Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
\

Children still going to school for now because their risk has been very low so far and they tend to wander in the public when they are out of school. Basically they are safer in school.
Snipped. I took that to mean the PUBLIC is safer with the kids in school, rather than them carrying the virus to public places like malls. :)

jmo

Ugh, the homeschool group in GA is just a couple of towns over. Homeschoolers are all over the place with activities and dances and stuff going on. We go to activities all week long with hundreds of kids. I'm just waffling on when to start keeping my kids home. I have a feeling if they start testing the numbers are absolutely going to blow up around here. With a large family if one of us gets sick we are almost certainly all going to get it. The kid who tested positive has no connection to China or Italy so community spread. BUT I still feel like a complete weirdo telling my kids they have to stop going to outside activities because no one else around here seems to be taking this seriously at all. Am I totally over reacting?

That is the conundrum. If a parent is positive, is it the best practice to say "what the heck, the entire family has been exposed so continue with isolation of all of you in one house" . THAT perhaps should be something to consider what the bottom line answer is.. but how does one make that decision? I don't know.

That said, NO ONE in that house should be exempt from the quarantine of 14 days after the last exposure to a positive..so that means 14 days AFTER the parent and other positives in the house are negative x2 and 10 days post fever etc????? Dunno. That would add MUCH time to the non-infected, unless they want it do purposefully become a POX party of the old days to ENSURE the others get it.

You can be sure that epidemiologists are wanting to follow the test results daily for that family, and serological samples for later sampling once they get an antibody test. A great US case study for SURE. MOO

From a professional caution: not mine—
Super sani-cloths—unfortunately only available in med facilities. Please don’t ask how I know this. And there’s a carcinogen risk. But it wipes out all.

Testing seems past it’s prime. By the time a person is tested, he/she has already infected others.

What we need are solutions. Find a way to stop the spread.

You mean like what Wuhan did to stop it/slow it down eventually from log growth to linear now? Doubt that can be done in US MOO Just look at the Johns Hopkins data graph.. it's log for outside of China hot spots now.. slow increase inside.

MOO

We are less than the point where Wuhan was on the 20th of January for sure!

CNN on Twitter

Rather than shaking hands, Nebraska Gov. Pete Ricketts is encouraging people to bump elbows to help stop the spread of the coronavirus. The governor demonstrated it in a video of himself greeting people leaving quarantine at a facility in Omaha. cnn.it/2VKG6ha

This is funny to me idk why. MOO
Bumping elbows? Won't that scatter all the germs from coughing into ya elbow?

Doctor said masks absolutely do nothing. Not even the N95. She said the droplets are too small.

She told me no non-essential travel for me. Damn.

She also told me she doesn’t know if asthmatics can survive it because they don’t know enough yet. She told me that the best bet is to get medical attention quickly if I feel sick. She also doesn’t know if Kaiser will have enough respirators and stuff if there’s a huge influx.

But she said no need to stock up on medications. Just make sure I have my one month supply.

A proportion of the patients under 60 in the big Chinese study must have had asthma, presumably higher than the fatality rate for their age group. If a person with asthma can survive pneumonia, then surely they can survive this?

I know asthmatics must be a high risk group, and I also have asthma, but in younger people that probably means more likely to need oxygen support than death? imho.

The big cancer center in Tampa FL has a message on their patient portal.

Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19)

Update: For the safety of our patients and families, we are screening all patients at Moffitt Cancer Center.

Good for them to let folks know if they aren't aware.. assume the screening is .. "did you visit china/fly internationally (or better yet Italy/SK etc) , do you have symptoms, do you have a fever?" That's about all they can be doing right?

Last edited:
I share that feeling of being a prisoner, as I'm sure many others do. But I'd rather be around and we'd like you and all the others to be around too. :)
I agree.

SEATTLE -- King County has announced sweeping new recommendations for its residents to reduce their risk of exposure to COVID-19 as officials somberly announced a 10th death in the Puget Sound region with confirmed cases now reaching over three dozen.
King Co. advises high-risk residents to stay home as 10th COVID-19 death announced
State and local officials announce new recommendations to reduce risk of spread of COVID-19 - King County

Thank you. Does your health and age demographic factor in to your decision? I do appreciate your input. My concern is I have a couple of concerning preexisting conditions and my kids interact daily with my parents who are in their 70's and who have both have serious preexisting conditions. I'm not otherwise at all concerned about husband or kids and their risks. They rarely get sick.

Edit: I should clarify that they do get sick. But it's usually mild and they have no underlying health conditions. The time we ALL got the flu for weeks was pretty brutal with both parents being sick at once.

I am 60, my husband is 80. My husband has COPD, CHF, and a myriad of other health issues.

We look at this virus, as just part of life. At age 80, he knows that he is going to die, whether in the next few years or whatever. There is no question about "if", it is "when" and "how". Death is not something to fear, at that age. He would actually prefer a quick case of flu, and pneumonia. Rather than a stroke, or cancer, and lengthy nursing home stay until the inevitable occurs.

At age 60, if I get the flu, who knows? But I am more worried about being hit by someone driving when I am riding my bike. But I haven't gotten rid of my bike. And I am not going to lock myself up in the house for fear of flu.

O/t
As a teen i once wore a short sleeved blouse to my summer job and all the other workers told me to cover up quickly because the boss was stepping out of his office. Huh?
They kept saying hurry get away he goes absolutely nuts over elbows. Of course i thought they were teasing me and held my ground.
Surprise, the boss made a beeline towards me and practically ravaged my elbows, the others scolded me afterward for not heeding their warnings.
Anyway, if the man is still alive and elbow greetings are the new norm.he might be the one person to appreciate cv19 as the "gift that keeps giving" !
@dotr This is intriguing. Please provide details on the elbow-ravishing.

China said that a Chinese citizen returned there with Coronavirus after being in Bristol working. I got the feeling that they were suggesting he'd caught it in Bristol and taken it back to China. I don't remember what type of work, but I thought it was something like building work...I wonder if that would fit in with this case?

I suppose this person or a close relative might have recently returned from abroad, and I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and making 5387

Edit: That'll teach me to read the article before commenting, won't it!

Advice from a friend ...I asked "Quick question- does anyone think that coronavirus will be put on the back burner for most folks? I mean not a priority anymore? Maybe because of "coronavirus news fatigue"? Or because folks have very short attention spans and if this thing isn't right in my backyard at this moment, then nothing to worry about.
I think there will be a time where others will just ignore it all. Only a few of us will understand what is really going on or even care."
And he replied:
"Yes, people already seem to be tired of hearing about it, but denial of reality can only last so long as a protective mechanism..when the problem can no longer be ignored, dismissed, ridiculed, argued against, or minimized. These will be the people who will panic the most, and become desperate. Desperate people do desperate things.

Just because it's happening "over there" doesn't mean it can't "happen here." The messaging from the CDC is saying it "can happen here" which is important to condition people. Cognitive dissonance writ large, for the most part.

But, look, you can try to convince others, but it's really not your job. It's almost too late for a large governmental response. It just ensures the eventual problem and the necessary response just keeps getting larger and larger. Look at Italy. They can't contain it. They cancelled all public events, cinemas, etc. Just prepare yourself and those who are open to it. Others? Well, they make their own choices."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214