Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, the homeschool group in GA is just a couple of towns over. Homeschoolers are all over the place with activities and dances and stuff going on. We go to activities all week long with hundreds of kids. I'm just waffling on when to start keeping my kids home. I have a feeling if they start testing the numbers are absolutely going to blow up around here. With a large family if one of us gets sick we are almost certainly all going to get it. The kid who tested positive has no connection to China or Italy so community spread. BUT I still feel like a complete weirdo telling my kids they have to stop going to outside activities because no one else around here seems to be taking this seriously at all. Am I totally over reacting?

I expect to hear that from college kids though. Who wants to spend spring break hiding indoors?
I would rather they all be on the beach breathing fresh salt air than cooped up in hotels breathing recirculated A/C. They’re likely to stay healthier. Plus, it will wear their butts out so they don’t trash the hotel. LOL!

They were told it lasts a few hours up to a day on surfaces! Really?! Why have we continually heard it likely lasts much longer than that?

I wondered that too, but it doesn't make much difference. If the virus can last on a surface for one day, that means that every flights should be fully decontaminated after each flight between two destinations. Everyone should de-plane, the plane should be sanitized, and then the plane can travel to the next destination.

Ugh, the homeschool group in GA is just a couple of towns over. Homeschoolers are all over the place with activities and dances and stuff going on. We go to activities all week long with hundreds of kids. I'm just waffling on when to start keeping my kids home. I have a feeling if they start testing the numbers are absolutely going to blow up around here. With a large family if one of us gets sick we are almost certainly all going to get it. The kid who tested positive has no connection to China or Italy so community spread. BUT I still feel like a complete weirdo telling my kids they have to stop going to outside activities because no one else around here seems to be taking this seriously at all. Am I totally over reacting?

I don't think that you should go into "Lock Down Mode". That is my own opinion. I don't fear getting the flu. If I get sick, I will ride it out, or not.

But I am not going into "Howard Hughes" mode because of the flu. No one should stop normal activities of daily living. INMO.

WOW, if a town in Ireland can do a drive by test and have almost instant results- same day-
WHY Can't the US Do the SAME?????
We should hang our heads in shame. Are you listening Washington?

You typed it before I did...can somebody riddle me why we are not using the WHO test? Why that never seems to come up in any news conference.

I’m admittedly not very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of the WHO...

Would there ever be a scenario where they would step in and take more leadership to insist the US do more timely testing in larger quantities?

Would the WHO ever have other countries start sending more test kits to the US?

Would the WHO ever step in and request the US take stricter action towards restricting public gatherings, etc?

Or are we, the US, just fully autonomous and allowed to..... do whatever?

I don't think that you should go into "Lock Down Mode". That is my own opinion. I don't fear getting the flu. If I get sick, I will ride it out, or not.

But I am not going into "Howard Hughes" mode because of the flu. No one should stop normal activities of daily living. INMO.

I can understand your views if you are a relatively young person with no underlying health issues or do not have dependents or elderly parents or other vulnerable family or friends.
Many of us are worried sick about how this virus could affect ourselves,family and friends.

Last edited:
The big cancer center in Tampa FL has a message on their patient portal.

Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19)

Update: For the safety of our patients and families, we are screening all patients at Moffitt Cancer Center.

I can understand you views if your are a relatively young person with no underlying health issues or do not have dependents or elderly parents or other vulnerable family or friends.
Many of us are worried sick about how this virus could affect ourselves,family and friends.

I am older, and my husband would definitely be in the 3% if he gets sick. But, I still have to go to work, I am going skiing this weekend, I went to yoga this morning.

People will respond to this situation as they see the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway