Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d rather just nod at people. Get away from me with this elbow-bumping nonsense!
We should practice our princess wave, because that's what they are getting out of me
OGC.b2462ec770978c7979cdc3bef8d2c143

As for the tests... i can give you my own experience as i am currently 'sort of' going thru it.
Cruised for 10 days, home on Jan 29th. Next day.. cough. My 'group' on the cruise had over 100 and over 1/3 were sick enough to go to urgent care etc. I don't go until i'm beyond sick. I know to take Amoxacillin when my lungs get too bad, vaporizer, humidifier, vicks... all the tricks. Its been 4 weeks... still hacking so bad i can't breathe, can't sleep, just generally feel like crap.
Never thinking it could be CVOD19, .... UNTIL a case shows up a mile from my house. I had already scheduled dr. appt. to get a refill on cough meds. He puts me on Levaquin.. STRONG antibiotic, lots of possible side effects. I have all the 'identifying' symptoms. Fever, Hacking cough, Severe bronchitis, very slight pneumonia sounds in one lung lower lobe. Do i need a hospital. Not in my mind. What would they do? Hydrate and antibiotics and respirator or breathing treatments. I can do all at home except if it gets back enough to need a respirator. They are NOT doing CVOD 19 tests unless you have had DIRECT contact with someone positive or are already hospitalized. They are treating with Antibiotics since the VIRAL strain creates a bacterial infection in the lungs. I am self isolating because i don't want to keep being reinfected or chance other strains of 'something'. Will i pay out of pocket (i have a 5k deductable) for a test, NO. I live alone, can work from home, and will have things delivered. I just want to feel better. Its 'almost gone away' a few times then comes right back. I'm not one to panic or stress about medical stuff. I do have a chronic issues, am considered 'senior' at 55 although i can't relate to that word. Should i be tested? probably. But our Health Dept doesn't seem to do that YET, unless you are positive you were around someone that is positive. Since they don't put out names, how are you supposed to know? They just say to stay home for 14 days. Heck, i could have carried it home from the ship WITH me and passed it along. If i'm getting the lack of answers or concern, i'm sure many others in my position are getting the same. THIS is why it will keep spreading so quickly.

Two further positive cases of the new coronavirus have been detected in Northern Ireland, including one adult who recently travelled from northern Italy. The other had recent contact with a person elsewhere in the UK who has subsequently tested positive.

The results are being sent to England for verification.

Coronavirus live updates: number of confirmed cases in UK jumps to 85

As for the tests... i can give you my own experience as i am currently 'sort of' going thru it.
Cruised for 10 days, home on Jan 29th. Next day.. cough. My 'group' on the cruise had over 100 and over 1/3 were sick enough to go to urgent care etc. I don't go until i'm beyond sick. I know to take Amoxacillin when my lungs get too bad, vaporizer, humidifier, vicks... all the tricks. Its been 4 weeks... still hacking so bad i can't breathe, can't sleep, just generally feel like crap.
Never thinking it could be CVOD19, .... UNTIL a case shows up a mile from my house. I had already scheduled dr. appt. to get a refill on cough meds. He puts me on Levaquin.. STRONG antibiotic, lots of possible side effects. I have all the 'identifying' symptoms. Fever, Hacking cough, Severe bronchitis, very slight pneumonia sounds in one lung lower lobe. Do i need a hospital. Not in my mind. What would they do? Hydrate and antibiotics and respirator or breathing treatments. I can do all at home except if it gets back enough to need a respirator. They are NOT doing CVOD 19 tests unless you have had DIRECT contact with someone positive or are already hospitalized. They are treating with Antibiotics since the VIRAL strain creates a bacterial infection in the lungs. I am self isolating because i don't want to keep being reinfected or chance other strains of 'something'. Will i pay out of pocket (i have a 5k deductable) for a test, NO. I live alone, can work from home, and will have things delivered. I just want to feel better. Its 'almost gone away' a few times then comes right back. I'm not one to panic or stress about medical stuff. I do have a chronic issues, am considered 'senior' at 55 although i can't relate to that word. Should i be tested? probably. But our Health Dept doesn't seem to do that YET, unless you are positive you were around someone that is positive. Since they don't put out names, how are you supposed to know? They just say to stay home for 14 days. Heck, i could have carried it home from the ship WITH me and passed it along. If i'm getting the lack of answers or concern, i'm sure many others in my position are getting the same. THIS is why it will keep spreading so quickly.
First, I wish you speedy and smooth recovery. It sounds like you know what to do. Keep us posted.

Second, really interesting and useful info. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Lots to think about - many of the issues we've talked about are in your post: treatments, testing, info, cost, etc.

jmo

Except masks are itchy to the nose & people tend to reach under the mask to scratch without even realizing it. o_O
And they handle the masks (put on, adjust, remove) without first washing their hands, transferring any germs to the mask, which is on their face.

But, I've posted about that enough already. :)

jmo

HADC Foundation on Twitter

Coronavirus & Diabetes: Your Questions Answered

The recent Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreakinevitability of a pandemic, with many news articles addressing the issue and related concerns in recent months. Here, we provide a brief overview of COVID-19 pathogenesis and answer some common questions about how to protect yourself and what steps to take if you believe you are experiencing symptoms of the infection as a person with diabetes.

Why are people with diabetes more vulnerable to infections and complications of infections?

It has been shown that people with diabetes are at a higher risk for infections and related complications, and, in particular, for various bacterial infections. Although the reasons for this are not completely elucidated yet and are likely multifactorial, research has shown that high blood glucose levels can directly and negatively impact the immune system and that

“…good control of blood sugar in diabetic patients is a desirable goal in the prevention of certain infections and to ensure maintenance of normal host defense mechanisms that determine resistance and response to infection.”

As it relates to the COVID-19 outbreak, it follows that maintaining optimal blood glucose control is an important preventative strategy for avoiding serious related complications, such as a secondary bacterial infection (i.e., pneumonia) and is likely an important determinant in the patient prognosis for anyone who becomes infected.

How might blood sugar be affected if I get the virus?

In general, many types of illness can cause an increase in blood glucose levels (even in people without diabetes) that may necessitate medication adjustments in order to maintain control. This is often true for other viral infections, like influenza. While it is difficult to predict individual responses, as blood glucose levels are governed by a combination of many factors, it is likely that infected individuals may experience higher than expected blood sugar levels.

What can I do to protect myself?

In addition to the importance of maintaining optimal glycemic control as a person with diabetes (see above), the best ways to protect yourself include the same common-sense measures that are advocated by the CDC.

Elizabeth Gomez, MSN, FNP-BC explains:

“Precautions to prevent Coronavirus are hand hygiene and keeping distance from people who are sick or who have recently traveled to known areas identified by the CDC as having outbreaks (i.e., China, [South] Korea, Japan, Italy).”

What should I do if I have symptoms?

Much like for the general population, it is recommended that people with diabetes who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 infection take steps to get the appropriate testing and medical care, while also helping to contain spread of the disease. People with diabetes are advised to call their healthcare provider for advice promptly. It is not recommended to go to the emergency room to seek hospitalization, unless there is another emergency situation suspected, such as ketoacidosis (DKA).

Elizabeth Gomez, MSN, FNP-BC says:

“It is important they get evaluated if the history is suggestive of Corona in order to track the disease and report to the Department of Public Health. They should be evaluated by a provider if they have a positive history of travel to the affected areas and they have symptoms of fever, cough, shortness of breath or other respiratory symptoms.

Treatment is similar to supportive care but if people have comorbidities (like diabetes) they should follow up closely with the treating provider to prevent complications. The mortality rate is low, so it is expected people will recover well.”

Can the disease be transmitted via injections or fingerpricks?

The CDC explains that COVID-19 appears to predominantly spread via respiratory droplets, but also may live on various hard surfaces. However, the virus is new, and the spread of the virus is not fully understood yet. Some concerns have been raised about other potential routes of transmission (e.g., blood).

In any case, it is good practice, in general, to never share insulin pens, syringes, or lancing devices and to always change your own syringe or pen needle when injecting insulin, as well as to change your lancet each time you check your blood sugar level.

Conclusions
In general, patients with diabetes are currently advised to follow the same guidelines as the general population when it comes to protecting themselves from the Coronavirus outbreak. Taking care to avoid exposure, as well as common-sense prevention, like washing your hands and not touching your face as much as possible, are key. Be sure to consult your healthcare provider for additional guidance on your specific situation in order to stay safe.

Post Views: 5,410

Read more about COVID-19, diabetes management, illness, insulin, Intensive management.

Immunity to each virus, each strain of virus, each bacteria, etc has to be built one-by-one by exposure to *it*, not to others.

So, although that thinking appears to be popular (especially with anti-vaxxers) I don't see how it can be correct.

No one (other than 100,000 or so in China) on this planet has immunity to this particular strain of coronavirus. The only way to get immunity is by contracting it.

And that is the glass half full scenario where the immune system can hold the immunity long-term and the virus doesn't mutate too much or into too many strains before they have enough vaccine to do mass immunisations.

I don't normally use anti-bacterial handwashes and things as I believe most bacteria will wash off the hands with soap and hot water and a good rub. The antibacterial ones tend to leave my hands sore, which I believe could be due to killing off the 'good' microbes on the skin along with the 'bad' ones. But I don't think that practice is going to help me avoid or successfully fight off the Covid-19.

I was speaking in general, not about this virus, specifically.

I’ve been wondering about the water thing, but I think it’s just what people think of when prepping for a disaster. Seems unnecessary IMO.
Personally, we are stocked up on water for the same reason we have stocked up on other items, bc we go through alot of water in my house and wish to avoid going out as much as possible in the near future. MOO

6 new cases in LA County; all cases are linked to assumed known exposure, either travel history to area w outbreak or exposure to known travelers, or person is a close contact w confirmed case. "As of today we still don't have known cases of community transmission" #COVID19

Three of the new COVID-19 cases in LA County were traveling in Northern Italy. Two are family members who had close contact with someone who was infected. Another had a job that put them in contact with travelers.
Soumya on Twitter

Last edited:
Never thinking it could be CVOD19, .... UNTIL a case shows up a mile from my house. I had already scheduled dr. appt. to get a refill on cough meds. He puts me on Levaquin.. STRONG antibiotic, lots of possible side effects. I have all the 'identifying' symptoms. Fever, Hacking cough, Severe bronchitis, very slight pneumonia sounds in one lung lower lobe. Do i need a hospital. Not in my mind. What would they do? Hydrate and antibiotics and respirator or breathing treatments. I can do all at home except if it gets back enough to need a respirator. They are NOT doing CVOD 19 tests unless you have had DIRECT contact with someone positive or are already hospitalized. They are treating with Antibiotics since the VIRAL strain creates a bacterial infection in the lungs. .
RSBM

Where was your cruise? Do you know if any others on the ship have had prolonged illness as you have? Or if any have been diagnosed with something?

One thing I can tell you, I was this sick in November and tried to fight it myself. The coughing wouldn't stop, etc...many of the symptoms you describe for yourself. I finally went to Urgent Care and was given Ceftin (antibiotic), Prednisone (steroids) and Flonase (nasal spray). It definitely made me better, within the week it took me to take all the dosages prescribed. Doc said I did the right thing trying to let my body fight it off, but then I needed meds. It had progressed to bronchitis.

Perhaps you can get checked out just to illiminate other possibilities and many even get some relief. I hope so. xo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove