Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this new? Last i had heard it was 9 days... thats why it was so much more concerning than flu.

Yes, we've heard for weeks that the virus can survive on surfaces for 5 days and possibly 9. However, if the question is whether the virus can survive on a surface in an airplane, and the answer is 1 day, then that is enough to decide that each plane should be sanitized between every two destinations. Whether that will be implemented is another question.

In my opinion this event should have been cancelled.

People drink a lot,are eating, possibly without washing their hands and mingling with crowds of people.
They are also handling money placing bets.
Then using public transport to travel home to various parts of the country.
The epitome of ICK.

I have decided not to eat out or order takeaways
for the next few weeks until it becomes clearer how it is spreading.
Think I will use the money saved to buy wine.
I think wine is a good investment and makes a pretty good hand sanitizer
Also, my doctor recommends going to the dentist and things like that now. Not to wait until it hits.
But I rescheduled my dentist appointment cuz I thought it had already "hit"

Good for them to let folks know if they aren't aware.. assume the screening is .. "did you visit china/fly internationally (or better yet Italy/SK etc) , do you have symptoms, do you have a fever?" That's about all they can be doing right?
I’m not sure if by screening they mean a survey like you say or actual testing. I will find out when I go next week.

A lot of it seems to be from people going on skiing holidays during the half term for schools.

Half term ski trips certainly seem to be the source of many European cases. I think, out of our 85 so far, only 3 have become infected on home soil, all the others were abroad. It's surprisingly low when you think about, but I'm taking it as a positive!

I just got a text that an elderly woman from that Grand Princess cruise ship has DIED in Placer County, CA in the hospital where she was in isolation. Placer County is the east end of Sacramento, and slightly north all the way to Lake Tahoe..

She could have been at Kaiser in Roseville, Sutter Roseville, Auburn Faith Hospital in Auburn, Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital in Grass Valley, or Marshall Hospital in Placerville. I am very familiar with the latter 3 of those hospitals.

Roseville is essentially part of Sacramento

Passengers from that cruise from San Francisco to Mexico are being tracked for testing.
I believe she was at mercy Folsom.

Yes, we've heard for weeks that the virus can survive on surfaces for 5 days and possibly 9. However, if the question is whether the virus can survive on a surface in an airplane, and the answer is 1 day, then that is enough to decide that each plane should be sanitized between every two destinations. Whether that will be implemented is another question.
Link please. I have not read that. Tyia

Pence is holding a press conference now.
Grrr....I'm listening and so upset with the reporters! One asked about cost of the test and the answer was the test will be covered under private health insurance, Medicare and Medicaid. WELL WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE INSURANCE?!

Good luck to the poor suckers who don't have health insurance through their employers. Bummer for you.

jmo

Advice from a friend ...I asked "Quick question- does anyone think that coronavirus will be put on the back burner for most folks? I mean not a priority anymore? Maybe because of "coronavirus news fatigue"? Or because folks have very short attention spans and if this thing isn't right in my backyard at this moment, then nothing to worry about.
I think there will be a time where others will just ignore it all. Only a few of us will understand what is really going on or even care."
And he replied:
"Yes, people already seem to be tired of hearing about it, but denial of reality can only last so long as a protective mechanism..when the problem can no longer be ignored, dismissed, ridiculed, argued against, or minimized. These will be the people who will panic the most, and become desperate. Desperate people do desperate things.

Just because it's happening "over there" doesn't mean it can't "happen here." The messaging from the CDC is saying it "can happen here" which is important to condition people. Cognitive dissonance writ large, for the most part.

But, look, you can try to convince others, but it's really not your job. It's almost too late for a large governmental response. It just ensures the eventual problem and the necessary response just keeps getting larger and larger. Look at Italy. They can't contain it. They cancelled all public events, cinemas, etc. Just prepare yourself and those who are open to it. Others? Well, they make their own choices."

I think the problem is those who decide that 'it can't happen to me' will continue to affect those who are trying to be diligent in protecting themselves and those they love...as in public transportation...so in other words, you want to stay healthy, you think you would still like to live your live, well you stay home, that's your only option. The rest of us are still going to party on...despite the possibility that our local govt just told us to avoid gatherings of more than 10...

Grrr....I'm listening and so upset with the reporters! One asked about cost of the test and the answer was the test will be covered under private health insurance, Medicare and Medicaid. WELL WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE INSURANCE?!

Good luck to the poor suckers who don't have health insurance through their employers. Bummer for you.

jmo

What does that mean, in real terms? How many people do not have the sort of insurance to cover the costs of the test, and have we any idea much they'd have to pay for it?

jmo
To clarify, I'm upset with the reporters for not persisting with questions about the cost for the uninsured. Press the issue (pardon the pun)!

jmo

Update from my daughter at a Seattle university:

All her professors are now recording the lectures and putting online for anyone who is feeling sick or too scared to go to class. She said her classes were less than half full. Final exams are online. Campus is eerily quiet.

Update from my Costco in San Antonio:

Zero water or toilet paper of any kind. But I’m stocked up on coffee! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members