently before and after use.

Traces of feces found on McDonald's touchscreen kiosks in UK

Senior lecturer in microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr Paul Matewele told the newspaper: “We were all surprised how much gut and fecal bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.”

Metro’s research with the university took swabs from six London McDonald’s outlets and two in Birmingham. Listeria, a bacteria that can cause listeriosis and is a concern especially for those over 65 and pregnant women, was found on screens in two branches.

[bbm]

wow yes another good consideration I hadn't thought of

If it's Johns Hopkins,that just makes it worse, imo.

Eta: when I made my initial comment, I'd already noted the Lancet tag on the visualization. So, believe it or not, this cretin knows what the Lancet is and was well aware that the image was coming from "credible" sources. People are human and tend often have their own interests at heart, whatever their particular motivation might be. Sometimes, they may not even realize it. jmo

Data analysis visualization sucks at the best of times. At least someone is trying - perhaps they need to recalibrate the red circle radius per numbers.

I suspect that there are small numbers up and down the west coast represented by smaller red circles. When enough of those smaller circles intersect, they are probably replaced with larger circles.

In terms of predictive capability, my guess is that there will be a significant increase in numbers in that area, similar to what we saw around Italy and Iran.

Canada is keeping a close eye on the area for obvious west coast concerns.

A woman in her 30s who recently travelled to northern Italy has been confirmed as New Zealand's second case of coronavirus.

The health ministry announced on Wednesday that the Auckland woman received a positive test for the virus, and is self-isolating in her home.

The woman's partner has also displayed symptoms and is being tested.
Second case of coronavirus in NZ

I agree. If doubling happened every few days to go from 4400 to 93,000, I suppose we can expect several hundred thousand in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that by March 17, it will be taken far more seriously in Europe and NA.
This will give some idea.....100k cases per week?!?!

Change the dates at the bottom of the charts. They used China data, but China flattened the curve by locking down the cities....without some draconian action it moves to 100k a week really fast.

Coronavirus Geometric Progression Suggests 100,000 Infections in a Week

:(Does anybody else doubt the numbers that are being put out there?
They JUST started testing.
There have to be wayyyy more cases in the U.S.
I feel like the ship has hit the iceberg, we have a gaping hole pouring in water, the engines are down and the Captain has had too many adult beverages.

I hope that won't be the case for her other medications. At least I have her getting 90 day refills on most of them.

Yes that’s what I did. 90 days.

I’d also like to note I asked my pharmacist specifically about shortages due to China being a main supplier and she said yes this is true but “not to worry” lol. Moo.

I feel like the ship has hit the iceberg, we have a gaping hole pouring in water, the engines are down and the Captain has had too many adult beverages.

My hypochondriac-ism is acting up. Just sayin.

Last edited:
100%!

Are you thinking it’s a conspiracy? Do you think we’re being lied to about the actual cases? Just imagine how many people would have to be in on it....a huge amount.

Less a conspiracy, more considerable ineptitude...we are not seeing the actual number of cases when they've testing so bleeding few people. Doctors begging to have their patients tested and being told they didn't meet the parameters! Why? Because they didnt have the tests? When they knew our tests were a problem why didn't the jump on using the WHOs? Now that, that part is not a conspiracy, nope, its just plain arrogance. And something I think that the pandemic team that was disbanded could have been on much earlier...now we have simply squandered all this time...boggles the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust